Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #8431
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Last EVER Falcon Picture & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8UTE View Post
Personally I would have been more than happy with the 315 in the ute. It would still be a XR8 Ute which I am guessing is what the Falcon ute guys are wanting. I know it's been said that V8 utes havn't been selling but this last Falcon offering a XR8 may have seen better sales. It's still offering the Ford faithful what some are wanting too.
I know I'm wasting my time but I would give my left nut for one. Hell I'm not using it much lately so maybe I can head into Ford HQ and stick it on their counter. Take my leftie and make me a ute dammit.
Could you please give them both your nut's and get me a Ute whilst you are there.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #8432
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah - I would have gone a FGX xr8 ute (already have a fg turbo)

As for durability, i am not sure about that. My FG ute (manual) had 700nm from 70,000 km with a tune and from 140,000km it has had over 900nm (400-450rwkw). its now over 250,000km and its still going strong (and it gets worked hard and often carries a lot and tows even more).

I would say its a stronger more reliable package than the sedans IRS (did some one say broken diff bush)

I think the main issue is that its lack of compliance at high speed is something you always have to consider and I'd imagine it could catch alot of people out - but on the plus side it is very predictable (could a sedan do a power slide at 170kmh in the wet and hold it - because a ute can do it all day)

just my opinion
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #8433
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are the V8 Utes modified that are in the V8 Racing Series?
I haven't seen many breaking down from what I have seen on TV from diff issues.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #8434
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the claim the ute cant handle the grunt is just a cop out, and the real reason is the fact they only have a limited amount of engines and autos and want to sell them at the highest price possible. ie in a sedan.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #8435
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post
yeah - I would have gone a FGX xr8 ute (already have a fg turbo)

As for durability, i am not sure about that. My FG ute (manual) had 700nm from 70,000 km with a tune and from 140,000km it has had over 900nm (400-450rwkw). its now over 250,000km and its still going strong (and it gets worked hard and often carries a lot and tows even more).

I would say its a stronger more reliable package than the sedans IRS (did some one say broken diff bush)

I think the main issue is that its lack of compliance at high speed is something you always have to consider and I'd imagine it could catch alot of people out - but on the plus side it is very predictable (could a sedan do a power slide at 170kmh in the wet and hold it - because a ute can do it all day)

just my opinion
But you are just saying that because something hasn't broken.

It doesnt work that way in product development, they wil pull apart everything and measure against tolerances - if it has deviated x amount from specification, a formula will predict likely warranty costs. Your suspension could well be a fair way outside of original specs right now - I know I had to replace both of my lower wishbones due to them being bent, but it still drove ok and I had no idea.

The turbos torque ramps up a bit differently from the immediate torque of the PD Supercharger also.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #8436
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
These have no where near the torque of the 315 Miami

Old 26-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #8437
cortinagt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
This document starts to explain just how different they are to a road car

http://www.v8utes.com.au/userfiles/M...h%20%20Dec.pdf
Old 26-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #8438
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
No photos of Tezza's ???
Not yet...I started a thread with the hope that it might create some interest and we might see some pic’s or even hear some info from the people that might know something more.. but nothing as of yet.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #8439
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Your talking 5Nm difference between the old F6 ute spec and a proposed 335 FGX XR8 spec...certainly something else going on. Maybe some compliance thing for the ute over the sedan? Emissions or something?

As above...they would make more money on a sedan aswell although the ute would cost less to make so the % mightnt be thaaat different.

Regardless we dont have it, I dont personally think it has anything to do with NVH or strength as such.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #8440
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
No photos of Tezza's ???
What for? It's the same
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #8441
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
What for? It's the same
No it’s not, there are slight changes to the front.
Old 26-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #8442
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
No it’s not, there are slight changes to the front.
Nothing to see here
Old 26-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #8443
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
But you are just saying that because something hasn't broken.

It doesnt work that way in product development, they wil pull apart everything and measure against tolerances - if it has deviated x amount from specification, a formula will predict likely warranty costs. Your suspension could well be a fair way outside of original specs right now - I know I had to replace both of my lower wishbones due to them being bent, but it still drove ok and I had no idea.

The turbos torque ramps up a bit differently from the immediate torque of the PD Supercharger also.
How did the BA IRS pass the 'rigid' tolerances of Product Development? I guess driveline shunt and the diff moving all over the place was within tolerances
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #8444
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Bring back the 9'!...and the thread to its actual topic..LOL
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #8445
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
Nothing to see here
Neither is the interior of the new falcon but you and many others in the recent past have been screaming out for pic’s of that.
Old 26-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #8446
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
How did the BA IRS pass the 'rigid' tolerances of Product Development? I guess driveline shunt and the diff moving all over the place was within tolerances
Doesn't matter if they are not paing out on warranty beyond a certain cost point. That is where "they all do that" comes into it. They calculated that the cost of improving was higher than the warranty expectations. They then do running changes if the real world shows up as an issue.

Just like 335 water pumps

Old 26-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #8447
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Neither is the interior of the new falcon but you and many others in the recent past have been screaming out for pic’s of that.
Yeah that's cos we thought there might be changes
Old 26-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #8448
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Your talking 5Nm difference between the old F6 ute spec and a proposed 335 FGX XR8 spec...certainly something else going on. Maybe some compliance thing for the ute over the sedan? Emissions or something?

As above...they would make more money on a sedan aswell although the ute would cost less to make so the % mightnt be thaaat different.

