Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #31
perrys

Looks pretty nice, but I rekon its still a half decent effort by Toyota. I'm much more interested in other 2 Toyotas coming next year.
IS-F
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGzxddyrwZk
LF-A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0m9FaT2Ltk
perrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #32
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Was thinking the same thing......

People who buy these cars wont be down the pub bragging about who has the most kw or the fastest 1/4 mile time.
Agreed. But your nuts if you think its going to hassle a F6/GT; it might come close but it wont beat them.

Nevertheless it will be interesting, and the more the merrier. That interior (minus the seats) is absolutely horrid.

I wish we had a TV show like Top Gear here, as I DGAF what Motor/Wheels thinks, not a smart move to 'dis the hand that feeds you.

Im trying to think of a similar vehicle. People say the MPS, but its electronics would want to be utterly amazing to even keep up with that.

The last FWD performance sedan I can recall would be the Magna Ralliart or the Taurus SHO.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #33
rodderz

I must be in the other category. Don't mind the inside but the outside looks as boring as the normal camry sedan. The front spoiler looks a bit mismatched to me
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #34
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
Re: FWD only if it is $56k with FWD and AWD was ditched because of price, imagine how much a (higher powered) AWD would come in at? Although being Toyota maybe they could have “bought” the market, sold an AWD model at a loss for the halo model.
I thought the camery platform can only be FWD, so there's no option for them to make it. I guess if this is a hit then they'll redesign the next platform to have it and bring more punters in.

But that much power and FWD pretty silly.

I couldn't care less I dont like Toyota's anyway.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #35
fordAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
Its still a Camry and its still ugly
I second that motion, those crazy Tokyo boys, a would be if it could be, an XR6T would wipe the foor with it.

Starting price of around $56,990
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #36
marcosambrose

I may be wrong but its actually in a catergory of its own..

High performance 4 door FWD large saloon?

what are its competitiors? 380? nah not powerful enough, Liberty? nah thats AWD, Accord? nah still not powerful enough...

Im telling you its going to be a stellar, toyota are great at flogging its cars to fleets and expect 1000 middle managers near you to be thrashing these babys up and down the boulevard...

my opinion...
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #37
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Prediction time:

a) It will outperform both FPV and HSV around Winton...
Hmm maybe. It'll need to be in the 1:43's to do that. Maybe the TRD guys might fiddle with their media test car the way some other manufacturer’s do? Bigger gearing for the supercharger pulley and high wear wheel alignments (lots of camber and neg camber)

The 380 beat an HSV VZ (and Holden SS?) in a wheels slalom test a few years ago.

There is the possibility that a FWD would go quicker than some FPV/HSV’s around Winton (say an auto XR8 or GT especially if it was off form) but it would take a pretty good one. I don’t think that this TRD can do it (I’d be happy to be proven wrong).
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #38
jarridtheruler
I wish I was offshore....

I am honestly convinced that toyota are unable to make a nice looking car.
They just cannot help themselves, they just keep churning out crap, and the worst thing is people buy them, cos its a 'toyota' which are always (apparently) better
jarridtheruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #39
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Just another point:

The TRD Aurion is said to be a competitor to the Mazda6 MPS but the rumours are that production of the Mazda 6 MPS is set to end due to poor sales (at a time when Mazda is at maximum capacity and looking at opening more plants).
Mazda 6 MPS production has wound up as the new 6 is not that far away and the MPS is a halo car for Mazda and not a mainstream model as such. They actually do quite a lot of work that is structural to the cars and a lot of components are different, over a normal 6 and I hear they are built in batches because of it. Plans are underway for a new MPS in two years time on the new 6 platform. Expect a 2.5 DISI Turbo.

As an aside, as a current Mazda 6 MPS owner I would not trade my car in for this Toyota. For one thing my car is AWD and for another it is also faster.

Anyway an interesting first attempt, but they need to make it cost around the same as an SS or XR8 to be competitive - this is not a HSV or FPV competitor. For non "Toyota tribalists" its a bit of stretch to image a Subaru or Mazda owner changing over to one.

Dan

Last edited by DanielXR8; 21-08-2007 at 06:34 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 06:35 PM   #40
FDG 220
Confused lil guy

1 thing i like about Toyota's is that there motors are OVER engineered BIG time - look at the 2JZ motors in the Supra's for example

If these motors are ANYTHING like that i'd like to see some numbers after a tuner gets there hands on one

But at end of day the FWD platform will be it's downfall, if one of these were made in AWD then i could see some serious gains to be had and a LOT of guys buying them for significant other half
FDG 220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #41
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Looks cheap and nasty, interior is pathetically bland for a performance car.

