Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-05-2006, 03:53 PM   #61
FTRXR8

Aami insurance are quite reasonable for younger guys and girls costing around $150.00 per month on a standard BA 6cyl with minimal mods this was a better option than any other I found in Adelaide for a 19 yo.
Tint
USA Focus ST Carbon Fibre shifter
Mountune Symposer Delete
Blue ST Badging
FTRXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #62
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

You people comparing your premiums need to realise it varies HEAVILY on your location as well. For my NA BF XR6 i was quoted around $1500, and i'm 26 with rating 1. I did the same quote for the same car yet in an area across town where my mate lives, and it came up with a shade over $800. It's to do with accidents and age yes, but a lot to do with claim/fraud/accident rates in certain parts of town as well, it's a huge factor. Consider garaging the car somewhere else if it's a possibility, and try all the on line quote systems for various companies. AAMI allow you to increase your excess to drop your premium too, which can be a good option, but a gamble. Then again, insurance is a huge gamble in general.

And yes, it is definitely illegal to drive an xr6t on your P's in Victoria, going by the current power to weight restrictions. There is a guide to the formula you can use yourself to work it out on the vicroads website. Having said that people do it all the time around my area but you can end up in hot water. I don't believe many people are mature enough to own a turbo regardless of age, they could be 17 they could be 50, it's all to do with individual mentality, and of course wisdom over years.

To answer another question, modding a NA to get more power out of it is done by a lot of people who can't afford a T, and since exhaust filter, F6 dual intake airbox and custom tune will only set you back around $2000, which is where many people stop, providing a very decent boost in NM's and RWKW, that is a far less expensive option to getting a T. Not all people believe they require a 13-14second car to drive at 60km/h through the suburbs paying $1.45 a litre every 300km.

Each, very much to their own.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 04:25 PM   #63
Marto GT
Phantom Fantastic

Default Gt Insurance

Hey guys i have just purchased a 2003 BA GT and my inurance through NRMA is currently $1237.00 by the month, so it would be a bit cheaper paying lump. This includes me at age 27 and my fiance at 24 as designated drivers, not to bad i thought considering age and car insured for 35k.
Although it was $1450 until i just transfered my 9 years over from previous car, plus i have just about every discount possible, max no claim, multi policy, and years of insurance discounts which i think saved me somewhere between 2 and 2.5 k, so obviously all the discount make for huge difference.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:38 PM   #64
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionzzz
I dont know why anyone would bother buying a NA XR6 and modding it with an exhaust etc trying to make more power. You probably would have saved yourself money buying an XR6T in the first place or even better yet bought an XT.... each to their own....
whatever mate.The whole point of this thread is about insurance and the best solution for a 20 y/o. We know the XR6T is faster than the N/A bla bla bla... but it also costs a 20 y/old a hell-of-alot more to run.

I could have bought an XR6T , but I chose not to. I could afford the insurance for it if i wanted too but I refuse to waste the extra $1k+ in premiums per year , if your willing and able to do so that fine , but I wasnt. Instead i got a fully optioned N/A. As for the XT comment , im not even going there....
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 05:28 PM   #65
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

lol here here.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #66
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
lol here here.
I hate to be the pedantic bastard fantz but you have staed this several times and no one has picked you up.

The correct spelling is "hear hear" and it means "I agree with what is being said, you sould listen to it too".

It is often heard in parlement and meetings and is basicly olde english (sort of).
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #67
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I hate to be the pedantic bastard fantz but you have staed this several times and no one has picked you up.

The correct spelling is "hear hear" and it means "I agree with what is being said, you sould listen to it too".

It is often heard in parlement and meetings and is basicly olde english (sort of).
I hate to be the pedantic bastard flappist but its Old , not Olde. :

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #68
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

and 'stated' not 'staed'

and 'parliament' not 'parlement'

point taken though, with less impact ;p
Old 10-05-2006, 05:48 PM   #69
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
I hate to be the pedantic bastard flappist but its Old , not Olde. :

James
However i think Flappist might be quoting 'ye olde' type English.. Although no quotes were surrounding it.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #70
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
and 'stated' not 'staed'

and 'parliament' not 'parlement'

point taken though, with less impact ;p
Yes it is late and I am tired with little kids buzzing around me and I did not do a spell check or read through before I posted. I am dyslexic at the best of times.

