Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-10-2005, 10:37 PM   #61
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Also I6 is better on gas and this gives ford the edge in the taxi market.
Only if you offer the market taxi pack falcons with yellow paint. Haven't you noticed the Avalons lately?
Old 25-10-2005, 10:40 PM   #62
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Only if you offer the market taxi pack falcons with yellow paint. Haven't you noticed the Avalons lately?
0.5 avalon for every ten fords.
Avalon is one of toyota's worst sellers they needed to do something to get it to move. Cause I see more avalon taxi's than regular avalons.
Old 25-10-2005, 11:05 PM   #63
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys for clearing that up about V6s and I6s.
Old 25-10-2005, 11:33 PM   #64
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

These BF's are great!

Ford should be given credit for such a great update, and yes, one that it directly comparible to the commodore as outlined by some posters above. The all new model cycles between Ford and Holden are out of sync, by about 6-12 months, but given time and fair comparisons can be made.

I just peeled my butt out of a Rapid BF XR8, finally was able to put it through its paces in the dry!!! what a great drive. The new box is just so good, it has transformed every model. The sound is still so addictive even with the new sound reductions etc.
Old 26-10-2005, 04:41 PM   #65
xrobx
Slammin'

Wheels is a biased magazine. Very Biased.

Although i'm glad Ford won, i bet it was very hollow. $$$?

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx
Old 26-10-2005, 05:14 PM   #66
SSbaby
Banned

Not taking anything away from Falcon's easy win...

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what scribes write in general. They are so out of touch with the common buyer its not funny. Wheels is a joke of a magazine. Any magazine that awards COTY to $200K cars, either has a A) a credibility problem or B) is out of touch with mainstream society or C) suffers from both. Wheels would have to be the most inconsistent bunch of car reviewers...

Me, if I were considering a family sedan hack, I would be happy with the 380. No hesitation. But having read the article, the 380 seemed like an abject failure, which is really a harsh judgement. Wheels should know better by now. Even 4-cyl Camry is a good family car, IMHO.

Sure the 6-speeder is a welcome addition to the Falcon line-up. It is only 12 months from being mainstream across all models as I'm sure VE will have a 6 spd standard, manual or auto. But please don't tell me it transforms the car. It's an auto transmission for chrissakes... albeit a very good one! Most auto drivers just press the loud pedal and move off while the auto takes care of its work almost seamlessly. The only real world advantage noticed by the owner of a 6 spd auto compared to a 4-spd would be at the bowser... though still not as good as a manual in that regard. ;)

Anyway, XR6 having a 2-star advantage over the 5-speed auto Commodore sounds like a huge whalloping... though I doubt the difference is that great... BF XR6 nearly twice the car the SV6 is... mostly due to the addition of two extra cogs?

I can sense the trend here... in 12 months from now, VE will be out to give BF a thumping and some here will be kicking and screaming... just as some in the Holden camp are currently doing (err, not yours truly!).

Let's not get too hung over about the outcome. Whether the journos like it or not, evaluating Commodores and Falcons sells magazines even if they generally prefer to drive exotics.

Anyways, that's just my 2c.

Cheers
Old 26-10-2005, 05:56 PM   #67
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Sure the 6-speeder is a welcome addition to the Falcon line-up. It is only 12 months from being mainstream across all models as I'm sure VE will have a 6 spd standard, manual or auto. But please don't tell me it transforms the car. It's an auto transmission for chrissakes... albeit a very good one! Most auto drivers just press the loud pedal and move off while the auto takes care of its work almost seamlessly. The only real world advantage noticed by the owner of a 6 spd auto compared to a 4-spd would be at the bowser... though still not as good as a manual in that regard. ;)
Obviously you havent heard of the different ratio spread that the new auto offers ?
Thay have a lower 1st gear for faster take off, and more evenly spread ratios for better acceleration.
And in a modded car, XR6T especially, it would allow the engine to stay on peak boost, beacause of the closer ratios.

Lots of different reasons to rave about a 6 speed auto, not to mention they can handle 600nm of torque as well !!
Old 26-10-2005, 07:13 PM   #68
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWXA
Don't worry about him, nothing in his mind will beat his SV6. Have a look at his previous post and 80% of them are completely Ford bashing like a 14 year old would. He's been threatened with a Holiday by the mod's over there for previous posts.
Off topic but does anybody want to see the PM I got from the person I was talking about on the LS1 forum. In defense of LS1.com 99% of them are a logical sensible bunch who don't take things to far.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
Old 26-10-2005, 07:17 PM   #69
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Off topic but does anybody want to see the PM I got from the person I was talking about on the LS1 forum. In defense of LS1.com 99% of them are a logical sensible bunch who don't take things to far.
Post it up, be good for a laugh, was it something to do with buying an SV6 then needing a box of tissues to deal with the Ford bias of Wheels magazine ?
Old 26-10-2005, 07:22 PM   #70
XAGSV8
Member 178

PM I got of LS1 forums from user vzsv6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzsv6
Yeah I saw the comments you made about me on the ford forum, you must think you look so good now in front of your buddies.

The bottom line is, you drive an xa, a severely outdated pile of sh1t which should have been scrapped decades ago. A pure bogan's car.
Maybe, just maybe one day when you might be able to afford a new car such as an sv6, you can stand up and make comments about me. Otherwise get back in your centrelink queue and shut up....you bogan.
A few points to make on this.

1. I can afford a new car but I would rather drive a Pulsar I don't care about. My money goes into a mini getting a full ground up resto not to mention my XA.

2. My XA would turn more heads then an SV6 and has been in many car shows.

3. I have never set foot in Centrelink so I don't even know what it looks like in there.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia

Last edited by XAGSV8; 26-10-2005 at 07:28 PM.
Old 26-10-2005, 07:27 PM   #71
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

That is too sad to be funny, poor guy needs to ride in the back seat of his SV6 to get a smile like the boy in the add, he's obviously not getting any enjoyment in the drivers seat. :MrT_anim:

Edit, GSWXA, you don't have to justify his comments, you're XA is cleaner than most cars 12months old, he's a Holden fan that is close to getting the boot at LS1.com, not even his brethren respect his opinions.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 26-10-2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old 26-10-2005, 07:31 PM   #72
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
PM I got of LS1 forums from user vzsv6
This guy probably thinks the old monaro's should be melted down.

Whats funny is that I brought up his comment and you got harassed. Sorry..

Has he ever had made a constructive comment??
Old 26-10-2005, 07:36 PM   #73
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:

Nothing to be sorry about, I was surprised he was even reading it being on a ford forum(not that I have anything to hide). As for the PM I chose to ignore it because you can't reason with people like that. I found it pretty funny actually(why would you throw more wood onto a fire if you know what I mean).

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia

Last edited by XAGSV8; 26-10-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 26-10-2005, 07:50 PM   #74
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yep. He once said he gets physically sick whenever he sits in a Falcon...Ford should give him one for a week....better then a colonoscopy...
Old 26-10-2005, 07:50 PM   #75
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
That is too sad to be funny, poor guy needs to ride in the back seat of his SV6 to get a smile like the boy in the add, he's obviously not getting any enjoyment in the drivers seat. :MrT_anim:

Edit, GSWXA, you don't have to justify his comments, you're XA is cleaner than most cars 12months old, he's a Holden fan that is close to getting the boot at LS1.com, not even his brethren respect his opinions.
i agree

aint it so funny that when the crapadore/dunnydore has it over the falcon they all say all this crud that thats why you need a holden

then when it turns around (great to see ) they come out with coments like we need to put it up against a model that still yrs away lol

the way i see it the falcon will kick a*s for many yrs to come

thats if they keep the good work going

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 26-10-2005, 07:53 PM   #76
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Let's not get too hung over about the outcome. Whether the journos like it or not, evaluating Commodores and Falcons sells magazines even if they generally prefer to drive exotics.

Cheers
So true, put a dinosaur on a children's book and it will sell up a storm, put a Commodore or Falcon on the front of Wheels or Motor and there will be a sales jump, although in this case a Commodore and a dinosaur could be the same thing...please I'm only joking....
Old 26-10-2005, 07:54 PM   #77
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Yep. He once said he gets physically sick whenever he sits in a Falcon...Ford should give him one for a week....better then a colonoscopy...
LOL that's so funny, although blue runs through my veins I certainly am able to give a Holden credit when it due.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
Old 26-10-2005, 08:01 PM   #78
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yup so can i lol

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 26-10-2005, 08:12 PM   #79
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what scribes write in general. They are so out of touch with the common buyer its not funny. Wheels is a joke of a magazine. Any magazine that awards COTY to $200K cars, either has a A) a credibility problem or B) is out of touch with mainstream society or C) suffers from both. Wheels would have to be the most inconsistent bunch of car reviewers...

Me, if I were considering a family sedan hack, I would be happy with the 380. No hesitation. But having read the article, the 380 seemed like an abject failure, which is really a harsh judgement. Wheels should know better by now. Even 4-cyl Camry is a good family car, IMHO.

Anyway, XR6 having a 2-star advantage over the 5-speed auto Commodore sounds like a huge whalloping... though I doubt the difference is that great... BF XR6 nearly twice the car the SV6 is... mostly due to the addition of two extra cogs?

