Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #61
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hilux back on top

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
May I ask why a Colorado? The manual thing is ok I guess if you're not towing heavy loads. But why a Colorado over say...a Ranger?
I looked at Rangers but after the local dealer was a right **** head and **** hole I swore off them.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #62
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
why not?
A few months ago I drove past a brand new Ranger on the side of the road where the whole front left hand wheel/hub/assembly had fallen off and separated from the vehicle.

And the Colorado ticked all the boxes for me, took heaps for a spin alongside Nissan, Isuzu D-Max, Mazda and found the Colorado drove and performed the best. Plus all 7 at my work raved about them and I trust their opinions.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #63
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Ford sales for the month ...

Ford EcoSport 247
Ford Everest 297
Ford Falcon 435
Ford Falcon Ute 197
Ford Fiesta 349
Ford Focus 715
Ford Kuga 351
Ford Mondeo 228
Ford Ranger 4X2 514
Ford Ranger 4X4 2,083
Ford Territory 596
Ford Transit 0
Ford Transit Bus 0
Ford Transit Custom 58
Ford Transit Heavy 28
Ford Total 6,098

In other words 34.1% of Ford sales were Ranger 4x4 or 42.6% if you include 4x2 Ranger sales.

Just as well we have it in the range.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 07-11-2015 at 03:24 PM.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #64
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
That sums it up pretty well.

I find my AU ute more practical and far more comfortable than any of these overpriced and overrated dual cab monstrosities.
Some of us need something with clearance, additional seats, and most importantly additional safety features. Which an AU ute lacks in all three cases. If I could get away with a Falcon ute for where I live & what I want a vehicle for, I'd have bought a Falcon ute. Not everybody has the same needs.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #65
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NTF6 the Colorado 7 LTZ is a bargain at the moment, $48K driveaway, free servicing until 2020. The LT is $43k driveaway. Compared to Tezza TS side steps on TS are $1300. Standard on Colorado..2700kg Tow Pack on Tezza $2300..on Colorado the 3000kg tow pack is $880..But on Everest the 3000kg tow pack is $1300..dealer couldnt explain why the tow pack is so expensive on a Tezza. Drive away a Tezza awd diesel is just on $55k add side steps and tow pack..nearly $59k...Fords pricing is baffling..its like "thats the price..take it or leave it"
Old 07-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #66
jandj

Quote:
Horrendous figures for everything apart from Ranger. It will never cease to amaze me how a once mighty automotive powerhouse in this country has slowly degenerated into a broken, hopeless basket case.
Yes horrendous figures , ford have only got themselves to blame.
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #67
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandj View Post
Yes horrendous figures , ford have only got themselves to blame.
Yes that, plus also Government policies starting back with the Button plan to "modernise the automotive industry", followed by our excessive need to deregulate an industry that no other country in the world has done and our need to compete with countries that did not drop their trade tariffs.

To this day I can't understand the mentality of Australian's allowing their successive governments to sell the country down the river under the guise of competition and free trade. Bizzare. People should start listening to the Member for Kennedy, Bob Katter.

Last edited by Romulus; 07-11-2015 at 08:07 PM. Reason: content correction
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #68
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

^^^ I think that's the Button Plan. The Dutton Plan involves Brown People
Old 07-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #69
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde View Post
Yes that, plus also Government policies starting back with the Dutton plan came into place followed by our excessive need to deregulate an industry that no other country in the world has done.

To this day I can't understand the mentality of Australian's allowing their successive governments to sell the country down the river under the guise of competition and free trade. Bizzare. People should start listening to the Member for Kennedy, Bob Katter.
I agree there have been many questionable decisions by both sides of government over the years in relation to our auto industry, but don't forget where the big decisions were always being made - The USA. They were never Australian companies, they were always going to look after number one, and have been scheming their exit for decades.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #70
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L View Post
^^^ I think that's the Button Plan. The Dutton Plan involves Brown People
Correct. Fixed
Old 07-11-2015, 11:02 PM   #71
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
People should start listening to the Member for Kennedy, Bob Katter.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #72
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
Because having more features apparently means a better car. Too bad if your XF has ran as well since the day you brought it 30 years ago. It still a crappy car because the Ranger that died after driving thou 0.2 metres of water has more features....
Ranger wading depth is 800 mm before you add a snorkel. Technology has moved on and XF is past it's designed life - can't really compare it to a modern vehicle. That does not mean XF is crap , just outdated .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #73
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes that, plus also Government policies starting back with the Button plan to "modernise the automotive industry", followed by our excessive need to deregulate an industry that no other country in the world has done and our need to compete with countries that did not drop their trade tariffs.