Regardless we dont have it, I dont personally think it has anything to do with NVH or strength as such.
Its got nothing to do with compliance. The 335 motor has never been fitted to a UTE because it did not pass durability testing. Further more they never engineered the 315 let alone a 335 in a ute to take Brembos with the stability program.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #8449
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Its got nothing to do with compliance. The 335 motor has never been fitted to a UTE because it did not pass durability testing. Further more they never engineered the 315 let alone a 335 in a ute to take Brembos with the stability program.
Forgetting the brake thing just for a minute then, noting the F6 actually comes on just as strong earlier than a 335 then I'm still not seeing how a 335 ute is that much different in terms of something in the rear end to a 310 ute...there is next to no torque difference.

Again whatever the reason is the it doesn't really matter, but if you know the answer you may have to be a bit more forthcoming for it to sink into my thick head.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #8450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I agree with you agreeing with me......but..in the case of the ute there is something bigger going on there because they wouldnt have left it at 315 for all this time if they didnt need to.

What I dont get is how much less torque is the XR6T or the F6310 ute making that the 335 5.0 is and how does that +Nm's effect the car?

And does that mean that anyone modding a ute above 315 is actually doing something potentially dangerous? Id say no because we have plenty of evidence that utes can be pushed pretty hard.

My gut feeling is it comes down to some internal constraint put on FoA.
I'm not sure about the 315 Miami, but I'm thinking that in the real world the XR6T's, F6's and 335 kW GT's have a lot more than the claimed torque figures.
I've seen quite a bit of GPS performance data of all these cars and it seems that they have fairly similar performance (hence torque) in the 3000 to 5000 rpm rev range. From that point on the XR6T's torque (on overboost) drops away and the F6 follows a bit later.
However the GT has similar torque almost to the cutout (on it's overboost). and nearly linear acceleration to the cutout).
So lets say the GT has the same torque at 6000 rpm as the F6 has at 5250 rpm, then in that case it's hanging onto the same torque for a further 14.28% more revs and that means it's got 14.28% more power at the higher revs.

Not saying that these numbers are exactly correct, but I believe that's the sort of thing that's going on. Similar load on the driveline from 3000 rpm but for longer I suggest, and also a similar push in the back but for longer.

Whatever the true figures though, I feel pretty sure that the GT that Wheels tested near the end of 2010 at WSID certainly had more than 575 Nm of torque when it got to 100 kmh in 5.28 seconds after a second gear launch.
I understand that grip issues meant that the power wasn't on for the full run. The temperature was 25 degrees.
Likewise I'm sure that my stock XR6T had way more than the claimed torque when it got to 100 in 4.85 seconds (off a second gear launch with better grip) at WSID and I got a 12.731 sec timeslip (ref post 8172 of 22/8 about 10 pages back).
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #8451
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Hey 2242100...no doubt all of the cars you mention are probably over what ford state...and that the 335 holds the max torque a fraction longer, but I guess my theory was that max torque generated is pretty close and seems close enough to say that it's odd that with such a minor difference that it is enough to cancel out a whole model..unless it was just an easy out.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #8452
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

This is quoted from "Elks" in the GT-F thread after having a chance encounter with the engineer associated with the GT-F development -

The weak link is the rear suspension and the change to pinion angles when loaded/or lowered. On those conditions the front pinion of the diff raises up and gets the uni joints outside there normal range. Add in more hp. And it's not a good setup.
I asked if cal tracks will fix that. Yes they will, but will make the car extremely harsh. They did some experimenting with control rods used in the RTV models but time and money were against them.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #8453
sammy2013
Starter Motor

Does anyone know when we can order an FGX? I've been hanging out to decide on my specs since the damn thing was announced!
sammy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #8454
Tbm1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy2013 View Post
Does anyone know when we can order an FGX? I've been hanging out to decide on my specs since the damn thing was announced!
You can leave a deposit now, but we don't have the ability to order the cars yet, we finalised the last fg orders last week, so in the next little while fg x model codes should come on line, I would estimate 4 weeks, you should have a press release with spec and pricing fairly similar in timing to this.
Tbm1121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #8455
sammy2013
Starter Motor

Awesome!!!!! Thanks mate, absolutely cannot wait for an XR8, the trusty BF is starting to fall to bits here and there!
sammy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #8456
Tbm1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy2013 View Post
Awesome!!!!! Thanks mate, absolutely cannot wait for an XR8, the trusty BF is starting to fall to bits here and there!
I will be posting the info that ford release when they give it to us, also will give indication as to pricing(not rrp)
Tbm1121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2014, 01:10 AM   #8457
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey 2242100...no doubt all of the cars you mention are probably over what ford state...and that the 335 holds the max torque a fraction longer, but I guess my theory was that max torque generated is pretty close and seems close enough to say that it's odd that with such a minor difference that it is enough to cancel out a whole model..unless it was just an easy out.
I agree, the reason doesn't make any sense to me either.
If anything I believe both the F6 and the XR6T Utes would probably have more torque down low than both Miami engines once the Turbo's are spooled up.
If it was OK for the Turbo's I can't see why it wouldn't be OK for the 335 motor in a UTE.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #8458
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Its a issue with the rear end.
I am glad somebody admitted it. I thought that might be the case.

Why not do the Bosnjak upgrade?
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #8459
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad I'm a sedan man ;-) feel for all the ute lovers though.. A 335 Miami in a falcon ute would be off the rails!
FGX-302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #8460
NanoDuke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah it's a shame FPV was pulled early. Imagine a 335 ute in FGX guise, but with unique FPV styling. I've always preferred the HSV ute styling in the Maloos. Would've been good to see one last aggressive falcon ute go up against it.

~Duke
NanoDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post