Olde is the correct usage though.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #71
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

"should" not sould... :Reverend:

Old 10-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #72
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck! When I was 20ish I tried buying an 89 Corvette, I only found one place that would maybe do it for $5000 per year!!!

I ended up getting a Mercedes and insuring it through my parents with me as a driver. Things are great this side of 25.

I might add the other frustration I had was getting car salesmen to take me seriously when I walked through the door. I ended up having to walk around with a bank balance receipt in my pocket...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 07:31 PM   #73
EL_futuraistic

I think your only option is just car insurance or i do believe there is afew other "no-name" companies around offering cheap insurance for young ppl.

With the vehicle being under finance, you will be required to have full comprehensive insurance, and if the vehicle is financed under your name, i think your also required to register and insure it under your name and provide the finance company with a copy of your certificate of insurance or at least the cover note (ref. number) or at least the vehicle must be registered and insured under the same name. The last thing you want on your $40k vehicle is for your insurance company to VOID a a claim you make on a technicality.

Best of luck with it, Unfortunately vehicles such as the WRX, SS Commodores and Hi-Po Falcons are all favorite choices for Ram Raiders, Car Theifs aswell as inexperienced drivers which usually leads to them ending up in shop windows, around poles and upside down in peoples front gardens.

On account of this, people who are genuinely car enthuisasts, and do hold rating ones, and clean traffic records are punished by having to pay higher premiums to service the claims of alll the other Dickheads. Thats Life

When bought my 98 EL Futura back in 2002, i was 20yrs old and my premium jumped from $395 3rd Party on my sigma, to $2900 with AAMI. I rang around and got it down to $1300 with RACV.... and that was a grandpa car. Insurance companies are Leeches, and when you say the word Turbo or V8 and 20yrs in the same sentence they rub their hands with glee.

If anyone would like to correct me on these statements..... the floor is yours.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 07:53 PM   #74
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds spot on to me. I bought my Merc outright and rego'd it in my Dad's name. Ready Plan then gave me a rating three full comp for $2200. The policy was with my Dad who is a rating one with me down as a regular driver. The excess was ugly, but it was a hi-po Merc and they aren't cheap to fix.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #75
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're so keen on the XR6T stop wasting your time and go visit an insurance broker. Brokers are affiliated with specific insurance companies and as such have more leverage when it comes to determining the premium and the risk you pose to the insurance company. Before proceeding with the T there are a few things you need to understand and accept:

1) you will be paying a s***load for insurance which ever way you go
2) you will have a high excess (with an increased premium if you make a claim)
3) you will be caught speeding at least once (maybe even loose your license)
4) you will be hastled by the police
5) in 3 years time you will have spent almost $10K in insurance and the car wouldn't be worth much because no one would buy a modded car from a P plater.

As long as you understand that this whole thing will cost you a packet - go for your life!
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #76
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

I just got a BA XR6T, and my insurance company CGU costs $1100/year on Rating 1 for life, I'm 23.

In saying that, I had alot of insurance companys not want to touch me, for instance RAA wont insure any V8s, or Turbos to anyone under 25 anymore... but for the car, I am happy with the price of the premium.

Also remember it has the aspect of agreed or market value too, agreed value with some companies cost more than market. In my instance, market value is more than i paid for the car by a longshot, so I will go with that!

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
MightyXR6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 08:15 PM   #77
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Turbo + Under 25 = Big dollar insurance premiums

Unlisted Under 25 Year Old Driver on Mummy & Daddy's Policy = No Insurance Protection for the Under 25

Also take into account the value of the car

Statistics insurance company's have is that an under 25 year old with a Turbo = claim

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 08:37 PM   #78
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
You know there IS a reason why insurance is so high for your age group in that car.

If you do end up with one always remember, you have a tiger by the tail and it WILL bite you if you let it........
Why's that Flappist, because a few young tools can't keep their wrx in a straight line. 4wd or not you can't corner at 15o clicks.

