Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #661
RASER
Banned

Wink Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
how is a mustang similar?
Coupe
RWD
Sporty
Looker
Price

Least u can get a stonking big V8 in the Tang, who would want one with a weasy-6. i believe a base 8 is $7k more though, has a lot more gear in it though, not just the donk

Last edited by RASER; 27-06-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 27-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #662
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Yaaaawwwn...another copy and paste post from you.
We get it you don't like the car. So why keep posting in here like a troll?
You've had nothing constructive to add to the thread.
Show me where i said i did/nt like it?

NOT going to build a shrine to it though

I think the price is fabulous, and so do the buying public [job done]

Be lots and lost of pants shitting in the other Japanese factories one would think, bout time BigT smashed some heads and showed what fire-power it has, its early Lexus days all over again
Old 27-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #663
nstg8a

Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
Coupe
RWD
Sporty
Looker
Price

Least u can get a stonking big V8 in the Tang, who would want one with a weasy-6. i believe a base 8 is $65k more though
fixed it for you.
Old 27-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #664
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
fixed it for you.
lol

Not a hope in hell would i buy a Mustang6, V8 or walk

Just for reference:

86 [sold in USA as a Scion] US$24,930

Mustang 3.7L V6 US$22,995 [Yes, miles cheaper]
Mustang GT 5L V8 US$30,300 [Yes please!]
Mustang Boss 302 US$42,200 [HiPo V8]
Mustang Shelby GT500 US$54,300 [5.4 V8 Supercharged]

F150 3.7V6 302HP US$23,500

Cheers

Last edited by RASER; 27-06-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: 3.7 V6 = 302HP
Old 27-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #665
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I imagine the best we can all agree on is that it's good that car companies build a wide variety of cars to suit a wide variety of tastes...big heavy cars that need high output motors and which only really shine in quarter mile strips or 0-100 times but don't really like corners, cars for people who enjoy a sweet handler and look forward to learning how to get the most of whatever power it does have, etc etc.

One thing you have to remember about the 86 and the Subaru version...they now have a beautiful chassis package, with a plain boxer engine in it...for now...

...however, once you have the chassis, the expensive part of development is out of the way...nothing to stop them now plonking other boxers they have sitting on the shelf, say the storming STI turbo engines...into that sweet handler for limiter number high end cars, while letting Joe Average enjoy the same sweet handling for a very affordable price...and which also leaves itself open to future mods quite handily.
Clever.

. It's almost the opposite of what we've been used to from car makers...yes they might have a reasonably good handler in the lineup somewhere, but you won't get the same suspension in the base model. Take the control blade rear end in the Falcon...I think by the brochures there's at least three or four versions of it, depending on which model you choose...standard, luxury, performance, etc. The way they,ve done it with the 86 is that everyone gets the good handling chassis, whether you pay for the base model or plump for a higher spec car.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 27-06-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 28-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #666
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Coupe
RWD
Sporty
Looker
Price

Least u can get a stonking big V8 in the Tang, who would want one with a weasy-6. i believe a base 8 is $7k more though, has a lot more gear in it though, not just the donk

Can you please take me to my local Ford dealer where I can pick up my new V8 Mustang for $37k...
Old 28-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #667
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ford have had similar FOR DECADES, its called a Mustang
yeah real similar... where can i buy my Mustang in OZ for the same money?

Being 2 doors is about all they share, at least the 86 has decent rear suspension.
Old 28-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #668
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Show me where i said i did/nt like it?

NOT going to build a shrine to it though

I think the price is fabulous, and so do the buying public [job done]

Be lots and lost of pants shitting in the other Japanese factories one would think, bout time BigT smashed some heads and showed what fire-power it has, its early Lexus days all over again
It's the way you have directed your posts, there is a lot of negativity in each of your posts.
Old 28-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #669
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Driving a manual GTS Saturday. I'll report on what it's like for anyone who's interested.

Hers
BFII Ghia
Old 28-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #670
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Are you buying one GQ Smooth? If so, come see me!
Old 28-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #671
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Are you buying one GQ Smooth? If so, come see me!
Planning to, need to compare it to a 2nd hand Series 2 RX8 GT, looking for an interesting daily drive that can take on a track day every few months. Only concern with the Mazda is the weekly fuel bill.

