Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #61
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Default Re: 2006 - 2009 VE Commodore used car review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit2359
This is where Falcons (and Commodores) have it all over imported cars: replacement parts. Quality and reliability may not be world's best, but there's peace of mind in knowing that even if something does go wrong, it won't cost a small fortune.

P.S. I've long thought Smithy was a bit of a hack and that these articles are really simplistic.
That is what made my buy a Territory when we were looking at a large soft roader after buying this property.

I looked at secondhand X5s and Touareg, I found a Touareg with everything, push button adaptable ride height, the V10 diesel, would have been a 140k car new I reckon. With 120,000km on it for 44k.... I rang my mate who runs a VW dealership interstate about them, he said don't go near it, we even avoid trading them in if we can as we don't want to warranty secondhand ones, we only do it if we are making big coin out of what they are buying otherwise we run a mile on them...

I bought instead a secondhand 2007 Territory Ghia AWD with 60,000km on it which now has 125,000km and feels fit enough for another 125,000km. Before the Ford warranty ran out I also took out through Etheridge the extra three year MyFord or whatever it is called warranty and it has been excellent. Anything that has needed attention, diff bushes etc. and a few suspension issues all taken care of without question and during routine servicing. And the services generally cost me $280 a go or thereabouts every 15,000km. Still got nearly another 12 months left on the warranty too so hopefully if anything goes bang it goes bang before this time next year :-)
Old 22-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #62
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I look simply that all new cars have problems.... Actually, all cars have problems, not just new ones...The part availability is better with Australian cars, therefore cost is down, when compared to imported stuff

I could bang on all day mentioning every single fault with the Falcadore, but that's pointless....

Some seem to be saying I should go onto the LSI forum.....Put it simply, I hate the majority of cars, because I am always fixing inherant problems, dealing with people constantly in my lughole saying the problem is something it is not. The only reason I do it is because it pays the bills....And I get on here giving advise how to fix a car cheapily, because I have learnt how to do it and I am assuming people want to know.

I own a Fairlane....I own a crappadore....I own a wogbox....I also own a Centura.....So I'm not a one eyed biased person...Unlike some others round this forum.

Finally...The VE is so crappy, why has it outsold the Falcons between 2006 and 2009????

Enough said???

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #63
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I personally think the Commodore's body is beautiful. I've had 3 FGs because they are simply a better car than the VE is, but there is no doubt in my mind that the Commodore has better proportions. Subjective I know, but the smoother glasshouse, shorter overhangs, C pillar sculpting etc is very attractive. The flared wheel arches look silly on everything except the SS - which is the only variant I'd buy so it doesn't bother me.

lucky beauty is in the eye of the beholder , well just have to agree to disagree
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #64
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I'm locking this thread for 30 mins

when i re-open it, the bickering will stop 100%, that includes stirring AND threats of violence, and the objective discussion will continue. The next warnings will be bans.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #65
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

thread re-opened

keep all comments on the level.
Old 22-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #66
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I personally think the Commodore's body is beautiful. I've had 3 FGs because they are simply a better car than the VE is, but there is no doubt in my mind that the Commodore has better proportions. Subjective I know, but the smoother glasshouse, shorter overhangs, C pillar sculpting etc is very attractive. The flared wheel arches look silly on everything except the SS - which is the only variant I'd buy so it doesn't bother me.

Couldn't agree more.

Looks are always subjective, but the overall proportions of a car are less subjective. A short front overhang and a long dash to axle ratio looks good - thats more fact than opinion. All the best looking cars have those traits, (with a few hyper-car exceptions) and the Commodore also has those two traits - they were very expensively engineered into the VE platform. But the Falcon definitely does not - too much front overhang, too little distance between the front wheel arch and front door - unavoidable since the FG was just a re-skinned BF.

Having said that, the FG is still a good looking car, really well detailed and from most angles except side-on, better looking than the Commodore IMO. Its just that I often read on here people stating how the Commodore is a horribly dated design as though its fact, when its nothing more than their own uninformed and biased opinion.

