Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #61
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: QLD will use GPS technology to capture the location of more than a million vehic

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
some people watch way too much tv!!
Really? You can't see any possible way this could be abused as many other laws and regulations have in the past and are right now being abused by police and authorities?

How superbly trusting of you...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #62
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: QLD will use GPS technology to capture the location of more than a million vehic

actually (tin foil hat activated), i think it is a prelude to charging rego fees by the KM's you do.

See, once every one turns into a super greenie and drives around in electric, hydrogen, moonbeam powered cars, Gov Co. will start missing out on a lot of tax revenue wont they.
So they will start charging by the KM's you do each year - thats fair right? Sure, if they charge me nothing for the 10 cars a rego that i drive one day a year.

but they wont do that. they will charge current rego (or a little bit less) and then wack every one with usage charges - of which alot will not go towards roads at all.

Can they trust us to give accurate odometer readings - no way, so they will get us to use these GPS things that they introduced for safety reasons a few years earlier.

plus youll be hit with $10000 a house hold to upgrade the electricity grid so it can handle hte increased demand from electric cars -but thats a different tin foil hat
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #63
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Seeing Current Affair tonight, it was clear that the Sheriffs Department was using number plate recognition
to scope car parks and wheel clamp people with outstanding infringements warrants and down the road, another
unit was set up to catch more people with more outstanding warrants, pay up now or we're taking your car.

As with most thing to do with the government, the main incentive here is to collect outstanding fines and
increase revenue but I have to wonder what becomes of serial evaders with no ability to pay huge fines,
will this result in many more people declaring bankruptcy to avoid paying and then claiming to be hardship cases.

These actions normally have unexpected consequences that public service stamp-lickers never consider..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #64
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I fail to see the issue here, apart from being QLD...again.

Police can monitor your every move via your mobile phone, all this will do is make the process quicker as they wont have to rely on 3rd party input(Telco) to gather the evidence.

Unless im mistaken, it was this technology which assisted police in catching the murderer of Jill Meagher recently.
Im led to believe that all mobile signals in that vicinity were tracked via Telco records to see who the possible assailants were and where they went soon after.

If you have nothing to hide there is nothing to fear.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #65
kiwiinaus
Starter Motor

the real issue in the future will be cross overs of differing legislation. in particular the anti association laws (so called bikie laws but they don't actually mention bikies) where by they can then link you to others whom you may just happen to be in the same vicinity as for a totally different reason but you have absolutly no recourse as the police do not have to divulge their motives under this foul piece of legislation.
kiwiinaus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #66
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiinaus View Post
the real issue in the future will be cross overs of differing legislation. in particular the anti association laws (so called bikie laws but they don't actually mention bikies) where by they can then link you to others whom you may just happen to be in the same vicinity as for a totally different reason but you have absolutly no recourse as the police do not have to divulge their motives under this foul piece of legislation.
You joined up to say that.

Is that u Flappy...
Old 03-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #67
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Seeing Current Affair tonight, it was clear that the Sheriffs Department was using number plate recognition
to scope car parks and wheel clamp people with outstanding infringements warrants and down the road, another
unit was set up to catch more people with more outstanding warrants, pay up now or we're taking your car.

As with most thing to do with the government, the main incentive here is to collect outstanding fines and
increase revenue but I have to wonder what becomes of serial evaders with no ability to pay huge fines,
will this result in many more people declaring bankruptcy to avoid paying and then claiming to be hardship cases.

These actions normally have unexpected consequences that public service stamp-lickers never consider..
They most likely are aware of the future potentialities but are too busy telling us "if you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about"

The "public service stamp-lickers" are durable and can outlast many of their political "masters"
Old 03-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #68
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus View Post
The 'I've got nothing to hide' mob can have a group hug.
Don't forget the group hug!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #69
BHDOGS
Banned

going after people to pay there fines for breaking the law outrageous where will it end whats next making people responsible for there own actions where will the madness end oh woah is me a current affair enough said
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #70
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
going after people to pay there fines for breaking the law outrageous where will it end whats next making people responsible for there own actions where will the madness end oh woah is me a current affair enough said
While I understand that it's necessary to force people to pay their fines, performing basically a "stick up"
is not going to achieve much beyond impounding a lot of vehicles, filing for bankruptcy because they cannot pay the amount.

In the end I can see this adding to government costs rather than recovering the vast sums anticipated..
It's my opinion that governments should not allow fines to escalate to the levels they do, without earlier intervention.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #71
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
While I understand that it's necessary to force people to pay their fines, performing basically a "stick up"
is not going to achieve much beyond impounding a lot of vehicles, filing for bankruptcy because they cannot pay the amount.

In the end I can see this adding to government costs rather than recovering the vast sums anticipated..
It's my opinion that governments should not allow fines to escalate to the levels they do, without earlier intervention.
All good and well, but what about when one considers that most of these fines have been issued not because someone was causing someone else harm or loss, but because said legislative instrument was designed as a pure cash grab? We as a nation need to look at the legitimacy of the system as a whole and not just focus on one aspect.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #72
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
number plate check here, number plate check their.
here's your fine buddy, covered the distance to quickly.
they do it with trucks already with speeding and logbook fines,
"safety cam" my a*$
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #73
tweeked
N/A all the way

To the nothing to hide brigade, I get your point, as I have nothing to hide. But I want to go about my business without an overbearing, constant eye on me. We are not there yet, (too much loss of privacy) but with the way technology is moving, we could go beyond what a free society should accept very quickly.

