Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #841
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

True... but I was really impressed after watching that youtube clip of the Skyline vs the original 86.

Couldn't catch up... you would assume the Skyline would have a greater power advantage?

Or am I the only one who thought that clip was somewhat staged? It did look like the driver of the 86 was really pushing the limit, while not that much for the Skyline?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coLD8JwtToI

Most would look at the 2 cars and say you were racing a genuine sports car against what looks like a 2dr Corolla...

Man... thats driving!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 16-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #842
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

The Skyline looked and sounded fairly standard, the AE86 looked pretty race prepped, and that driver was working HARD.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
Old 16-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #843
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha the end was classic i just burst out laughing, i wonder when vids of the ft86 will surface.
Old 16-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #844
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

'86 looks like heaps more fun then the R34

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 16-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #845
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Subarus didn't last long...

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...716-22613.html

Quote:
Subaru BRZ sells out in three hours

Joshua Dowling

Buyers spend $37,000 each online as Subaru pockets $5.5 million in orders

It wasn’t quite the same frenzy as queuing outside an Apple store for a new iPhone, but it was close.

The Subaru BRZ coupe – claimed to be the first new car in Australia on sale exclusively online – has sold out in just three hours, which is believed to be a new record locally.

Australian bidding for the international hit opened at midday today, but got off to a slow start as the Subaru website struggled when internet traffic quadrupled.
Old 16-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #846
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Subarus online allotment of BRZs have just sold out after being on sale for three hours.
Old 16-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #847
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd imagine some people will flog their ticket in the queue for a premium given the short supply.
Old 16-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #848
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Yeah, I wonder how many people intended to sell it once they got it.
Old 16-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #849
nstg8a

I wonder how many other car makers are watching how well these things are selling...

Even the on here a predominantly falcon based forum it's huge, look at the views and replies this thread has got....

People obviously are saying this is what the market wants, a cheap reasonably basic rwd coupe. Who said two doors don't sell? You just need the right setup.
Old 16-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #850
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
a million you say?

name 3.

three brand new rwd coupes with plenty of power for less than 35k.
They don't need to be new, because if you pull the engine out you've ruined your warranty anyway.

With that said, take your pick from a mountain of cars from Mazda, Datsun, Nissan, Holden, Ford etc etc etc.
Old 16-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #851
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
They don't need to be new, because if you pull the engine out you've ruined your warranty anyway.

With that said, take your pick from a mountain of cars from Mazda, Datsun, Nissan, Holden, Ford etc etc etc.
My pulling the motor comment was very much tongue in cheek.

Simple fact is there's nothing comparable on the market for less.

Bringing second hand cars into it is just a copout imo.
Old 16-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #852
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look back from today and see what the power output of RX7's and Supras was. Not a lot by some of the cars of today.
And the Corvette a "sportscar"...? Please...just because something can pull a high G rating going round and round on a skidpan doesn't make it a sweet handler...

As interesting and ground breaking a car this is for Toyota, unfortunately I don't think the sales will really take off amongst the hard core car enthusiast fraternity until they can change peoples mindset that the one and only thing that makes a car interesting and fun is, to quote Clarkson, "POWER!!!!!".

I've noticed a lot of it in this one thread alone. Luckily for Toyota though the majority by far of car buyers couldn't care less about power output, quarter mile times, or even 0-100 times. They want style, reasonable comfort, and if something can be marketed as truly "fun" to drive and back it up with the handling to prove it, then they're on a winner.

I think some people who have only ever driven cars that hide poor handling and sloppy suspension balance with oodles of horsepower would be pleasantly surprised to drive something with light weight, a sweet chassis, and great handling, but not a lot of power.

Loved that Youtube clip of the AE86and the R34...you could see the guy dealing with the weight of the R34 (and on the brakes a lot more often) while the less powerful but much nimbler Hatchiroku just skipped around the bends.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 16-07-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 16-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #853
atmoxr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
True... but I was really impressed after watching that youtube clip of the Skyline vs the original 86.

Couldn't catch up... you would assume the Skyline would have a greater power advantage?

Or am I the only one who thought that clip was somewhat staged? It did look like the driver of the 86 was really pushing the limit, while not that much for the Skyline?

Most would look at the 2 cars and say you were racing a genuine sports car against what looks like a 2dr Corolla...

Man... thats driving!
the guy in the AE86 is famous in japan, basicaly invented drifting, if that wasn't his 86-he's got one just like it. have a look at fastnfurious tokyo drift, he's in the movie.
Old 16-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #854
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Toyota & Subaru are being smart with this car, by limiting production it means that they can keep the sales going at a good level for longer.

With these sort of cars they tend to be very popular initially, but once the initial excitment has worn off (or all the people interested in it have got one) sales tend to fall off massively. Even if they sell the same number of cars over 3 years as they would in 1 or 2 years with expanded production, they wont have the massive costs of either shifting production to other models or shutting down plants when sales start to slow.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
Old 17-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #855
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

Man... thats driving!
dunno if i`d call it staged, but 2 different drivers 2 different cars, the guy in the 86 was driving on the edge, the other guy seemed more cautious, and it`s horses for courses, smaller nimble cars rarely loose ground on tight curves, change the scenario around , put them on a wider longer track watch the tables turn.
Old 17-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #856
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
dunno if i`d call it staged, but 2 different drivers 2 different cars, the guy in the 86 was driving on the edge, the other guy seemed more cautious, and it`s horses for courses, smaller nimble cars rarely loose ground on tight curves, change the scenario around , put them on a wider longer track watch the tables turn.
they should have switched drivers for the second run and see if any difference.
Old 17-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #857
crymoarpls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmoxr6
the guy in the AE86 is famous in japan, basicaly invented drifting, if that wasn't his 86-he's got one just like it. have a look at fastnfurious tokyo drift, he's in the movie.
tsuchiya is the driver in the 86 ad where they talk about the ultimate driver. i am a big fan of the hot version dvds that he and his mates who are often drift or jgtc drivers are in. their touge battles are amazing and tuned ae86s have done very well on there. but they still have horsepower classes because while handling is vital on the touge horsepower also plays a huge role.
Old 17-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #858
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
My pulling the motor comment was very much tongue in cheek.

