Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2008, 10:51 PM   #61
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Good on Holden to have the balls to do it .... very risky and looks like they will pull it off. Best thing to come out of this will be FORDS counterpunch (PLEASE Ford ) Here hoping!

Opinions of this car will come think and fast and for all various reasons ...... one being 'Its a Holden'. I go on the side which has a saying that includes polishing turds. If some dont agree with your opinion, or reasons behind it, doesnt make others wrong!

Yep, dont like it because of what it is, not caring how great it may be. Would love to drive one but never would I own one. Its a Holden! Because of that fact, I will not be told to like it because I should? I will only respect what they have had the guts to do and force the oppostion to get off there bum!

Cant wait to see the first VT with a W427 plastic bits applied with cable ties.
Fair enough. I never said anyone was wrong.

I see faces. You may see a vase. That doesn't make you wrong.

That said, I think you're vastly cheating yourself of a huge amount. My last car was a Holden, now it's a Ford. It doesn't bother me at all. I would personally choose the better car, regardless of its badge.

Yeah, that's right. I would quite happily buy the better car, without any prejudice. I think it's stupid to identify with Holden/Ford and let the name dictate your choices. They couldn't care less about you, yet you'd be willing to accept a suboptimal choice out of this one sided loyalty.

I know not everyone feels this way, but no-one has to. I just think that view is ridiculous. There are much better things to identify with, than a car manufacturer.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 11:41 PM   #62
antoni
FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounak
My last car was a Holden, now it's a Ford. It doesn't bother me at all. I would personally choose the better car, regardless of its badge.

Yeah, that's right. I would quite happily buy the better car, without any prejudice. I think it's stupid to identify with Holden/Ford and let the name dictate your choices. They couldn't care less about you, yet you'd be willing to accept a suboptimal choice out of this one sided loyalty.

I know not everyone feels this way, but no-one has to. I just think that view is ridiculous. There are much better things to identify with, than a car manufacturer.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I also have had both Holdens and Fords. I always buy the better car, and as of the last 5-6 years that has been the Fords.

The W427 should be able to do better times than those claimed or proven though. I think the main problem for it is its tyres and their lack of traction. It is a great car but I can't see the justification of the price they are asking.

As I understand it's a matter of unqualified production line staff though. HSV has their engines fitted at the Holden factory and because of the unique nature of the 427 engine (dry sump lubrication?) all W427s started life with HSV's standard LS engine, so the 7 litre is on top of a standard fully setup car.

Sadly I also believe the bulk of these will never see the light of day, locked away in storage to depreciate and then maybe go up in value in 20-30 years and that all depends on whether or not you can even get petrol to run the car.

IMHO if you can afford $155,000 then you can afford another $25,000 and get yourself a true supercar basher in the Nissan Skyline GTR. At least that's what I'd get if I had that kind of money.
antoni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #63
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau

Yep, dont like it because of what it is, not caring how great it may be. Would love to drive one but never would I own one. Its a Holden! Because of that fact, I will not be told to like it because I should? I will only respect what they have had the guts to do and force the oppostion to get off there bum!
"There are none so blind as those who will not see" is a phrase that comes to mind.
Attitudes like this amuse me. Why somebody would have such a strong loyalty towards a multinational company whose only concern is their bottom line strikes me as bizzare.
Do you think Ford cares as much about you as you do about them? They probably wouldn't even lift a finger to help you if you were lying in the gutter dying!
I personally buy cars on their merits, rather than the badge on the bonnet. I have owned Fords, Holdens, Euro, Japanese, you name it.

Brand loyalty is for BOGANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounak
That said, I think you're vastly cheating yourself of a huge amount. My last car was a Holden, now it's a Ford. It doesn't bother me at all. I would personally choose the better car, regardless of its badge.

Well said!
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 12:19 AM   #64
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
"There are none so blind as those who will not see" is a phrase that comes to mind.
Attitudes like this amuse me. Why somebody would have such a strong loyalty towards a multinational company whose only concern is their bottom line strikes me as bizzare.
Do you think Ford cares as much about you as you do about them? They probably wouldn't even lift a finger to help you if you were lying in the gutter dying!
I personally buy cars on their merits, rather than the badge on the bonnet. I have owned Fords, Holdens, Euro, Japanese, you name it.

As a consumer, people are welcome to spend their money how they wish.
However, Auslandau still recognised that HSV have done a good job, but they have stated that they have no interest in owning one because the car is not one that they would want to spend their money on.

That is their right as a consumer.

Auslandau as a consumer doesn't like Holdens.
They doesn't mean they are particularly anti-Holden in every sense. They praised HSV for its forward-thinking...but their opinion is that it will always be a Holden, and therefore doesn't see the sense in spending $150,000+ on it.

I currently drive a VTII and while I think it's a great car, I have no desire to own a Holden in the future.

Why? Because I choose not to. Not because I have anything against Holden in particular.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 12:29 AM   #65
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpal
Forget the b series. The g series has changed that. The F6 is line ball, if not outselling the v8's
Thats just cause ford wants to see if they can get rid off the v8 rod barret said we want to know if people are attached to the power of the v8 or the v8 itself. hense why you have more performance in a turbo its a strategy/market research .

