Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #61
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the bigger Question will be "will the GTR actually make it to the streets?"

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #62
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
I think the bigger Question will be "will the GTR actually make it to the streets?"
The question Nissan Australia are asking is will anybody pay 200k for a Nissan. The 100 R32's they sold here took forever to sell, and I think they were around 100k even back then.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #63
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The question Nissan Australia are asking is will anybody pay 200k for a Nissan. The 100 R32's they sold here took forever to sell, and I think they were around 100k even back then.
I doubt it will be $200k. You might as well buy a Porsche for the extra. I'd say $100-150k max to make it somewhat competitive for price.

What ever is the final pricing it would have to undercut Porsche in a big way for any other market outside of Japan.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #64
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
if you mean the R33 GTR it actually wasn't at all stock, it had more boost, the rev limiter taken off, suspension mods and others as well.
...and had semi-slicks instead of normal tyres.
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #65
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I doubt it will be $200k. You might as well buy a Porsche for the extra. I'd say $100-150k max to make it somewhat competitive for price.

What ever is the final pricing it would have to undercut Porsche in a big way for any other market outside of Japan.
there are 3 versions to be released of the GTR, the top of the range EVO one is said to cost around the 200k mark. It's competitor is the 911 Turbo at 300k.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #66
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The R32 and R33 were all imports, Nissan Australia never bought them into the country, it was individual Dealers that brought them into the country.
Just as Ford Australia never bought in the Seirra, it was the Individual franchise dealers that made them available in Australia.
Old 27-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #67
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY

Thats what the Nissan Australia boss said. The new GTR is at a whole new level compared to the R32-34. Its no longer a hotted up Skyline, its a ground up supercar designed to take on Porsches. I don't think it will be any cheaper than 180k, 911 Turbo performance for a cheaper price than a base 911 Carrera.
Old 27-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #68
Humbug
Starter Motor

There is a bit of speculative pricing info and some ideas as to the different specs of the new GTR at this site - there is a video in there somewhere of the GTR testing at the Nurburgring with a Porsche 911 turbo as well.

http://www.carupdate.com.au/302/2008...e-gtr-pricing/

I owned an R33 GTR for five years and it was the best car I've ever driven. They are extraordinary and no FPV or HSV will ever be hardcore enough to compete on an all-round performance basis but then they are not designed to compete with the GTR.

Give me a Clubsport or GT (with the ZF 6-speed) for most day to day or interstate driving. Far more relaxed and more than competent as a performance 'saloon'. We should be proud of the Aussie product as it is very good these days.
Humbug is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 12:40 AM   #69
metalmania

Who cares about those jap crap cars. This is a FORD site so talk about FORDS.Enough of that GTR ****.
metalmania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 12:44 AM   #70
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Falcon and Commodore are designed almost exclusively for the Australian market while the Skyline will be a lot more worldwide and therefore the catchment for it is greater.

They are built for different demographics and meet different purposes. The Skyline may be nice, but it's just not for me.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 12:47 AM   #71
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmania
Who cares about those jap crap cars. This is a FORD site so talk about FORDS.Enough of that GTR ****.
Japanese cars are not crap. They are probably better than your Ford or Holden in terms of reliability and quality.

The thread is open to discuss. Let people discuss what they wish.
Old 28-05-2007, 12:49 AM   #72
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

nothing from the ford aus camp is a direct competitor to the GTR. seriously people the GT is a grand tourer not a circuit fairy

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 07:46 AM   #73
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmania
So go and start a topic about Fords then, I am sure whatever you would start has already been discussed at some point.

Don't like the thread then don't bother clicking on it.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #74
da_ilks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
The R32 and R33 were all imports, Nissan Australia never bought them into the country, it was individual Dealers that brought them into the country.
Just as Ford Australia never bought in the Seirra, it was the Individual franchise dealers that made them available in Australia.
Are you sure about that? Dealers can't just bring a car into the country and sell it new without ADR's been met etc. Not to mention you have to have the spare parts network setup etc. 100 R32 GTR's were brought in, brand new for around $100k. I am 99% sure it was an official Nissan thing

Since then, no Skyline has been officially imported into Australia, and most R32's sold nowdays are Jap imports. The official 'Australian' ones go for much more then your $15k Jap jobby.

Oh - and no, HSV/FPV will do nothing to match the Skyline. Different markets and demographics (not to mention $$$$)
da_ilks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #75
RS500
RB 25 TURBO USER

the 32 GTr's were officially sold here in Australia (Mr Skaife still owns his Australian Delivered one) by nissan.

the Sierra's were all private imports just sold through some dealers, it would be the same if the new mustang was sold through dealers, they would have to bring them in themselves and sell them as "used" vehicles as only cars that have gone through SEVS and gone through official compliance through a company are considered new vehicles.

as Da Ilks said teh Australian Delivered GTR's are worth alot more than imported ones.
RS500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #76
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_ilks
Are you sure about that? Dealers can't just bring a car into the country and sell it new without ADR's been met etc. Not to mention you have to have the spare parts network setup etc. 100 R32 GTR's were brought in, brand new for around $100k. I am 99% sure it was an official Nissan thing

Since then, no Skyline has been officially imported into Australia, and most R32's sold nowdays are Jap imports. The official 'Australian' ones go for much more then your $15k Jap jobby.