Hers
BFII Ghia
Old 28-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #672
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Review from my mate:

Quote:
Ok, so I got an opportunity to drive one of these last night. Mat of mine works for Haltech, and one of the guys there bought one as a really really early pre-order. He's away for 4 weeks, so Haltech are using it for R&D. The one I drove was also a GT entry level, but mechanically they are the same (from what I understand).

When I first pulled up to my mate's place, the first thing I noticed is it's stance....it sits low, and slender, but not stupid low...I was concerned about the ride comfort by looking at it, however I was very pleasantly surprised.

Getting in the car, you seriously slide down into it... As BF mentioned, the rear seats are absolutely useless unless you are an amputee of both your legs... You honestly could NEVER use it as a 4 seater (although it does have 2 child restraint points in the back, so you could use it for say the first year or 2 of your child's life). Tight and comfortable. Arguably the seats offer more feeling of being 'in' the seat than the recaros of the XR5... More like the RS for the seat back, however the seat base is a little more like the XR5 for the sides of the base...but yeah, really comfy.

The one I drove had a stock ECU map, however it did have a custom fabricated exhaust. I was a little surprised at the note when I first turned it on, but after finding out that it was a custom exhaust it made more sense. This one had a really good not to it... It reminded me of driving an MX5 years ago where the motor was in the front, however it sounded like it was right behind me.

This car drives, handles, and performs so seriously well, it's not funny. I literally had free reign of the car for half an hour, and I put it through it's paces through Kellyville Ridge and Stanhope. It feels so planted on the road it's not funny. The Torque is full and plenty from way down low. Like it pulls from 2000 right through to the fuel cut at 7500. This one had been dyno'd at Haltech and was putting out 120kw at the wheels (dyno dynamics roller dyno from memory) - so the exhaust had given it an extra 11kw at the wheels over stock according the the before and after of this car. Impressive!!!

Gearbox is smooth, short and very direct. when you're pushing the car, every gearchange catches, and catches strongly...and you're right in the middle of the torque band just about anywhere... Very Very drivable. Only downfall is the clutch.....waaaaaaay soft and fluffy on slow take off. You'd get used to it, however it seems to be one of those slow release mechanisms, cause it was very difficult to find the take up point without once stalling, and nearly stalling a number of other times when driving sedately.

Grip is tremendous....you'd actually have to be really seriously giving it a whole lot of throttle and being harsh on the turning to get the back out on the normal road. Track is just about the only place I can think of that you could do it easily....however it could also be just that it was someone elses car, and someone elses neighbourhood. But it turns in tightly and directly, and power through the corner and it pulls around it like it's got a Quaife. I was very very impressed with it. It rides well with being so low, but it's not uncomfortable. You feel a majority of bumps, however not spine shattering harsh.

I can honestly say, that until I drove this car I would stand by the fact that the XR5 was the most well balanced cars off the showroom floor that I've ever driven...I now have to say that the 86 is the most well balanced cars I've driven...it's honestly a perfect match of power, handling, looks, performance and engineering.

If I was in the market, and didn't need more than 2 seats, this would 100% be my car!!!
Old 28-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #673
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A good review from AE considering how biased the British are

Quote:
Text: Mat Watson / Photos: Matt VosperJune 2012
Rating:
A good indication of how much fun a car is to drive is the length of time you talk about it after your first time behind the wheel. And in our experience, the Toyota GT 86 will have you boring your colleagues for hours.

You’ll drone on about how the steering is sharp and precise, the brakes powerful yet progressive and the chassis adjustable and nimble. Then you’ll go into great detail about the tuneful 2.0-litre boxer engine and joyous short-throw six-speed manual box.

By the time you get round to regaling the moment you felt 
like a hero by catching a surprise slide after foolishly turning off 
all the safety aids, your 
yawning workmates will 
have already turned back 
to their computer screens.

But they’ll have missed the most important point of all: it’s 
a Toyota that’s transformed you into this driving enthusiast bore. Make no mistake: the GT 86 is 
a game changer for the brand 
– a car you buy with your heart rather than your head. And it’s 
a breath of fresh air in today’s world of sanitised motoring.