Simple fact is there's nothing comparable on the market for less.

Bringing second hand cars into it is just a copout imo.
I wasn't the one who mentioned ripping the motor out, you were. Saying it was a tongue in cheek comment is just a copout, IMO.
Old 17-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #859
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Subarus online allotment of BRZs have just sold out after being on sale for three hours.
Incedible, This may very well change the way cars are sold in Australia.
Question: do they pay dealer delivery?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 17-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #860
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Found the tv ad with the 86 'drifting' very interesting... its quite laughable that it had to 'drift' on sand..... probably because the 86 doesn't have the hp to pull big lurid slides on tarmac....

Also, for the 86 with decent brakes and wheel diameter it will cost $35K... and you can buy a rwd, 2 door coupe with 270kW and 550Nm for $39K driveaway at the moment.... the SS ute.... I know which would be best, and there's only a few bucks in it...
Old 17-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #861
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007
Incedible, This may very well change the way cars are sold in Australia.
Question: do they pay dealer delivery?
The price quoted was on the road no more to pay, you simply had to select which dealer you wanted to pick it up from.
Old 17-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #862
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Also, for the 86 with decent brakes and wheel diameter it will cost $35K... and you can buy a rwd, 2 door coupe with 270kW and 550Nm for $39K driveaway at the moment.... the SS ute.... I know which would be best, and there's only a few bucks in it...
It's not a coupe, it's a ute.

I can't get my head around how you can try to compare 2 cars that are so completely different and aimed at completely people.
Old 17-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #863
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69

Ah.. such good humour.

You are joking, right?
Old 17-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #864
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not that we should be comparing a ute but where did you get 39k they are nearly 10 grand dearer, wait, dont answer..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 17-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #865
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

I dont understand this. As a daily driver this car will be shtt, its slower 0-100 than the 4 cylinder falcon! And you have to rev its tits off to crack its peak torque figure. Hopeless.

So clearly its only good for the track...
Old 17-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #866
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
It's definitely staged. It's just a fun video depicting the GTR getting it's *** handed to it by the cheeky litte AE86
Old 17-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #867
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Look back from today and see what the power output of RX7's and Supras was. Not a lot by some of the cars of today.
And the Corvette a "sportscar"...? Please...just because something can pull a high G rating going round and round on a skidpan doesn't make it a sweet handler...

As interesting and ground breaking a car this is for Toyota, unfortunately I don't think the sales will really take off amongst the hard core car enthusiast fraternity until they can change peoples mindset that the one and only thing that makes a car interesting and fun is, to quote Clarkson, "POWER!!!!!".

I've noticed a lot of it in this one thread alone. Luckily for Toyota though the majority by far of car buyers couldn't care less about power output, quarter mile times, or even 0-100 times. They want style, reasonable comfort, and if something can be marketed as truly "fun" to drive and back it up with the handling to prove it, then they're on a winner.

I think some people who have only ever driven cars that hide poor handling and sloppy suspension balance with oodles of horsepower would be pleasantly surprised to drive something with light weight, a sweet chassis, and great handling, but not a lot of power.

Loved that Youtube clip of the AE86and the R34...you could see the guy dealing with the weight of the R34 (and on the brakes a lot more often) while the less powerful but much nimbler Hatchiroku just skipped around the bends.
Yes, more power is a great way to hide a poor chassis

Yes, the GTR would be a real stuggle with all that weight. They are notoriously incapable around a track. Probably desinged for towing or something.

Seriously, some of the Ricer comments on here show a lot of experience..........on the internet

Puts the 86 in danger of becoming the next Integra style butt of everyones jokes (don neck brace and clench butt cheeks, cause Vtec is about to kick in)

just accept the 86 for what it is

This thread goes: V8 owner says it's rubbish cause it's slow, Ricer goes it's fast cause I found xyz on the internet, people laugh at how ridiculous the claim is, Ricer gets upset and says V8 owner is jealous and doesn't get it. Repeat
Old 17-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #868
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007
Not that we should be comparing a ute but where did you get 39k they are nearly 10 grand dearer, wait, dont answer..
The SS ute has been advertised on tv as $39,990, drive away for the past 2 weeks in NSW. $4K more for double the power and more than double the torque - both are rwd, both are manual, both are 2 door. Choice is pretty easy. The ute's always been described as Australia's coupe anyways...

Choice would've been alot harder had the 86 come out with the WRX motor for around $40K though....
Old 17-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #869
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd
.So clearly its only good for the track...
Not quite. In several mag tests (incl. Wheels and Motor plus EVO) the 86 has been beaten by the GTI, Megane, Scirocco and WRX around a track....
Old 17-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #870
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agree, it's not comparable, but regarding price a V8 ute can usually be had for 35-38 depending on the time of year (which is why they're so popular)

http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/det...__N=4294965857 4294964873 1216 4294739946 1246&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~0.5&sort=~Pric e
Closed Thread