Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #61
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
Hah.. would actually be interesting to see if FPV folded.

Why? Cos if FPV folded some other company would get in to do performance vehicles for Ford and oh my they might get something right.
I think that's a little harsh. I hope they really succeed next year with whatever they're doing with Orion.

I don't think they've done so badly in the last 4 years. I guess they've been hamstrung with their cost structure (building engines where volume today is probably MUCH lower than the original business plan numbers 4 years ago - XR8's not selling much at all).

I think it would be best for them if they could just bring-in an engine in a crate (ala HSV) and slip it into the GT instead of assembling it here.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #62
FPV329
Workin' for the BOSS

barraxr8 said "I guess they've been hamstrung with their cost structure (building engines where volume today is probably MUCH lower than the original business plan numbers 4 years ago - XR8's not selling much at all)."

Thats a shame too because they are a damn great car.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #63
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
I think it would be best for them if they could just bring-in an engine in a crate (ala HSV) and slip it into the GT instead of assembling it here.
Why they insist on building a version here is beyond me, surely Ford Global should just have a catologue of 20 engines worldwide for the locals to choose from. If they are modular they would be pretty cheap to make, and even share with Jaguar, Aston Martin, Mazda and the like.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #64
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Why do Ford need a seperate performance outfit in each market? SVT in the US, TeamRS in the uk and FPV in Aus. If they had everything under the one brand they would cut overhead incredibly (Only paying for management once not three times).

Still keep the FPV name, I don't see a Falcon ST or Falcon RS being popular names, but have everything done by a central global company.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #65
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
Why they insist on building a version here is beyond me, surely Ford Global should just have a catologue of 20 engines worldwide for the locals to choose from. If they are modular they would be pretty cheap to make, and even share with Jaguar, Aston Martin, Mazda and the like.
The problem is Ford dont have a crate motor like the Boss. The closest thing is the 5.4sc which wasnt around when they designed GT. The other motors are too small for the weight of GT/XR8.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 05:42 AM   #66
boris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Do a Google mate I don't thing they'd be interested !
Yeah originally was supposed to be a joke, but I took your advice and now think maybe you should follow that same advice! There's a lot of history with ford, and they are just hired guns, kind of like Tickford!
boris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #67
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.
Wink

The ironic thing about all these sackings I feel will be the following when an Orion based GT is released:-
If it's a success, the "new" team will get the credit, even though the old team were responsible.
If it's a mediocre failure, the old team will get the blame even though those higher up at Ford were to blame as they had some beans to count and an axe to grind.

I honestly feel we will end up with a car that has made some real progress from the BA-BF GT as far as dynamics are concerned and will have around 320-330kw. (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink)
Old 07-03-2007, 09:58 AM   #68
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry 351
I honestly feel we will end up with a car that has made some real progress from the BA-BF GT as far as dynamics are concerned and will have around 320-330kw. (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink)
Its getting 310kw the xr8 is getting 290kw.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 10:10 AM   #69
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Oh SpoolMan, don't pour diesel on my lawn....

That means currently a GT is 11.5% more powerful than an XR8, but with Orion it will only be 6.9% more powerful!!! Mmmm.. that will work out to about $1000 a kilowatt in sale price I would imagine...

Oh man, they have lost the plot.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #70
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Interesting.

Just a quick one. What has Prodrive actually brought to FPV. From where I sit I see nothing other than some pommy accents.

The I6T development was nothing to ground breaking, I meaning turbo charging has been around for a while.

I remember when Prodrive came on board they talked about their years of motorsport experience being poured into Falcons....where exactly?

Personally I hope Ford buys out Prodrive, and keeps the FPV name. To drop FPV all together now would be suicide.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #71
Jab
Shockwave BAMKII XR6T

Question

Anybody have any idea on what Prodrive's investment in FPV is actually worth ?
Would we be talking $2 million or $20 million or $200 million ?

Be interesting to know what 51% of FPV is valued at as distinct from there actual investment as well eh !

Jim.
Jab is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 01:06 PM   #72
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Interesting.

Just a quick one. What has Prodrive actually brought to FPV. From where I sit I see nothing other than some pommy accents.

The I6T development was nothing to ground breaking, I meaning turbo charging has been around for a while.

I remember when Prodrive came on board they talked about their years of motorsport experience being poured into Falcons....where exactly?

Personally I hope Ford buys out Prodrive, and keeps the FPV name. To drop FPV all together now would be suicide.
It was Tickford that brought in the T6 and most of the stuff found on the current FPVs. The Buyout wasnt until late 2001. I expect to see what prodrive can really do when Orion comes out.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #73
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Interesting.