So enough of your belittling comments of conspiracy and tin foil hats, it is a legitimate concern for the future.

So for those who think concern about this is silly, where should it end? When is enough enough? I am interested where you all stand on that?

We can outlaw clothes in the end, all walk around naked with nothing to hide, nowhere to conceal a gun (comfortably!). Is it before that, or after?????

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #74
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
To the nothing to hide brigade, I get your point, as I have nothing to hide. But I want to go about my business without an overbearing, constant eye on me. We are not there yet, (too much loss of privacy) but with the way technology is moving, we could go beyond what a free society should accept very quickly.

So enough of your belittling comments of conspiracy and tin foil hats, it is a legitimate concern for the future.

So for those who think concern about this is silly, where should it end? When is enough enough? I am interested where you all stand on that?

We can outlaw clothes in the end, all walk around naked with nothing to hide, nowhere to conceal a gun (comfortably!). Is it before that, or after?????
Its only a legitimate concern for those who consider it in day to day life.

Ask yourself how many motorists there are on QLD roads and then work out how often you personally will be affected by the new legislation.

I would think that current RBT's would cause more regular interference and I can count the number of RBT's ive been pulled over at on one hand in 20 years of driving.

Slightly OT, but...

People always complain about being treated with suspicion by the police, but considering normal motorists outnumber police by a long way, it is only those who stick their head out who get pulled over.
There just aint enough cops to pull everyone over for the sake of it.

Recently a mate got pulled over for suspected drug/drink driving.
He had swerved slightly whilst reaching behind to give his son a bottle.

he was tested and then defected for too loud and too low, to which he protested.
Well, he drives a Black VX Berlina international, lowered, with a modified V8 and dark window tint in the Salisbury/Elizabeth are, what do you expect.
It is a magnet for coppers.

Now, im sure someone will say 'but I should be able to drive what I want without fear'
That may be true, but if you chose to stick your head out, expect to get noticed.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #75
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezxr8man View Post
they do it with trucks already with speeding and logbook fines,
its a good thing the majority of posters in this thread aren't in the truck industry. they'd go mental with all the extra scrutiny.

point to point camera's, speed limiters, gps tracking, data logging, restrictions on driving hours, log books, extra scrutiny by media etc etc etc

imagine if everything truck drivers have to deal with, got introduced to car drivers. most on here would have a meltdown it would seem.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #76
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
its a good thing the majority of posters in this thread aren't in the truck industry. they'd go mental with all the extra scrutiny.

point to point camera's, speed limiters, gps tracking, data logging, restrictions on driving hours, log books, extra scrutiny by media etc etc etc

imagine if everything truck drivers have to deal with, got introduced to car drivers. most on here would have a meltdown it would seem.
maybe a lot of drivers left the industry because it's become a mugs game.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #77
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

btw - I am sure govt cars would be exempt (police, politicians etc)
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #78
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
maybe a lot of drivers left the industry because it's become a mugs game.
Not me, i'd go back to it in a heart beat if circumstance and opportunity was present.
These things are no different to SOP's on a shop floor, they are implemented to prevent drivers from being overworked and therefore a hazard to themselves and those around them on the road and for security reasons.

Its ironic that this would be brought up as these things are PREVENTITIVE measures.
So too are safety cameras and speed camera's.

Without them our roads would descend into anarchy, much like the transport industry would without its tight guidelines.

Its easy to claim that cameras don't save lives, because they are used and the road toll is X, without them the road toll could be...
Old 04-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #79
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Not me, i'd go back to it in a heart beat if circumstance and opportunity was present.
These things are no different to SOP's on a shop floor, they are implemented to prevent drivers from being overworked and therefore a hazard to themselves and those around them on the road and for security reasons.

Its ironic that this would be brought up as these things are PREVENTITIVE measures.
So too are safety cameras and speed camera's.

Without them our roads would descend into anarchy, much like the transport industry would without its tight guidelines.

Its easy to claim that cameras don't save lives, because they are used and the road toll is X, without them the road toll could be...
in the 80's, overnighting it was fun.
not boring like today sterile expressways. you actually had to think.

cat and mouse game with the law, your radar detector vs their radar guns.

beating the scale's with heavy loads, having two licences and log books.

ya cant even have a joke with the coppers anymore, it's all business now not like before.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #80
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
in the 80's, overnighting it was fun.
not boring like today sterile expressways. you actually had to think.

cat and mouse game with the law, your radar detector vs their radar guns.

beating the scale's with heavy loads, having two licences and log books.

ya cant even have a joke with the coppers anymore, it's all business now not like before.
Agreed, care to show the difference between the number of road users then to now?

Its a completely different world with completely different guidelines, and so it should be.