Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #61
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaFlash
so flappist you will be putting $10 in the kitty i take it?
I have made many thousands of dollars out of facebook.

Blocking access to it tends to increase productivity significantly.

I have also been asked to jam SMS in buildings and as soon as I can work out how to do it legally I will make $lots out of that too. (I can easily do it illegally, just need a few laws tweeked).
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #62
Cam
Stroking it...

Interesting thread.. I could blabber on for hours, but will try my best not too..

I am a facebook user, and like others have mentioned it is a good way to contact friends, I do still see these people but it is easier then calling people at 10pm at night when I finally get to sit down..Is received a lot nicer then a late night phone call asking if you want to come for beers on friday... On that note, are you using a phone to call people instead of going to see them? ZOMG it's technology! If you are going to see them, are you driving, or riding a horse? And so on..
As long as it's not used to excess I cant see a problem with it.. If people are using it to maintain friendships that's a different story, if it's being used to conveniently communicate for free, what is the problem??

The main reason I joined was so share pics of my 2 year old boy with friends and family, it's a lot easier then posting a USB key with pictures to 15 lots of people around the country.. oh.. a USB drive is technology too.. my bad...

Moral of the story, use technology to make your life easier...
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #63
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bookface.... my little sister is going for swimming lessons....
sink or swim i said..... sinks can i have her flash telly....
bookface is good........
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #64
rodderz

I can see it being a problem in later generations. Less kids are playing sport now, or even going outside for any length of time. The Olympics, Comm Games don;t get much of a rate these days. Our cricket depth isnt what it used to be, I've heard of cricket clubs have low numbers of juniors off a few mates.

Think how much kids scream and whinge if they can't access the computer/phone/games console.... years ago if they got banned from telly they'de go and ride a bike or something, or play with a ball outside.

Having said that though, us as parents are the ones buying them the technology for them to use...
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #65
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz

Having said that though, us as parents are the ones buying them the technology for them to use...
Rodderz for PM.. So SO true!

Next thread "Our Parenting skills huh?"
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #66
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

all my ratbag kids play sports (for clubs), but school holidays tend to bring out the laziness in my kids and they bloody sleep in till midday!

flappist, do you run your own KGB agency, jam sms' wtf.......
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #67
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaFlash
all my ratbag kids play sports (for clubs), but school holidays tend to bring out the laziness in my kids and they bloody sleep in till midday!

flappist, do you run your own KGB agency, jam sms' wtf.......
It may surprise you to learn that obnoxious twerps texting at work, during meetings, in restaurants, in church, in theaters, in cinemas and about a gazillion other places are seen as rude.

Jamming is just less intensive than plan B which tends to often involve damage, sometimes only to the phone.......
Old 28-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #68
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So many people so scared of technology. Reading threads like these makes you think there is a paedophile behind every keyboard and a Nigerian watching 400,000,000 hidden cameras trying to steal passwords.

Facebook is a tool. It can be used or misused. As long as you know what your doing, read the instructions, follow the security measures, set it up properly and only allow those you know to view or access your page then there is not a problem with it. Just like any other aspect of the internet.
It's also a hell of a lot cheaper then texting, easier than emailing and SO good at organising parties and events! It's also an amazing advertising/marketing tool and can make or break companies.

Use it or don't use it, you must respect it.

Last edited by Fev; 28-01-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #69
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Good post Fev, if your worried about employees then just block the site or hire new people.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #70
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Use it or don't use it, you must respect it.
I agree largely with your post, but why must we respect Facebook?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #71
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I agree largely with your post, but why must we respect Facebook?
Because it is the ultimate form of communication the all the "cool" people use.

Sort of like 27Mhz CB radio was in the 1970s......

The only difference is that "10-4 good buddy" has been replaced by "OMG LOL 11111eleventyone ROFL"..
Old 28-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #72
prydey
Rob

i find it a bit sad and a bit amusing that so many people now can't get by without these websites.

don't worry naish, you're not alone just yet.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #73
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
No you won't!!!! And I can guarantee that!!
I'm going as far as to say "if we need face book, twitter, iPhone freakin'4 or any other type of tech gear to organize our lives... get a life to organize"!!
I'd agree if the industry I worked in didn't rely so heavily on social media. It's changed our lives. It's here to stay. It's now up to us to figure out how we adapt this technology to suit us best... I can say that it has made my life so much better in some aspects. Of course, it sucks on many levels too.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #74
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
replaced by "OMG LOL 11111eleventyone ROFL"..

