Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-08-2006, 10:33 PM   #61
HSE2

Yeah and you managed to attract the appropriate reply too.

Let’s hope Motor dyno both cars when they test them back to back. Actually I might email them. Wheels gave the impression they don't believe the 307 claim either
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 23-08-2006, 10:43 PM   #62
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Yeah and you managed to attract the appropriate reply too.

Let’s hope Motor dyno both cars when they test them back to back. Actually I might email them. Wheels gave the impression they don't believe the 307 claim either
Yeah i am definately popular over there for all the wrong reasons it seems. Ah well, can't be on the good side of everybody.
Old 23-08-2006, 11:03 PM   #63
Wezza
Starter Motor

How funny with people "I'm doubting the effectivness of MRC" etc etc, how about you wait until the system is actually tested. Then cast doubts if you want.
Old 23-08-2006, 11:21 PM   #64
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza
How funny with people "I'm doubting the effectivness of MRC" etc etc, how about you wait until the system is actually tested. Then cast doubts if you want.
Don't know who that is directed at, but i know i used the word effectiveness in my post about MRC, but i was not doubting it providing they have got it right.
Old 23-08-2006, 11:23 PM   #65
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even if HSVs are faster, I don't think it's all that important, and I would say the same thing about a Falcon.

Speed kills.

The fact that the new HSV is "faster" means that we'll see many young drivers dead in 20 years.

Last edited by uranium_death; 23-08-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 23-08-2006, 11:29 PM   #66
FPV

Quote:
Yeh i do doubt it, especially when there are quite a few suspension systems out there and not all of them are made equal. Its nice to throw technology at a car but it has to be integrated well to provide a good package. HSV dont have the best track record with putting on the market an all round performance car, but from HSE2's comment from the wheels magazine, so far so good. The comparisons will be a real test of how well they have done it. If HSV have pulled it off well done to them, FPV can go sit in the corner and work on a new stripes package. You are right though, i will wait for more reviews before final judgement
Old 23-08-2006, 11:37 PM   #67
HSE2

Quote:
Ah thing is MRC has been tested, it’s been about since 2002 and has a history that did in fact include rejection by some manufacturers. Expressing an opinion is just that. I have had a far bit of exposure to these systems so I do know a bit about what to look for and what might be on the table. I have no problem in suggesting the Senator to be my pick based on what has been said in the press. What separates MRC is its speed over more conventional electronic dampers. HSV will have, actually I know they have their own calibration but the track setting is my concern with the GTS. If it is really a hardcore setting then it will be useless in everyday driving and as such perhaps might not be as attractive to potential owners. It may not offer the attraction of the second setting but retain its real time adaptability.

I believe it has been set around the DTS setting and my understanding is this wasn't a real success for HSV.

If they don’t like that then there is the senator to fall back on. Problem is it has a different look and it doesn't provide a manual. Why do I know this? Because this type of development is something I am interested in and would buy and to be honest it ****es me off HSV has it.

I have had a look at the HSV line up worked out what I need to watch for and will indeed wait for some sort of assessment but I feel confident enough to express my opinion and concern and indeed praise as I see it.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 24-08-2006, 08:25 AM   #68
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Default 4.9s to 100 my ***

My mate next door has a 297kw VZ auto Clubby and HSV said they did 13.3 quarter. He has since fitted 2800rpm stall 3.7 diff gears Pacemakers and twin 3inch exhaust, cold air intake and LS2 edit and with slicks only ran 13.01 quarter. There is no way it would run 13.3. My quess is that if it does run 4.9s to 100 that it will be a HSV tweaked press car, now does this open another can of worms. Remember when motor dynoed all those cars and the LS2 run 227rwkw and i know GTS 300's run 230rwkw so with 1830kg and say 235rwkw it wont run 12's or 4.9s to 100
Old 24-08-2006, 09:42 AM   #69
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Even if HSVs are faster, I don't think it's all that important, and I would say the same thing about a Falcon.

Speed kills.

The fact that the new HSV is "faster" means that we'll see many young drivers dead in 20 years.
Are you serious??? I still can’t believe that some people can be this insensitive and still write this stuff, especially with the other recent threads on this topic in this section.

I also want to see FPV perform better, and now they have a new bench mark for the 8's to compete to. The Phoon is more than capable at this time, and we all know there is plenty left. Has anyone seen Bruce Heinrichs XR6-T?