Oh - and no, HSV/FPV will do nothing to match the Skyline. Different markets and demographics (not to mention $$$$)
Thats what I thought, they were genuine Nissan Australia sales, they were not imports.
Old 29-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #77
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:

I stand corrected, In June of 1991 There were in fact approx 100 actually delivered by nissan Australia.

But as for Dealers bring in private imports there is some kind of limited number "special intrest" car thing they can use and have them complicaned plated as such.
Old 29-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #78
Steffo
LPG > You

This thread is very pointless.... FPV and HSV do not make cars that are in the same genre as the upcoming Nissan GT-R.

The two top (and by top I mean fastest) models are the FPV F6 Typhoon and HSV GTS 307. And they're direct competitors.

And their international competition would go as follows...

Audi S6
BMW M5
Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG
Jaguar S-Type R
Cadillac CTS-V

etc etc.

GT-R is for the first time being seperated from the family car it was based on and will NOT wear a Skyline badge. The Nissan GT-R will be a stand-alone sports car, so it has zero relevance to HSV and FPV. Even if it were a sports sedan, different market, different buyers. So again, they couldn't give a toss about it.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #79
Ridin-High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
This thread is very pointless.... FPV and HSV do not make cars that are in the same genre as the upcoming Nissan GT-R.

The two top (and by top I mean fastest) models are the FPV F6 Typhoon and HSV GTS 307. And they're direct competitors.

Audi S6
BMW M5
Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG
Jaguar S-Type R
Cadillac CTS-V

etc etc.

GT-R is for the first time being seperated from the family car it was based on and will NOT wear a Skyline badge. The Nissan GT-R will be a stand-alone sports car, so it has zero relevance to HSV and FPV. Even if it were a sports sedan, different market, different buyers. So again, they couldn't give a toss about it.

nice work on saying what somewat 70 other posts in this thread have said

Ps. Yes i have used the search button mum....
Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 06:47 PM   #80
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They will wont- But they possibly will. But they possibly don't. Maybe.
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #81
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its simple. they will do nothing as these car are in completely different markets
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 07:24 PM   #82
dtp

Quote:

Audi S6
BMW M5
Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG
Jaguar S-Type R
Cadillac CTS-V

etc etc.

HSV and FPV have no chance to compete with M5 and AMG E55 :

HSV's competitor is FPV;
FPV's competiror is HSV.
END.

2020 Mustang GT fastback
Magnetic, 10 sp automatic
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 09:05 PM   #83
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp
HSV and FPV have no chance to compete with M5 and AMG E55 :

HSV's competitor is FPV;
FPV's competiror is HSV.
END.
They all run 12's. They're all, with good drivers, in the 4's to 100km/h. They all handle similarly, are similarly comfortable and use a similar amount of fuel. They're all similar size. Yep, that makes them competitors.

:
Old 29-05-2007, 09:09 PM   #84
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They all run 12's. They're all, with good drivers, in the 4's to 100km/h. They all handle similarly, are similarly comfortable and use a similar amount of fuel. They're all similar size. Yep, that makes them competitors.
You don't honestly think that the sort of person who would buy an M5, would even consider a Commodore..... :
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #85
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

The new Godzilla is priced in Porsche territory the Falcon and Commodore are priced in well.....falcon and commodore territory.

Maybe if there was a 100k plus HSV and FPV they would be on equal footing such as if they built the 427 Monaro as far as I know the only Aussie car priced in that region was the 300kw GTS of few years back.

The new WRX and EVO is what FPV and HSV are competing with as they are the same formula: mass production vehicles souped upand priced for the average person but looking at the styling of the new REX and EVO they have nothing to worry about.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #86
da_ilks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
But as for Dealers bring in private imports there is some kind of limited number "special intrest" car thing they can use and have them complicaned plated as such.
I believe that's also been stopped since they changed the import laws to SEVS or whatever it's called. I know they could previously do it.
Old 29-05-2007, 10:49 PM   #87
dtp

Quote:
If you can't prove what you said, you seriously need some HELP!!

2020 Mustang GT fastback
Magnetic, 10 sp automatic
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 03:01 AM   #88
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
You don't honestly think that the sort of person who would buy an M5, would even consider a Commodore..... :
Actually, when the HSV GTS300 came out in 2000, with the 5.7litre 300kW 510Nm V8 at $95,000, people bought those instead of the $185,000 4.9litre 294kW 500Nm BMW M5. Which was actually a slower car.

People also bought the 300kW GTS300 Coupe instead of things like the CLK55 AMG and M3. No reason it won't happen again. Some wealthy people like home grown stuff, but were just dissappointed by the lacklusture products of the 80s and 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp
If you can't prove what you said, you seriously need some HELP!!
Ok? Go to a drag strip. Real life is proof of what I said.

:
Old 31-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #89
da_ilks

M5 and AMG handle much better then HSV or FPV offerings. Not to mention things like prestige, build quality etc.
Old 31-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #90
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
M5 and AMG handle much better then HSV or FPV offerings. Not to mention things like prestige, build quality etc.
How much do you pay for an M5 or AMG?