Flappist, I want to know what type of people you have been looking up on facebook. And by people I mean 12 year old girls.

Everyone on my facebook friends list are educated adults I know and no one has ever once come out with a random "OMGROLFAMOASL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 FaCeBooK iS cOoL"
If anyone over the age of 13 makes posts like that, then that is pretty sad.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #75
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i find it a bit sad and a bit amusing that so many people now can't get by without these websites.
You mean like when AFF went down and people were posting about their withdrawal?

I find that Facebook seems to be the huge technological breakthrough when there are so many awesome and complicated things out there that make Facebook look like a baby's toy.
Old 28-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #76
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Flappist, I want to know what type of people you have been looking up on facebook. And by people I mean 12 year old girls.
That is a disgraceful thing to post on a public forum!

And before you say it, my discust is in no way linked to our differences of opinion in the other thread.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #77
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73

Everyone on my facebook friends list are educated adults I know and no one has ever once come out with a random "OMGROLFAMOASL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 FaCeBooK iS cOoL"
If anyone over the age of 13 makes posts like that, then that is pretty sad.
Not everyone who was a CBer said 10-4 good buddy either, but they all thought CB was the ultimate in social networking at the time.

Some even got very upset when people who could dirve their cars and have conversations without using CBs dared suggest that CB was just a passing fad.
Strange hey....
Of course looking back most people now realise that CB was just a bit of an embarrassing joke and the rabid CBers now looked on in pity.

As I stated in the original post I make quite a bit of money securing commercial networks and the NUMBER ONE thing I am asked to do is block social networking as far too many "educated adults" cannot seem to function as "educated adults" while they have access to it.
Old 28-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #78
gtfpv
GT

facebook sucks . every now and then i get on there to see what , all my female friends , now 40's something mums and grandmas, whom i havent seen since i was 16 . kind of sandwich they are having for lunch, or how sad there dog was today .
then i give myself an uppercut ,and log off .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #79
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
You mean like when AFF went down and people were posting about their withdrawal?

is that a case in point?
Old 29-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #80
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Six months ago the (young) Chief Engineer on the ship I am Master on emailed me to ask if it was ok to email me his daily reports and such...
My reply was...."Should i receive one more email from you within the confines of this ship you will, at the earliest convenience, be looking for another berth"(job)....
Since then all our correspondence has been face to face or through the ships telephone system...........

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #81
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Six months ago the (young) Chief Engineer on the ship I am Master on emailed me to ask if it was ok to email me his daily reports and such...
My reply was...."Should i receive one more email from you within the confines of this ship you will, at the earliest convenience, be looking for another berth"(job)....
Since then all our correspondence has been face to face or through the ships telephone system...........
I'd have thought emails would be better in this situation then face to face as you at least have something solid you can look at.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #82
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deco28
I'd have thought emails would be better in this situation then face to face as you at least have something solid you can look at.
Not at all, how do i question an email and get an immediate response...?

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #83
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
is that a case in point?
There was a thread about it after russ got it back up and running.
Old 31-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #84
prydey
Rob

could you imagine the uproar if facebook crashed!!
Old 31-01-2011, 01:24 AM   #85
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:

Yeah I assume millions will twitter in disgust.
Old 31-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #86
dsyfer

Does everyone forget who makes these programs, people who like comunicating over the internet, Facebook and the like have been around in some form since I was on a 14.4k modem in 1994. It's just now that it's become acepted and popular, geeks and nerds normally uptake new technology 5-10 years before it becomes mainstream and popular, then they design something new and make another billion.

Ten years ago if you said you played around on the net, you were considered a 'geek' these days it's cool.

Technology is here to stay, no point figting it, otherwise you end up looking like one of those old guys in knee length socks with the first generation Nokia sticking out 2 feet from their belt in a leather phone holster, right next to their zippo pouch.
dsyfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #87
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
People would wander the streets in tears, shoving their party photos in people's faces and screaming "Do you like this? DO YOU???"

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #88
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsyfer
Technology is here to stay, no point figting it, otherwise you end up looking like one of those old guys in knee length socks with the first generation Nokia sticking out 2 feet from their belt in a leather phone holster, right next to their zippo pouch.
You mean weird or strange and completely out of touch with the "cool people"........like a facebook user in 2021?
Old 31-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #89
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsyfer
And what...This is a fashion faux pas??
Old 31-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #90
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Not as bad as those Trekkies who walk around with those Federation badges pinned to their shirts and a tricorder on their belts. I've seen a few, and it's a sad sight.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post