Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #61
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 
Default Re: Summernats 25 Photos here! (reloaded, more pics, different image server)

I am not sure how they pick a winner.

Grand Champion:

HQ Coupe
GTS Front
308 stroke to 327
Stock Diff
Stock Tranny
Leather interior
Stock Brakes
USA billet wheels

Everything sanded and sanded and sanded and colour sanded. All in all still a pretty stock setup, just perfected.
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #62
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Summernats 25 Photos here! (reloaded, more pics, different image server)

If it actually runs then its better than the show cars with no engine internals
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #63
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
If it actually runs then its better than the show cars with no engine internals
Running is actually important. Because you're not eligible for Grand Champion unless you complete both the Super Cruise AND grass driving events.

However, I thought there were better cars in the Top60, so not sure why the HQ won.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #64
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh I was unaware of the requirements for the award
Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #65
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Also Voting / peoples choice is important so its important to have a good display and stand next to your car greeting people and telling them the story behind the car to get the votes up. Have photos / DVD / Screen of the cars build etc.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #66
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
Running is actually important. Because you're not eligible for Grand Champion unless you complete both the Super Cruise AND grass driving events.

However, I thought there were better cars in the Top60, so not sure why the HQ won.
Unless it's changed the last few years, points in those events factor highly towards your final score - you may not have the best paint or best internals but if you kill it in the motokana events, it proves that you didn't build a show pony. That's the basis of the Grand Champion. Top 1% car that you can actually drive.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #67
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a bit of a push nowadays towards winning cars having to actuall be able to be driven...back in the "pro-street" days of the 1990's, cars were winning shows that could maybe run for a few minutes on tiny fuel cells, with blowers as high as the roof, mechanical injection setups that required a squirt from a started bottle in the hat to get it running, and laughably still wearing licence plates and being called "street legal"...and the punters knew it was all BS. One memorable one on the cover of Street Machine at the time was a little LJ Torana with virtually a door slammer supercharged big block in it, full chassis, tubs, radical rear end and huge rear tyres and puny front runners, and it was proudly called "Australias fastest street legal car!!!"...sure...try and drive it to the shops then and see if you get two meters past the end of your driveway before being defected...

I do remember also that there was a bit of a push for two classes of car...ones that are wild but just really works of art, and another class that was still wild but was actually street legal(ish) and useable, where the judges would overlook small blemishes...say the odd stone chip on a suspension arm or under a guard...little imperfections which meant the thing was really used on the road, and which the owner shouldn't really be punished too badly for. Never heard if idea that got off the ground...

My son used to subscribe to one of the magazines dealing with stuff like Skylines and so-on...Auto Salon I think...and they had a "Performance Car Of The Year" award annually. The cars not only had to be good looking, but they had to pass a roadworthy test, noise test, braking test (from cold as if you'd just driven off in the morning, which upset a few guys with full on race brake setups which did bugger all until they were really hot), and be able to drive in city traffic without overheating...in other words, an owner had to be not only creative with the design, they had to be very clever with the mods.
I recall one winning car was an R32 Skyline putting out nearly 750hp, yet the noise test showed that the cleverly designed exhaust system was actually quieter than the decibel standard that the Transport Department requires! It passed all the tests, including out-braking cars fitted with very schmick racing brake setups, some of which when even slightly cool stopped in way more distance than a stock car of the same kind!

Hopefully people still push for "useable" and "realistic" cars to win...I think everyone has just about had enough of trailer queens that don't even run...yes, they're interesting and spectacular and make you go Ooooo, but it's more interesting to see a guy who's poured money into a stand-out car that can actually still be used and displayed on a cruise...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #68
bluovl

I have never heard of a show car without engine internals. Is that fair dinkum?
10 years back when I used to enter I'm pretty sure the car had to be driven into the judging pavillion. That would sort out a car without engine internals.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #69
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This made me so ill... it's one thing to throw money doing up a late model monaro, but putting a Gibson SG, signed by Angus in the boot???!!!!!