It is not that simple - car industry was subsidised to the tune of 30bn between 1997-2012 . Local content was specified , tax concessions and grants provided, maintaining the ban on used vehicle imports etc.
Lots of info available if you got time to read it .
http://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/compl...automotive.pdf

Last edited by SumoDog68; 08-11-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #74
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
It is not that simple - car industry was subsidised to the tune of 30bn between 1997-2012 . Local content was specified , tax concessions and grants provided, maintaining the ban on used vehicle imports etc.
A report commissioned by the government as to why the government's policies are justified. Right.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #75
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
NTF6 the Colorado 7 LTZ is a bargain at the moment, $48K driveaway, free servicing until 2020. The LT is $43k driveaway. Compared to Tezza TS side steps on TS are $1300. Standard on Colorado..2700kg Tow Pack on Tezza $2300..on Colorado the 3000kg tow pack is $880..But on Everest the 3000kg tow pack is $1300..dealer couldnt explain why the tow pack is so expensive on a Tezza. Drive away a Tezza awd diesel is just on $55k add side steps and tow pack..nearly $59k...Fords pricing is baffling..its like "thats the price..take it or leave it"
I got Holden to lock in the price for my LTZ at a tad over $44k and that includes a few extras.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #76
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A report commissioned by the government as to why the government's policies are justified. Right.
Report conclusions can be argued but the facts remain facts. There are many sources of data and industry was managed by many governments over the years. There is no doubt in my mind that both government and manufacturers as well as buying public have all contributed to the industries demise.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #77
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
I too am stunned with our obsession with tarted up Roman Chariots. Manufacturers must laugh everytime someone pays 50g for a twin cab ute.
It's the maddest thing ever. I especially like watching people try to securely carry or stow surfboards or canoes in them. Some of my mates are delusional about the things, it's hilarious to watch them try to paddle in and go over the falls on a 6 foot day on a 5'4" board "cos it fits in the tray"...
Old 08-11-2015, 09:22 PM   #78
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
they may have been subsidised, buts that is only because govco put in policy that caused them to need subsidising , and it isnt just the motor industry thats gone down hill for some decades.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2015, 09:32 PM   #79
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That sums it up pretty well.

I find my AU ute more practical and far more comfortable than any of these overpriced and overrated dual cab monstrosities.
My 2nd passenger complains every time we go for a drive in an AU ute.

Quote:
It still a crappy car because the Ranger that died after driving thou 0.2 metres of water has more features....
That never happened did it?

Quote:
I'd rather a Falcon ute over a ranger. You can laugh at lack of features the falcon ute has but as a basic work ute it does the job well especially in cab-chassis form and has been doing so since the AU days. Its the same reason I would buy a Hilux over a Ranger. As good of a ute (and it is a ute, not a truck) the Ranger to me has a serious **** factor and its a F series wanna be. I'd could buy a used F250 for the same price keep it a few years and it would still have better resale value then any duel cab ute. A very overpriced and overrated ute if you ask me
You do know the basic single cab "work ute" spec Ranger is cheaper than a Falcon ute?
It is also more fuel efficient, can tow more, has double the payload rating. The only thing the Falcon Ute can do better is do doughies and win drag races. Two things most cheap ute buyers don't care about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
All these dual cab utes are crap IMO:

You can't fit fat ****s like me in the back comfortably, as a consequence because you can't fit me in the back you can't carry a anything decent in the back either because the tub is too small.

So:

Doesn't fit people in the back well
Can't carry decent load in the back
Rides like a tractor
About as fast as a 1999 WF Festiva 1.3L auto.
Costs $50K+ for one with decent interior

But I need you to keep on buying them because you guys keep my business making profit when you rock up and want dual battery systems and Anderson plugs everywhere.
You're the one who always goes on about how fantastic F250's, Silverados and all the massive America utes are. If we were to only point out the bad points of them we could make them sound like terrible vehicles.
I'm 6 3 tall and can fit into the back of most modern duel cabs fine. They are no limousine but they are not the worst rear seat I have been in. If they started making utes with limousine quality rear seats, they wouldn't actually fit into any car parks in the country. Just like most American utes.

Doesn't fit people in the back well - No worse than any hatchback. They are one of the most popular vehicle categories. Do you buy a car to drive or to be driven in. Majority of people in the back of utes will be the kids.
Can't carry decent load in the back Weight wise? most utes can carry a tonne or so. If you need more you may want to look into a dedicated work truck(Isuzu, Hino, Kenworth, Scania were does 'decent load' start) Size wise? Well do you want the tub to cut more into the back seats? or should we make them 7 metres long?
Rides like a tractor Modern ones drive fantastic compared to utes of even 10 years ago. Leaf suspension is never going to be perfect but I thought you wanted to carry a decent load as stated by your previous complaint. Springs are more comfy, but will cut into that precious payload.
About as fast as a 1999 WF Festiva 1.3L auto. The slowest diesel utes on the road could be in reverse and beat a Festiva. Plus haven't you seen half of this forum?, you aren't allowed to talk about performance of diesel utes because they aren't made for that.
Costs $50K+ for one with decent interior You can't get a decent large SUV and get much change for 50K. Large SUV is probably the closest category to a dual cab ute. Maybe if you want a mint interior for a little price you should look at a top of the line hatch. They are only about 40K or so. But the back seats are pretty small in a hatch so how would you live with that?
Modern dual cabs are great all rounders. There are some compromises but I don't know of any vehicle in the world that ticks all the boxes.

