Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #31
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

G6ET ftw!

I understand the wagon looks nice, but no nicer than a G6ET, and you spend most time inside the car. The G6ET is supposed to have the better interior by a fair margin.

As for powerplants, I reckon the I6T is a cracker.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #32
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

When it comes to the overall package the G6E Turbo wins hands down, looks better, drivers better, drinks less, goes alot faster lol, and the Sportswagons have a tiny cargo area for a wagon, i think the Mondeo is bigger
Old 21-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #33
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in a similar situation to you in that I had a BA wagon, have something bigger now for carrying the dog, dirty stuff etc and bought the G6ET which my wife mostly drives to work (Melb CBD) and back daily. It is without doubt the best car Ford Aust have produced. It's build quality and interior are a step above previous efforts and design wise right up there with most cars of similar price range. The boot swallows more then enough if you don't need full station wagon load volume and gives far better security. If you drive it in normal flows the fact it's a turbo is disguised. However knowing you have a "psycho in sheeps clothing" is somewhat ego boosting. Drive it normally and it's a tougher sounding I6 most times, give it WOT and very few cars will be able to know what left them behind.

I agree the VE Sportwagon Calais-V V8 is the only Holden I would consider. However, behind the wheel it doesn't matter what the exterior looks like, it's the interior you have to live with, 24/7 and it's already dated plus the A-pillar is a bugger to look past. The VE is not upto the finish, features or appearance of the G6ET. And if you're carrying work colleages/clients, you'll have fun explaining that all those roadtests and car of the year awards were spot on, before you push them back into their seats to sample the performance, it's was Australia's best kept secret however that is changing...

It has class & road presence, full safety and breathtaking performance...and if you average 30km/hr+ on the trip comp, I'll guarantee you'll see excellent fuel economy.

PS. if you have a high fuel use average with 30km/hr + average speeds then you're just having too much fun driving, :...and I see nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 21-12-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #34
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It really depends how much you need to carry.. to be honest you could mount extremely stong cases for either car depending on needs...
I wish Ford Made a DILPG G6E and G6ET wagon.. but i understand why they don't....

Old 21-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #35
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Go the G6ET for sure. Class leading quality (TGW the FG is the best built Aussie car), outstanding performance, terrific economy and better refinement.

Wheels had a test where the G6ET used about 20% less fuel and went nearly 0.75s faster to 0-100kmh. Roll on, the G6ET just killed it.

Add in a more luxurious interior, better vision (no stupidly large blindspot) & a classy exterior the G6ET is YOUR car.

If you need to store long / large objects, then the rear seats fold down and will offer as much space as the VE Sportwagon.

The VE wagon looks really nice in Calais form, but it's already starting to date, particularly interior wise.

G6ET by a mile. About the same gap you'd put on a Calais when you gunned it.

PS Car advice did a recent test, the G6ET finished 1st out of 6 cars. The VE Calais last.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #36
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Go the G6ET for sure. Class leading quality (TGW the FG is the best built Aussie car), outstanding performance, terrific economy and better refinement.

Wheels had a test where the G6ET used about 20% less fuel and went nearly 0.75s faster to 0-100kmh. Roll on, the G6ET just killed it.

Add in a more luxurious interior, better vision (no stupidly large blindspot) & a classy exterior the G6ET is YOUR car.

If you need to store long / large objects, then the rear seats fold down and will offer as much space as the VE Sportwagon.

The VE wagon looks really nice in Calais form, but it's already starting to date, particularly interior wise.

G6ET by a mile. About the same gap you'd put on a Calais when you gunned it.

PS Car advice did a recent test, the G6ET finished 1st out of 6 cars. The VE Calais last.
But what if you MUST have the extra carry space..?

Old 21-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #37
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Time for a change in preference - and it's not for the Calais either.

So - do you REALLY need a wagon? If yes (and you want to stay with Ford), why not check out the Mondeo Zetec wagon?

It has (heaps) more space in the rear (2163L vs 2000L). The interior is bigger than it may seem from the outside. The rear seating has ample leg room for really tall people. Fully adjustable seat, pedals and steering column means perfect seating position is actually possible!

The interior quality & design is even better than both the FG & VE.

Mondeo

Calais

It is better on fuel (2.3L 4 cyl. 6spd auto - 9.5/100k vs 6.0L V8 AFM 6spd auto - 12.6/100k)!

Ok, so it's not quite a V8, but it's still great car to drive! Handling & ride on par with Calais easily!

Otherwise - G6ET all the way! lol

Hopefully I have been of assistance...

