Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #61
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford & Holden Police cars put on dyno

Correct me if Im wrong, traditionally dynos are done in 4th gear because of the 1:1 ratio
what gear are they cop cars tested in and is the final drive the same?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #62
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Not every car has 1:1 as 4th. ZF's dont even have a 1:1 gear. 4th in them is 1.14:1 and 5th is 0.87:1 IIRC, so with a low 2.73:1 final it works out the same as a 1:1 gear with a 3.11 final.

Not sure how the Commodore gearing is, but you'd trust an experienced dyno operator to know. Most 5 speeds only have 1 overdrive, most 6 speeds have 2.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #63
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Great to see the cops get behind an event like this and put their cars on the dyno. Big thumbs up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310
Most WRX owners would destroy their clutches quicker than they can say "I'll text my cousins after I finish this kebab" if they tried getting off the line as quick as a ZF-equipped XR6t.
I doubt this very much. It's not that hard to launch a WRX quickly even without destroying a clutch. Obviously if you can't drive, then sure you can fry you clutch. I launched my old WRX millions of times and the clutch always lasted fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
My point is you can't base a car's fuel economy on the 10 seconds of wide open throttle it takes to smoke an SS. Because I do regularly give it hits, but it doesn't affect the average economy.
Is yours XR6T tuned? I agree with what you've said. Even when making lots of power, you can still get good fuel economy. Around a racetrack however, it's a different story
3 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #64
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
Makes the 5.7 seem dismal in the big picture ,when something with flashing lights makes more power,untouched
Tune and different diff gears on the turbo six,would be good to see
Pritty sad when the hottest of factory hotties is a 6 pot ford ........
My 5.7 LS1 has run more than 220rwkw on two dynos with a peak at 230rwkw. That is unopened.

What would diff gears do for the turbo on a dyno? make it go backwards more likely.

The SS cop car has obviously come in hot off the street (I didnt see it parked like the XR6T cop car) and torque management has pulled timing. Simple as that. That car should make 200+rwkw if it was parked like the XR6T half a day.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #65
RAPID_BA
Banned

Dyno operators are funny people..

On one dyno my LS1 years back made 226rwkw in Workshop A. I went to another workshop (Workshop B) for a OTR filter. Base run for 202rwkw in workshop B so it was reading 24rwkw less with base car same??

Then with OTR power went to 224rwkw in workshop B. Then I went to original garage workshop A for a powerrun with OTR and it made 232rwkw gained 8rwkw with OTR in workshop A over base run but gained 22rwkw in Workshop B that fitted it??? Workshop B appeared to be the more conservative dyno with base car but showed more gains with the OTR? Odd..
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #66
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
My 5.7 LS1 has run more than 220rwkw on two dynos with a peak at 230rwkw. That is unopened.

What would diff gears do for the turbo on a dyno? make it go backwards more likely.

The SS cop car has obviously come in hot off the street (I didnt see it parked like the XR6T cop car) and torque management has pulled timing. Simple as that. That car should make 200+rwkw if it was parked like the XR6T half a day.
The SS isn't going to do 200rwkw when the turbo does though. It's down 10kw at the engine and the Fords are well known to be underrated.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #67
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Sorry but are you saying a "cold" car makes more power than a "hot" car? Or was the dyno day held on a particularly hot day?

Weird though that driving it on the street (under normal conditions) pulls out timing. When does the timing get reset? On a restart of the car or a relearn of the conditions?
Old 10-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #68
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
after all these years and bans you still come in with the LSx troll stick..

torque management pulling timing? unless the cops had been doing flat-out runs chasing people down the highway 10 seconds before doing the dyno run then i highly doubt it.

did he miss a gear too? hit some oil? get blinded by the sun?
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #69
Jip
Starter Motor

I wonder what the torque figures were?
Jip is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #70
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Do you honestly believe anything that you type?

The XR6T would probably still make more power if it was full of heat soak.

I reckon you should sell your Fords...
Old 10-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #71
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #72
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

End of the day,we can make all the excuses in the world, or throw in all the tall stories we want
The ford turbo 6 pot on the day,put down more power than the commie V8 ...
End of story,void of any or all reasons
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #73
brett7777
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just happy to see that the turbo'd I6 Ford was faster than the Holden V8. That's all.
Nissan Skyline 370GT Coupe
Previous:
FPV BF F6 Typhoon #202
BF XR6 Rebel

Founder of BA & BF FORD FALCON FACEBOOK GROUP
brett7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #74
bungers

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett7777 View Post
Just happy to see that the turbo'd I6 Ford was faster than the Holden V8. That's all.
Faster our more powerful? I saw more power, didn't think it was a 1/4 mile race?

In saying that the turbo 6 motors are an fantastic motor. Would rather a supercharged 8 though.

Sent from a bar somewhere
bungers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #75
brett7777
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungers View Post
Faster our more powerful? I saw more power, didn't think it was a 1/4 mile race?
So which would win the 1/4 mile then?
Nissan Skyline 370GT Coupe
Previous:
FPV BF F6 Typhoon #202
BF XR6 Rebel

Founder of BA & BF FORD FALCON FACEBOOK GROUP
brett7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #76
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett7777 View Post
So which would win the 1/4 mile then?
stock for stock, auto for auto, the turbo just.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #77
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
stock for stock, auto for auto, the turbo just.
The turbo is over half second quicker than the SS.

Possibly even more!

I've seen bog stock XR6 T's dip into the 12's and I've never seen an SS better than a 13.6 at the track.

vevapower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post