Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-03-2007, 10:02 AM   #31
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYSEDAN
herd about the new P-plate laws? NO V8's!!!!
P platers have had a power restriction for decades. When I was on my P's, I wasn't allowed to drive the family's 6 cylinder Cortina because of it's power to weight ratio. This was under a Liberal government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GT
Seriously, I do not think a change of government would relax on the camera issue, especially if as much revenue as stated is being raised.
Exactly right.
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 10:21 AM   #32
Steady ED
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Should be less risk as they would be linked to a central computer.
I would think that's more risk.
Adding an extra level of complexity to anything is going to introduce more risk of component failure and/or error.

To prove my point, previously your speed was measured once by the strips in the road, a picture was snapped, stored, and the fine sent out if speeding.

Now, with the new system, as far as I understand, you go under the radars, a picture of your numberplate is, taken, recognised and stored (whether you are actually speeding at the time or not).
You continue travelling, you get to the next camera, another picture of your numberplate is taken, recognised, stored, the numberplates are matched, the time between the two points is compared to get a distance over time reading, and if it's too fast, the fine is sent out.

I also wonder if the numberplate recognition system is similar to what is used in alot of servos?
Dunno if anyone else does it, but when I'm lining up to pay for my petrol, I always watch the screens, and it's a bit of worry.
Picking up signage on trucks is the most common thing, and seeing as trucks are a fairly common occurence on the ring road, they'd want to have a more accurate system...

Might have to get around to changing my speedo sender gear instead of just following traffic flow :togo:
Steady ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #33
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady ED
Now, with the new system, as far as I understand, you go under the radars, a picture of your numberplate is, taken, recognised and stored (whether you are actually speeding at the time or not).
You continue travelling, you get to the next camera, another picture of your numberplate is taken, recognised, stored, the numberplates are matched, the time between the two points is compared to get a distance over time reading, and if it's too fast, the fine is sent out.

I also wonder if the numberplate recognition system is similar to what is used in alot of servos?
Dunno if anyone else does it, but when I'm lining up to pay for my petrol, I always watch the screens, and it's a bit of worry.
Picking up signage on trucks is the most common thing, and seeing as trucks are a fairly common occurence on the ring road, they'd want to have a more accurate system...

Might have to get around to changing my speedo sender gear instead of just following traffic flow :togo:
I think you'll find it is the same, or based on, the Safe-T-Cam system that we have and the pics are NOTHING like the el-cheapo ones in servo's.

The system was developed by the RTA and the CSIRO. Our RTA may be a bunch of dorks but not the CSIRO.

See here... http://vision.cmit.csiro.au/project/stc/ and here http://vision.cmit.csiro.au/project/alpr/
Old 17-03-2007, 02:52 PM   #34
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so when are all of us on this forum going to do something productive and shoot them all down in one night?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #35
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

I don't really under stand what you are complianing about. Yesterday we went on the western ring road from the western hwy to sydney rd in peak hour traffic and never got out of 3rd gear. I think this western ring road is a joke for trafic flow it's becoming like the old south eastern/monash fwy car park. : :
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph

Last edited by RspecAU; 17-03-2007 at 06:50 PM.
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post