Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #7111
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Last EVER Falcon Picture & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyman03 View Post
Hey,
;-)

Spyman
I hope the one we get looks better than the current Taurass. Hideous!
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #7112
spyman03
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey,

Not far off.......lol

Spyman

Last edited by spyman03; 13-08-2014 at 09:40 PM.
spyman03 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #7113
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I don't think the poor sales numbers for the Falcon can be attributed to any one major factor: I honestly think it is a case of death by a thousand paper cuts.

And all of the reasons that people have presented here in this thread and numerous times in various threads on this forum have contributed to that:
  • Ford don't want the Falcon in it's lineup anymore
  • The Falcon is an orphan under the 'One Ford' philosophy
  • Falcon has not remained competitive in features with its segment counterparts
  • Ford Australia have failed to advertise or effectively market the Falcon
  • The quality control issues have not been addressed (rust on near new cars, bushes failing, etc)
  • The Ford dealer network has not helped the situation ("they all do that", "no, that is not a warranty issue", poor product knowledge, etc)
  • The cost of operating here in Australia cannot be justified with the levels of sales
  • Large cars are no longer as popular in the marketplace as they once were
  • There is far more competition then there used to be
  • The price of fuel has meant that people can longer afford to operate large cars anymore
  • The safety of smaller cars has improved significantly compared to 20 years ago and are now a similar standard to the large car segment
  • Lack of model variety in the range (ie wagon, etc)

I'm sure I have missed quite a few very relevant issues, but again, it is not one large, single issue that has caused the death of Falcon.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 06-08-2014 at 10:14 PM.
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #7114
spyman03
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Everyone has their own theory as to why Falcon sales are declining. I think the lack of advertising contributes to some extent, but with all due respect, I think you're off in la la land if you think that a comprehensive marketing program is going to save the Falcon.

Falcon isn't the value for money equation it once was when you consider that there are cheaper, better equipped, more practical and more fuel efficient cars around.
Hey,
Go to pickles prestige auctions sunshine one night,the freedom fleets have to buy euro cars is unbearable,Melbourne water guys run around in xc70's where once they had falcon wagons,Tezza

It's more about change in buying,cost, etc etc

Spyman
spyman03 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #7115
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
I don't think the poor sales numbers for the Falcon can be attributed to any one major factor: I honestly think it is a case of death by a thousand paper cuts.

And all of the reasons that people have presented here in this thread and numerous times in various threads on this forum have contributed to that:
  • The quality control issues have not been addressed (rust on near new cars, bushes failing, etc)
  • The Ford dealer network has not helped the situation ("they all do that", "no, that is not a warranty issue", poor product knowledge, etc)
  • The cost of operating here in Australia cannot be justified with the levels of sales
  • The price of fuel has meant that people can longer afford to operate large cars anymore
  • The safety of smaller cars has improved significantly compared to 20 years ago and are now a similar standard to the large car segment

I'm sure I have missed quite a few very relevant issues, but again, it is not one large, single issue that has caused the death of Falcon.

Craig H
Craig,
I think that is a very succinct summation of why we are seeing the end of the Aussie Falcon. I also believe the order of your points reflect the reality of the process currently underway.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #7116
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Hey,

Not far off.......lol

Spyman
So it's defiantly not just a Mondeo?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #7117
Bobman
Regulator

Yet to be convinced that anything American will do well here and we've seen this in the past as a failure.

Fit and finish are poor overall, although some of the newest Chrylsers are better.

Have a look at the trucking sector of the country where once International ACCOs reigned supreme and then American rigs became popular in the 1990s, but had their own reliability issues to today where many trucking companies run European trucks (Scania, Volvo etc).

I don't believe any Falcon replacement or American import will sell well compared to better quality European makes.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #7118
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Hey,

Not far off.......lol

Spyman
Anymore you want to elaborate on ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #7119
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Does anyone know the size difference between the new Mondeo/Fusion and the Taurus? If they're selling so few Falcons what's the point of bringing in something else to replace it?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #7120
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
Yet to be convinced that anything American will do well here and we've seen this in the past as a failure.
Jeep...
Old 06-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #7121
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8territory View Post
Craig,
I think that is a very succinct summation of why we are seeing the end of the Aussie Falcon. I also believe the order of your points reflect the reality of the process currently underway.
Thanks. I've often pondered the "death of Falcon" issue and I realised it was a combination of multiple factors.

Oh, and any reflection of influence in the order listed was purely co-incidental: I just threw them up as I thought of them.

Oh, and the other issue that I forgot to add, but one I think had played a large part in this scenario, is that Falcon used to be a very versatile car: it could carry the entire family very comfortably, it could tow the boat/caravan/trailer with ease, it wasn't too big, nor too small. Back in the days where a family only ever had one car, it was a perfect compromise.

But how many families these days only have one car? I would think it would be pretty rare. In fact,most families would almost have at least one car per person living int he house! So now you can have your 4wd to do all the heavy load work, and the small/compact car to run to and from work each day without chewing through your entire pay packet. So the versatility of Falcon just doesn't quite work as well in this materialistic world that we reside in.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #7122
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

psycho,

also, dont forget since 2007 the very high AUD makes imports more attractive. In addition, since the 1980s Button plan car tariffs have been decreasing.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #7123
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know where they can shove their Taurus.......
We can't sell Australian made Fords in the USA because it will costs American jobs but they expect us to buy their cars as Australian jobs don't matter as much in the Ford universe.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #7124
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOND30 View Post
Does anyone know the size difference between the new Mondeo/Fusion and the Taurus? If they're selling so few Falcons what's the point of bringing in something else to replace it?
Because it’s a cost effective scenario, it costs to much to build them here but to build them elsewhere and import them they can then on sell them here even in small number’s.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #7125
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
We can't sell Australian made Fords in the USA because it will costs American jobs but they expect us to buy their cars as Australian jobs don't matter as much in the Ford universe.
An American company wants to support American jobs?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #7126
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exactly -
However you must understand that Ford is an American company, listed on the US stock exchange and they have placed their local issues above our local issues.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #7127
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
And rightly so. They are an American company after all. Sometimes we forget that.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #7128
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But how many families these days only have one car? I would think it would be pretty rare. In fact,most families would almost have at least one car per person living int he house! So now you can have your 4wd to do all the heavy load work, and the small/compact car to run to and from work each day without chewing through your entire pay packet. So the versatility of Falcon just doesn't quite work as well in this materialistic world that we reside in.
Pajero and Jetta here, both diesels. No territory unfortunately. My kids too tall for the rear row in the territory, limitation of having tall family :(
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #7129
furiousgibbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
not sure why people bag the FG XR wheel, it's the best wheel i've used in any of the 13 Falcons i've owned
it's pretty awful in comparison to every other car I've owned/driven. Narrow circumference, sharp front edge, coarse 'leather'. It has poor grip. The only thing I like is the lack of pointless 'flat bottom' or other stylised knobbly bits. Since I saw someone post about getting their fattened out and trimmed in proper leather I've had it on my list of things to get done.
furiousgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #7130
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

If we end up with a Taurus and it is RWD with 4 door’s and V8 equipped, depending on look’s then I will gladly buy one if I was in the market for a RWD V8 sedan, there is nothing that can be done about Falcon, it is all but a lasting memory for us now, but life goes on and what ever is put on the table I hope it is just as good if not better as our great all mighty Falcon.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #7131
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan View Post
Pajero and Jetta here, both diesels. No territory unfortunately. My kids too tall for the rear row in the territory, limitation of having tall family :(
You have a 'tall' family and buy a small/mid size sedan??
Old 06-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #7132
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto View Post
Pff, why..because you own one ?
No. Because I have owned both!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #7133
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousgibbon View Post
it's pretty awful in comparison to every other car I've owned/driven. Narrow circumference, sharp front edge, coarse 'leather'. It has poor grip. The only thing I like is the lack of pointless 'flat bottom' or other stylised knobbly bits. Since I saw someone post about getting their fattened out and trimmed in proper leather I've had it on my list of things to get done.
Fair enough mate. Everyone has different hands lol. The XR wheel does have a flat bottom though, of sorts. The leather on mine is good though, and quite grippy. Did you buy yours new? They tend to wear quickly and develop a sheen though. I don't mind it being smaller in light of the rack being very quick. My AU benefits from the larger wheel because it needs a lot of wheel movement to make it change directions.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #7134
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
No. Because I have owned both!
And fair enough too, but in all fairness you are comparing a performance model to a taxi spec model. XR6 NA and XR Turbo drive nothing alike.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 06-08-2014 at 11:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 11:03 PM   #7135
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Fair enough mate. Everyone has different hands lol. The XR wheel does have a flat bottom though, of sorts. The leather on mine is good though, and quite grippy. Did you buy yours new? They tend to wear quickly and develop a sheen though. I don't mind it being smaller in light of the rack being very quick. My AU benefits from the larger wheel because it needs a lot of wheel movement to make it change directions.
Neither of my B-series have these issues...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 11:04 PM   #7136
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
And fair enough too, but in all fairness you are comparing a performance model to a taxi sped model. XR6 NA and XR Turbo drive nothing alike.
Really ??

I find them both quite similar....
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 11:09 PM   #7137
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

• Lack of model variety in the range (ie wagon, etc)

Craig H
Great post overall, but I'm not convinced #1 is true. The main reason why Falcon is getting canned is because it isn't making any money for Ford. If it isn't profitable, then they'd be silly to continue producing it.

I doubt very much Ford will be canning the Falcon, orphan or not, if it were a money maker.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 11:11 PM   #7138
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8territory View Post
You have a 'tall' family and buy a small/mid size sedan??
Pajero is family transport... very rare more than 3 in Jetta.

Problem with rear row in territory i have found is the seats sit on the floor pretty much so that eats legroom :(

My parents have one.. so we have tried.

I honestly wish i could get a diesel falcon as my runabout... but I guess thats called a Mondeo.......
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #7139
furiousgibbon

yeah the bottom is slightly flattened but compared to my wife's GTI it wouldn't be called a flat bottomed wheel. Which is a good thing, because it's an 'I'm a race car!' gimmick.

I think the biggest problem is the leather, i bought my car new and it's only 5 months old, the leather feels like it's got talcum powder on it. I just went and compared it to the Golf, which has a much grippier, more 'leather' leather. Interestingly, the leather on the Falcon wheel feels identical to the OMP Velocita wheel I put in my E21 BMW, which was not cheap.

To be fair to the Falcon, where my hands are normally (9 and 3) it's pretty well moulded and comfortable. Oh, and it's actually centered on the steering shaft, which I can't say about the Golf. My favorite wheel is the one in my old XR5, so simple yet it just felt right on road or track.

Anyone expecting it to change in this new model will be disappointed though. I wouldn't expect any significant interior changes, material design will be pretty much it I'd say. I don't think the FG interior is a bad place to be though, it's missing some basic features but it doesn't necessarily feel old.
furiousgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #7140
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Great post overall, but I'm not convinced #1 is true. The main reason why Falcon is getting canned is because it isn't making any money for Ford. If it isn't profitable, then they'd be silly to continue producing it.

I doubt very much Ford will be canning the Falcon, orphan or not, if it were a money maker.
Point 1. follows into point 2. ( albeit coincidental)
The Falcon is a low low volume niche vehicle in a small global market - period.
Dollars and Cents is what it is about.