Last edited by fou_bleu; 21-12-2009 at 10:41 PM.
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #38
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

The fact you even considered the Holden ::togo:

...means you don't deserve to be in a Ford. :

Get the Calais! _

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
We just replaced a VE Calais 6 litre V8 sedan with a G6E T.. All 3 of us in the family agree that the G6ET is sooooo much better then the calais ever was, in comfort, refinement, economy and power!! It just smashes it..

We had the calais for 3 years and bought it brand new as one of the first VEs, then it was nice but the FG is just soooooo much better it isnt funny!
No regrets in choosing this over the Merc, Brent?
Old 22-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #39
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
But what if you MUST have the extra carry space..?
Terri Turbo mid next year?
Old 22-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #40
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Terri Turbo mid next year?
Id be in one now if it wasn't for the 20l/100k urban fuel consumption!

Old 22-12-2009, 07:33 AM   #41
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...2&postcount=11
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #42
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Geez, are they that thirsty ?
Old 22-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #43
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Geez, are they that thirsty ?
Frightening isnt it...

Old 22-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #44
Director

dont forget the FG has loads and loads of boot space, I understand the practicality of the wagon however the space in the boot of the FG is quite understated, that alone answers one of your predicaments (Hopefully)

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Director is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #45
Paddyboy

[QUOTE=Falc'man]The fact you even considered the Holden ::togo:

...means you don't deserve to be in a Ford. :

Get the Calais! _

haha very funny.
Look the only reason im considering a holden is im open to what is a good car, Ive already stated that in terms of ride, quality and power the G6ET wins. BUT... A big thing for me is looks as well and the wagon to me looks just as good as the FG. And a wagon would be handy..

But im thinking, after I test drive the wagon today, if im not satisfied with the ride, I will buy the missus a wagon (ba probably) and ill get the G6ET. Im starting to sway that way.

I love the G6ET optional 19" wheels but ive heard the rides better with the standard 18's, is that correct? I love the 19's though they are sexy as.
Old 22-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #46
TP351
Lurker

I'm looking at buying a new car, tossing up between a Mini Cabrio and an F250............ WTF??? :
TP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #47
Paddyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP351
I'm looking at buying a new car, tossing up between a Mini Cabrio and an F250............ WTF??? :
And the point of your post is? If you dont have anything helpful keep it to yourself, thanks.
Old 22-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #48
kinksta
Luxojet

i just got my G6E turbo last friday, and mate...get it. i drove a few other cars, from amg's to 300c's....g6et all the way. just so ergonomic inside. I do a helluva lot of driving and wouldn't want to spend that time driving anything else...at this stage anyway
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #49
Paddyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
i just got my G6E turbo last friday, and mate...get it. i drove a few other cars, from amg's to 300c's....g6et all the way. just so ergonomic inside. I do a helluva lot of driving and wouldn't want to spend that time driving anything else...at this stage anyway
sweet man, thats helpful, It is a beautiful car.
Old 22-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #50
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The question is a very reasonable one which im faced with too.. simply put the G6E boot is not big enough for the stuff i need to carry day to day especially the gas version which is embarrassingly small, its becoming depressing thinking i may need to look at the dark side....

Old 22-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #51
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

That Holden is not a Sportswagon, it's a Sportshatch. There is bugger all space back there. If you need a real wagon for practical reasons get a BFIII proper "wagon", otherwise the boot of an FG should be ok pretty much all of the time.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #52
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The question is a very reasonable one which im faced with too.. simply put the G6E boot is not big enough for the stuff i need to carry day to day especially the gas version which is embarrassingly small, its becoming depressing thinking i may need to look at the dark side....

Agreed. Whilst some may criticise the boot space of the Holden, its not necessarily the boot space which is the most attractive part of the wagon, its the flexibility. You can move and fit stuff in a wagon you could never dream of in a sedan. Got a dog? chuck it in the boot. Moving a washing machine? chuck it in the boot, moving a bike or some garden chairs? fold down the seats and chuck it in. So its not so much the space, its the way you can use it which is so good.

Its why after owning Fords all my life, I decided test drive a SV6 and SS Sportwagon a couple of weeks back. Im waiting on the Falcon wagon announcement to see what I do.

Last edited by Brazen; 22-12-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #53
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaby
That Holden is not a Sportswagon, it's a Sportshatch. There is bugger all space back there. If you need a real wagon for practical reasons get a BFIII proper "wagon", otherwise the boot of an FG should be ok pretty much all of the time.
Agree 100%, the Holden is not a true wagon, but its "big enough" for most domestic or flexible reping needs.
UNFORTUNATELY it is the ideal size for my requirements, i hate to say it but it makes the sedan almost irrelevant, which is why i suspect its replacing the sedan in the sales..
For my particular requirements the falcon boot is not big enough, id have to carry half my stuff on the back seat and it would be impossible to carry samples to customers..
So i either buy the current Falcon wagon and live with the extremely dated boring "un luxurious" styling or look at other options like a turbo terri or Calais sportshatch....