With the success of the XR6-T does this mean that there will be more "young drivers dead in 20 years" as well??? I for one hope not.

These HSV's and FPV's will more than likely end up safe in collectors and enthusiast’s hands rather than young individuals that can not really afford the insurance and fuel etc.

After all how many XY GT’s or Brock Commodores do you see on the road “killing young people” today? Yet there are still plenty out there safely tucked away in their beds

All cars can excessively speed, it does not take the fastest one on the block to wreak this type of destruction. I think this it the biggest fundamental flaw in our road rules today!

Your comments smack of the spoilt boy that got out on the first ball, and now wants to take his bat and ball back home to sulk.

Lighten up! End of rant.

Last edited by Bud Bud; 24-08-2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 24-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #70
Wezza
Starter Motor

Quote:
Ah thing is MRC has been tested, it’s been about since 2002 and has a history that did in fact include rejection by some manufacturers. Expressing an opinion is just that. I have had a far bit of exposure to these systems so I do know a bit about what to look for and what might be on the table. I have no problem in suggesting the Senator to be my pick based on what has been said in the press. What separates MRC is its speed over more conventional electronic dampers. HSV will have, actually I know they have their own calibration but the track setting is my concern with the GTS. If it is really a hardcore setting then it will be useless in everyday driving and as such perhaps might not be as attractive to potential owners. It may not offer the attraction of the second setting but retain its real time adaptability.

I believe it has been set around the DTS setting and my understanding is this wasn't a real success for HSV.

If they don’t like that then there is the senator to fall back on. Problem is it has a different look and it doesn't provide a manual. Why do I know this? Because this type of development is something I am interested in and would buy and to be honest it ****es me off HSV has it.

I have had a look at the HSV line up worked out what I need to watch for and will indeed wait for some sort of assessment but I feel confident enough to express my opinion and concern and indeed praise as I see it.
We will see hey? I just don't think anyone shouuld be making assumptions seeing as though this exact system in the HSV hasn't really been tested by the public yet.

BTW, from the tests i'd read on the DTS Clubsport, I was under the impression it was a very good setup with the only real let down was the old chassis?
Old 24-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #71
HSE2

Quote:
We will see hey? I just don't think anyone shouuld be making assumptions seeing as though this exact system in the HSV hasn't really been tested by the public yet.

BTW, from the tests i'd read on the DTS Clubsport, I was under the impression it was a very good setup with the only real let down was the old chassis?

Well that’s your right as it is your opinion which leaves the rest of us that know or want to know, free to discuss it.

You’re BTW point shows me you don't completely understand what is being said

The question isn't how good the DTS set up was but how many people opted for it. In other words how many people saw worth in having a car that was tuned accordingly? How many HSV sales actually took up track packs and then does that number warrant its inclusion in a volume car! My comments on the GTS in particular question if there is the attraction in having a hardcore track setting as the option in what would be a volume model for HSV. The value will have to be in the Performance tune being compromised. Me and people like me are pointing out that HSVs claim about competition using MRC is correct but they aren't telling the full story in as much there are more then one adaptive suspension system on the market. Who has the best well that’s another question and would be more in line with your assertion that reviews should take place but we aren’t talking about that.

The points being talked about are worth of such systems and are they a gimmick. M division and AMG have fully active suspension which is above the semi system offer by HSV. A clever E card marketing strategy it might be but not particular accurate. One does not need to use MRC to offer a product that competes. The overwhelming response to these systems is that they are a gimmick. I am giving people areas to look for to either prove or disprove that opinion but each person will have to make up their own mind.

I am fully on the side of supporting these systems and their benefits and praising HSV for their work but not blindly. My comments should allow people to "look" for certain aspects during reviews and drive impressions to gain a better appreciation of what is on offer.

My concern.

I don't need to see the review to realise that HSV would only have one performance setting shared between two cars. That will be a fact. That’s fine if they were sharing the same rubber but they aren't. So which car did they use? The 19 inch wheel shod car or the 20 inch? If the default setting in the GTS is sufficient for normal driving they won't have an issue but as I have said, I suspect the best reaction for every day use will be in the senator set up. I think more people should appreciate it. It’s probably why the Senator isn't more expensive and probably the reason why originally the Senator was more aggressive in design.

