Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #61
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: All-new Ford GT revealed.

if they can get so good a numbers out of ecoboost v6 why cant they do a small ecoboost v8,somthing around 3.5/4l all alloy mmmmm
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #62
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
if they can get so good a numbers out of ecoboost v6 why cant they do a small ecoboost v8,somthing around 3.5/4l all alloy mmmmm
Maybe they'll get there eventually, if moving to the 2.7 V6 is a sign.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #63
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
If they did a 3.5L V8, you'd all be complaining that it's too small to be a proper V8...etc.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #64
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Long as it sounds like an 8 and goes ok couldnt care what size it was.when you are a v8 man dosnt matter how fast or fuell efficient it is as long as it had 8 cylinders
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 07:00 PM   #65
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-RPD View Post
Reminds me of the hype around the Jag XJ220 twin turbo V6. Sales flop killed that off.....

No disrespect here, it looks good but it will be spanked by the Europeans.........
No, XJ220 suffered from being different to the concept that attracted people in the first place, and the recession. Plus the XJR-15 was released at around the same time...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #66
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

The XJ220 was also at one point the world's fastest car, I think the new GT will be a bit more of a volume seller.
Old 13-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #67
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

One in yellow thanks...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #68
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stunning Ford GT concept. So stunning it must of have been design by an Australian.
Old 13-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #69
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Firstly- Awesome car!
Secondly- I notice that some people think it will be beaten by the Euros because the previous GT was. I'm not sure what Euro supercars you mean because I think the previous GT held up pretty well speed wise and I think the new one will as well.
Might pay to look at these Top Gear videos.( I'd personally like to know how fast it would have been if it was able to go around corners properly)

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UAnlMNvK8Y
Part 2: http://youtu.be/hVeGuCs1R4c

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #70
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford are saying the V6 TT ecoboost engine will produce over 600hp. This is Ford under quoting their power ratings once again. This powerplant will produce over 700hp without working up a sweat
Old 13-01-2015, 09:23 PM   #71
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could this Ecoboost V6 TT be used for our future supercar engine for our mustang come 2017?
Old 13-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #72
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4 View Post
Firstly- Awesome car!
Secondly- I notice that some people think it will be beaten by the Euros because the previous GT was. I'm not sure what Euro supercars you mean because I think the previous GT held up pretty well speed wise and I think the new one will as well.
Might pay to look at these Top Gear videos.( I'd personally like to know how fast it would have been if it was able to go around corners properly)

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UAnlMNvK8Y
Part 2: http://youtu.be/hVeGuCs1R4c
Well you say yourself the previous GT had a cornering problem. Ford aren't building another supercar to have drag races.

The previous GT was shopped between anything from Corvette's and Viper's to Gallardo's, F430's and 911's.

The new GT has a few more budget supercars to be shopped against, particularly the Nissan GT-R.
Old 13-01-2015, 09:53 PM   #73
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
Well you say yourself the previous GT had a cornering problem. Ford aren't building another supercar to have drag races.

The previous GT was shopped between anything from Corvette's and Viper's to Gallardo's, F430's and 911's.

The new GT has a few more budget supercars to be shopped against, particularly the Nissan GT-R.
I was kind of inferring, in my own poor way, that if this car can go around corners it should do well against the competition.
Fact is, whereas the previous car was the typical American pig iron, this car has what it needs to be compete.
- extensive use of composites
- 600+HP race developed engine
-Active aero
- carbon ceramic brakes
- pushrod suspension
It will all come down to whether the Americans have figured out how to make a car go around a corner properly and if they can price it appropriately.
I'll be very interested to find out the full specs (weight, power etc)

Just need to win lotto now and move to America so I can buy all these awesome new cars.

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #74
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Getting it to have good handling alone wont be important, it will need to ride well on rough roads too. That has probably been where they've fallen down the most with previous hipo cars that have been on a global market.
Old 13-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #75
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Disappointed it wasn't an Ecoboost V8. It's a supercar, who gives an F about economy.

But in saying that it should be quite lightweight and that 600hp + will make it honk.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #76
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Disappointed it wasn't an Ecoboost V8. It's a supercar, who gives an F about economy.

But in saying that it should be quite lightweight and that 600hp + will make it honk.
It's purpose built. Just like the original GT(40). It's built to win Le Mans. The game has changed since its first attempt all this years ago. Fuel efficiency is key.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 11:08 PM   #77
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

Not economy as much as it is about emissions themselves too which legislation surrounding is getting tighter.
Then there is also the LeMans program. What better way to display their engineering and link the two? Economy is a benefit for sure.

Last edited by Wretched; 13-01-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #78
CobraJet351

Quote:
Tell that to all the supercar manufactures jumping on the hybrid train. But I understand what you're saying.