Last edited by snappy84; 24-07-2008 at 12:34 AM.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 12:30 AM   #66
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must prasie Holden for what they put together and released, and judging by the sales what they have pulled off. But how on earth can you call this a supercar? Just becuase it may be badder or better than any other Australian car produced, it doesnt even come close to supercar status. what about the hi po porsches, the Lambo's, the Pagani Zondas, the Veyrons, the F60's etc etc if a 4 door with a big motor and brakes is classed as a super car what do you call the others? The W427 in my eyes is a great performance 4 door sedan, but no way can be defined as a supercar.
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 02:13 AM   #67
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
The front half of the Lambo without the engine surely?
Yeah sorry... Wasn't thinking for a minute there!
Old 24-07-2008, 04:56 AM   #68
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default for sale

LS3 317kw need a home, their will be 427 of them.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 05:16 AM   #69
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

didn't some people pay 90 000+ for white GT's with blue stripes?

THere are only ever going to be 427 of them.
They celebrate a milestone for HSV and 20 years of Aussie motoring.
They go like a cut snake

THe price is a moot point imho. People are paying silly money for anything with a GT badge nowdays but are ready to cast off HSV for releasing this product.

hmmm 1970's GT vs W427....

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 08:13 AM   #70
WOLF
Track Red XY

mmm more cubes I want one of these! I don't care what they say, give it 18 months and as per tradition every commodore will have a 427....much cheaper then
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 08:22 AM   #71
BadMac
I still have both eyes

From the Wheelsmag Internet site

"Despite all expectations, the world’s most expensive Commodore is worth every dollar spent on it. And here’s why.

Yes, it goes hard. It isn’t just the raw performance figures either, although the 0-100km/h time of 4.7 seconds and a standing 400 metres in 12.8 we clocked make it Australia’s fastest production car. It’s the sheer animal magnetism of the engine, its ability to deliver an instant and devastating glut of acceleration on demand. There’s the torque you’d expect from all those cubic inches, but also an unholy ability to rev to 7000rpm and produce big power all the way."
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #72
da_ilks

Be interesting to see if anyone forks out the dollars for a tune in one of these after dropping $155k. I reckon there'd be a fair bit more in it power wise ;)
da_ilks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #73
Chopped
as in chopped

That 7ltr engine is already race proven, it'll rev to 7000rpm all day . It has been detuned since coming from the states (so there's more left in it).

Anyone who compares it to hot euros like the M3 and C63 are not really seeing the big picture. Why not question the value of the euros ?, after all they are both based on 4cyl platforms that are no bigger than a lancer and I reckon the W427 would at least match them performance wise.

A real Australian muscle car.

Limited edition.

This will be Holdens own GTHO.

(I think the "supecar" term may be in reference to the "V8 supecars", although the euro brands have been using the term before us, infact they came up with the whopper "4 door coupe"....)

rant over - What will Ford's/FPV's response be ?
Chopped is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #74
Plugg3r
Bogan w/ Wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
That 7ltr engine is already race proven, it'll rev to 7000rpm all day . It has been detuned since coming from the states (so there's more left in it).

Anyone who compares it to hot euros like the M3 and C63 are not really seeing the big picture. Why not question the value of the euros ?, after all they are both based on 4cyl platforms that are no bigger than a lancer and I reckon the W427 would at least match them performance wise.

Limited edition.

(I think the "supecar" term may be in reference to the "V8 supecars", although the euro brands have been using the term before us, infact they came up with the whopper "4 door coupe"....)

Well Ford were animate they ain't going to TRY to compete against it.

The GTHO is supposed to only be a 5.8L so compared to a 7.0L it looks a long shot.
Old 24-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #75
H4ZE
Cannonballin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plugg3r
Well Ford were animate they ain't going to TRY to compete against it.

The GTHO is supposed to only be a 5.8L so compared to a 7.0L it looks a long shot.
Dammit- I was looking forward to experiencing a Supercar Scare!
Sold: 1991 LTD
H4ZE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #76
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Limited edition.

I agree. I am going down to Holden this arvo to have a chat about trade ins, repayment amounts, on the road costs etc for one. I would much prefer to own a gtho, but, well, never mind. Get off your bum Ford!

The bigger decision is balancing it against a gtr nissan or the bmw/merc.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #77
T-Pak Addict
Jim

it kinda gives me a giigle when I see this and amazed at the same time.. We have come full circle.... Remember the big 351 V8 of old on the mountain being beaten by a 6 cyl..... which was then toted as being the fastest 4 door production car in the world.

My Question is Ford going to pull the same trick that holden did to ford back in the 70's??? makes you wonder. with the Turbo 6 pulling pretty high number able to outgun this new kid on the block in a lighter, better handling body????

and who says history never repeats..............................

