Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #61
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
In the useless NRMA best family cars thing yeah.
Yeah thats what i meant. And like I said out of the 3 hasnt only 1 (being th territory) out sold its competitors? Im not 100% sure thats all.

And would you look at that. Out of all those awards listed in the previous post 3 commodores to 1 falcon. You can safely say more Aussie means SFA to the majority.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:36 PM   #62
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i rekon a funny thing bout this is yeah there body designs, the vt vx shape is opel, the vn vp had the us caprice look, the finniest thing is saw was a docco on the cold war, fighting in serbia or sumwhere like that and a bunch of millitants were driving in a vb commo, but opel which is virtually identical to the commo
Old 11-08-2005, 09:56 PM   #63
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
And would you look at that. Out of all those awards listed in the previous post 3 commodores to 1 falcon. You can safely say more Aussie means SFA to the majority.
The majority of car sales are fleet sales anyway, private buyers account for about 20% of the big 4's sales. Usually fleet discounts and bonuses mean a whole lot more.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:58 PM   #64
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint_ED
fighting in serbia or sumwhere like that and a bunch of millitants were driving in a vb commo
Sure they weren't just soccer fans on the way to a match in Melbourne?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:02 PM   #65
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

loll good point, another funni sight is the arab drinfting vids going round on the net, and theres vt cop cars goin after em
Old 11-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #66
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Sure they weren't just soccer fans on the way to a match in Melbourne?
Lmfao. Good one.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:33 AM   #67
rick69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS 540

Toranas, Gemini's, Camiras, Sunbirds?, hardly a claim to fame!.
Look at it this way... The Torana was a far more Australian car than the Cortina equivalent, which was just a locally assembled version of a British model.
Camira was a locally designed, engineered and built version of the worldwide 'J car' platform....it was a brilliantly designed car which blitzed the competition in performance, ride and handling, amongst other things. Yes, the Camira was, at the time, the benchmark of the medium car class. But as we all know, it was let down by it's poor build quality, which could be attributed to teething problems with advanced (at the time) material and assembly technologies.
On the other hand, the Ford Laser and Telstar were initially locally assembled Mazdas, later becoming fully imported, rebadged Mazdas. It is obvious, at least in that era, who made more of an effort to be Australian throughout their range.

Quote:
Why Holden and its true believers keep perpetuating the myth they are an iconic Australian brand is just pure marketing bullsh-t to sell more cars to suckers who are dumb enough or brainwashed thru the generations to beleive in it.
Football, Meat pies, Kangaroos, whatever!
They ARE an iconic brand in Australia. The 'Holden' brand is UNIQUE to Australia. Yes, their parent company is a multinational. Are they denying that at all? Can you please point out exactly where they are claiming that they are 100% Australian owned or their cars are 100% Aussie designed and built?

Last edited by rick69; 12-08-2005 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:41 AM   #68
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick69
Look at it this way... The Torana was a far more Australian car than the Cortina equivalent, which was just a locally assembled version of a British model.
Torana was an Opel with Aussie driveline and engine. What about the 4.1 6cyl Cortinas? They never had that in Europe in the Cortina/Taunus.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 12-08-2005, 12:55 AM   #69
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They ARE an iconic brand in Australia. The 'Holden' brand is UNIQUE to Australia. Yes, their parent company is a multinational. Are they denying that at all? Can you please point out exactly where they are claiming that they are 100% Australian owned or their cars are 100% Aussie designed and built?
The marque is unique to Australia and New Zealand there is no denying that.
There should be a survey in the public which brand do they associate with Australia more. I bet at least 7/10 the answer would be Holden.

However knowledgable folks know that neither are uniquely Australian regardless of how much is made, designed etc here. Lets make them both Australian everything and watch everyone b**ch about the prices. I couldnt wait for that laugh.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:25 AM   #70
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The later LH and LJ Toranas were Aussie designed

original was a modified Vauxhall.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:34 AM   #71
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
The later LH and LJ Toranas were Aussie designed

original was a modified Vauxhall.
Neither of the two were Aussie designed cars. There was never an Aussie designed Torana, they were all modified versions of imported Opels, much like the Commodore.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 12-08-2005, 01:41 AM   #72
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
It is obvious, at least in that era, who made more of an effort to be Australian throughout their range.
Whats this? After midnight? rick I have to commend your dedication!
We have Mitchay here to post tangents for the blue team and he does his best! He's young, but he does show commitment.

You rick on the other hand a surely a driven individual, staying up well past your cocoa time to post manic nonsense on behalf of camira lovers everywhere.
Son you deserve your green gemini badge, wear it proudly, in shopping centres and at computer swap meets. Let them know you are rick defender of the red.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:45 AM   #73
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Neither of the two were Aussie designed cars. There was never an Aussie designed Torana, they were all modified versions of imported Opels, much like the Commodore.
Wrong again Steffo, there were Aussie designed Toranas that came after the LJ, the ones that looked liked 3 boxes. They even managed to make a few show muscle before Toranas eventual demise.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:52 AM   #74
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Whats this? After midnight? rick I have to commend your dedication!
We have Mitchay here to post tangents for the blue team and he does his best! He's young, but he does show commitment.
If Holden had a worthwile competitor to the TX5 i would of considered but there is no Holden that comes close to it. Lol its also Japanese go figure not even Australian.