If only someone made a 7 series that can do 0-100 in 4 seconds, while using 4.6L/100kms, get around the nurburg in 7 mins while feeling like you are on a cloud, but of course make sure it can also carry a bob cat on the back while fitting in a city car park and only cost as much as base model Corolla. Once that car comes out I will jump at it.

Last edited by Ben73; 08-11-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2015, 10:37 PM   #80
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
And the Colorado ticked all the boxes for me.

Even though they use the same engine(A 428 DOHC, made under license by GM in Thailand)that Jeep used in the Wrangler and Chrysler used in the Voyager.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:48 PM   #81
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hilux back on top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
Even though they use the same engine(A 428 DOHC, made under license by GM in Thailand)that Jeep used in the Wrangler and Chrysler used in the Voyager.

And that means nothing to me, what a stupid response to a post, idiot!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:09 AM   #82
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
And that means nothing to me, what a stupid response to a post, idiot!
Touchy, touchy aren't you. It is just that the uninformed think that these motors are a GM Duramax engine.

Actually these motors are very good. They are a VM Motori motor(although manufactured under license in Thailand) who arguably manufacture the best diesel motors currently available.

Last edited by Warrenk; 09-11-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Warrenk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2015, 12:12 AM   #83
Warrenk

Double Post
Old 09-11-2015, 12:28 AM   #84
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not touchy, you started your reply with even though, I don't give a rats **** who makes them or uses them your original reply had nothing to do with my post.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:57 AM   #85
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
They are a VM Motori motor(although manufactured under license in Thailand) who arguably manufacture the best diesel motors currently available.
Bet you holden don't agree with that statement with all the engines they are replacing
Old 09-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #86
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Given how crap Falcons are going by the comments in every single thread I'm surprised anyone here owns one!
Explains the Focus tanking in sales then doesn't it.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #87
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Carrying more than one passenger in my ute is simply not a requirement for me. I own a sedan for that purpose.
Utes were designed for carrying loads, and the trays in most dual cab utes are completely useless for carrying anything longer than one metre. I have carried items in my Falcon that simply wouldn’t fit in a dual cab ute, or would need the tailgate left down, which is hardly ideal.
It would be awesome to have a different car for every different need. Insurance, rego, parking for 3 or so cars isn't cheap.
The things I carry in my dual cab fit perfectly into the tub. I have left the tailgate down once. Not ideal but if you can strap the item down it's all good. I carry 2 or more passengers heaps more than I carry huge things.

There is a difference between a crap car and a car that does suit someones needs. I thought being a car forum most people here would get that. But sometimes I feel like I have wandered onto a kitchen appliance forum or something like that. It's only a matter of time before some members here start using the "why would you buy that car, cars are just meant for getting around" line we have all heard before from the ones of haven't seen the light.
This isn't aimed at your tempted, just a general feeling around here sometimes.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #88
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Utes were designed for carrying loads, and the trays in most dual cab utes are completely useless for carrying anything longer than one metre. I have carried items in my Falcon that simply wouldn’t fit in a dual cab ute, or would need the tailgate left down, which is hardly ideal.
I'm not sure how a dual cab ute with a 1.5m tub can't carry a load longer than 1m.

Last edited by mcflux; 09-11-2015 at 10:05 AM. Reason: too slow to post!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #89
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Carrying more than one passenger in my ute is simply not a requirement for me. I own a sedan for that purpose.
so don't buy a dual cab then, you do know you can buy a single cab ute don't you?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #90
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

2 cars still = 2 parking spaces. Also I'd edited my post as Ben73 had already covered my first point.

Quote:
Well seeing that my ute only cost me 4.5k and my car $40k, I basically got 2 cars for the price of one and still came out in front. Insurance and rego are minimal costs to me which are offset by the cheaper running cost of lpg.
The bonus is that I can keep my car pristine while using my ute as a workhorse and a shopping trolley and not having to worry about dents, scratches or where it is parked.
Each to their own - and it depends on the intended purpose of the vehicle you've bought too. You've stated your two purposes for your two vehicles. Good for you, you've got your situations covered. Some of us only need one vehicle to cover everything.

I hope you're planning on keeping the $40k sedan for a good decade or so, because its resale will suck.

Quote:
None of the agricultural jap/thai utes can even match a 15 year old AU ute for space comfort, power, refinement and handling, let alone a new FGX.
Have you even driven or sat inside a new dual cab?