If you prefer the look of the Falcon, thats fine! Just accept that the Commodore is also a fantastic piece of Aussie design that has lasted incredibly well over 6 years, even if its not to your taste...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #67
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
I look simply that all new cars have problems.... Actually, all cars have problems, not just new ones...The part availability is better with Australian cars, therefore cost is down, when compared to imported stuff

I could bang on all day mentioning every single fault with the Falcadore, but that's pointless....

Some seem to be saying I should go onto the LSI forum.....Put it simply, I hate the majority of cars, because I am always fixing inherant problems, dealing with people constantly in my lughole saying the problem is something it is not. The only reason I do it is because it pays the bills....And I get on here giving advise how to fix a car cheapily, because I have learnt how to do it and I am assuming people want to know.

I own a Fairlane....I own a crappadore....I own a wogbox....I also own a Centura.....So I'm not a one eyed biased person...Unlike some others round this forum.

Finally...The VE is so crappy, why has it outsold the Falcons between 2006 and 2009????

Enough said???
Badge
But i know what you're saying.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #68
Till_Lind
E-series fan

I'd definitely go an FG over a VE because of VE's ugly wheel arches and rear lights. Seats are probably better in the VE though. Can't wait for the day that Ford finally gets rid of those horrible looking rear seat design where the headrests are not adjustable, inherited from the AU.

That and the first time I sat in an FG XR I wondered why in the hell does the seat feel like a giant sponge, need a firming up big time.

Conclusion = E series baby, e series.
Old 22-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #69
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Problem with the VE is they only look good as an SS or Calais V. Omegas and Berlinas just look ridiculous with those oversized wheelarches and tiny wheels along with the high ride height. They only suit the models with lower suspension and big wheels, and better again with the matching bodykit.

HSV's would look good too if it wasn't for all the crap vents and everything they stick on to them. So ridiculously overstyled. They look like something a 13 year old would draw.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #70
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till_Lind
I'd definitely go an FG over a VE because of VE's ugly wheel arches and rear lights. Seats are probably better in the VE though. Can't wait for the day that Ford finally gets rid of those horrible looking rear seat design where the headrests are not adjustable, inherited from the AU.

That and the first time I sat in an FG XR I wondered why in the hell does the seat feel like a giant sponge, need a firming up big time.

Conclusion = E series baby, e series.
Ohhh yeh E series....
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #71
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Problem with the VE is they only look good as an SS or Calais V. Omegas and Berlinas just look ridiculous with those oversized wheelarches and tiny wheels along with the high ride height. They only suit the models with lower suspension and big wheels, and better again with the matching bodykit.

HSV's would look good too if it wasn't for all the crap vents and everything they stick on to them. So ridiculously overstyled. They look like something a 13 year old would draw.

Oh yeah the HSV's are practically comical they're that overdone. And I agree the big front wheel arches dont suit the basic models.

Talking overall proportions though, the VE is pretty damn good.
Old 22-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #72
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

the idea is that its supposed to be waaaay overdone. i love it. its screams a big **** you to traditional conservative styling.

that and the 6.2 litre is a rather good donk all in all. sounds the part too.

Ice

Last edited by Auslandau; 22-10-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: SWEAR FILTERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #73
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceValk85

the idea is that its supposed to be waaaay overdone. i love it. its screams a big **** you to traditional styling.

Ice
its screams a big **** you to good taste.

Last edited by Auslandau; 22-10-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 22-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #74
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its not quite finished yet, there's at least a few spare centimetres to fit more vents.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #75
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Its not quite finished yet, there's at least a few spare centimetres to fit more vents.
No ..... I think you are wrong. Only a few mm.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #76
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Enough said???
Not because they are better cars, that's for sure. It comes down to what fleets are buying, Holden's larger range, superior advertising, the fact that Ford don't have a V8 (a huge chunk of Commodore sales are V8s, many people simply don't want a turbo 6). I believe Ford sold more 6 cylinder sedans than Holden last year. There is no Falcon wagon, Sportwagons account for 30% of all Commodore sales last I checked.