I can sense the trend here... in 12 months from now, VE will be out to give BF a thumping and some here will be kicking and screaming... just as some in the Holden camp are currently doing (err, not yours truly!).

Cheers
BA XR6 kicked the SV6's **** with the old 4 speed, so the 6 speed takes it a few more light years ahead. As for 6 speeds standard you have got to be joking. The auto will be 5 speeds for 6's and 6 speeds for V8's. Wether Executive gets the 5 speed who knows. Those grapes you ate are sour ain't they. LOL.
Old 26-10-2005, 08:22 PM   #80
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
While it does reduce fuel consumption, a bigger difference between the 4-spd and the 6-spd is that it's a smoother ride. The VX i drive occationaly (mums car and she drives it very carefully) bugs me because when it changes gear it isn't smooth. It's been like that since new, and the car dosen't get thrashed.
The car market is competitive and if your going to buy a new car you want a car that drives smoothly. The six speed is a very good step in the right direction as what a car can do in 400m dosn't concern alot of motorists.
Old 26-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #81
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:

Cheers
So you can instantly assume that the cars are not transformed without even driving them? You are a talented reviewer that's for sure. Why would you even bother test driving a car if you know what it's like, even if the car had one of its most significant driveline components upgraded?

When you have actually driven said car, i will then treat your opinion on the matter with more respect - this one - it's just sour grapes.

I've driven pretty much all variants of BF with the new 6spd auto. Don't under estimate the update, for a end of cycle upgrade, Ford should be given a huge pat on the back. There has been a hell of alot more than just a new box gone into BF. I can tell you, the BF is significantly a different driving experience over BA2, so to me, labelling it as being transformed is totally justified.
Old 26-10-2005, 08:38 PM   #82
DazBA
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
You have to remember your comparing a new model (BF) to another new model (380) to a soon to be outdated SV6...i think a fairer comparison would be to put it to the VE because lets face it, the sv6 isnt exactly new....and no, im not being biased, i hear the alloytechs are crud, i just think the comparison is wrong....either way, it doesnt bode well for missybishy
No different to when the VT came out back in '97. The EL was used for comparisons. They didn't wait for the AU to come out.
Old 26-10-2005, 08:52 PM   #83
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One review I read on the net a while back said that the 6spd manual SV6 beat the BA XR6 5spd in performance only. The rest of the review, gave all the credit to the XR6. Spose it depends on what review you read.

Oh wells doesnt bother me, I dont have either and don't have a longing to own either. Both are nice cars but for the money spent to buy one and for my own needs I could buy a different car an flog them both.
Old 26-10-2005, 09:11 PM   #84
clampy
Mr Extraordinary

if you get a manual v8 xt, or a manual xr6 na, you still get 5 gears yes?
Old 26-10-2005, 09:27 PM   #85
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:

Erm, the only car in recent history to be worth close to that, which won COTY, would be the W220 S-Class in 1999...

Look at the past few winners... Ford SX Territory ($38k base), Mazda RX-8 ($40k odd base), Ford BA Falcon ($33k base).....
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 26-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #86
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Erm, the only car in recent history to be worth close to that, which won COTY, would be the W220 S-Class in 1999...

Look at the past few winners... Ford SX Territory ($38k base), Mazda RX-8 ($40k odd base), Ford BA Falcon ($33k base).....

Surely someone who prides himself on his research would be able to come up with better than that, Steffo. How could you forget the Lexus LS400 and BMW 735i? Oh I forgot, you're only 18 but act older.
Old 26-10-2005, 09:59 PM   #87
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Mazda RX-8 ($40k odd base),

Mazda must be having some huge disounting going on.

ZoomZoomZoom.

Try 55K for an RX-8... The magazine you looked at must have a misprint.
Old 26-10-2005, 10:02 PM   #88
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmansour
Try 55K for an RX-8... The magazine you looked at must have a misprint.
Was just a guess off the top of my head. Not really interested in cars like that, so I've got no idea what they cost :P

:
Old 26-10-2005, 10:03 PM   #89
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Surely someone who prides himself on his research would be able to come up with better than that, Steffo. How could you forget the Lexus LS400 and BMW 735i? Oh I forgot, you're only 18 but act older.
That's three... most of the time much cheaper cars win COTY. Barina's even won it once I believe...

(btw... I started reading Wheels in 2002...)

:
Old 26-10-2005, 10:09 PM   #90
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartion
if you get a manual v8 xt, or a manual xr6 na, you still get 5 gears yes?
6 Speed on XR6 N/A both auto and manual.

Cant get manual V8 XT anymore.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Closed Thread