Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #61
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Are they sure on them SS times that's very fast it's even quicker then the Y series 2 HSV's. It weighs more but it must just get the power down better and not waste it in wheel-spin. If holden has seen them times they must be pulling themselves with joy:P.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #62
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
What I'm saying basically, is that outright speed / 1/4 mile times arent the final word on performance.
You could work for FPV with that attitude.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #63
SB4
E-Series Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
lol

Quarter mile figures may not be the final word on performance, but they play a huge role IMO. I've hardly ever come across Wheels or Motor magazine Holden vs Ford comparos where the slower car wins the 'battle' and is rated the overall better car.
SB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #64
Sapper
Back to the AU

People get waaaaaay to worked up over the results of competitions like this. Though you guys aren't too bad though, must be a Holden driver thing... It wouldn't matter how much faster/better a V8 commodore would be than a I6 Falcon, i'd buy the falc. So i did! :hihi: I'd take my AU XR6 VCT over my mate's 350kW VX SS anyday. That said, these comps are great for finding raw performance data.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:45 PM   #65
dirt 01
Starter Motor

Would one of the reasons be for the great 0-100 speeds of the HSV especially be that they have wider rear tyres? Did I see the HSV's have 275's or something? That would explain a lot! Thats a huge tyre, and its a wonder we havnt seen such tyres on our Aussie GT's and HSV's alot sooner. They have been on everything else in the world. Its about time for 275's on a GT.
dirt 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #66
SB4
E-Series Member

Don't forget they are much lighter aswell!
SB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #67
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

u would take your au xr6t over a 350kw vx ss?
Do you feel ok?
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #68
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt 01
Would one of the reasons be for the great 0-100 speeds of the HSV especially be that they have wider rear tyres? Did I see the HSV's have 275's or something? That would explain a lot! Thats a huge tyre, and its a wonder we havnt seen such tyres on our Aussie GT's and HSV's alot sooner. They have been on everything else in the world. Its about time for 275's on a GT.
You forgot the DJ car had 275's i believe on the rear.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #69
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

Which Holden dealer can i get the 11 second Turbo VE SSV from?
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:26 AM   #70
Boss 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATXR8
Which Holden dealer can i get the 11 second Turbo VE SSV from?
lol classic mate...its no point in talking about modded up cars
Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:51 AM   #71
gtfpv
GT

to think all they did to the engine was bore it out 1mm bigger per cyl. which took it to 6 litres and fixed up the bottom end torque issues . it also raised the compression . and a few calibration tunes + standard try y extractors some intake mods , and walla. now if the boss 260/290 was bored out 1mm . anyhow , gotta say if the ss keeps up with an f6 for 10g's less im for it . simply because its an 8. also i have seen them both in the flesh HSV/ SS and the SS looks better. i really need to drive an f6 and a SS cause i just cant believe they can be so much more than my 290 BOSS 6 SP MAN . my wife simply will not let me put my foot down in it , it is on 1/2 throttle like my xr8 EL 5 sp man was on flat stick. in 3rd at 115km/hr it simply lifts the front end up, so i just find it hard to understand how these cars f6/ss can be so much faster, when a ba XR8 has nothing on GT . PERFORMANCE WISE . YET THE MAGS TELL A DIFFERANT STORY . i'll have to drive these things .bet i have a better chance at driving a ss commadore for a potential trade. ( just kidding) then i do at driving an f6 without begging a fords dealer that i'm worthy.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:59 AM   #72
Boss 290

theres not much in it with the cars gt and ss .3 of a second..depends on the car and driver. i have heard of a ba gt doing 13.5 but that is the quickest time. the average i have heard has been 13.8 but sadly mags seem to be gettin low 14s which is a joke....in saying that we have heard of typhoons doing 13s flat so you just cant go on magazine times
Old 06-10-2006, 01:02 AM   #73
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 290
theres not much in it with the cars gt and ss .3 of a second..depends on the car and driver. i have heard of a ba gt doing 13.5 but that is the quickest time. the average i have heard has been 13.8 but sadly mags seem to be gettin low 14s which is a joke....in saying that we have heard of typhoons doing 13s flat so you just cant go on magazine times
that seems about right to me . anything in the 12's stock is pretty much amazingly fast and expensive .
Old 06-10-2006, 01:06 AM   #74
gtfpv
GT

by the way . happy birthday boss 290.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:29 AM   #75
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

Hang on... Wheels did a road teat on the current BF and new VE all manual.

Out of the new VE SS and SSV and the BF XR6T and XR8 the XR6 Turbo was the quickest, SS came second then XR8 and SSV is slowest. What i can't work out is the SS and SSV has the same power, weight, ratio and item etc, that ss is 1 second quicker then the SSV??? :

*Sorry i didn't post time as i don't remember exact time*

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:36 AM   #76
Boss 290

thanks gtfpv...as for the times in the wheels magazine it is a mis print it was only .2 seconds slower or something but i know the xr8 would have been last place
Old 06-10-2006, 02:14 AM   #77
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAFIA
Hang on... Wheels did a road teat on the current BF and new VE all manual.

Out of the new VE SS and SSV and the BF XR6T and XR8 the XR6 Turbo was the quickest, SS came second then XR8 and SSV is slowest. What i can't work out is the SS and SSV has the same power, weight, ratio and item etc, that ss is 1 second quicker then the SSV??? :

*Sorry i didn't post time as i don't remember exact time*
Don't you mean motor mag? They did a test of them 4 cars.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #78
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

remember one thing:
You may have seen stock quicker phoon times but think;
Same driver, same day, same tests - the SS was quicker. That means the SS is exactly that. You have seen phoons quicker but if you gave the SS a run at the same time you saw these phoons go quicker, then logic says the SS will go quicker still.
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #79
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
All I ask is a fuel card, GT-P in blue, and a comfy chair.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #80
mcnews
Trev

If I had to HAVE a V8 the new 6-litre Commonwhore is the only one I would consider.