Increasingly, manufacturers are producing cars that are 
astonishingly fast and incredibly capable. Yet somehow many of them leave you a little bit cold. That’s because they lack that 
key ingredient you expect from 
a sports car: fun. The GT 86, 
however, delivers this in spades. Toyota has gone back to basics by using a traditional sports car set-up with a relatively lightweight chassis and a rev-hungry engine up front driving the rear wheels.

Importantly, unlike with most other modern sports cars, these wheels are fitted with thin rather than fat tyres. This means you don’t have to be going very fast 
to reach their grip threshold, which makes the Toyota playful.

Thankfully, the car is totally predictable on the limit. Not 
only are the responses directly proportional to your inputs, they are faithfully communicated back to you via the steering wheel, brake pedal and driver’s seat. This, plus the standard limited-slip differential, makes it a great car for practising tail slides.

It’s better than its Subaru 
BRZ sister model in this respect, because the rear suspension is slightly harder, which gives the Toyota a livelier rear end.

But while the GT 86 is great 
for budding drifters, it won’t be for everyone. Its engine needs to be revved hard to extract any kind of performance, and even then it can’t match the straight-line pace of a modern turbo hot hatch like a Ford Focus ST.

The Toyota also makes some 
sacrifices in terms of practicality: the back seats are useless, and while the boot is fine for a sports car, it’s dwarfed by hatch-based coupés like Vauxhall’s Astra GTC.

Then there’s the interior. Next to an Audi TT, it feels cheap and old-fashioned. But don’t think of the GT 86 as a rival to the trendy 
TT. Instead, view it as a sharper and more focused Mazda MX-5 
or an unbreakable alternative 
to a Lotus Elise. Like these two, it’s a proper enthusiast’s car that will have you waxing lyrical about how much fun it is to drive.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...#ixzz1z3VLMzPQ
Old 28-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #674
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Most of the reviews seem to sum up the same

-Cheap and fun
-Not powerful, but still lively
-Balanced

The comments on the interior are all the same, but, really, it is a cheap Japanese car so its not going to be the best. And you don't need 4 seats in a car like this .

For those who unfortunately can't experience one, a very clear picture is being made.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 28-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #675
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Most of the reviews seem to sum up the same

-Cheap and fun
-Not powerful, but still lively
-Balanced

For those who unfortunately can't experience one, a very clear picture is being made.
Tell ya what if my XR5T wasn't so new this car would be on my list, it's 12mths too early
Old 28-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #676
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will be picking up my Galaxy Blue GTS tomorrow afternoon. Its manual. I have already ordered a set of Teins for it.
I didnt buy it for the looks. I placed my order in early December last year. Purely for the rwd platform and the philosophy that was behind the car.
Old 28-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #677
RASER
Banned

Unhappy Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Can you please take me to my local Ford dealer where I can pick up my new V8 Mustang for $37k...
First step is the Falcon has to be boned, just a matter of time, countdown is well underway
Old 28-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #678
Kevaclone

To me the Tail lights don't look too bad at all
followed an 86 through the Brisbane Riverside Expressway the other morning while it was still dark, all you see at night is two LED rings that glow brighter with the brakes, indicators are just beside them. Maybe I should have lined him up at the lights and gave him a run. I was in a 95 Astina 1.8 DOHC 16V
But alas I was not driving, my Son was with the "L"s in the windows
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Old 28-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #679
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Tell ya what if my XR5T wasn't so new this car would be on my list, it's 12mths too early
By the time they become readily available it will be 12 months down the track Perfect timing then.
Old 28-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #680
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
yeah real similar... where can i buy my Mustang in OZ for the same money?

Being 2 doors is about all they share, at least the 86 has decent rear suspension.
NOTHING wrong with the live-axle, once again fooled by brochure nonsense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD3hgleEOXA

V6 Tang blasts the Agent86 off, at the dragstrip AND around a tight race track, well done team-blue-oval.

Cheaper, better looking, human sized back seat and boot, over 100HP more AND the most important thing in any road car...bulk low down TORQUE!

Tang for me thanks [still would want it in V8 form]

Last edited by RASER; 28-06-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: 3.7V6 = 305HP
Old 28-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #681
nstg8a

but. you. cant. buy. it. here.
Old 28-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #682
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 86 fans will continue to sing how its drivers car, really fun to drive, handles better than most, and yada yada yada ... the reality is however this car is slow both in straight line and on the track ...

