Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #61
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: No offers? Firm? WTF?

Who cares i throw them an offer anyway lol.
Old 30-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #62
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

True but selling a T3 is not like selling a XR6. Seems you were not in a huge rush.

And regardless of the car I always go for a ride with the owner, actually I dont think I have ever let someone take one of my cars without me..not a hope in hell.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #63
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When ever I sell a car or bike I do not take offers, the price I want is the price I advertise it for and that's that, if you can not afford it or think it's too expensive don't bother me, as I don't really want to talk to you.

Don't send me SMS's or e mails either, if you don't call me I feel you are not really keen to buy anyway, again go and bother someone else, I don't want you any where near my car or myself for that matter.

If you want the car, give me a ring (it's not that hard, and if you can't afford credit on your phone to call me on my mobile you can't afford the car, so please don't bother me with emails or SMS's asking about something you are either not really keen on or can't afford)

Pretty much every single car or bike I have ever sold over the last 25 years (and there were a few) was bought by the first person to look at it. Some did try to negotiate, and even tried the old walking away trick, funny thing is every single one that tried that trick came back within a couple of hours and payed the advertised price

I am not selling my cars and arguing with ******* about price, had several turn up with mechanics and panel beaters, trying to bargain prices down as the car had some car park dings or worn brake pads, still no negotiation, and they still bought the car.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 30-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #64
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

This game of buying and selling is based on a lot of intimidation. The seller intimidates potential buyers he is not one to be messed with, and the buyer intimidates the seller by threatening to walk away with a cash deal he thinks is too good to refuse.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 30-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #65
superfly
Go the Hogster!

When I sold my WRX, I advertised it slightly higher knowing that the purchaser would want to bargain me down. But I still advertised it competitively (IMO).
Old 01-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #66
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
If I see "firm, no offers" on something I know is top dollar or overpriced then they are the tools you describe or at best a speculator or someone fishing for that "more money than sense" type buyer. Most buyers are pretty savvy and don't go for these ads.

However, if I see "firm, no offers" on an ad priced at the cheap end of the scale then that tells me they are a genuine seller who has advertised their bottom line price from the get go. They are going for a quick hassle free sale.

"I won't reply to e-mails" to me means the seller is sick to death of being contacted by Nigerians, ships engineers at sea (a well known scam) or any other scenario. If you're interested just pick up the phone and talk to the guy. Then you can arrange an exchange of e-mails after the seller is happy you're genuine.
Um, then don’t advertise on the internet?
Personally, I am much more cautious about giving out my phone number than my email.
The beauty of email is that they can reply at their convenience, they can send pictures, and even a standard data sheet, plus you have a record of questions asked and answered.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #67
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
When ever I sell a car or bike I do not take offers, the price I want is the price I advertise it for and that's that, if you can not afford it or think it's too expensive don't bother me, as I don't really want to talk to you.

Don't send me SMS's or e mails either, if you don't call me I feel you are not really keen to buy anyway, again go and bother someone else, I don't want you any where near my car or myself for that matter.

If you want the car, give me a ring (it's not that hard, and if you can't afford credit on your phone to call me on my mobile you can't afford the car, so please don't bother me with emails or SMS's asking about something you are either not really keen on or can't afford)

Pretty much every single car or bike I have ever sold over the last 25 years (and there were a few) was bought by the first person to look at it. Some did try to negotiate, and even tried the old walking away trick, funny thing is every single one that tried that trick came back within a couple of hours and payed the advertised price

I am not selling my cars and arguing with ******* about price, had several turn up with mechanics and panel beaters, trying to bargain prices down as the car had some car park dings or worn brake pads, still no negotiation, and they still bought the car.
trouble with that sort of attitude when selling is that buyers arent mind readers, and most buyers expect a price to be marked up for room to negotiate.
while firm might mean firm to you, theres many other cases where firm is only firm until the folding stuff gets flashed around, then the price is fair game, best negotiator gets the best deal.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #68
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I personally love negiotiating buying cars.

If it's a firm price, it gets the bells ringing, whats knackered with it. Same applies if it's below a fair market price.

By having that negiotiation part open, it allows you to have a price drop, for those little things you find wrong with a car that the owner may or may not have missed.

Fair enough, selling cars, you get your fair share of tyre kickers and knobheads. Same applies with selling anything. It's how the world goes round. I strike it when selling any of mine.