What I wouldn't do for that guitar! And to see it in that boot...

trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #70
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Atleast there is an amp to plug it into and give it a shred
Old 10-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #71
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
There's a bit of a push nowadays towards winning cars having to actuall be able to be driven...back in the "pro-street" days of the 1990's, cars were winning shows that could maybe run for a few minutes on tiny fuel cells, with blowers as high as the roof, mechanical injection setups that required a squirt from a started bottle in the hat to get it running, and laughably still wearing licence plates and being called "street legal"...and the punters knew it was all BS. One memorable one on the cover of Street Machine at the time was a little LJ Torana with virtually a door slammer supercharged big block in it, full chassis, tubs, radical rear end and huge rear tyres and puny front runners, and it was proudly called "Australias fastest street legal car!!!"...sure...try and drive it to the shops then and see if you get two meters past the end of your driveway before being defected...
Tuff Street is sorta more like the street one now. there was 3 classes, was alot of cars entered as well.

Tuff Street - pretty much elite style cars, blowers hanging out the bonnet etc

Comp Tuff - more drag type car, with cages, roll bars etc

Street Tuff - ''street'' cars.

the brothers Capri came 2nd in Street Tuff, and it is driven, engineered, registered, etc. we did heaps of laps at the 'Nats and we drove it from the hotel to the Nats. the guy that came first had a nice orange ute, can't remember the plate HP454 i think, everything under bonnet, NA made around 560rwhp.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #72
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
Tuff Street is sorta more like the street one now. there was 3 classes, was alot of cars entered as well.

the brothers Capri came 2nd in Street Tuff, and it is driven, engineered, registered, etc. we did heaps of laps at the 'Nats and we drove it from the hotel to the Nats. the guy that came first had a nice orange ute, can't remember the plate HP454 i think, everything under bonnet, NA made around 560rwhp.
Well done! That Capri is sweet!

No engine internals? As I said, I've been to a few shows over the years where the cops attend right from the start and make thier presence very visible from the get-go. People would trailer the top cars straight to the display area, or push them there...some never started, so people were often left wondering.
An example of the heavy hand was at a show in Maryborough way back in the early 90's, when a well-known blown black Monaro owned by a guy called Horsten (? I think) which used to feature in the VHT engine paint adverts showed up. Everyone knew the car so gathered around to check it out. There were some cops there, and they too came over for a look. It all seemed cool until he hopped in on the trailer and was about to start it...then the cops changed in an instant and said firmly "You start that thing up and drive it off the trailer, and we'll plaster your windscreen with defect stickers so fast your head will spin". He had to push it off and under the Woolies underground carpark and into position, then later he did start it up, but didn't drive it anywhere, even thought it had NSW plates on it.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #73
muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
This made me so ill... it's one thing to throw money doing up a late model monaro, but putting a Gibson SG, signed by Angus in the boot???!!!!!

What I wouldn't do for that guitar! And to see it in that boot...

I was thinking the same thing. That guitar would be stuffed after one day of sitting in the boot in the sun.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #74
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

An example of the heavy hand was at a show in Maryborough way back in the early 90's, when a well-known blown black Monaro owned by a guy called Horsten (? I think) which used to feature in the VHT engine paint adverts showed up. Everyone knew the car so gathered around to check it out. There were some cops there, and they too came over for a look. It all seemed cool until he hopped in on the trailer and was about to start it...then the cops changed in an instant and said firmly "You start that thing up and drive it off the trailer, and we'll plaster your windscreen with defect stickers so fast your head will spin". He had to push it off and under the Woolies underground carpark and into position, then later he did start it up, but didn't drive it anywhere, even thought it had NSW plates on it.
What a bunch of w%%$kers. There is a time and a place and he was there, why the hell not let him turn the thing off and entertain the crowd!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #75
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet
I was thinking the same thing. That guitar would be stuffed after one day of sitting in the boot in the sun.
And the dust from the field. And all the drunk tossers touching it.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #76
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

cheers for the pics

a whole lot of awesome there all we need is more strippers but than it would be a different site i guess

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #77
prasac
Banned

surprised noone mentioned the big sting on the way down to Summernats. anything with polished big tyres, loud etc was pulled over, gone over and fined if possible.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #78
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA_GT351
Whats with the purple hq in front of my car with the rust bubble? my mate told me this car won top street? i know my paints not absolutely perfect but if thats case the judges have no idea..
It's sponsored by Meguiars they wouldn't have a clue about decent paint!

