Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #61
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
Clearly V8 supercar drivers are highly trained and should not be compared to the average driver trying to have a conversation on a mobile, while eating Hungry Jacks and attempting to drive.

Im glad you can see some of what i am saying is making sense, but i really fail to see why my age and experience are of no value, hence making my opinion less important than yours just because you are an old fart ( :P JOKING) and you have driven for much longer than me.

I suppose you are saying you have had so much practice being distracted by lighting your cigarettes and ensuring you dont drop one accidently, that you are now at the point where you can do it 'safely' whilst driving. But so be it, (no offence meant MO, nor is this a personal attack) i have learnt through this and other experiences there is no reasoning with smokers when it comes to their cigarettes. The question then is, MO do you think it is safe to let people eat, apply make-up and do other incidental activities whilst they are driving?

(Maybe this should be a new thread....)
Just to clarify my standpoint..I'm in front of the majority here..in as much as I have done the ACT police driver course..I have done the NT police driver course...I have done track time at club level.

Now to the points..if your a smoker and it helps your drive do it..as for hydration if you need to have a drink(non alcoholic) do it...as for applying make up talking sms' ing on mobile..your dead you do not apply make up or use a mobile whilst driving.

Bill_r you obivousley have a lot to learn...just to clarify..I have and will still do 180/220 kph and smoke now you tell me where I can and have done this.?

Jen and Bill_r I have spent the majority of my life involved with high powered and highly modified cars.

Please read my posts in "what the hell can be done"thread..then maybe,hopefully you will realise I'm fair dinkum..As an aside I am capable of teaching you more in a weekend than most can teach you in a week.

Jen on alot of things you talk sense however my comment re your age and experience are valid.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #62
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Why is my age and experience valid for my standpoint on what people should be allowed to do whilst driving. You agree that sms-ing and applying make-up is stupid, yet you make an exception for;
getting a cigarette, finding the lighter, lighting the cigarette (I assume you would look at the flame to check it gets the cig and not your face) putting the lighter down, holding the cigarette (therefore not having both your hands on the wheel as i would assume you would have been taught, but a hand and, at most, a few fingers), continuously taking your hand off the wheel to take another drag, flicking ash (hand still off the wheel), then (hopefully) stubbing it out in an environmentally friendly way.

You do this every 15-20mins you drive, i guess (i wouldnt know, im not a smoker) it takes about 5 mins to have a smoke. So does that mean for 1/4 of the time you are driving you are doing something else other than driving?
I may be young and inexperienced but i understand that despite you thinking it is second nature, it still takes a part of your brain to control that action, hence your subconscious reactions to things going on around you is impaired compared to someone whose only current activity is driving.

I believe it is quite condescending to label my opinion somewhat inferior merely due to my age and experience. If i never had that in my profile how old i am, would you treat my opinion differently. Clearly not all smokers are as old and experienced as you. Many are my age and they are undertaking another activity whilst driving. What about them? If you were personally expempt from the restrictions what would your standpoint be?

I can put lippy and mascara on without looking at a mirror, i can do it one handed. But i dont do it whilst driving, because i know its stupid. Lippy wont drop onto the seat and start burning it. It will just make one hell of a mess! Lippy is safer than a cigarette, but i still dont use my years of experience with lipstick application as an excuse to do it whilst driving.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 10:22 PM   #63
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO

Bill_r you obivousley have a lot to learn...just to clarify..I have and will still do 180/220 kph and smoke now you tell me where I can and have done this.?
well , I'd say your attitude is very poor and it is certainly you who have a lot to learn. The main error that you make is that you assume certain profiles to people. This justification about having track time and beign invloved with high powered cars is garbage simply because you don't know what similar (or greater) experience or invlovement others on these forums might have. I'm sure that if you asked any professional race driver the same question that is being asked here you woudl get the same reply that we have given - you shouldn't smoke while driving. Now I won't boast but I certainly have the experience to knwo that first hand.
What you *are* displaying is typical denial and foolishness.
There is no justification in smoking while driving. i'ts a dangerous adn foolhardy practise. there are certainly other dangerous behaviours. No "but .. but .. but...". It's plain and obvious to most intelligent people.

I smoke but I really feel sorry for you in that you need to justify it the way you do and have one every 15 mins or so while putting both youself and other drivers at risk. I *have* smoked whiel driving - many years ago. I'll stop now. Better for my health at *least* (and I'd make excuses to not give up).
And if you would claim to do 180 to 220 km/h on the road while even thinking of smoking you are even more of a fool!
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #64
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_R
well , I'd say your attitude is very poor and it is certainly you who have a lot to learn. The main error that you make is that you assume certain profiles to people. This justification about having track time and beign invloved with high powered cars is garbage simply because you don't know what similar (or greater) experience or invlovement others on these forums might have. I'm sure that if you asked any professional race driver the same question that is being asked here you woudl get the same reply that we have given - you shouldn't smoke while driving. Now I won't boast but I certainly have the experience to knwo that first hand.
What you *are* displaying is typical denial and foolishness.
There is no justification in smoking while driving. i'ts a dangerous adn foolhardy practise. there are certainly other dangerous behaviours. No "but .. but .. but...". It's plain and obvious to most intelligent people.

I smoke but I really feel sorry for you in that you need to justify it the way you do and have one every 15 mins or so while putting both youself and other drivers at risk. I *have* smoked whiel driving - many years ago. I'll stop now. Better for my health at *least* (and I'd make excuses to not give up).
And if you would claim to do 180 to 220 km/h on the road while even thinking of smoking you are even more of a fool!

