Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #61
The Monty
Just slidin'

Default Re: TRD Aurion comparable to XR6T ?

Ive had a G6et, been in plenty of turbos, but I seriously love driving the Aurion around as a daily. Let alone the s/c version. Would I have one, HELL YEAH!
Old 19-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #62
ZH For Me
Suckin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
Don't start with the 'pronounced phonetically'.

I've seen GTs getting around with number plates that are 'FGT 13' etc. I know it stands for Ford or FPV GT, but what does it sound like when you pronounce the 'FGT' bit phonetically?
On that note, I always feared that I would see the plates "FGGT" at some point. Sounds great off the tongue, but in writing... Yeeeeeeeah, not so much.

Anyway, getting back to the point at hand, while I admit I've not driven the TRD version, the standard Aurion didn't leave me feeling all that thrilled in the chassis department. That could be because, in my mind (please don't hurt me ), the only true shiners of FWD are the hot hatches, and by comparison the Aurion feels like a cruiser liner, and admittedly I didn't drive it all that long - About 3 hours in total - perhaps I was too hasty, I don't know. I wouldn't say no to giving the TRD a crack, but at the end of the day, I keep coming back to one word; Oversteer .

X-force twin 2 1/2" S/S exhaust ~ High-flow cats ~ Pacemaker extractors
Herrod 25% underdrivers ~ Brenspeed Detroit Rocker cams ~ 2800 morestall
Custom dyno tune by XFT ~ 221rwkw
Old 19-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #63
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
Don't start with the 'pronounced phonetically'.

I've seen GTs getting around with number plates that are 'FGT 13' etc. I know it stands for Ford or FPV GT, but what does it sound like when you pronounce the 'FGT' bit phonetically?
EFFGEETEE
Old 19-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #64
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I used to own a camry I had the v6 sportivo. Car was ugly as sin, but in the 4yrs I owned it NOTHING needed replacing or fixing except the battery and usual service, it would rev like crazy engine note at full rev was great, but it cornered like crap, I had never owned a car where I actually had to take note of the sign that suggested doing 90 around a bend in 110 zone, my fords all just took it in their stride, the camry I had to slow down as it felt like we.were going to just understeer off. I would give a TRD aurion and go, interesting that there is 2 gumtree links to ones for sale, the W.A dealer wants 20k for one with 124,000km and normal features, the QLD dealer (I think) wants same money for the up spec model with 30,000 less km. If I was to buy one I prob fly over to Qld and drive it home hahahahaha.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #65
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Never realised until now that they have two boot spoilers. A lip style, and a wing style at the same time.

I never noticed either, its not as obvious as the AU XR8's
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
This user likes this post:
Old 19-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #66
pearlhead

Sorry guys, wrong thread
Old 19-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #67
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Always liked the look of these on the outside, the interior maybe of good quality but aesthetically it doesn't do much for me.

Early engine failures would have scared a few off no doubt, and unlike the XR6T that may mean the engine is closing in on the limit of its capability std, a far cry from the XR6T.

Overall a pretty decent rig for a Camry, but if your paying that kind of money i'd spend a touch ore and get a well optioned FG/FGII XR6T.
Old 19-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #68
esppwr

Anyone with "some" driving skills could not consider a supercharged Fwd white good v an xr6t, xr8 or SS for that matter. The driving pleasure that comes with an LSD equipped rwd torque monster far outweighs any fwd/awd car. These fwd/awd cars are for people that haven't got the skills to control a real car and want to race to 60.

2010 Triumph Street Triple R, Q/Shifter & Arrows minus restrictors
Old 19-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #69
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by esppwr View Post
Anyone with "some" driving skills could not consider a supercharged Fwd white good v an xr6t, xr8 or SS for that matter.
My R8 is quick in a straight line. Its cornering doesn't come close to my RS250 or GTI before it. If I wanted the absolute quickest car point to point, it wouldn't be a Falcadore.
Old 19-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #70
esppwr

Didn't say the quickest, more like the most entertaining. Skate your R8 around the block v sprint to 60 in your Gti to take a hair pin, I know which I prefer

Old 19-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #71
esppwr

It would be a 911 turbo if I wanted the quickest car point to point that you could use everyday. But it's too clinical, any performance rwd car is fun, it doesn't have to be Aussie made although they are the best value. aka Amg c63 would be the pick of the bunch if it came in a manual and tc switched off completely.

Old 20-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #72
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Anyone with "some" driving skills could not consider a supercharged Fwd white good v an xr6t, xr8 or SS for that matter. The driving pleasure that comes with an LSD equipped rwd torque monster far outweighs any fwd/awd car. These fwd/awd cars are for people that haven't got the skills to control a real car and want to race to 60.

