Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #7141
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Re: Last EVER Falcon Picture & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace View Post
Really ??

I find them both quite similar....
You don't own an FG XR6 or FG XR6 turbo. Good to know though, thanks.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 06-08-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #7142
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So, before I go to sleep and dream about my new XR8 Ute, does anybody have any new info or pics regarding the new Falcon.
( and yes I know there is no new XR8 Ute coming, hence the dream)
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-08-2014, 11:59 PM   #7143
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
And rightly so. They are an American company after all. Sometimes we forget that.
I would almost go as far as saying they are an International Company with American Roots. Yes, it's their prerogative to preserve American Jobs being that it's where they were founded but also... Look at it this way;
Ford have established Production Plants in areas where

A) They have a high volume of sales
B) It's cheaper to produce cars for various reasons
C) It's cheaper to ship to nearby markets

Look at Australia- we're a nightmare for producing & exporting Cars.

Expensive to produce and export. We have a small volume of sales compared to the other continents and we're far more Isolated. Ford are also competing with more Manufacturers then ever before in Australia which means there's less sales to go around..

It's the perfect storm for killing automotive production in Australia
Old 07-08-2014, 12:08 AM   #7144
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
And fair enough too, but in all fairness you are comparing a performance model to a taxi spec model. XR6 NA and XR Turbo drive nothing alike.
Sorry Professor but I disagree. The only thing that is different between the two is the performance. They have the same DNA, design, interior etc etc. Not sure why you brand the XR6 as a taxi spec model. You maybe insulting those with Limited Editions, XR50's etc. There is much, much more to a car than how fast it accelerates. Anyway back on topic.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #7145
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slorta...my car !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tuVW3HTiDk
Thanx
Old 07-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #7146
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I say taxi spec as a lot of taxis use xr6s now, in Melbourne at least. Since FG they have become very common as taxis. I've driven both cars a hell of a lot of times and they drive very very differently. Also I've had plenty of taxi spec cars, there is no shame in it.

If you look at my signature you may realise I'm well aware there is more to a car than its speed.

We're never going to agree on this topic so who cares really.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #7147
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Having owned both FG XR6 and FG XR6T at the same time for a number of years up until recently, here's my comment- XR6T dominates in a straight line, unbelievable torque delivery, marginally better brakes... XR6 NA is better in the bends (less weight up front, more pointy) and obviously has nicer throttle response, overall a more balanced car. Most days I would just grab whichever Falcon key was on top in the pile and that's the car I'd drive that day- I never truly preferred one over the other, they're both great drives.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #7148
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Both great cars yes, have owned two other xr6 nas from brand new. My point was an NA XR6 is not a good comparison with a VF SS, that is all.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:42 AM   #7149
cortinagt

Quote:
I say taxi spec as a lot of taxis use xr6s now, in Melbourne at least. Since FG they have become very common as taxis.
Would that make an XR6T a Turbo Taxi?
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #7150
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh View Post
Well the VF is 6 years newer... one can only hope 6 years of additional devlopment would produce a "better" vehicle.
Yep ... Kinda logical hey? It seems that some can't see it that way. Blind patriotism?
Old 07-08-2014, 01:23 AM   #7151
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Both great cars yes, have owned two other xr6 nas from brand new. My point was an NA XR6 is not a good comparison with a VF SS, that is all.
Well, I don't think you can expect the FG to compare with the VF. Something to do with age?

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 07-08-2014 at 01:31 AM. Reason: accidental
GCRXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2014, 01:24 AM   #7152
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortinagt View Post
Well ....
Old 07-08-2014, 01:27 AM   #7153
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortinagt View Post
Yes it does, though they're rare. It's not like it's a prestige car.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #7154
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
Well, I don't think you can expect the FG to compare with the VF. Something to do with age?
That was the whole conversation if you scroll back.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #7155
commandojones

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
Sorry but the VF is a much better car than the FG falcon, no question there. I do really hope the new Falcon comes close to the VF, I really do. I'm not a fan of the rear end treatment of the FH (Z) but that white one in the pic from Spyman has me thinking again about that statement. In the flesh I'm thinking it might look quite nice! I wont be buying one though, I am enjoying the change. But the missus wants a Kuga so I am entertaining that idea.
Yes the VF is a much better car... complete with its extras... its 4th manufacturing recall - I am filled with confidence. Also this is Holden's 11th recall for this year!

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...4#.U-K8gfmSxHU

Holden has spent so much time trying to put all these extras in to make it sell but they forgot how to get the fundamentals of building a car right. They cant even weld a seat bracket correctly... such a better car.
commandojones is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #7156
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

So many trinkets and useless stuff in the VF who actually cares about SYNC, talking to their car and all the bullshit. Oh wait, majority of society cares about it these days, not so simple to please people anymore. They can have fun having their car recalled over and over again (Y)

Me personally, the less technology in the cars the better. I live life on the edge without traction control because I'm a fearless bastard. :S

Last edited by xr6tjet; 07-08-2014 at 10:50 AM.
xr6tjet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #7157
anto
Za Dom spremni

VF is a facelifted VE which is hardly a "generation" ahead ! It has the same boat anchor engine and driveline. FG is a better car and yes I have driven both to compare. Auto reverse parking and the like doesnt make it a better all round car.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #7158
spyman03
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
So it's defiantly not just a Mondeo?
Hey,
Mondeo /fusion has a small glass triangle area above the base of the mirror mount on the door,this doesn't,and it's very wide at 1.990 metres rear wheel arch to rear wheel arch so poss to big for China only.