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #78
Sprint347
Tickford

I'd personally take the brand new V8 BMW M3 for that sort of money... but good on them for building something that'll make history, unlike Ford's attempts of the last 30 odd years...
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #79
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
As a consumer, people are welcome to spend their money how they wish.
However, Auslandau still recognised that HSV have done a good job, but they have stated that they have no interest in owning one because the car is not one that they would want to spend their money on.

That is their right as a consumer.

Auslandau as a consumer doesn't like Holdens.
They doesn't mean they are particularly anti-Holden in every sense. They praised HSV for its forward-thinking...but their opinion is that it will always be a Holden, and therefore doesn't see the sense in spending $150,000+ on it.

I currently drive a VTII and while I think it's a great car, I have no desire to own a Holden in the future.

Why? Because I choose not to. Not because I have anything against Holden in particular.
You are correct! 4 gold stars ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
You nearly have it right ....... but would replace a few select words with "Holdens .... "

Yes I will absolutley admit I have a brand loyalty to Fords. But if what they offer is not what I want, luckily as a consumer I can buy umpteen other brands before I HAVE TO buy a Holden.

Why do I have to be politically correct in regards to what I like and what I PERCIEVE as not for me? Because its faster than anything else on the road produced by an Aust manufacturer? The media will love it for 2 reasons, first its a Holden and second because it is probably a great car to drive. Its great that this was produced and I applaud them in doing so, just dont tell me to like it. For the money, no hope in hell would I pay that much for what it is ....... so much more out there for that price that would suit ME better. Good on those that do buy one and I am sure they will enjoy it.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #80
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
They don't have a response...

yet...
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #81
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Thumbs up to HSV for giving their fans something to get excited about

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

2024 Subaru Outback Touring XT

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #82
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would really love to see Ford make some sort of Hi po GT, doesnt have to hold the HO name (probably a good idea to leave it alone and let it RIP) all it needs is the blown 5.4 from the Shelby in a limited run of 500 or so. Without carrying the HO name it wont spark contraversy over it being blown and it wont have to live up to huge expectations, just needs to be good enough to take out the W427. With the 400KW the blown 5.4 makes it should leave the W427 in its rear vision mirror. OR they could take an F6, wick up the boost a bit and get some fatter rears and you'll have a much cheaper sedan which would probably beat the W427. The F6 idea would be alot easier but if you do this FPV please dont leave the 245's on the rear!
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #83
Carby

Is this the boom before the bust? F6, GT, R8 GTS and now W427 all under 14 sec. cars (under 13 sec for the W427) all great handlers with good brakes and you can drive them as everyday practical drivers - how long can this last?, we really are spoilt for choice - I love it!
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #84
YOOT
Banned

Based on a resale of Most Holden Commodores of 50% after three years in 2011 they will be worth $75K, and will get spanked by a boosted F6

I couldn't think of anything worse to waste $500 a week on (depreciation). Surely an M3 would be a better buy.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #85
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Like i said it could be done.... but the demographic for a hot V8 is slightly different to that of the T6...
IMO there isnt anywhere near the amount of buyers with 155K to spend on a special T6 as there is on a N/A hot V8....

Its already well proven with FPV sales going 2:1 V8 to I6T...
Never let reality get in the way of a good story.

FPV B series V8 (actual general availablity) April 2003 to April 2008 (60 months)
FPV B series T6 (actual general availability) May 2005 to April 2008 (35 months)

But this is statistics and statisticly 1 + 1 = 3 except when it equals 1.76.

But I do agree that there is more emotion than logic in the V8 market than T6 because I am fairly sure the 300 GT40s and 400 Cobras were sold on the basis of heritage, genre and ethos rather than outright performance.

The W427 and for that matter any new GTHO will sell to those who want to own a raw powerful imposing muscle car that they can drive about in the cities, show off to their mates and occaisionally have a bit of a spurt at the lights or on a drag strip.

Vehicles of this value and class are about lifestyle not practicality. If anyone ever askes why you bought a W427, GTHO or even a GTS or GT you will be the same boat as those who buy Harley Davidsons, the odds are they will not understand the answer......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #86
da_ilks

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
Based on a resale of Most Holden Commodores of 50% after three years in 2011 they will be worth $75K, and will get spanked by a boosted F6

I couldn't think of anything worse to waste $500 a week on (depreciation). Surely an M3 would be a better buy.
So on that basis you'd ignore buying a similar product if Ford made one, cause god knows the Falcon's resale is nothing to hold your hat on? BTW, for all the muppets who keep saying a modded F6 would beat this thing, big deal. A VE R8 with a TT kit installed would probably smoke it as well but that's not the point of the exercise.

Wouldn't understand indeed.
da_ilks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #87
Wally
XP Coupe

http://www.hsv.com.au/w427/

the "multimedia" option reveals the interior, which I must say I don't mind.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #88
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
http://www.hsv.com.au/w427/

the "multimedia" option reveals the interior, which I must say I don't mind.
This will help you wally http://colorvisiontesting.com/
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #89
Wally
XP Coupe

What? All I see are a load of grey dots.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #90
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Walrus427 looks horrendous.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post