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #79
XA_GT351
Supreme Machine!

Quote:

I was absolutely spewing watching that ute make 560rwhp mine was due to go on sunday morning but I fried the clutch on Saturday night, my 408 gets 575hp at the treads!

1960 FB Holden Wagon, Yellow, 192, 4spd,

My XA Build-Up
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&page=10&pp=25
XA_GT351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #80
prasac
Banned

Quote:
I was absolutely spewing watching that ute make 560rwhp mine was due to go on sunday morning but I fried the clutch on Saturday night, my 408 gets 575hp at the treads!
shame, we were going to throw the Capri up, but i couldn't be bothered doing the fuel trims, we had the thing on E72 Caltex n the tune was for E85, runs a bit fat. i think you get bonus points if u enter.

did u have yours in Tuff Street? the car in the profil pic looks familiar.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #81
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
surprised noone mentioned the big sting on the way down to Summernats. anything with polished big tyres, loud etc was pulled over, gone over and fined if possible.
Was this just after the end of the M7 again? I didn't see it this year but have been pulled through there before.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #82
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The usual hidden copper hiding in the centre island bushes radar gun in hand sitting pretty in his Turbo falcon on the freeway inline with Goulburn.

Same on the way back.. - being sensible though. -as normal on the freeway.

Visited the summernats on just the Sunday.. nice red XA GT to the forum member here..
Oh and "XBCOOL" -Nice "burnout" on the Burnout pad..

So thankfull the rain cleared for the 1pm start to the burnout pad..

the 20+ cars doing ther similtanous burnout!.. absolute petrol head heaven!!!!

Realy missed the usual experience the last 4 years of driving down from Sydney midday friday, setting up camp at the carotel, detailing the car at the shell carwash and spending both fri and sat nights 10pm-1 am cruising Braddon..
Cant wait for next year now! 1 more year to get my car even better for her debut.. my 6th year attending the nats..
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #83
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
Was this just after the end of the M7 again? I didn't see it this year but have been pulled through there before.
around Picton, they looked to be setting up as we were going past. didn't see one other cop on the road, we left Thursday just before lunch.

was busy this year, we stay at the Carotel, this is the first year for a couple years i can remember it being packed out. we have been staying in the same room for 15+ years, as much criticism as Summernats it still draws the people in. have a few mates working there from what they were saying its more the locals that create the problem and not the car fans.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #84
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MOAR PICCHERS! Anyone got any links to galleries they'd like to share?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #85
XA_GT351
Supreme Machine!

Quote:
shame, we were going to throw the Capri up, but i couldn't be bothered doing the fuel trims, we had the thing on E72 Caltex n the tune was for E85, runs a bit fat. i think you get bonus points if u enter.

did u have yours in Tuff Street? the car in the profil pic looks familiar.
I was in street, I thought tough st was mainly for the blown tubbed cars, the XA made somewhere in the top 80, I will try to do more driving events next year

1960 FB Holden Wagon, Yellow, 192, 4spd,

My XA Build-Up
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&page=10&pp=25
XA_GT351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #86
prasac
Banned

Quote:
I was in street, I thought tough st was mainly for the blown tubbed cars, the XA made somewhere in the top 80, I will try to do more driving events next year
the majority of cars in Tuff Street do have big blowers hanging out of them etc, but u still get quite a few street cars. we just go for the parking spot
Old 11-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #87
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

Quote:

Whats with the purple hq in front of my car with the rust bubble?
my mate told me this car won top street? i know my paints not
absolutely perfect but if thats case the judges have no idea..

great photos, not enough girls...

Silver XP ute^^^ x2 , any interior shots at all RATMAN ? !

Is there any more pics of the Fairlane with the TT5.0?

Isn't summernats about the cars AND chicks?
So where's the pics of the latter?

I have a sudden urge to drop a blower into mine

LOL at the jokers who buy a brand new FPV and enter summernats..