As for no emails, phone contact only. Scams are done both forms of contact. eg, ever had some person ring you offering you these fantastic deals, where you can have a free mobile phone, with certain conditions attached? It's basically the same as these emails you receive, just salightly different wording. You even get dreamers ringing you. So when ever I see these put in ads, I turn a blind eye to them.

End of the day, if people aren't willing to budge, they can suffer, hanging onto the car until they get someone willing to part with their hard earned.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 01-04-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #69
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i do not understand how a firm price or being negotiable is a major problem
it is the lies that are told about the condition of the car that wastes everyones time
Old 01-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #70
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
If it's a firm price, it gets the bells ringing, whats knackered with it. Same applies if it's below a fair market price.
What would be knackered is my tolerance for suffering fools. If I ever decide to go down the private sale route, and I may this time around as I'm (casually) weighing up a trade down from my F6 - I'd see how much trade I would be offered, whack a couple thou on top and advertise as firm. Would likely still be under what most are offering and don't care if some clown thinks waving cash in my face will get me salivating. If that were to happen, I'd actually up my price.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #71
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
What would be knackered is my tolerance for suffering fools. If I ever decide to go down the private sale route, and I may this time around as I'm (casually) weighing up a trade down from my F6 - I'd see how much trade I would be offered, whack a couple thou on top and advertise as firm. Would likely still be under what most are offering and don't care if some clown thinks waving cash in my face will get me salivating. If that were to happen, I'd actually up my price.
That's ok. So you would refuse an offer that's more than the offer for a trade because it doesn't meet your 'firm' price? It's about negotiation. Everyone has the right to set the price that they want but it depends on whether a seller is serious in selling. 'Firm' just doesn't give me the impression that the seller wants to sell in a hurry.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
Old 01-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #72
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
'Firm' just doesn't give me the impression that the seller wants to sell in a hurry.
well, you might miss out on some great buys then

what if a 2 cars are advertised for the same price - 1 is firm, 1 is negotiable. 1 is in great condition, 1 is in good condition. 1 owner knows what they have and isn't lying. 1 owner knows what they would like to have, so screwed around with the price

i would take the honest one every day of the week
Old 01-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #73
nstg8a

Seems to be a lot of sheer arrogance coming through, from both sides.

No wonder the private market is such a pain in the rear.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #74
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
well, you might miss out on some great buys then

what if a 2 cars are advertised for the same price - 1 is firm, 1 is negotiable. 1 is in great condition, 1 is in good condition. 1 owner knows what they have and isn't lying. 1 owner knows what they would like to have, so screwed around with the price

i would take the honest one every day of the week
I see your point, but the seller can still list the price that they want without the added 'firm' or 'no offers' tacked on the end. I'm just being honest in regards to the impression that it gives me about that person's style of selling.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #75
gtxb67

i don't think having firm in the add is the problem. maybe not having firm in the add when the seller is unwilling to drop is, but i had thought that most people would ask on the phone anyway

there is more than one way to set a price and advertise and both have merit. i personally would rather know the price they want and the condition it is in. negotiating does nothing for me. the potential wasted weekend looking at things that are advertising wrongly is a much bigger problem in my eyes
Old 01-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #76
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
That's ok. So you would refuse an offer that's more than the offer for a trade because it doesn't meet your 'firm' price? It's about negotiation. Everyone has the right to set the price that they want but it depends on whether a seller is serious in selling. 'Firm' just doesn't give me the impression that the seller wants to sell in a hurry.
If I list it as firm with my price and someone tries to wheel and deal me, they've negated the reason I put firm and have therefore wasted (what I consider to be...) my valuable time. Therefore, price goes up to compensate.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #77
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
If I list it as firm with my price and someone tries to wheel and deal me, they've negated the reason I put firm and have therefore wasted (what I consider to be...) my valuable time. Therefore, price goes up to compensate.
Fair enough
Old 01-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #78
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of talking the talk, I wonder how often there is walking the walk.

I want to buy a car, yours looks ok, I offer you what I want to pay:

1) You take the offer, I have the car, you have the money.
2) You refuse the offer, I buy another car, you still have yours and hope that someone gives you what you want while your rego slowly runs out, your RWC goes out of date and if you are still using it KMs go up and potentially damage happens.

Remember YOU ARE TRYING TO SELL YOUR CAR. It is not the same as someone just wandering up and offering to buy it.