When the rubber breaks or i need to tow a boat Ill get a Commodore lol. They are nice cars but just dont cater to my needs.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:05 AM   #75
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
If Holden had a worthwile competitor to the TX5 i would of considered but there is no Holden that comes close to it. Lol its also Japanese go figure not even Australian.

When the rubber breaks or i need to tow a boat Ill get a Commodore lol. They are nice cars but just dont cater to my needs.
Your needs? that involves dark alleys, pay day, and a caring Mexican whore called Conchita what has that got to do with Holden's prior mistakes?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:08 AM   #76
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Your needs? that involves dark alleys, pay day, and a caring Mexican whore called Conchita what has that got to do with Holden's prior mistakes?
Dude WTF. Seriously what alcohol do you drink lol. Anyways your a funny bastard.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:46 AM   #77
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Couldn't resist finding some TX3/TX5 competitors :P

http://groups.msn.com/CamiraCommunit...o&PhotoID=1629
http://groups.msn.com/CamiraCommunit...o&PhotoID=1679
http://groups.msn.com/CamiraCommunit...o&PhotoID=1793
http://groups.msn.com/CamiraCommunit...to&PhotoID=840
http://groups.msn.com/CamiraCommunit...o&PhotoID=1786

:hihi:

These'll keep ya happy Rick69
Old 12-08-2005, 09:53 AM   #78
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Argh! My Eyes! i feel so dirty! (and not in the good way!)
Old 12-08-2005, 09:54 AM   #79
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Couldn't resist finding some TX3/TX5 competitors :P

http://groups.msn.com/CamiraCommunit...o&PhotoID=1629
Smoke coming from the front of the car, near where the engine is?!?

That's just not right - I'd be worried if I saw that much smoke in FRONT of me... :hihi:
Old 12-08-2005, 11:37 AM   #80
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dude you call that a car lol. Whats goin on here. Comes no where near the TX5. I can pull more smoke than that. But after a few tyres I realized what was the point.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #81
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry .. just had to get this one in ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The 253/304/308/350 Holden motors were of Buick design origins, were they not?
Yep .. just like the Ford 429 Boss (Cresent) engine was of a Chrysler 426 Hemi (Elephant) origin ;)

Holden were using design queues from other GM divisions. It's not surprising they "look" like other engines (eg. external oil pump .. ah la Buick, Olds, Pontiac (BOP) etc ........ alloy timing cover .. ah al BOP, etc, etc). It's basically like saying Ford copied GM with the introduction of the OHV Y-block in '54 ...
Old 12-08-2005, 12:45 PM   #82
The Mighty Red

Geez these South Aussies really have got some explaining to do , they make the commodorre and the magna,
Gee you really are a funny lot! LOL , hahaha
Old 12-08-2005, 06:39 PM   #83
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Dude you call that a car lol. Whats goin on here. Comes no where near the TX5. I can pull more smoke than that. But after a few tyres I realized what was the point.
Q: Why did the washing machine laugh?
A: Coz it took the p1ss out of the undies
Old 12-08-2005, 07:37 PM   #84
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol yeah but i wouldnt of referred to it as a car. I would of called it s**t on wheels.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #85
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

Quote:
Seriously some people need a tissue box over the issue. Has anyone here bought a car on the specific basis of it being more Aussie than the other?

It works for them doesnt it. Once again ask how many of these Holden drivers bought the car because they think its more Aussie than Ford. They sell more because they are more popular.

Ford can bring out the best car in the world and be more aussie but if Holden are still more popular they are goin to sell more.

Havent Ford won 3 best car awards or something and out of the 3 only 1 has outsold the competitor.
If Toyota have been No 1 for some time now, surely that means they are the most popular doesn't it.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:43 PM   #86
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If Toyota have been No 1 for some time now, surely that means they are the most popular doesn't it.
What i meant was that they are more popular than Ford. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:45 PM   #87
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

No Rick69 tonight? he's late for his nightly humiliation!

Still maybe tonight he has Cubs. I've hear he almost has Greg Murphy badge for hus creation of elasticised cardboard sideburns. :
Old 12-08-2005, 07:47 PM   #88
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

He's still pushing the VL home from school.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 12-08-2005, 07:48 PM   #89
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
He's still pushing the VL home from school.
Didn't school want it either?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:59 PM   #90
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
umm how many bathursts and championships did Toranas win?
quite a few wasnt it?

Both companies are Australian arms of American multinationals, so whats the big deal?
Does just winning Bathurst mean its a great car?, maybe it used to be 'Win on Sunday sell on Monday' back in the good old XW, XY days. Now the V8 supercars are worlds apart from what you actually buy at retail. Bathurst is only one round of a championship series (albeit an important one) that gives the fans and the manufacturer bragging rights for another year. If im not mistaken I think FORD have won more ATCC's overall havn't they.
I agree both are multinationals FORD just happend to stick with the same name for Australia, if that makes GMC's Holden more unique, more aussie a bigger deal, so be it.