The fact that is gets beaten by a cheapo V6 mustang that's clearly not built to be a proper sports car (ford has the boss 302 for that) is a sign of how slow the 86 is around a track, similarly how a more sports oriented Renault 265 Cup absolutely destroyed the 86 around a similar track test done by another magazine...

And while yes the car seems relatively well priced in Australia, its only because of how massively overpriced cars are here in general ... across the rest of the world the 86 is not priced anything special at all and numerous other cars are much quicker and more practical just like the v6 mustang in this example ...
Old 28-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #683
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
The 86 fans will continue to sing how its drivers car, really fun to drive, handles better than most, and yada yada yada ... the reality is however this car is slow both in straight line and on the track ...

The fact that is gets beaten by a cheapo V6 mustang that's clearly not built to be a proper sports car (ford has the boss 302 for that) is a sign of how slow the 86 is around a track, similarly how a more sports oriented Renault 265 Cup absolutely destroyed the 86 around a similar track test done by another magazine...

And while yes the car seems relatively well priced in Australia, its only because of how massively overpriced cars are here in general ... across the rest of the world the 86 is not priced anything special at all and numerous other cars are much quicker and more practical just like the v6 mustang in this example ...
would you like some cheese with that whine....
Old 28-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #684
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Oh jesuzs...

Round and round we go
All this talk of going slow.
Same ol' same old
People just ain't sold

For this can do that
And comparos are spat
All over a toyota
That some say lacks motor

But take a look at lotus
Lacked power, but had the focus
So, the 86 GT
May not be you cup of tea.

But, the lovely japanese
Gave us something to please
Thats all that matters
Of a thread in shatters.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 28-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #685
HLC
Audi S3

Anyone had any experience with the Auto and the flappy paddles??? The missus drives a manual XR4 Fez, so kinda interested in the Auto option to have 'best'** of both worlds.

**not exactly best, but 1 of each aint a bad thing.
Old 28-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #686
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
NOTHING wrong with the live-axle, once again fooled by brochure nonsense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD3hgleEOXA

V6 Tang blasts the Agent86 off, at the dragstrip AND around a tight race track, well done team-blue-oval.

Cheaper, better looking, human sized back seat and boot, over 100HP more AND the most important thing in any road car...bulk low down TORQUE!

Tang for me thanks [still would want it in V8 form]

I cant believe you posted that clip to back your argument of the Mustangs superiority!

A few of the telling comments made in the review;

(The Subaru) "proves you dont need high HP to have fun and go fast"

(The Subaru) "is lighter, more agile, more nimble, more entertaining than the Mustang"

(The Subaru) "is an amazing car to drive"

(The Mustang) "doesn't have the race-car feel the Subaru does, you can tell your in a big car"

(The Mustang) "is a fun car to drive but not the drivers car the Subaru is"

"Raw numbers dont make a good drivers car"

Yeah but the Mustang is a bit faster. The review clearly stated which car was more fun to drive - far more important than performance numbers.

Whats not to get???
Old 29-06-2012, 12:55 AM   #687
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
By the time they become readily available it will be 12 months down the track Perfect timing then.
12 months?? Huh?? The waiting list is less than 2 months.
Old 29-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #688
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The continued idiocy in this thread just amazes me, are you people really that stupid.

If you don't like the car, **** off and stop bleating and whining like a spoilt brat.

Oh and the Mustang doesn't have a human sized back seat, it has a small human (child) sized back seat.
Old 29-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #689
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

For anyones interest, the orange GTS manual I posted earlier in the thread is now available for immediate delivery in Melbourne for just a touch over $40k drive away.
Old 29-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #690
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
Anyone had any experience with the Auto and the flappy paddles??? The missus drives a manual XR4 Fez, so kinda interested in the Auto option to have 'best'** of both worlds.

**not exactly best, but 1 of each aint a bad thing.
probably will get to drive one very soon - MIL picks hers up today. but i won't be blasting hers around like i'm on a race track

apparently it has the tiptronic shifter stick as well as the flappy paddles