Only thing that looks nice are the seats and it's not what people will look at when you drive past in it
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #42
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks bloody similar to a VE commodore! (That's not a compliment)
Old 21-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #43
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The front looks like it got punched in the bottom lip and it's swollen. The back looks like a constipated anime face or something.. I'm thinking the angry blocks out of mario kart 64.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #44
bingoTE50
Steve

There is a Police Aurion getting around on the Gold Coast and looks quite good. I have test driven a ATX Aurion ( 200kw) and was not keen on it . The finish was a bit ordinary , and to dial out torque steer , the turns to lock was like a V8 HQ holden with out power steering. To go around a roundabout , it was a 3/4 turn.. so how are they going to dial out torque steer with 245kw plus.. They may use a similar system as the MPS Mazda 3 which limits torque in 1st and 2nd. I think they look ok , but not real keen on the rear skirt and exhaust assy. Would I buy one , nah...
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #45
Steffo
LPG > You

$56,990 for a 3.5L 245kW 400Nm FWD V6 S/C sedan that will get hosed by a $43k XR6 Turbo? No thanks.

Its only 3k less then a manual F6 Typhoon... and there is absolutley no contest there. One is one of the fastest sedans in its class in the world and the fastest Australian sedan ever built... the other is another tacky, cheap, heapocrap Toyota with more power then it should ever have through the wheels it drives.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 07:42 PM   #46
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the aurion in base model is an alright car.... too much power for the front wheels found that the hard way

that TRD looks hot, LOVE the seats...but they havent changed the interior at all its still the same as the camry???? the dash cluster looks alright though even in base model

only thing i hope the do is make that gearbox alot more responsive....and FFS get rid of that foot hand brake jeez

BTW - i didnt buy an aurion i had one for 2 weeks.... rental car.... brand spanking new and did i test it.... oh and yes id own one i wouldnt pay for it though

they do about 550kms to 1 tank of prob el cheapo rental car fuel... and thats thrashing it.... it was the roughest first 1000kms that car does

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #47
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't look half bad actually. Reckon they should have AWD.

Spose I have to look forward to old men having a midlife crisis trying to have go :
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #48
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look's alright, But price is a killer on it. I'll save my 10k and have the funner, torquier and RWD XR6T for that price. 57k is even edging to F6 typhoon territory. Torque steer would be a shocker ... Is it available in manual? The article only suggest's an auto.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 08:52 PM   #49
Focused

FWD...??? Hmmm... no.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #50
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Default If it was rwd and had this engine ! Then I'd consider?

Toyota Nascar engine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toyota Nasca engine.jpg (81.4 KB, 56 views)
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #51
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a bit pricey but it looks very nice.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #52
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

I would like to think Ford Orion models have an option for similar interior colours. Other than that its just another FWD Toyota to me. Might see some cooler old dudes at the Bowls Club with one. But not me.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #53
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Pretty quick to diss a car that actually hasn't been tested or reviewed yet.

Not saying it will be on par with any of the FPV/HSV offerings at its price point, but sheesh! Quick to junk it.

This thing will sell to its target, and that's really all Toyota Australia care about. In the future, you'll see the platform change as they inevitably work out that having rwd or awd will make them more money... It's only time.
Old 21-08-2007, 10:08 PM   #54
b2tf
not here much anymore

Actually saw a whole truckload of these on the way through town a few weeks back, had no idea what it was until I saw the AURION badge and then figured it must have been these. At least 10 of them all painted that Metallic Red. Look great in the flesh.
Old 21-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #55
one

V6 Camry with body kit, overpriced, front wheel drive and automatic (ie 2 pedals). Yawn I'm so excited, NOT
Old 21-08-2007, 10:57 PM   #56
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Looks good on the outside and the seats are grand, but the dash (and the steering wheel OMG) are very ugly.

$56K is a lot of clams for a mega Camry too.

I know I spent $43K on a FWD XR5 and I love it to bits, but for $50K+ I want RWD or AWD and more goodies than this car offers.

That said, a up-specced Typhoon would be $8K-10K dearer and have about the same in toys too, so at the end of the day it appears RWD is the real sticking point.

Last edited by MeestaNob!; 21-08-2007 at 11:02 PM.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #57
andrewts
White Car Driver

So we've got FWD, permanently on traction control, a floor mounted park brake, cheap plastic clad dash, bland interior, a bodykit, a cheap and woeful stereo, a seat which whilst good and comfy looking has it's left bolster pressed hard against the console...

Wait a minute, somebody has just supercharged an Aurion. I would have expected more for that price... oh well.
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 11:26 PM   #58
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never been a fan of Toyota styling of any sort.

The exterior and interior may not appeal to all, but there is a strong Toyota following too. One of my tennis team mates hates Holdens and Fords but swears by Toyotas for their reliability and resale value. Some people do not care as much about comfort or driveability.

I have no interest in this car, but I think it may do OK simply due to buyer's perception.

The front and side is ok, but I think the lights at the rear of both Camry and Aurion are terrible.

But we'll let the market decide.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 01:37 AM   #59
fordAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Spose I have to look forward to old men having a midlife crisis trying to have go :
Your safe, us old codgers end up driving XR8's :hihi:
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 02:46 AM   #60
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Have any of the posters to date actually driven a supercharged production car?

The only one I've driven was a Jaguar, and until you enjoy a supercharger you have no idea how fun they are (far better than a turbo).

My only reservation is with the FWD, but if they have decent traction control I'm sure most of the torque steer can be dialled out (Toyota is pretty clever with that sort of stuff). Looking forward to the reviews, although I'm unlikely to buy one. But you never know...
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote