Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-10-2007, 10:39 PM   #61
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

This was mostly left alone while Tooheys sponsored the race...
I think there really needs to be a Police presents...
Things will cool down... Takes a few dickkheads to stuff it up for so few...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 11:22 PM   #62
Sam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some bogan on the local news tonight stating that he and " a couple of hundred people" were very unhappy with the changes put in place for this year. The biggest thing i've noticed is

1) cops everywhere, on bikes, dirtbikes, cars, 4wds, unmarked cars, etc. And on every entrance to the track, i nearly shat myself when going to the tip yesterday, 8 cops at the entrance!!
2) Not as many bogans just stirring up crap, which can only be a good thing
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 11:27 PM   #63
jazzy
Don't fall off.

one thing i noticed when watching the videos.. just about all these bogans are carring a can. maybe banning alcohol wouldnt be such a bad idea after all.. unfortunately, thanks to these idots.. that looks likely..(although i doubt it would happen)
i cant see a problem with an increased police presence there(annoying as they are). as long as they are targeting these morons and not handing out ridiculous speeding / unroadworthy fines.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:36 PM   #64
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

After watching these videos and geting an idea of the attitude of the crowd, I wish the constabulary good luck. I just hope that things don't get out of control. Too much to lose.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:59 PM   #65
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

As a girl and having been to Bathurst 5 times and camped for all of them - unfortunately the stories are correct.... I knew it was time to stop going when even during the day i had to have one of the boys come with me to the toilets (unless i wanted to be grabbed, groped or even worse)... Granted things have changed and the boys I know that go say it is a heck of a lot better now- it would wanna be.

Hubby ironically rang me earlier (he is at bathurst) and mentioned how there are a heap more women and kids there and that the police have even got campsites and are there in unmarked cars- mainly for drugs and fireworks.
The last year i was there, they set fire to a car on top of the mountain. Up goes the firies.... and their tyres got slashed whilst trying to put out the flames.

In the past they just tried pushing them out further - clearly it's gone beyond that and it got so bad they needed drastic measures. I hope it cleans it up - it is an amazing thing to go up there and if it means more families will go, then i'm all for it.

Sure they shouldn'tve let it go this long and perhaps done something earlier, but you can't change that so better late than never....

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 12:43 AM   #66
rich

The last time I went was in 93, and the reason I never went back was that I had accidently walked through an area some bikies had roped off and they all started at me like they were going to kill me, they can keep it.

The most patheticly funny thing that I saw was a bogan getting out of his tent 3.30pm on race day and asking if the race had started, his tent was about 10 metres from the track, that got a few laughs. Its better on tv.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 01:13 AM   #67
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
This was mostly left alone while Tooheys sponsored the race...
I think there really needs to be a Police presents...
Things will cool down... Takes a few dickkheads to stuff it up for so few...

I last went in the late 70's and the bannana brains were then dipping toilet rolls in petrol and thrown them at one another.
I went to watch a car race the only difference was there were more makes competing not to be intimidated by mob rule that have no real intrested in cars only a drunken out of control weekend to boast about to mates how good it was but by the looks of it the drunken yobbs are more out of control
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 01:35 AM   #68
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
Not so! - That type of attitude is exactly what the government wants. APEC was a shining example of police given too much power and a free reign harassing innocent people going about their daily business - "papers, vwhere are your papers!!!"

I have been to Bathurst many times - taken the wife, the kids there is never an issue. Yes there are ****ed bogans everywhere unfortunately - but how is this any different to going to an NRL game or a concert. Personally I have never been hassled or had any sort of problem whatsoever. I would totally recommend taking young children and women...don't let this thread scare you. :
What a crock of crap. We had freedoms galore once, a time when people didnt act like this, there was respect. People start taking 5hit too far and the inevitable will happen. People need to learn when to pull their head in, and if they wont, the Police need to knock it in.

Its almost like watching MadMax...

350 cops today, or no race tomorrow. You choose.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 03:27 AM   #69
carnutt

Full Article or a couple of Quotes from the Papers

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...006784,00.html

Police have manned checkpoints on the way to Mount Panorama, checking vehicles to ensure a one carton of alcohol per adult per day limit is adhered to, with officers confiscating any excess.

A 750-strong police team drawn from around the state has converged on Bathurst, strictly monitoring fans at Mount Panorama, enforcing alcohol rationing and so far laying 80 charges against racegoers.
Charges have included possession and supply of illegal drugs, malicious damage and offensive behaviour, and 21 people have been issued banning notices for the remainder of the event.

"Fans and families that do the right thing have nothing to worry about," Mr Dobson said.

"Those who want to play up and engage in anti-social or criminal behaviour will be dealt with accordingly."

People found taking prohibited items into Mount Panorama face a possible two-year jail term or $11,000 fine
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

New Safety Measures to Come :-

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/content...bathurst_1000/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __

http://www.smh.com.au/news/motorspor...091425050.html

Quotes :-

Brock Tributes to be removed Each Year after being Photographed for safety reasons .

Alcohol Limit :-
But some longstanding race fans vowed never to go again because of a one-slab-a-day limit on alcohol permitted on the mountain.

_ _ _ _ _

http://www.abc.net.au/news/tag/antisocial-behaviour/

More than 30 people have been arrested ahead of this weekend's Bathurst 1000 car races at Mount Panorama over crimes including drug and gun possession, and nail attacks.

Gun Possession seems a bit of a worry , wonder what they were planning for them ?

Seems like "1 Slab of Beer per person per day" is right .

carnutt

Oi , Watch it . Or I'll Rip Your BLUDDY Arm's Orf

Last edited by carnutt; 07-10-2007 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Added Gun Possession
carnutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #70
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

I dunno about you guys... But a full carton would cause anyone to do stupid crap....

Do what the cricket does... Have a few stands serving only mid strength....

If your going to drink only to get ****ed, and you take that away, it will filter out these halfwits and allow more space for the people who want to watch the best race in the world...
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 09:19 PM   #71
XR8Master

No matter how civilised we think we are, humans always seem to have an uncanny ability to revert back to there animal like instincts at any given moment.
XR8Master is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #72
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAGSV8
I found that so embarrassing to watch!

How can people behave like that?!
No wonder police are cracking down on them, they are animals.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #73
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you need to stop blaming the police and look at the tools that cause this. I was a grid official in the mid 80s and things were great in the paddock but the hill was almost a no go area. cars torched victims of assault taken to hospital and remember dick johnsons rock? it was widely belived that it was drunken idiots that caused that! if you need to get blind drunk to watch the race do so at home in front of the TV and with any luck the only victim will be your liver. leave the track to those who are serious about the race. the track is no place for drunken idiots it is for race fans and should be family friendly
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #74
NA XR6
!!

After watching those clips all i can say is
WHAT A DISGRACE !
NA XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #75
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

I once had to dress the missus up as a bloke when we went up the top.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #76
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I've been told Bathurst is like Summernats, Dont take your missus/daughter or a weekend car.... So it looks like it going to be a boys weekend next year...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #77
VSSII

I was also going to mention the infamous DJ rock incident. With the benefit of hindsight I thought that might have been a good time to begin the clean up. As predicted it seems all threats of another 'riot' so the bogans could get their beloved drinks back were hollow. Bit of a non event thankfully.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #78
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
I once had to dress the missus up as a bloke when we went up the top.
Each to their own I guess but good on you for opening the closet door
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #79
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go baby Go
The last year i was there, they set fire to a car on top of the mountain. Up goes the firies.... and their tyres got slashed whilst trying to put out the flames.
Nice ..
That's basically assult on essential services personel. You assult a cop, ambo or firery then you get thrown in jail. Simple. Maybe we need MORE funding for the cops to buy Bushmasters, then see how far these morons get attempting to slash tyres and throw molotov cocktails?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #80
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems to me people arn't distinguishing between the top and the bottom of the mountain and are scaring a lot of people into not wanting to go.

Personally I find the V8 Supercars boring, repetitive ect. but I do still enjoy going to the race (probably been about 5 times now), just for the spectacle, the noise of the cars ect. Anywhere at the bottom is completley fine - I have taken girlfriends in the past, they have never been hassled, we have sat around young kids, ect., never a problem and I have always really enjoyed the show (and I'm the type of guy that hates bogans, alcohol, yobbos) . If you want to go up the top then do so at your own risk - this is where all the drunken idiots are and is where the police should concentrate their attention (which they do). People in this thread are basically saying something like "don't go to Sydney you will get raped, bashed ect." When in reality you just steer clear of certain suburbs...

Thus to the guy who has now decided not to take his kids - rethink and just take them to the bottom overlooking pit lane or the last corner, it is a great safe day and you see plenty of them spin off on that last bend!
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #81
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes the top of the mount is different to the bottom.. its relatively civilised down the bottom of the circuit.
The problem is Bathurst is one of the worst spectator tracks in Australia in terms of track visibility... the only place where you can see most of the action in terms of passing or car control is up the top..
or maybe sitting on the infield at the chase.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #82
GTP-814
love the quad cams

The day times at the top of the mountain are ok & safe enought for me to take my 2 teenage daughters. They have been going for years now & know how to hurdle drunks asleep on the ground.