Carsales/carpoint/classifieds are full of people who have vehicles for sale and refuse to accept any offers. You do not need to rush off and check because they tend to be there for a REALLY long time.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #79
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would much rather a legit offer (even if below what I will sell for) than a time waster that was never going to buy.

I think if you've got a problem with someone offering you less than what you are asking then you are going to struggle selling anything without getting hurt feelings
Old 01-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #80
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

2) You refuse the offer, I buy another car, you still have yours and hope that someone gives you what you want while your rego slowly runs out, your RWC goes out of date and if you are still using it KMs go up and potentially damage happens.

Remember YOU ARE TRYING TO SELL YOUR CAR. It is not the same as someone just wandering up and offering to buy it.

Carsales/carpoint/classifieds are full of people who have vehicles for sale and refuse to accept any offers. You do not need to rush off and check because they tend to be there for a REALLY long time.
best post in the whole thread.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #81
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
best post in the whole thread.
Agree, Flappist hit the nail on the head.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #82
T-Pak Addict
Jim

What peeves me off the most is them telling you porkies... I have rang several people with responses like its a great car yada yada yada roll up to have a look at this great car and its a heap of crap.... Just a complete waste of time for all concerned. Once, just once I would like people to be honest and describe the car as it is...

I dont mind people telling me this needs fixed or that, I expect that with any second hand car....

Couple years ago was looking for a car for the lad (something cheap) spotted an add for a EBII 5 speed sedan $1500... It was a $500 car all day long, oil leaks, dents, interior was dirty as hell.... I just told him I not going to even waste my time... Its a pig.

Bought the lad a AU S1 XCab for $700 from ebay and he's still driving it..... Its a pig to look at but he loves it. We have done a few things like replace the front end and a power steeering rack we bought off a wrecked car but it just goes and goes and goes... Mechanically its a gem... It will be a sad day if anything happens to it...

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
Old 01-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #83
LOW_NL
boo

if you won't take a little bit less than what you want to sell the car right now, than tuff luck and you can keep the car that might sit there for the next 3 to 6 months,

when buying privatley i personally always take cash with me, so if its what i want for a price i want to pay i will hand the caash over and drive away.

as said before i didn't ask you to sell your car, you have ask if someone wants to buy it, and if your really that arogant you TRY to put the price up if someone trys to throw you a offer, well good luck and have a nice day you can keep it.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #84
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Couldn't have said it any better.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #85
LOW_NL
boo

and how many time have you seen a add with a firm price, then a couple weeks later the price has been droped, i bet some of them have had seriuos offers and refused them and then regreted not takeing that offer later.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #86
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW_NL
as said before i didn't ask you to sell your car, you have ask if someone wants to buy it, and if your really that arogant you TRY to put the price up if someone trys to throw you a offer, well good luck and have a nice day you can keep it.
It's not about arrogance. Right up front I tell you what my bottom dollar is, if you're not prepared to pay it and on inspection you deem that I've priced it too high, no hard feelings - that would be fine by me. If you've come expecting to talk me down, you've wasted both our time.

I have principles and I also work hard. There's a pretty decent chance that, during the process of meeting you to sell my car, there's a 50/50 chance I'm forgoing my time doing my job in which I earn money.

Firm means firm. Plenty of cars out there that are marked firm and overpriced.. that's fine, don't waste your time or theirs inquiring about it if you intend to talk them down. Move on to the next one. Simple.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #87
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Currently my dad is trying to sell his near mint Mitsubishi Scorpion. He is the 3rd owner, and it is MINT. He has stated his is a Firm price.

Why? He is tired of people coming out to look at the car & beat him down to stupid amounts. This is a near perfect car, & deserves a bit more than what he is selling it for. Most of all, he is tired of the BS artists. Since he has stated firm on the ad (And Re-states it when they ring) there has been an exponential decrease of potental "buyers" (and I use that term loosely, like Kings Cross loose) coming out to look at the car.

This "Firm" attitude isnt as short sighted as it seems. You see that price, & immediately you are in the game or out. Sorts the buyers from the spyers straight away.

Back to my dad, it doesnt matter if he sells or not, he wants to sell it, but if it doesnt sell, well thats ok too. Just put it back where it came from, & start it once a month. No big deal. No rego, or ongoing costs.

Basically its like this.

You want the car, this is the price. Simple. Wave a smaller amount infront of me that is close to the asking price, and the idea of that offer will be entertained.