In the current financial environment Ford won't be buying anyone out unfortunately.

Ford also don't see FPV as core business and would prefer someone else takes the lead with performance vehicles.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #74
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

The less Ford are involved with FPV the better.

This should be a good move for FPV and future product development and this is the real reason behind what has happened imo..
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 01:44 PM   #75
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM

This should be a good move for FPV and future product development and this is the real reason behind what has happened imo..
That doesn't make any sense as they said that by getting rid of the FPV staff then the Ford staff will have to take over their jobs, and also talk of Ford having more control over day to day operations. There seems to be about 4 different opinions about why the staff were sacked, everyone who has come out and spoken about it has given a different reason. Do any of them if even know why it was done or is it a cover up.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #76
GT-E

If we got all the members on FFau to kick in $1,000 each we could buy out Prodrive and make a car for the fans. Can anyone say GTHO ? :
Old 10-03-2007, 08:13 PM   #77
Falchoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Why do Ford need a seperate performance outfit in each market? SVT in the US, TeamRS in the uk and FPV in Aus. If they had everything under the one brand they would cut overhead incredibly (Only paying for management once not three times).

Still keep the FPV name, I don't see a Falcon ST or Falcon RS being popular names, but have everything done by a central global company.
Problem is what works in say Pommyland doesn't necessarily work here. What I'm trying to say overseas is a different market with different wants and need to Australia. Traditionally Australia has had a love affair with large RWD sedans powered by a V8. This may not be the case in say England or Europe - they may prefer smaller more hi-tech cars like a Focus (XR5T).

So I see a purely Australian performance arm is still needed.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 03:40 AM   #78
paul351xb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falchoon
Problem is what works in say Pommyland doesn't necessarily work here. What I'm trying to say overseas is a different market with different wants and need to Australia. Traditionally Australia has had a love affair with large RWD sedans powered by a V8. This may not be the case in say England or Europe - they may prefer smaller more hi-tech cars like a Focus (XR5T).

So I see a purely Australian performance arm is still needed.

Have to agree there. Ford Australia for many years built and designed cars that were meant for the Aussie environment, not snow covered mountains in the Alps or rolling freeways in the USA. Ford learnt some very painful lessons here with import stuff failing badly on our roads.

What's happened at FPV is a very real worry. For whatever reasons the staff were dismissed it just seems very wrong the way the whole sorry business has been carried out. Either these people did something very wrong or whoever sacked them ( commitee or individual ) is an all out ******.

I hope I'm wrong but unless someone out there has enough gonads to make this right, and quickly, there is going to be a ripple effect across sales. Could Prodrrive had done HSV a bigger favour if they tried?
paul351xb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #79
ford1
Starter Motor

i heard that 3 fpv execs including sak ryoppen got driven home in HSVs the day they got kicked out
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #80
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford1
i heard that 3 fpv execs including sak ryoppen got driven home in HSVs the day they got kicked out
Statesmans actually.

It appears FPV are struggling to replace some of those sacked, as anyone suitable in the industry have seen the way FPV treat their staff...

I also believe the new FPV boss (whose name excapes me) is putting many noses out of joint by turning up to work in his brand new 6 series BMW.

I don't care what he has in the garage at home, but at least drive the product to work...
Old 24-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #81
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Statesmans actually.

It appears FPV are struggling to replace some of those sacked, as anyone suitable in the industry have seen the way FPV treat their staff...

I also believe the new FPV boss (whose name excapes me) is putting many noses out of joint by turning up to work in his brand new 6 series BMW.

I don't care what he has in the garage at home, but at least drive the product to work...
I heard Taxi's.....
Old 24-03-2007, 02:08 PM   #82
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford1
..........so they did go him in Taxi's
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #83
Sledgehammer
Banned

Quote:

Yes that true, Bryan Mears does drive a Beema.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #84
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM

I disgaree. You need to keep in mind that a GT starts life in exactly the same way as a XT on the production line. You can only do so much to polish a t**d - if the fundamentals (chassis design, vehicle layout etc) are wrong then FPV won't be able to deliver a properly designed & built product that meets their customers expectations.

FPV & Ford need to work together constructively as early as possible in the design process to ensure the basic architecture fulfils each companies requirements.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #85
robertjp

Carrol Shelby said "You cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but you can make it a pretty fast pig!". FPV should remember what the P stands for and focus on that!
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post