The nights are different up their. I can cope with most of their antics, but when it comes to throwing full gas bottles into fires, that takes the cake.

The police this year had everyone focusing on the one case per adult rule, but it was the sniffer dogs that caught them all by surprise & the drug haul they collected was quite large.
cheers
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #83
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I still prefer to chill out at home and have a can anyways though... The weather usually sucks up there...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #84
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
I still prefer to chill out at home and have a can anyways though... The weather usually sucks up there...
Yeah, it usually looks cold and wet. Especially, by comparison, when it is 41 and very dry here at the moment!!
Old 08-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #85
20focus05
I wanna XR5

I have been involed in car shows and when we stopped booze comming in the show was a better place. I knew a young bloke who had his eye taken out by boozy fellas doing circle work up the top of the mount.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #86
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
you need to stop blaming the police and look at the tools that cause this. I was a grid official in the mid 80s and things were great in the paddock but the hill was almost a no go area. cars torched victims of assault taken to hospital and remember dick johnsons rock? it was widely belived that it was drunken idiots that caused that! if you need to get blind drunk to watch the race do so at home in front of the TV and with any luck the only victim will be your liver. leave the track to those who are serious about the race. the track is no place for drunken idiots it is for race fans and should be family friendly
There was an interview with Dick on TV a few weeks ago and he said he was recently approached by the guy who claimed to be responsible for the rock ending up on the track. He claimed that he was using it to put his feet up on when he pushed it too much while trying to get comfortable, then it rolled down the hill and onto the track. No one knows wether he was legit though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #87
juliohooligan
When I grow up I wanna X

It's Bathurst, it is meant to be a little out of control. It is not cricket. I've been many years- when it gets boring (pretty fast) you can go some where else- it's a big hill. Yeah they need cops cause they egg each other on, and on, and ... the mentallity's what got boys on donkeys racing each other 5000 years ago. They are building a big hotel, maybe they want a richer higher class patron, that will pay for some mid race wildlife watching tours.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #88
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I took my 6yr old lad up there in 04 and had no probs at all, seen some funny stuff but no trouble at all.
The funniest thing was this massive guy wearing only his jocks and drinking from an upturned 15ltr blue water cooler bottle with the bottom cut off. His mates were just pouring can after can into it and a few hours later he was trashed to the point where they were carrying him. He was burnt crispy as it was a hot day with no rain surprisingly.
The only other thing i noticed was three guys with a rope lassoo. 1 guy stood up the mound a bit and the other two were holding a huge bra and asking women if it was theres, then coralling them until they were in the noose, then they pulled the noose tight around her feet and all ran down and hugged her.
There was no groping though and it was all in good fun, infact my father in law grabbed the noose and bolted with it which amused a few spectators.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #89
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
The only other thing i noticed was three guys with a rope lassoo. 1 guy stood up the mound a bit and the other two were holding a huge bra and asking women if it was theres, then coralling them until they were in the noose, then they pulled the noose tight around her feet and all ran down and hugged her.
There was no groping though and it was all in good fun, infact my father in law grabbed the noose and bolted with it which amused a few spectators.
Its all fun and games, unless the girl isnt enjoying it too. Many will be fine, have a laugh, many wont like it but are able to just grin and bear it in good humour, others will be scared 5hitless. There is no way to tell how someone will be effected by it. I cant believe some of the stuff people seem to think is OK behavior.

These types of shenanigans are all fun and games when it isnt your daughter, wife etc. Why should any girl have to deal with that, just because she is a girl? If they want to lasso someone, do it to their own wife, daughter. Oh, and legally it is assault, false imprisonment or deprivation of liberty depending on location. Bet they wont see the funny side of that. No no, they will whinge about fun police etc... How dare society impose its sensibilities on them. I hope the irony of that isnt lost on people.

Your wife might be fine with it, have a laugh and memory of an event that she took in good humour. How would you feel if she freaked out, crying? What if the girl in question was once molested or raped, and that brought back memories that effect her? Fun and games still?
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #90
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
I took my 6yr old lad up there in 04 and had no probs at all, seen some funny stuff but no trouble at all.
The funniest thing was this massive guy wearing only his jocks and drinking from an upturned 15ltr blue water cooler bottle with the bottom cut off. His mates were just pouring can after can into it and a few hours later he was trashed to the point where they were carrying him. He was burnt crispy as it was a hot day with no rain surprisingly.
You can't see any problems with any of that?