Why firm? I dont want you to waste my time. (Had PLENTY of those) I dont want to re-organise my day to suit you, then be late, or not turn up. And when you do, waste my time. I have things to do. However, show up & connect with me the right way, & offer a nice amount, we both walk away winners.

Some people want a Rolls Royce at a Corolla price. With everything they buy. Typically these are called Misers, cheapskates, snipe-snouts, penny pinchers, pikers, scrooges, skinflints or tightwads. Sure I negotiate when buying, but not always if I think its a fair price. But I always get items at the price I want.

Some people need to buck up & learn that sometimes a bargain cant be had & YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Thats not so bad. Better than paying more than what its worth.

Man up, & learn how to negotiate, or man up & move on........
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #88
LOW_NL
boo

Quote:
It's not about arrogance. Right up front I tell you what my bottom dollar is, if you're not prepared to pay it and on inspection you deem that I've priced it too high, no hard feelings - that would be fine by me. If you've come expecting to talk me down, you've wasted both our time.

I have principles and I also work hard. There's a pretty decent chance that, during the process of meeting you to sell my car, there's a 50/50 chance I'm forgoing my time doing my job in which I earn money.

Firm means firm. Plenty of cars out there that are marked firm and overpriced.. that's fine, don't waste your time or theirs inquiring about it if you intend to talk them down. Move on to the next one. Simple.

i was in no way calling you arrogant, i was more pointing out a earlier coment on how you said you would put the price up if a offer was thrown around ( not your exact words lol ).

many times i have thrown a offer at the seller an sometimes they take it an sometimes they don't but that does not make me a time waster as many of times when they have not taken it i have still paid the asking price becuase it was worth the money and becuase it was what i wanted.

i too work hard for my money so therfore i am not goin to spend more than i have to, as i said before some buyers including myself take the cash with them an i never go to look at something if im not prepared to buy it, as long it is what has been described, what i want, for a price i want to pay.

as i said mate i was not calling you a arrogant person im sure your a top bloke, so im sorry if it came across that way.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #89
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum
Currently my dad is trying to sell his near mint Mitsubishi Scorpion. He is the 3rd owner, and it is MINT. He has stated his is a Firm price.

Why? He is tired of people coming out to look at the car & beat him down to stupid amounts. This is a near perfect car, & deserves a bit more than what he is selling it for. Most of all, he is tired of the BS artists. Since he has stated firm on the ad (And Re-states it when they ring) there has been an exponential decrease of potental "buyers" (and I use that term loosely, like Kings Cross loose) coming out to look at the car.

This "Firm" attitude isnt as short sighted as it seems. You see that price, & immediately you are in the game or out. Sorts the buyers from the spyers straight away.

Back to my dad, it doesnt matter if he sells or not, he wants to sell it, but if it doesnt sell, well thats ok too. Just put it back where it came from, & start it once a month. No big deal. No rego, or ongoing costs.

Basically its like this.

You want the car, this is the price. Simple. Wave a smaller amount infront of me that is close to the asking price, and the idea of that offer will be entertained.

Why firm? I dont want you to waste my time. (Had PLENTY of those) I dont want to re-organise my day to suit you, then be late, or not turn up. And when you do, waste my time. I have things to do. However, show up & connect with me the right way, & offer a nice amount, we both walk away winners.

Some people want a Rolls Royce at a Corolla price. With everything they buy. Typically these are called Misers, cheapskates, snipe-snouts, penny pinchers, pikers, scrooges, skinflints or tightwads. Sure I negotiate when buying, but not always if I think its a fair price. But I always get items at the price I want.

Some people need to buck up & learn that sometimes a bargain cant be had & YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Thats not so bad. Better than paying more than what its worth.

Man up, & learn how to negotiate, or man up & move on........
you contradict yourself there... you say the price is firm, but then say if a decent offer is made it will be entertained...

thats exactly why people (like myself) dont pay a lot of attention to 'firm'.

if i go and look at a car thats advertised for 10k firm, and i think its worth 9.5, il offer what i think its worth. if the seller gets offended at that , ah well, i dont buy or sell cars to make friends. i do it to get me the best possible deal.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #90
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm I had my EF ghia up for 3.7k firm for months and kept getting offers for 3k constantly, it offended me so I just put it up for $4500 ended up selling it for $4200 lol.