Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2006, 10:18 PM   #61
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
Some interesting attitudes around here.
I think people need to remember.. we don't live in Europe so why the hell do people kep on comparing our rules and attitudes to them ??
Agreed we don't live in Europe but if they can have an autobahn, then why can't we. I honestly have no idea how it works, or how safe it is, but if its still open, it can't be too bad. You only have to travel to somewhere like Thailand to see how driving attitudes are different(people actually let you in, never saw road rage anywhere)

There are better ways of doing things and yes i agree with fantz that driving standards are low. But bandaid solutions like introducing power to weight ratios in Victoria and the even more ridiculous one of limiting L & P platers here in NSW to 80kmh show just how intelligent our law makers aren't. I don't know what the solution is but these previous two aren't gonna change anything and from previous experience the latter does nothing but frustrate other drivers.

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2006, 10:57 PM   #62
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I've driven up Station St Box Hill going to work regularly, you would have to be insane to do 180km/h there, it is full-on trees, houses, side streets suburbia...

As for 250 on the Hume, the worst thing is no-one else on the road would be remotely contemplating a car approaching that fast (funny that when the limit is 110), which could cause dramas in a big way. It is only 2 lanes each way not 3 as mentioned above, and the section near Avenel involves a lot of hills and curves where you don't have the sight distances mentioned earlier. Running from the cops is always an intelligent move too...

Lucky there were human cops out there to catch these cretins not just speed cameras!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 06:26 AM   #63
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

180 on the hume i could've understood but 250 is pushing it especially over a 100km section they only way the cops got him to stop was with road spikes and they also backed off to 150 themselves as it was too dangerous(listening on the scanner), that guy doing 180 in a 60 zone is a complete jerk off he deserves everything he gets, don't get me wrong they both do just people find it easier to justify the 250 because it was on a freeway and on 1.5x the speed limit, the other one was suburbs and 3x the limit much easier to hit another car or pedestrian there. looks like their might be a cheap xr8 up for sale soon ;)
how peeved would the kids parents be in sydney having their car sold on them because their son is a spoondick
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #64
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladexr8
Ummm... they don't have a 180kph speed limiter. I won't say any more.
Okay, my mistake. I thought that the AU (AUII at least) had a limiting factor in its tailshaft that would cause possible failure if 180km/h was exceeded. Although, oddly, on the dyno my car won't go over 190 km/h because of a limiter.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #65
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

If you want to do Insane Speeds, do it on the track, or up in the Northern Territory where you are allowed to!
Old 04-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #66
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Okay, my mistake. I thought that the AU (AUII at least) had a limiting factor in its tailshaft that would cause possible failure if 180km/h was exceeded. Although, oddly, on the dyno my car won't go over 190 km/h because of a limiter.
I know the six forte, futura, and Fairmonts are limited to 180. Hope this clears some confusion.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:02 PM   #67
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbystang
on p plates i'm assuming.
speculation is a form of iggnorance
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 04:27 PM   #68
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
speculation is a form of iggnorance
No just assuming he is because it happened in Victoria, the driver was 20, and P platers are required to do 3 years in the state. The article didn't state if he was or not which is very unusual for a newspaper not to. Normally the headline would have read P-plater caught doing 250kmh etc.

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #69
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Interesting thread, it so happens I had a chance meeting with a young lad driving daddy’s supercharged Jag yesterday. True, the T3's body kit/rear wing does attract a fair amount of ****ers but this guy took the cake. I had this guy riding my ИИИИ and then backing off for 50m's only to accelerate right up my ring again.

The single lane road divided into two and I slipped into the right lane and pulled up at the lights. I couldn't see the lights on this Jag he was so close to the back of my car. Anyway lights go green and I accelerated briskly from the lights for 100m's or so with this Jag following closely. We were gaining on some slow traffic at the base of this hill and I slowed but this young lad thought bugger that ill just cross through a gap in the island onto the wrong side of the road and keep the Jag nailed. I estimate that his speed would have been 100kph+, the Jag suspension bottoms out at the base of the hill and then continues up the other side not knowing if there was any oncoming traffic.

Only at the crest of the hill was he able to cross back over into the correct lane, it was truly a miracle that another car wasn't coming the other way. Well it didn't stop there, he then pulled over and waited for me to come past and then peel out in front of me a couple of times. In the end I pulled over in a side street. My wife said did you get the plate number? : Absolutely insane driving, if there had been motorists coming the other way the impact would have been enormous.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #70
T250
Starter Motor

The guy that was caught doing 250Kph lives nearby and one of my employees knows him. This isn't a new thing for him...he changed the car badges to a lesser powered car so that he able to drive it under false pretenses.