But I don't have a phallus size issue and thus a six will do me fine and thus the F6 it is.

They should include utes in the BFYB... Tornado is a fair bit cheaper than Typhoon....
Old 06-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #81
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am going to make sure I pick up a copy from the news stalls tomorrow and have a read.

Congrats to the VE SS (akaSV8) for the win. Personally, I think they are outstanding times set by a stock 45k family sedan.

But there are a couple things that continually erk me about manufacturer claims, I cannot understand how an VE SS, some 120 kg heavier with only 10more kw crack a low 5? When the outgoing model wouldn;t see a 5?

AND TO YOU MORONS AT MOTOR, although I agree testing same car, same day, same track is the only way to do it, you have a manual pitted against a auto? What's doing there? If the Typhoon was a manual, it would have been possibly another second faster on the track, maybe more................but who know what down the quarter.

I know, I own a manual BF and I can tell you, shes a bugger to launch fast. There is the finest line between nailing one and $50.

And if you ask whats $50, its what you just spent smokin' your tyres
Old 06-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #82
dirt 01
Starter Motor

Its so much faster simply cos of the big tyres. They dont spin, and instead grip and so the power can be used. You cant use the full power of fast cars unless the tyres grip. Simple really. No big deal at all.
dirt 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #83
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt 01
Its so much faster simply cos of the big tyres. They dont spin, and instead grip and so the power can be used. You cant use the full power of fast cars unless the tyres grip. Simple really. No big deal at all.
No it's more then that come-on Tyres are only 245's VZ HSV size If they were using 275's i would agree. It's more to do with a real IRS getting power and holding it down like a good obedient dog.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:17 PM   #84
xfalconz

Those 0-100 figures are close between SS and Typhoon .2 of a second is bugger all.
Maybe the HSV will crack into the high 4 seconds.
Magazine 0-100 times dont count for much but HSV may soon be doing times like M5 and CLS and that is a good selling point for an Aussie car.
xfalconz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #85
McobraR
me may my mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfalconz
Those 0-100 figures are close between SS and Typhoon .2 of a second is bugger all.
Maybe the HSV will crack into the high 4 seconds.
Magazine 0-100 times dont count for much but HSV may soon be doing times like M5 and CLS and that is a good selling point for an Aussie car.
October Wheels got like a 5.3 or 5.4 to 100, and somethin like a 13.4 down the quarter for the GTS
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:39 PM   #86
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
No it's more then that come-on Tyres are only 245's VZ HSV size If they were using 275's i would agree. It's more to do with a real IRS getting power and holding it down like a good obedient dog.
Yep, both the ss and typhoon run 245's

see here..

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...006&catid=1002

and here

http://www.fpv.com.au/media/19390/bf_f6_specs.pdf

real IRS?? as opposed to the fords which isnt real??? or are you refering to holdens previous effort???
either way the real IRS on the ss is great in a straight line but can hold the the road like a good obedient dog when going around the track. as i understand it the the track time of the typhoon was below that of the SS....:
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #87
Phoon Hoon

If I've told you once, I've told you 1000 times.

The first Commodores released to the media ALWAYS pull brilliant times that can NEVER be repeated again. 6 months down the track, when they are rolling off the production line, they are 0.5-0.8 seconds slower than their initial figures. Evidence?

Heaps of it.

A HSV coupe once pulled a 4.99. ONCE.
The new 6 litre VZ SS pulled low 5's. By April of this year, it added a FULL SECOND to this time.
Ditto the VZ Clubbie.

Yes, it was the same Motor Mag tests, so inconsistency is not an excuse.

We should be hell proud of the Phoon, as its times are getting better.

If the VE is pulling times this good in April of next year, I'll sell my Phoon and buy an Astra.

Holden are full of shyte.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:48 PM   #88
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I can see a lame arsed article from a rag of a magazine has got some people scared. Come now people, tis all Holden propaganda. The Orion is not much over a year away and while it may not have the power figures in the V8s it will be a damn lot lighter. The Turbo in any form is better than any V8 Holden can muster.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #89
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSF6

But there are a couple things that continually erk me about manufacturer claims, I cannot understand how an VE SS, some 120 kg heavier with only 10more kw crack a low 5? When the outgoing model wouldn;t see a 5?
Has happend before, Media spec cars with more HP. Lets see these times (SS 1-100) repeated in 6 months - in a car that is not leant from Holden Australia.

Anyone remember when the HSV "broke" 4.something seconds? Was that ever repeated?

Don't believe everything you read. Give me a Typhoon any day of the week. :
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #90
xfalconz

Im as keen as anyone to see the Phoon kick ****, especially the VE.
Acceleration times in magazines can vary by quite a lot. I said maybe HSV can get into 4 sec times but that doesnt mean much i still wouldnt own one.
Hopefully the times for the SS are not indicitive of real world performance.
Anyway i also think the Phoon is still THE Aussie performance car to have.
I just want my XR6T to still compete with VESS.
On the subject of magazine tests Motor said the XR6T is "easiest car to drive quickly" but rekoned SS is the one to have. Just shows how dodgy thier verdicts are...
xfalconz is offline   Reply With Quote