I haven't found many that can keep up with my FWD with LSD
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #73
zilo
BANNED

double post...LOL
Old 20-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #74
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
So what your saying people with a FWD car can't drive. Many lols.
Also because they have a front wheel drive they wanna race to 60. More lols. Yeah I so bought my ST because it's a drag car.
Don't apply your idea to everyone
3 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #75
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
A lsd equipped performance fwd will shock & suprise you. Go test drive a ST on anything but a straight road & be amazed!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
3 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #76
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of RWD but don't be scared of something different, the best drivers in the world are not the ones you see at Bathurst.. or at your local drifting comp.

Whilst the Aurion may struggle around a track, there are plenty of well setup FWD cars. Racing in Europe

Watch some clips of the British Touring car champs FWD cars.
let alone rally cars.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 20-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #77
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
For me driving code 2, if I had a choice between a falcodore and the Aurion, the Aurion would get the nod everytime. I have just had 4 falcons, compete in drag racing, skid pan days, track days, sprints, happy laps and completed advanced driver training in the commodore, falcon and the Aurion.

You have an opinion, but in the real world, your wrong. My stock focus would outhandle any of my falcons around the mountains any day of the week.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #78
NEEDspeed

Maybe the (B)Aurion would out-handle a lot of your boats, but I doubt a properly sorted suspension setup in any rwd sedan would still hose it. I'd hazard a guess that TRD MAY have just played with its setup to the minor extent that is needed to outperform our barges in stock form.

Someone meet me at Collie motorplex we'll see what happens with your Toyota Refrigerator...

Blueprint 2003 XR6. Forged internals 10.8cr engine.
Old 20-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #79
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Does the TRD get to have the same 'properly sorted suspension' or are you being unfair?
Old 20-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #80
adumb
FG G6ET

Old man had a standard V6 Aurion, was a great car, reliable plenty of power (200kw.) I thought it wasn't too bad around the bends either. I actually like the look of the TRD Aurion.
Old 20-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #81
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Didn't say the quickest, more like the most entertaining.
Lift-off oversteer or sliding the rear under brakes is more entertaining than power oversteer IMO, if only because it takes more skill to do it right.
Old 20-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #82
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
A lsd equipped performance fwd will shock & suprise you. Go test drive a ST on anything but a straight road & be amazed!

cheers, Maka
I dont think amazing would be the word, I very much doubt the ST would impress me through the twisties and it doesn't have enough grunt on the straights.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
Old 20-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #83
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
You've never driven one so why bother posting?
Because it's a forum. And oppinions are expressed.
Like it or lump it.
Old 21-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #84
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7 View Post
Because it's a forum. And oppinions are expressed.
Like it or lump it.
Or laugh at it?
Old 21-08-2014, 01:42 AM   #85
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Or laugh at it?
If only people knew what this guy drives

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-08-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Old 21-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #86
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
I dont think amazing would be the word, I very much doubt the ST would impress me through the twisties and it doesn't have enough grunt on the straights.
Well you must own a v8 supercar for a daily then!

Its is amazing how understeer & torque steer are held in check by modern fwd hot hatch tech compared to earlier models of the same genre, turn in (lift off over steer) & power down compared to rwd is in a different class & on a mountain pass faster. I would love to thrash a ST on the Stelvio Pass!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 21-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #87
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Well you must own a v8 supercar for a daily then!
No my cars are in my sig not hiding anything, I know the ST cant match my car on straights or in corners, it therefore wouldn't amaze me. Each to their own and it takes nothing away from the joy your ST gives to you.

The only reason I was really posting in this thread was to sing the praises of the engine in the TRD which is 90% the same as the engine in my car. It really is a nice motor.

Current Rides
Old 21-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #88
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
It might not. But not everyone wants what you like. Same as I don't want a big boofy sedan that rolls around a cover. But I can accept everyone has different tastes in cars otherwise the world would be a boring place
Old 21-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #89
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
It might not. But not everyone wants what you like. Same as I don't want a big boofy sedan that rolls around a cover.
Never suggested people have to like what I like, just that the cornering prowess of the ST wouldn't impress me.

What big boofy sedan that rolls around the corner is it that you're talking about?

Current Rides

Last edited by SensationFG8; 21-08-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 21-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #90
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know the ST cant match my car on straights or in corners, it therefore wouldn't amaze me.
The ST would likely have a higher mid-corner speed...

The VF ute is 20sec/lap slower than an RS250 around the Ring, despite the last minute of that lap being pretty much a straight line, and giving away an awful lot of power. I think you'd be surprised how quick FWDs can be.
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread