Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #31
BFYOOT

well said bent 8. if it looks like a monkey, sounds like a monkey, and acts like a monkey, fair bet.........
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #32
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just a couple of things

if u dont let p platers have pasangers than you might end up with 5 mates hooning around in 5 different cars instead of just 1

takin the age from 16 to 18 ( in some states ) is stupid. alot of people start doin apprentiships at 16 and need there license to get to and from work.

if you only let them drive 4 clinyder cars ur gonna have alot more p platers in shitboxs rather than nice safe family cars like the falcon
[dave] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #33
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Well, not adding to the list or anything but IMO i think the whole 'no engine mods' is really bad, 'its not the size of the engine, its how you use it' as pauly of fat pizza says. im starting to see more people yank the handbreak in small cars going around round-a-bouts than p platers in v8's and supercharged 6's spin the wheels!

I say if you commit a hoon offence or ANY speeding fines THEN inforce the engine mods but seriously where has customisation gone these days? Ya cant do basically anything custom without it being illegal these days
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #34
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [dave]

if u dont let p platers have pasangers than you might end up with 5 mates hooning around in 5 different cars instead of just 1
Thats a good idea.
Then if there is gonna be a crash, let there be one victim instead of 5.
cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #35
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Threads like this, whilst they appear to be constructive, will mean stuff all and have dot points worth little if no impact to the problems they are intended to fix.
So to keep it short i will say- the type of 'p' plater that is likely to take any notice of tighter restrictions is not the type of 'p' plater who will wipe himself and 4 mates out whilst driving at crazy speeds with a gut full of dutch courage.
If you introduce tighter restrictions, the type of 'p' plater who will be a fool now will be the same fool, but will aquire a slightly longer list of offences.
And for those fools who do get caught before they kill themselves and accompanying party, i would say that even with their licence revoked they would still continue to drive albeit without a licence/rego and therefore no compulsory 3rd party bodily insurance to cover the poor soul they hit.

Nothing short of introducing the death penalty/lifelong incarseration for DUi/Hooning related fatal accidents will have much impact and i cant see that happening anytime soon!
thats it!!!
thread closed...
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #36
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz351
Thats a good idea.
I think this is at the crux of the passenger restrictions, the frequency of bad multi passenger accidents V single occupant accidents... the "egg on" or showing off factor seems to be a big issue...

Old 29-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #37
burkie_21
wild xr8

i totally agree with the driver training courses being compulsery but it does make it difficult for the people who live 3 or 4 hours from a place that does them. why dont they jus restrict any forced induction, v8, and any modifications, anyone can tell if a car has been modded so they will get caught. i know some 6 cylinders are powerful, but they are all new cars to, that are alot safer than our old falcons.
burkie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #38
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats a good idea.
I agree with alot of what you have said, however in this case there is also 5 chances of a crash instead of 1. It works both ways. However as 4v man said there is then tendancy to show off when you have a car full of mates, so yea its got + and - both ways.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #39
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilXR8
I agree with alot of what you have said, however in this case there is also 5 chances of a crash instead of 1. It works both ways.
True, but what are the chances of all five crashing?? Minimal at best.
Old 29-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #40
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Power restrictions are there to limit excessive "uncontrollable" acceleration with people inexperienced or mature enough to cope or control it more than just outright speed, although outright speed is an issue in itself... E.G: "nailing" a hyundai around a corner will be far more predictable and controllable than "nailing" a turbo VL...

Old 29-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #41
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes but when ur driving wiht ur mates 1 shows off and the otehr 4 will try to do the same

thats 5 chances of hittin a innocent party
Old 29-10-2007, 05:03 PM   #42
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
yes but when ur driving wiht ur mates 1 shows off and the otehr 4 will try to do the same

Do us a favour and leave the text talk for phones.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #43
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Can i have that in English?

Old 29-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #44
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Thats 5 morons who don't deserve licences, if you ask me.

What are you trying to tell us Dave?? That you condone hooning and other moronic behavior on the roads??
Surely, you've got to show some common sense when your behind the wheel and be prepared to stand up and be held responsible for your actions?