Spyman
spyman03 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #7159
boss engine
Banned

Spyman,
Do you have any pics of the new XR8?

Regards,
Boss Engine
boss engine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #7160
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Great post overall, but I'm not convinced #1 is true. The main reason why Falcon is getting canned is because it isn't making any money for Ford. If it isn't profitable, then they'd be silly to continue producing it.

I doubt very much Ford will be canning the Falcon, orphan or not, if it were a money maker.
I think you can taken that as a given, Ford not wanting Falcon in the line-up because they're losing money with it and the fact they can actually make money selling us American made cars adds further imputes to the change. It won't last till October 2016, I'd bet my left one on it going well before that.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #7161
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apart from the interior, FG beats VF hands down everywhere.
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #7162
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto View Post
VF is a facelifted VE which is hardly a "generation" ahead ! It has the same boat anchor engine and driveline. FG is a better car and yes I have driven both to compare. Auto reverse parking and the like doesnt make it a better all round car.
That comment proves you really don't know what you are talking about! Facelifted? No, that title belongs to the new Falcon which basically shares identical components throughout the car minus a change to the front and rear ends. The VF does have the same engine from the VE, but an improved gearbox and everything thing else (bar the roof & doors)is different from the VE. And you class this as a facelift?
I highly doubt you have driven a VF. If you have then you are in fairyland as there has not been 1 single professional review that would agree with you.
Good on you to have blue blood in your veins, but it is at the expense of bullcrap emanated from your keyboard.
I am hoping the new Falcon does close the gap between the two brand competitors and give some of the 1 eyed members here some creditability in their comments.

Last edited by duaned; 07-08-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #7163
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
That comment proves you really don't know what you are talking about! Facelifted? No, that title belongs to the new Falcon which basically shares identical components throughout the car minus a change to the front and rear ends. The VF does have the same engine from the VE, but an improved gearbox and everything thing else is different from the VE. And you class this as a facelift?
I highly doubt you have driven a VF. If you have then you are in fairyland as there has not been 1 single professional review that would agree with you.
Good on you to have blue blood in your veins, but it is at the expense of bullcrap emanated from your keyboard.
I am hoping the new Falcon does close the gap between the two brand competitors and give some of the 1 eyed members here some creditability in their comments.
It is a facelifted VE. Front and rear changes whilst the mid section is the same. Think VX to VY.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #7164
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That comment proves you really don't know what you are talking about! Facelifted? No, that title belongs to the new Falcon which basically shares identical components throughout the car minus a change to the front and rear ends. The VF does have the same engine from the VE, but an improved gearbox and everything thing else is different from the VE. And you class this as a facelift?
Lol what a load of crap. If you look at the side of the VF and the side of a VE they are the same just like the new Falcon. Only front and rear facelift
3 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #7165
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
Lol what a load of crap. If you look at the side of the VF and the side of a VE they are the same just like the new Falcon. Only front and rear facelift
That's ok. If it makes him feel better about jumping ship, all is good!

I wish my cars had a HUD. ;)
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #7166
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
It is a facelifted VE. Front and rear changes whilst the mid section is the same. Think VX to VY.
Sorry, only the doors and roof are the same. My apologies. (edited my post)
Old 07-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #7167
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The VF has to be the ugliest commodore of all time. Those (Malibu style) tail lights! Dat Epica headlight

I thought VE was ugly.. VF is worse

IMO the best looking commodore was VY/VZ. I saw a VY clubby 285 yesterday and drooled
Old 07-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #7168
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
It won't last till October 2016, I'd bet my left one on it going well before that.
okay, that a promise....
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #7169
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That comment proves you really don't know what you are talking about! Facelifted? No, that title belongs to the new Falcon which basically shares identical components throughout the car minus a change to the front and rear ends. The VF does have the same engine from the VE, but an improved gearbox and everything thing else (bar the roof & doors)is different from the VE. And you class this as a facelift?
I get what you're saying - face lift is a light-on term for the VE-VF update. But they are both obviously from the same generation, to suggest otherwise would mean one doesn't have a clue what they're talking about!

VE-VF was an update comparable to AUIII-BA. Face lift is more like a BA-BF level of change. I would class FG-FU? to be a bit more than just a face lift, but not by much. It's clearly not as big a change as the VF was over the VE, and the reasons why have been well documented.

As for which is the better car - any objective person can see the VF has it over the Falcon, and I would expect that to include the new model. Don't care about the technology in the VF? Buy a Falcon. Think the Falcon looks better than VF? Buy a Falcon -they are still great cars. The VF does have an inferior engine compared to Falcon but apart from that has it on every measure. And I'm not talking about the way they look as this is purely opinion.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #7170
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The whole "People do not want a large car" thing is wrong !

Why does the Hilux sell so well, Ranger ... all the other "tall Utes" ... why is Tezza a relatively good seller ?

People still buy large cars, but they expect them to perform a greater range of tasks.

Ford made a good call with the Tez, and possibly a bad call in the early engine options, Gas and Diesel should have been there from the get go.

Marketing should have separated it from the likes of Capitiva, and aligned it to a less capable, but more comfortable competitor for Prado/Pajero.

On the Falc ... Rear room in the Falc is limited - a Lancer based Outlander has better rear room.

On competition with the Commy ... well the buying public were raised on the corrupted racing game where Holden won too many races, and just when Ford should have taken it up to them they dropped the V8 - this was not an immediate sales loss, but it lost the youth that are now looking elsewhere.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post