Not as simple as whether a car is "crappy" or not.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #77
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Agreed 100%
I actually like the look of a VE SS. And even moreso in ute form.
Old 22-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #78
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

That HSV remind's me of something..hmm.

Last edited by galaxy xr8; 13-09-2014 at 09:17 PM.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #79
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

i love a calais v 6L in grey or black

but the above comment was funny.
Old 22-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #80
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The VE looks like a mash of E46 BMW, Mitsu 380 and BA falcon.

So yes, in some areas, its dated...due to a typically conservative front end, the basics of it look like a BA...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #81
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
its screams a big **** you to good taste.
thats the point!

some people (ill admit, me included) love to dial it up to 11... or in the e3's case... break the volume knob straight off lol.

picture this. FG XT -> XR6 -> XR8 -> GS -> GT Rspec. its a linear progression from tame to 10 on the volume.

now this. Omega -> SV6/SS -> clubsport -> GTS again its just a progression towards loud and obnoxious... only holden isn't afraid to go butt ugly and offensive to the cardigans in the process.

Ice
Old 22-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #82
Angeldust

if i were buying a E3 HSV i would simply get the front bar resprayed.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #83
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust
if i were buying a E3 HSV i would simply get the front bar resprayed.
im reasonably sure you can have factory option of painted inserts to body colour.

kinda like the raccoon eyes on GTs can be body colour if im not mistaken.

Ice
Old 22-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #84
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Exactly....They had problems with the VT ones.....Fixed after that.
My old man's mate had a VYII SS that had an engine replacement.
Old 23-10-2012, 01:51 AM   #85
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:

actually i agree with you on these to models...but ill raise you the front and rear side profiles look very outdated and much less atractive then the FG lines.
Ill agree once again...all subjective with looks tho.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #86
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
That HSV remind's me of something..hmm.
A VE Calais is a good looking machine. However that picture is better looking than the HSV.
Old 23-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #87
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:

I understand what you're saying, but in an effort to reduce build costs they make the guards the way they do....Might encourage the "modifiers" market, where people want big wheels...lower stance and not the associate headaches associated with guard rubbing....

So to me that's a smart ploy..

IMA, I'm not a big fan of the skinny wheel in big wheel arch/nose bleed height associated with the car either.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #88
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust
wow they made the ls1 out be something its not. Lots and lots of ls1 that run sweet as pie out there, yet they mention they are oil burning rattlers.
BS article.
Modern motor reported one Sydney parts supplier handing over 180 sets of rings and or pistons per month in claims so lets get real here any idea what this adds up too Nationally.Our local engine builder had to purchase a 100 000 dollar machine just be able to hone these things.A mechanic from local dealer told me they had 11 engines sitting on the floor at one time.With the eventual fault pinned done to over 2000 engines leaving states without Teflon coating on the pistons this equates to 2.5 to 4th extra piston to wall clearance.Calling a spade I say.

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #89
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Centura.....So I'm not a one eyed biased person...Unlike some others round this forum.

Enough said???
A centura.Mate ran a 13.4 in his centura in 1982.Fastest car in Rocky for years.One in local paper for sale 6.5k.Always wanted one.

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #90
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Recently I was minding a friends SS-V ute. Its a 2008 with over 70k. He does not really baby the car nor pamper it like the way I would. It does get serviced regularly at 15k from a regular Holden dealer and in between 7.5k oil changes.

I found the car to be very tight, interior was in nice shape. Seats showed wear (but what car doesn't show wear, by BA seats that get regular conditioning shows small wear from the first 18k by the previous owner).

Engine pulled strong, gearbox was perfect, slight drive train clunk but acceptable. VE's seem fine to me.