I can't tell you the number of times I've either walked of taxi'd home rather than get in a car with a mate who was drunk. I've also literally jumped out of cars when the driver is not up to my standard. It my life after all and if I'm not going to take responsibility for it, who will??
Old 29-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #45
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Why do we need any P-plate laws at all? If you look at the statistics, they're mostly killing themselves or their bogan mates, with the odd exception. Look at it as a form of natural selection. Note that these tragic (but very newsworthy!) occurrences seem to be pretty evenly distributed between states with tough P-plate laws (vic, nsw) and states with virtually no p-plate laws (NT, QLD until recently)

Realistically, if it wasn't for the "current affairs" media, this wouldn't be a subject for discussion. There's plenty of people on the roads as dangerous or more dangerous than P-platers - my 90+ year old grandparents who have been diagnosed with dementia but no one will revoke their licences. Drink Drivers. Shiftworkers driving home after 20 hours without sleep. Interstate truck drivers. E-series drivers. People with serious depressive conditions driving. People driving unroadworthy cars. People who regardless of age, experience, disability or type of car simply CANNOT DRIVE.

ra, ra, ra... Do we post up thread after endless, repetitive thread about laws for the elderley or the terminally incompetent? No, we don't. Get over it.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #46
burkie_21
wild xr8

i think it comes down to the male brain to especially for younger people in there cars, its a case of 'if you can do it i can do it better'
burkie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #47
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
True, but what are the chances of all five crashing?? Minimal at best.
Indeed very minimal, but there would have to be more accidents with up to 5 times the amount of P-plate cars running around wouldnt there?. Which is some cases is not the only car involed. E.G a 1 person P-plate car is involved with another car carrying a family.
I dont really mind this rule anyway, as now i dont have to be taxi for my mates, however it does make it hard when going on trips or to parties. Two mates and I went to a concert in sydney and it was a real hassle having to take two cars down instead of 1.
Old 29-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #48
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
This is what i don't get, there are literally hundreds of driver training courses avaliable to people RIGHT NOW!!!
People keep flogging driver training as the fix of all evils, well its avaliable to people NOW!!!
Why should the govt pay for it? Why should people need to be forced to do it?Take responsibility for your own ability.
I do agree though, attitude is everthing..
no amount of driver training will solve that though....
I don't see the Govt should be forced to do it but i do see some sort of subsidy being available to the kids who wish to take these options.

Our kids are lucky we forked out for driver taining etc but for many it can be an expensive thing. So maybe

Sub general driver trianing, and advanced driver training.

This could be a combination of Federal Govt, State Govt, and private business.

In addition i can not see why part of these speeding fines and hoon law fines can not be allocated to this area.

It would also become part of the licence process to go through these courses.

Also across the board, a better reward system for good drivers, by lowering insurance, and or any car related costs, may be better with a carrot rather than these big sticks being waved about.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #49
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I can't tell you the number of times I've either walked of taxi'd home rather than get in a car with a mate who was drunk. I've also literally jumped out of cars when the driver is not up to my standard. It my life after all and if I'm not going to take responsibility for it, who will??
Top point that, I wont drive with two of my mates because they are complete knobs when driving. Oh and neither own high performance cars, both 4 bangers.
Old 29-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #50
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats 5 morons who don't deserve licences, if you ask me.

What are you trying to tell us Dave?? That you condone hooning and other moronic behavior on the roads??
Surely, you've got to show some common sense when your behind the wheel and be prepared to stand up and be held responsible for your actions?

i am a p plater

i dont like hoon driving or these stupid laws there bringing in cause there just gonna cause more accidents

the other month i was at a party and 2 of my mates are not allowed to have passangers after 12am till 6am we all got drunk but 1 of those 2 mates. at about 2am those 2 mates left in seperate cars to go home as they could not have passangers. 10 minutes later that 1 mate came back to tell us that the other 1 had put his car into a tree.

they were pretty much nieghbours if they didnt have those resirctions than they would of came in 1 car and left in 1 car

as drink driving is stupid and wrong and i lernt the hard way but havin more resirctions is only goin to let this happen more because us young people dont think.
Old 29-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #51
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Can i have that in English?
yes but when your driving with your mates 1 shows off the other 4 will try to do the same

thats 5 chances of hitting a innocent party
Old 29-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #52
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i am a p plater

i dont like hoon driving or these stupid laws there bringing in cause there just gonna cause more accidents

the other month i was at a party and 2 of my mates are not allowed to have passangers after 12am till 6am we all got drunk but 1 of those 2 mates. at about 2am those 2 mates left in seperate cars to go home as they could not have passangers. 10 minutes later that 1 mate came back to tell us that the other 1 had put his car into a tree.

they were pretty much nieghbours if they didnt have those resirctions than they would of came in 1 car and left in 1 car

as drink driving is stupid and wrong and i lernt the hard way but havin more resirctions is only goin to let this happen more because us young people dont think.
I fell sorry for ya dave, I've been thru the same thing mate.

But without passenger restrictions, both guys could have had cars and up to 5 people in each. See what I'm getting at?

Like you said yourself, young people don't think. Don't think about the consequences. If they don't think the driver is p1ssed, or are to p1ssed to know what they are doing, and get in the car because there are no restrictions, then who knows what can happen.
Old 29-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #53
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i understand what your gettin at

i guess at the end of the day you can only try help some people but the rest wont listen

but one thing ITS JUST NOT P PLATERS
Old 29-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #54
Xitdxr
1.8 Turbo baby

Guys, here is a secret i will let you in on. If you have 5 cars around you egging and driving hard, your going to end up doing it yourself. If my mates are in the car with me, i am more likely just to sit back, cause your all joking and listening to music. Its the old saying monkey see monkey do, if your told to go faster, its easy to say no. And no, i dont condone speeding, but everyone does it once in a while, and its about the places you choose to do it that matters.
Xitdxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #55
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xitdxr
Guys, here is a secret i will let you in on. If you have 5 cars around you egging and driving hard, your going to end up doing it yourself. If my mates are in the car with me, i am more likely just to sit back, cause your all joking and listening to music. Its the old saying monkey see monkey do, if your told to go faster, its easy to say no. And no, i dont condone speeding, but everyone does it once in a while, and its about the places you choose to do it that matters.
So, let me get this right...

Your saying that your 5 mates in your car will help to stop you acting like a monkey, but you also say that monkey see monkey do. Which one is it? Or does this make sense in your world??
Old 29-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #56
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BOOST
I seriuosly cant understand why car lisences arn't like motorbike lisences.
You can only get a 250cc on your L's why dont they make it.... You can only drive a 4 cyl on you P's on a car lisence (not modified at that)
When I was on my P's (Only 1 year ago), I owned 2 cars. One car was a daily driver 4 cylinder buzz box and the other a V8 which weighed the same as the 4 cylinder buzz box. Both hit speeds high enough to kill you and or innocent parties instantly just the V8 got there slightly quicker. You can kill yourself and others at 60km/h. Yet a low powered 1.5 litre 4 cylinder will hit about 180 on a faily long piece of road. Limiting the cylinders, or power to weight restrictions will change nothing. People will still test the acceleration and or top speed of almost every car they get and every car will be able to reach a speed that can kill.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #57
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

okay so this has suddenly taken off today hasn't it!

some say we scrap the power restrictions, others don't personally, been a p-plater, and copping the flack i cop, i do have to say i think they are a good idea, why do i think so? because some-one freshly onto their P's might not have the experience to control a 300rwkw XR6/VL Turbo.

i beleive because of my past experiences i drive quite different to a lot of people, however the other thing that makes a HUGE! difference is the fact i drive an old car, i can't get over how much better i can drive then most of my mates (that sounds bloody pig headed but when you see a mate spin out in a VX commodore, and you dont, it sort of stands out that they can't drive, and im not saying im some super marvel driver either)

i think now, after reading the posts in the thread, i think an EFFECTIVE idea would be an OPTIONAL driver training scheme, where if you take the extra driver training, 1 year gets taken off the amount of time you spend on your P's.

Last edited by XCSEDAN; 29-10-2007 at 07:29 PM.
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #58
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCSEDAN
i think now, after reading the posts in the thread, i think an EFFECTIVE idea would be an OPTIONAL driver training scheme, where if you take the extra driver training, 1 year gets taken off the amount of time you spend on your P's.
Maybe a series of courses or training can add up to a year off provisional licence. A 1 day defensive driver course is not enough to remove a whole year.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #59
T-BOOST
Blue Power enhanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
When I was on my P's (Only 1 year ago), I owned 2 cars. One car was a daily driver 4 cylinder buzz box and the other a V8 which weighed the same as the 4 cylinder buzz box. Both hit speeds high enough to kill you and or innocent parties instantly just the V8 got there slightly quicker. You can kill yourself and others at 60km/h. Yet a low powered 1.5 litre 4 cylinder will hit about 180 on a faily long piece of road. Limiting the cylinders, or power to weight restrictions will change nothing. People will still test the acceleration and or top speed of almost every car they get and every car will be able to reach a speed that can kill.
Yes well a 1000cc doesn't weigh that much more than a 250cc either and both will do the same damage as you have said about your cars.
But you have also stated an obvious reason why this is in place for motor bikes and should be for cars in your post, it's QUICKER, Less reaction time!
Not to mention more torque to loose control in other situations.

also selling my C.A.P.A tune box

pics of my Turbo Ghia are here
EGO TTG
Dont forget to rate it :
T-BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #60
T-BOOST
Blue Power enhanced

Quote:
I don't think that power restrictions work too well. A old datto can still do 100km per hour on an old country road.... If you restrict the power levels, they will not be used to the new power level once they get access to it. That in itself could create accidents.
What the hell are you on?
So giving someone a heap of power before having any experiance on the roads is a better idea is it? Grow up mate

A datto can get up to speeds that kill, yes but a powerfull car can get there a hell of a lot quicker, as iv'e stated above alot less reaction time for someone with little experiance is very dangerous!!

also selling my C.A.P.A tune box

pics of my Turbo Ghia are here
EGO TTG
Dont forget to rate it :
T-BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post