I think more people will appreciate the Senator but won't like the transmission option or might not like the appearance. I think there might be a reason why Wheels was given the Senator and then told "we can’t wait to get you into the GTS around a track"
Old 24-08-2006, 10:55 AM   #72
ELLIOT

Does Anyone remeber when the VY SS first came out. It has a 235kw Gen III. Holden used to give them a bit of a turned up SS.The car was getting 0-100 in 5.6Sec and 13.7 on 0-400M. It was quicker than the VY HSV 260kw. How did that work.
Old 24-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #73
Fordoldie

Quote:
My concern.

I don't need to see the review to realise that HSV would only have one performance setting shared between two cars. That will be a fact. "
GTS and Senator have different suspension settings
Old 24-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #74
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordoldie
Again another one who doesn't understand.

Both cars have a "performance tune"

The senator has a luxury default but the switchs to "Performance"

The GTS has the default at "Performance" and switches to "track".

The Performance tune for both WILL BE THE SAME. I will put money on it.
Old 24-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #75
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think Ian is refering to the MRC performance setting. Not ride height, spring stiffness or geometry etc. Meaning, he believes there will be only one performance calibration of MRC adopted on 2 cars, creating a compromise along the line because of the differences in the setup of the cars.
Old 24-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #76
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Sorry Ian - we obviously were on reply at the same time.
Old 24-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #77
Fordoldie

Quote:

I understand completely, but thanks for the info. However I dont understand why you are going to so much trouble to explain it as the system is only fitted to an "elite" few cars in the world therefore why would it have "gimmick" status?
Cheers
Old 24-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #78
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
I think Ian is refering to the MRC performance setting. Not ride height, spring stiffness or geometry etc. Meaning, he believes there will be only one performance calibration of MRC adopted on 2 cars, creating a compromise along the line because of the differences in the setup of the cars.

Yes and yes.

Yes I was only talking about MRC. I thought that was clear. Sorry if not.

There will be 3 MRC calibrations.

GTS and Senator will share Performance which is why I question the wheel package and any other change that is in the base "dumb" settings.

If you buy the Senator you have the ability to switch up into GTS mode minus 20 inch rims and what have you. I think that might appeal in that you are buying two distinctive settings that will be let’s say more obtainable and there for appreciated.

The GTS has a minium value of Performance and goes to a very specific track option.
Old 24-08-2006, 11:41 AM   #79
HSE2

Quote:
I understand completely, but thanks for the info. However I dont understand why you are going to so much trouble to explain it as the system is only fitted to an "elite" few cars in the world therefore why would it have "gimmick" status?
Cheers

I think you have me confused. It’s not a gimmick to me and I am trying to explain why it shouldn't be regraded as such.

Why other people would think it to be a gimmick well I guess we need to ask them.

I think new exposure to something always leads to scepticism. That’s the best answer I can give. People by nature seem to want to punch holes through new technology rather then embrace it.

It’s entirely possible some sections of the media will give it **** factor on spec. I think they might be in for a shock again especially with the Senator.

I will try to make this simpler. To get the best out of the new HSV line up you should be thinking one of the two MRC cars. The best I can say about the GTS is that on the senator over very rough dirt road corrugations it rides better then the last senator on a luxury spring set up. Switch back to default mode for said car and you have magic ride.

The question for me as a potential customer is how much value does track mode give the package, when I can switch my Senator into a GTS. Do I really need a race car?

That’s the significance of what HSV have on offer as I see it and really the only question I have over it.
Old 24-08-2006, 01:52 PM   #80
Fordoldie

Quote:
I think you have me confused. It’s not a gimmick to me and I am trying to explain why it shouldn't be regraded as such.

Why other people would think it to be a gimmick well I guess we need to ask them.

I think new exposure to something always leads to scepticism. That’s the best answer I can give. People by nature seem to want to punch holes through new technology rather then embrace it.

It’s entirely possible some sections of the media will give it **** factor on spec. I think they might be in for a shock again especially with the Senator.

I will try to make this simpler. To get the best out of the new HSV line up you should be thinking one of the two MRC cars. The best I can say about the GTS is that on the senator over very rough dirt road corrugations it rides better then the last senator on a luxury spring set up. Switch back to default mode for said car and you have magic ride.