In all honesty I can't believe some comments here. Ford produces a 600+hp supercar using a state-of-the-art twin turbo V6 engine, RWD set-up, an ultra-light structure, drop dead gorgeous looks (eye of the beholder), and people are still complaining. Lets just be happy a major US manufacturer is will to step outside the square and use something other than a V8. How great will it be if it out-performs all its higher displacement competitors!

I happy to be a Ford supporter, and always have been. Cars like this just make me even more proud to say I drive a Ford even though I'll probably never own a GT.
CobraJet351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #79
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

True, but to a point. A fast car does no good in races if it has a really short range, so in answer to your question, a lot of people would care about fuel economy, they just wouldn't expect it to rival a Prius.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #80
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraJet351 View Post
Tell that to all the supercar manufactures jumping on the hybrid train. But I understand what you're saying.

In all honesty I can't believe some comments here. Ford produces a 600+hp supercar using a state-of-the-art twin turbo V6 engine, RWD set-up, an ultra-light structure, drop dead gorgeous looks (eye of the beholder), and people are still complaining. Lets just be happy a major US manufacturer is will to step outside the square and use something other than a V8. How great will it be if it out-performs all its higher displacement competitors!

I happy to be a Ford supporter, and always have been. Cars like this just make me even more proud to say I drive a Ford even though I'll probably never own a GT.
Hybrid supercars?

LaFerrari - hybrid V12
P1 - hybrid TTV8
918 - hybrid V8.
Asterion - V10.

What am i missing? BMW i8? IMO that's more hybrid, less supercar with just a 1.5l engine. Until the new NSX was announced none others that I know of had a V6. The configuration takes nothing away from its capabilities but it is a large part of what sells the car. Given they're racing a 3.2l TTV6 in Daytona prototypes, I think the V6 will be faster. But I also think it would sell more with the 5.2l V8.
Old 14-01-2015, 03:19 PM   #81
dragons90

I think the new gtr is going to be a hybrid v6
Old 16-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #82
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

http://horsepowerkings.com/the-new-f...zing-for-a-v6/

Quote:
That turbo whistle might just win us over, but probably not. Like many of you, we are sick that Ford opted not to run a V8 in this otherwise beautiful Ford GT. But as we all well know, the future is here and smaller displacement, more ‘eco’ friendly motors are the way of the future.

We don’t doubt for one second that this new Ford supercar will be a performer, and we are still very excited for this car, despite the lack of those all important 2 cylinder. We just have a preconceived notion of the heart and soul of the Ford GT always being a V8, but times are a changin’. Afterall, we look at the new Porsche 918 Hybrid and the McLaren P1, and both are powered by hybrid V8’s.

Regardless, this car does sound amazing, and we can’t wait to hear it at full song. But this should tide us over, for now.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #83
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It lost all its credibility to me when I saw it was only available with a V6
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2015, 06:05 PM   #84
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Yeah, no credibility in a Supercar based on this

\≡≡T≡≡/
4 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #85
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Yeah, no credibility in a Supercar based on this

Lots of plumbing !
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #86
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
To be a supercar it cannot be a V6 many

Last edited by DJM83; 16-01-2015 at 08:01 PM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #87
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
To be a supercar it cannot be a V6 many

Not that at all, sorry my comment was mis understood, I know plenty of very powerful sports and susupercars arnt V8s. I just think it's not a Ford gt successor without having a V8. Ford should have marketed it as a completely new car and not tied it to the Ford gt at all in my opinion. Because it's missing one of the key aspects of a Ford GT
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2015, 09:32 PM   #88
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Not that at all, sorry my comment was mis understood, I know plenty of very powerful sports and susupercars arnt V8s. I just think it's not a Ford gt successor without having a V8. Ford should have marketed it as a completely new car and not tied it to the Ford gt at all in my opinion. Because it's missing one of the key aspects of a Ford GT
GT70?

GT90?

The key aspect of the Ford GT is a sportscar built for racing.

\≡≡T≡≡/
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2015, 11:52 PM   #89
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Besides two extra cylinders, what does the V8 have over the V6TT that has a tangible benefit?
Is the Porsche 918 any less of a car because Porsche went from a V10 in the Carrera GT to a V8? Is their racing 919 any less of a car, or missing a key aspect because they are running a V4T instead of their old V12 and V10 engines?

How can the GT be any less of a car because it has a V6TT? Have you been able to drive it back to back against the previous GT to compare?

Engines advance as technology improves. Allows companies to do more with less.
Old 17-01-2015, 01:12 AM   #90
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Yeah, and only 600 horsepower or so.

I guess turbo six Falcons have no credibility, either.