I bought my Ba xr8 when i was 19, i'm still here and haven't crashed it and yes i do give it a hiding. I doubled the power and and still flog it and yet i havent crashedit. You can't class all young people as driver's cause some arn't.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 08:39 PM   #79
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

think you missed a word or two there
Old 10-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #80
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
If you're so keen on the XR6T stop wasting your time and go visit an insurance broker. Brokers are affiliated with specific insurance companies and as such have more leverage when it comes to determining the premium and the risk you pose to the insurance company. Before proceeding with the T there are a few things you need to understand and accept:

1) you will be paying a s***load for insurance which ever way you go
2) you will have a high excess (with an increased premium if you make a claim)
3) you will be caught speeding at least once (maybe even loose your license)
4) you will be hastled by the police
5) in 3 years time you will have spent almost $10K in insurance and the car wouldn't be worth much because no one would buy a modded car from a P plater.

As long as you understand that this whole thing will cost you a packet - go for your life!

As I work in insurance as most of you know, I have noticed other companies are starting to put in a "high performance car excess" Which if you are unaware is in addition to any standard excess and in addition to age excess and any extra excess you chose to lower your premium.

For instance
You may have a standard excess
age excess
Chosen excess
High perfomance car excess

All of which would need to be paid toward an "excess payable claim"

I just did a quote on line with suncorp
on my details for an XR6T
I am 35 and 65% no claim bonus.
Thier minimum excess allowed for me was $700
Thier usual excess is $350.00

On a 2002 wrx the minimum excess for me $1050.00
This is just an example of what a lot of companies are now doing,
So be aware of it
Old 10-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #81
XRQTOR
Banned

I'm 21 and own a Blown Ba xr8, it's covered with all mods and it costs $28oo a year with just cars.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #82
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
I'm 21 and own a Blown Ba xr8, it's covered with all mods and it costs $28oo a year with just cars.
..and thats alot of $$ to be p**sing away in insurance every year. I know people with Porsche Turbo S's and SL55s that don't pay that much.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 10:11 PM   #83
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But each insurance policy is UNIQUE, as others have said age, location history of each individual person will give them a different estimate. You can't compare this stuff.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #84
ben_725

im 18 driving an xr8 ute it cost me 1600 a year with NRMA
ben_725 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 11:50 PM   #85
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyXR6Turbo
I just got a BA XR6T, and my insurance company CGU costs $1100/year on Rating 1 for life, I'm 23.
thats actually quite reasonable considering the car.

you guys who are paying $2k+ per year for insurance... I hope you enjoy the piece of mind. 2k+1k excess gives you 3k in the first year to fix any accident damage... 6k in the second year... 9k in the third year.

You'd want to be writing it off in the first year to get your money's worth!
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 09:05 AM   #86
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

Yeah thats right Baz, it isn't over the top. My excess is only $650 as well, so it is certainly fine. They however wont insure me if I do any mods to it though, but, August next year I am 25, so I will hunt around, probably go talk to Shannons or the like...

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
MightyXR6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 09:37 AM   #87
Hotwire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chris, talk to shannons now. Im pretty sure they will ensure under 25's if you are a member of a registered club such as falcon car club of SA. Also if you dont drive it every day you can get a limited use policy (which is what I got on the EF) and with all mods listed im only paying $500 per year with $250 excess. Admittedly an XR6T would be a bit more, but limited use (1-2 times per week) saves lots of $$ ;)
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 09:49 AM   #88
gozza

how bout buying a crapbox untill your 25
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 09:53 AM   #89
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

As everyone has already stated you really cannot compare policy pricing against eachother, so I have done a couple of on line examples through AAMI and left the quote numbers so you can see all the info is exactly the same just a different postcode.
Both quotes are done on someone born 01/09/1970 that has a rating 1 for life
and no additional drivers.
The car is a 2002 NISSAN 200SX SPEC S S15 TURBO F/IN 2D COUPE T4 CYL 2.0L 6 SP MANUAL
for private use.
1st postcode used was Bankstown Sydney 2200 QTE382402008
Premium was $5448 per year with a $500 excess

2nd postcode used was Nundah Brisbane 4012 QTE382403596
Premium was $843 per year with a $400 excess

I picked this vehicle as an extreme example.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:28 AM   #90
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Only in VIC i think... I think that because of less weight, that a P Plater can't drive ANY BA/BF falcon....

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf...edVehicles.pdf

the BA and BF falcons on that list are the V8 variants of those models, even a bf with 190 kw comes in under the 125kw per tonne limit.

Even the XR5Turbo and territory Turbo will be legal for p platers.

this is taken from Vicroads
"Probationary driver licence holders must not drive high powered vehicles except when driving the motor vehicle in the course of his or her employment and at the request of his or her employer"
Nappa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post