They're actually eligible, unlike the guys that show up in a beaten up old VN or EA that manage to get in somehow.

I have never heard of a show car without engine internals. Is that fair dinkum?

However, I thought there were better cars in the Top60, so not sure why
the HQ won.

have a few mates working there from what they were saying its more the locals that create the problem and not the car fans.

Thanks for the compliments on the pix – to answer a few of your questions :

The rust bubble made the car look very average imo, okay it happens but
when you own a ‘showcar’ – why wouldn’t you address it sooner rather
than letting it get to that stage, it was probably 70mm long.
Aside from that, the car had other issues from a design point of view
(who puts a wing on a hq-hz model and thinks it looks good?)
But each to their own.

The girls were a little thin on the ground this year.

I didn’t take any shots of the ute’s interior but it was as neat at the rest
of it, look out for it in an upcoming SM magazine as it was the second car
shot over the weekend.

No more pics of the fairlane but as someone has already noted, it’s the
ex-Astill car. It did look impressive in its new configuration.

Summernats is about a lot of things but yes, cars and girls top the list
– I’m sure more pix will be posted by others as I didn’t catch many,
although the girl on the stripper pole was doing her best to get
everyone’s attention without losing her clothes.

The blower urge – don’t let us hold you back LOL, I actually thought it
was your car until I saw the plates, very tuff machine and he racked up
some kms that weekend so it looks well sorted.

There was a newish octane coloured FG GT cruising around that I didn’t
get pics of – had a double barrel scoop poking through the all black bonnet,
looked very cool – just not sure it was legit or just some fakery stuck on.

There were a few ‘average’ cars entered, I suppose the entry $$$ they
provide help the event stay on and with 1200+ paid up entries this year,
there’ll always be a few ‘works in progress’

Grand Champ always divides opinion but its true, its not just elite show
(only) cars that win – they need to be driven. A lot of the owners don’t
like dust settling on their cars let alone ripping it up on the tar or grass
events so more points are awarded to those who do. The winner this year
was a very neat machine with excellent attention to detail and knowing the
car has undergone a major transformation over the last couple of years and
he drives it regularly only adds to the credentials. But for my money on the
aesthetic mod and mech package side, there were better cars on show.

Having access to the photo studios prior to and during the show means I get
to see the best of the best and I’m yet to come across 1 that has no engine
internals – yes you do get them unfinished but I can’t see anyone going to
the expense and time to build something like these that won’t run when complete.

Haha, the locals causing trouble - we wouldn't do that - it tends
to be the idiots who don't actually go into the show, muppets who can't
handle their drink and morons who have a grander opinion of their driving skills
and cars than reality would actually suggest. They come from everywhere but
statistically speaking, Police media reports note that the troublemakers arrested are from interstate.
Canberra's too small for a local to start trouble 1 weekend
and not expect to get noticed on another.

All in all it was a very good Nats – the best in many years and hopefully only
improves for the years to come.

1 last shot for all the people asking about the ladies, here is something my
brother managed to snap on his phone. Nice body line, interesting paint
and I couldn’t see any rust bubbles anywhere – enjoy.

Last edited by ratman; 11-01-2012 at 12:24 PM.
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #88
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"The winner this year
was a very neat machine with excellent attention to detail and knowing the
car has undergone a major transformation over the last couple of years and
he drives it regularly only adds to the credentials. But for my money on the
aesthetic mod and mech package side, there were better cars on show."

I know the owner and the car it has been perfected and its all metal no bog. Not to mention its his first car from when he was 16 years old and it was a former summernats winner and has been in street machine a few times over the years.

3 years running it has come 3rd 2nd and this year 1st. Massive congrats to Ben. Only time the car is driven is on off the trailer and at Summernats.

Still its got to be a hard job picking a winner from the top 60 cars so many top cars. Not sure how the point system works apart from bonus points for driving events and peoples choice.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #89
bluovl

I hope this works. This is a photo I took of the interior of the XP ute for whoever was looking for one. It was very neat.

69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #90
nickd
Passionate Ford XD XE nut

Great pics guys.

(Admin of ESPGhia.com)

http://espghia.com/forum.php
nickd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post