The question for me as a potential customer is how much value does track mode give the package, when I can switch my Senator into a GTS. Do I really need a race car?

That’s the significance of what HSV have on offer as I see it and really the only question I have over it.
Got it thanks! At least I understand what you are saying and yes I agree with you. I thought they both have the MRC but only the GTS has "track mode" and normal? mode where the Senator has performance or luxury modes

Good explanation though, cheers
Old 24-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #81
freaky

Quote:
Got it thanks! At least I understand what you are saying and yes I agree with you. I thought they both have the MRC but only the GTS has "track mode" and normal? mode where the Senator has performance or luxury modes

Good explanation though, cheers

MRC Mode____Luxury______Performance______Track
-----------------------------------------------------
Senator______Yes________YES_____________ No
GTS_________No_________YES_____________Yes

________________________^
Performance setting same for both cars

Default mode for Senator = luxury
Default mode for GTS = Performance
Old 24-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #82
Cokeford
Starter Motor

looks uniquely strange, power is still roughly the same.. only thing thats eye catching is the new 6speed and its supposely alot faster...

still take a FPV over the HSV anyday.
Old 24-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #83
HSE2

I should have got freaky on retainer. What’s that four lines!! That’s embarrassing.

Yes the normal in the GTS is the Performance in the Senator but with different wheels and so on. Then I guess you can't discount the R8 as the improved chassis and the right set up might make all this superfluous but I am tending to think not. "IF" they nail this, any claim Tickford or FPV had over suspension superiority will be a distant memory and yes
Wezza that is verdict we will have to wait on as it could go either way. I know where my money is though. If only the senator had a manual option.
Old 24-08-2006, 07:21 PM   #84
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK XR6-VCT
From article: http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/h...012460300.html

Mellor's GoAuto also had figures of 4.96 for the manual Clubsport R8...

This seems to put FPV's GT a good 1 second behind the new VE clubsport.
Even the F6 is more than half a second off the pace...

All this and HSV still has the 7.0L Corvette engine up their sleeve
in case of emergencies!!!

Will FPV be able to come close to matching, let alone beating these times?
Has FPV got something up their sleeve for BF MkII or will we have to wait
until the all new Falcon in 2008??? By this time the HSV 7.0 will probably
be running 4.5 seconds 0-100km/h AAARRGGGHH !!!!

That will be useful accelarating between speed cameras, or trying to get the last carpark space at Woolies. :alien2:
Old 24-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #85
Phoon Hoon

HSV and Holden are full of it. I will wait 6 months until they're independently tested. Why 6 months? Because Holden are always releasing better-tuned performance cars to the media for initial testing. The mags pull great times out of the SSs and Clubbies, and then these times are NEVER seen again. Then the every-day production line models come out that are slower. Happens every time.

You can add half a sec to each claimed time, easy. Mark my words.

Holden are full of shyte.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #86
MONAROcv8
Banned

Default haha that is funny.

yes its true fellas.
the GTS is faster than your FPV thingys.
guess what?
a standard SS VE commodore is faster than a FPV GT. hahahaah.
290kw my hole.
watched the V8's lately?
those VE's are looking mighty quick in the first couple rounds of the championship.
and holden still have a bit to learn about it.

catchyas later.
stop sulking about the GTS its fast and your not.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #87
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONAROcv8
yes its true fellas.
guess what?
290kw my hole.
watched the V8's lately?
those VE's are looking mighty quick in the first couple rounds of the championship.

catchyas later.

Stiff!! :

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 02-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #88
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
yes its true fellas.
guess what?
290kw my hole.
watched the V8's lately?

catchyas later.

Hahahahahahaha Troll.

I give you about an hour before someone cans you.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 02-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #89
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

Quote:
yes its true fellas.
guess what?
290kw my hole.
watched the V8's lately?

catchyas later.

And your probably one of those muppets that think the V8's are based on the road cars too.

Have you checked out the lastest magazines, it seems that your precisous VE is not so quick when the dont get the "Special" tune from their maker! I love how the idiots in Holdens jump on the bandwagon after years of being smashed by the Ford product in the magazines.

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #90
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
yes its true fellas.
guess what?
290kw my hole.
watched the V8's lately?

catchyas later.

Nice first post. Try being a little more productive with your first post on this forum, or your stay won't be long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
Closed Thread