I shall now take you back to the early days of the Bathurst Race...they not only smoked but also ate their lunch whilst racing.

Now you take a back seat and learn the world is not what YOU think it is.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 20-11-2006, 10:39 PM   #65
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why is my age and experience valid for my standpoint on what people should be allowed to do whilst driving. You agree that sms-ing and applying make-up is stupid, yet you make an exception for;
getting a cigarette, finding the lighter, lighting the cigarette (I assume you would look at the flame to check it gets the cig and not your face) putting the lighter down, holding the cigarette (therefore not having both your hands on the wheel as i would assume you would have been taught, but a hand and, at most, a few fingers), continuously taking your hand off the wheel to take another drag, flicking ash (hand still off the wheel), then (hopefully) stubbing it out in an environmentally friendly way.

You do this every 15-20mins you drive, i guess (i wouldnt know, im not a smoker) it takes about 5 mins to have a smoke. So does that mean for 1/4 of the time you are driving you are doing something else other than driving?
I may be young and inexperienced but i understand that despite you thinking it is second nature, it still takes a part of your brain to control that action, hence your subconscious reactions to things going on around you is impaired compared to someone whose only current activity is driving.

I believe it is quite condescending to label my opinion somewhat inferior merely due to my age and experience. If i never had that in my profile how old i am, would you treat my opinion differently. Clearly not all smokers are as old and experienced as you. Many are my age and they are undertaking another activity whilst driving. What about them? If you were personally expempt from the restrictions what would your standpoint be?

I can put lippy and mascara on without looking at a mirror, i can do it one handed. But i dont do it whilst driving, because i know its stupid. Lippy wont drop onto the seat and start burning it. It will just make one hell of a mess! Lippy is safer than a cigarette, but i still dont use my years of experience with lipstick application as an excuse to do it whilst driving.
Jen I shall get back to you tomorrow right now I'm very tired after moving heaps of top soil to level block and am sun stroked sort of.

I want to give you a full and considered reply due to your honest and open opinion.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 20-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #66
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Jen I shall get back to you tomorrow right now I'm very tired after moving heaps of top soil to level block and am sun stroked sort of.

I want to give you a full and considered reply due to your honest and open opinion.

I know how you feel, i moved house on the weekend, just finished uni exams and i too will be thankful to get to bed...

I look forward to your reply. Thank you for your level of respect, it is valued.

Good night MO!

Jen

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 21-11-2006, 11:24 AM   #67
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Not being funny etc but don't forget some freeways don't have a pull over lane ...so in order for me to have my smoke I pull up in the left lane of a two lane each way freeway...whats going to happen?
Then they cease to be 'freeways' in the engineering sense.

In any case, it is international law (UN Convention) that thee shall not stop on a motorway except under emergency circumstances, this applies automatically whether or not "no stopping" signs are posted. We are a contracting party.

I'll be seeking an increase in the existing NSW penalty for same.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #68
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

what an interesting thread, i cant remember what the topic was, but now its smoking in cars,
i agree with MO on alot of his points. when someone mentioned all the stuff you need to do to light that smoke, they dont realise all of that can be done in 10 seconds without taking your eyes completly off thee road.
people are definatly picking their arguments here, because you take one hand off the wheel you WILL crash? come on, you have never put one arm on the window? fiddled with a CD? stretched? i hardly ever drive with 2 hands on the steering wheel just because its uncomfortable, and when im comfortable i can concentrate.
another point wastaking your eyes off the road, what about when you are watching traffic or your speed? (i am in vic, we have to be pedantic about speed)
i cant stand it when people say to me, you drive while drinking coke or smoke you WILL die,

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #69
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A driver in charge of a vehicle travelling on public roads should give UNDIVIDED attention to driving.

:evilsasmo

Evening Jen,this ones for you,I chose this short quote because it sums up what you are posting.

Now to extrapolate:

1. if I drop a lit cig in my lap I suffer the small amount of pain/burnt seat till I can stop.
2. how will our ambo's,cops and taxi drivers go if they have to use the two way..remember a lot of them are on their own and have to make and recieve calls.
3.to take it a bit further..your arguement would mean that changing gears in a manual is a distraction..to turn on your headlights is a distraction..to alter your radio/stereo is a distraction.

4. in all my activities when driving I use periphal vision my main vision is NEVER off the road.

5. last one if you talk to your passengers its a distraction.

Jen hope this answers where I'm coming from..yes it takes a lot of years to get the experience Ive got it also takes a lot of ks...just to finish I pedalled 20+ton fire trucks for a living for over 30 years.

Hope you find this satisfactory if not ask and I shall go deeper.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6

Last edited by MO; 21-11-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 21-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #70
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

I've said what i think. There is no point answering exaggerated comments by repeating points from my earlier posts.

It has been an interesting off topic discussion, but i will let this now get back to what it was about, changes to QLD licencing.

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 21-11-2006, 09:49 PM   #71
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've said what i think. There is no point answering exaggerated comments by repeating points from my earlier posts.

It has been an interesting off topic discussion, but i will let this now get back to what it was about, changes to QLD licencing.
And here I was thinking you were someone with a modicum of intelligence...write off.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 21-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #72
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
And here I was thinking you were someone with a modicum of intelligence...write off.
All i am doing is saving you from reading the same point of view expressed another 5 different ways.

You know that no amount of explanation would change your mind about your cigarettes.

And here I was thinking you were somewhat polite....

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!