Old 22-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #54
Mansal

I have the same dilemma myself - looking at trading in the Focus for a G6E-T, or a more family-friendly option like a Terri or Wagon (I have an old EB-II Wagon which I find parting with very difficult, even when it leaves me stranded in the middle of nowhere on the Western HWY!).

That said, I too have a need for features like ride comfort, utility space, economy and of course - power! Selecting between the four is a tradeoff (I've considered XR6T, Terri, Mondeo Wagon, G6ET). Ultimately what features you opt for (and subsequently what car you choose) will leave you short on the features you didn't select.

So I guess for me, deciding on the most suitable car has been more about what aftermarket substitute I can get in the car I choose - (ie: If I chose Terri for space, what LPG options) and so on.

Cut a long story short, I'm in favour of the G6ET and would consider one of them space capsule things that you mount on the root - for the few times in the year I pack the car with family and junk and go on holiday, and for the few times I need the cargo space - borrow my old man's trailer!

Consider how you can practically and reasonably substitute one feature over another - the car with the best balance of features you're after + reasonable substitute options there are available is your choice.
Mansal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #55
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyboy
I love the G6ET optional 19" wheels but ive heard the rides better with the standard 18's, is that correct? I love the 19's though they are sexy as.
I find the ride on the standard 18's more then fine for me, definately firmer then past ghia's. The 19's do look better however they do ride harsher, which over tram tracks etc can bounce you round a bit. IMHO the 18"s are spot on. IIRC the suspension isn't tuned any differently for the 19's.
Old 22-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #56
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Agreed. Whilst some may criticise the boot space of the Holden, its not necessarily the boot space which is the most attractive part of the wagon, its the flexibility. You can move and fit stuff in a wagon you could never dream of in a sedan. Got a dog? chuck it in the boot. Moving a washing machine? chuck it in the boot, moving a bike or some garden chairs? fold down the seats and chuck it in. So its not so much the space, its the way you can use it which is so good.

Its why after owning Fords all my life, I decided test drive a SV6 and SS Sportwagon a couple of weeks back. Im waiting on the Falcon wagon announcement to see what I do.
The trouble is washing machines and bikes will struggle to fit in a VE due to the shorter load depth and if you have a cargo barrier folding seats can't help. Reps that don't need cargo volume will be ok, however long loads that can't fit across will be in trouble.
Old 22-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #57
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
The trouble is washing machines and bikes will struggle to fit in a VE due to the shorter load depth and if you have a cargo barrier folding seats can't help. Reps that don't need cargo volume will be ok, however long loads that can't fit across will be in trouble.
Yeah, some loads need the seats folded - cargo barriers were not taken into consideration. In my case I wouldnt be optioning the cargo barrier.
Old 22-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #58
seduced_xr
BF XR6

if your getting a wagon for the wagon dont go anywhere near the VE. i drove one of dads reps work ones for a bit and you cant fit anything in that boot. the way the tail gate closes the boot is like a small triangle. cant put anything in it. i can fit about the same in the boot of my sedan.

dads a holden guy and has been for years. the BF 2 and the VE were released he made sure to test each fairly. ended up with a BF 2. change over a month ago. just bought an FG even he agrees the commodore is to outdated
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #59
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
if your getting a wagon for the wagon dont go anywhere near the VE. i drove one of dads reps work ones for a bit and you cant fit anything in that boot. the way the tail gate closes the boot is like a small triangle. cant put anything in it. i can fit about the same in the boot of my sedan.
If people need to fill their wagons with every cubic inch of space with stuff, then cargo capacity is important. But to some the point of a wagon is the flexibility to carry height, also to fold down the seats and to have a large load area. There is just no comparison to a sedan, its why in many parts of the world hatches and wagons are the predominate sellers over sedans.

Of course, people wouldnt be umming and ahhhing over a VE wagon if Ford had made a full range of FG wagons. The Falcon is the better car, but in sedan form is not the better package for many people.
Old 22-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #60
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Ppfffttt!!!
Don't believe everything published about fuel consumption.
After 45000k's mine's averaging 14-15lt/100.
This includes towing a 2T boat and caravan on occassions.
(Towing those weighs does ramp it up a fair bit, 21-22lt/100 : )