Anyway he was making a video about his speeding...I guess that has come to an end.
T250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #71
Boss 330
miss my V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
...real head turner, attracts a lot of attention - car displayed on channel 2, 7, 9 & 10..

LOL...
Boss 330 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 06:09 AM   #72
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by T250
The guy that was caught doing 250Kph lives nearby and one of my employees knows him. This isn't a new thing for him...he changed the car badges to a lesser powered car so that he able to drive it under false pretenses.

Anyway he was making a video about his speeding...I guess that has come to an end.
when is it coming out, i can see the title... i got fkd on the hume "inspired by getaway in stockholm"
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #73
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by T250

The news report showed that it still had XR8 220 badges still on the bootlid.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #74
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The news report showed that it still had XR8 220 badges still on the bootlid.
That's a different incident, the one T250 is talking about was up North on the Hume in a BMW, the one you're talking about was in Box Hill in an AU XR8.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 10:33 PM   #75
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote: Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
Some interesting attitudes around here. I think people need to remember.. we don't live in Europe so why the hell do people kep on comparing our rules and attitudes to them ??

Because Europe has long term experience with managing high-speeds, as reflected in their road building and vehicle supply and 'required equipment' standards, something folk should think about before advocating higher freeway and intercity highway speed limits. Australia is simply too far behind in those requirements, but is catching up. See below. . .

Nobbystang wrote: Agreed, we don't live in Europe but if they can have an autobahn, then why can't we.
We can, and almost effectively do. A German autobahn lane width is 3.5 metres, the same as Australia and most of the world. The Autobahn emergency shoulder off the general communting lane is 2.0 - 3.0 metres wide, same as Australia, its overtaking lane width is 0.5 metres, same as Australia.

Differences, primary - Australia has NO continuous median barrier, mandatory in Germany EU etc.

NSW/AUS has U-Turn bays, NOT in Europe, a major safety issue in regards potential.

I honestly have no idea how it works, or how safe it is, but if its still open, it can't be too bad. You only have to travel to somewhere like Thailand to see how driving attitudes are different(people actually let you in, never saw road rage anywhere).

Take some time to view the GALLERIES at:
www.autobahn-online.de Click English, and you'll see some top road building efforts.

There are better ways of doing things and yes i agree with fantz that driving standards are low.

Improving (See my Sig weblink) - REM NSW/VIC start the intake of cadidate drivers for the National Driver Training Scheme this year for a 3-year timeframe, this is EU sourced (Sweden) and has a strong defensive driver emphasis. Results will be studied after that timeframe, if successful, will be adopted nationwide. One reason why you see the states doing changes to licensing now.

But bandaid solutions like introducing power to weight ratios in Victoria and the even more ridiculous one of limiting L & P platers here in NSW to 80kmh

L=80km/h, P1 reds at 90km/h, P2 greens at 100km/h.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #76
351ciofgrunt
Go Hard or Go Home

AU's dont have speed limiters....My dads AU II six cyl didnt have a speed limiter... i got it up to 195, still had some more go in it but i ran out of road, steered like a boat at that speed though....i was on a racetrack off course....we all only speed on racetracks hey! lol
351ciofgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #77
AMT
Come fly with P.S.I...

Cars are not the problem it's the people driving them who are the "Deathtraps"......
Old 06-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #78
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
L=80km/h, P1 reds at 90km/h, P2 greens at 100km/h.
Personally I think this is stupid, if the driver is not confident at driving at 100km/h (or the speed limit), have them practice on other roads and build up experience. Many country roads do not have overtaking opportunities let alone dedicated lanes, and the L plater doing 80km/h does not contribute to road safety, nor does having 20 cars on their tail help the L plater. Time and place for everything.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 08:51 PM   #79
xwchick
XW's in progress

Default Don’t you guys have potholes.....

Don’t you guys have potholes you could lose your house in,
Cow’s, pig’s, Possums or killer speed bumps…?
You would have to have a death wish :togo: to do that sort of speed here. (NZ)
We have a saying here…. There’s another temporary New Zealander…
The roads are shocking here.. I think that may be a form of speed limiting by gov….
But it still doesn’t stop those inconsiderate *%$#^(@! ’s from wrecking your day…
:
xwchick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post