Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #61
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: A guy at the next bowser was on his mobile phone??!!

Seriously using your mobile wont do anything, If it had the potential to ignite the fuel station you wouldnt be able to drive into the fuel station, pretty sure your car isnt intrinsically safe, have you seen an old badly maintained ignition system in the dark, sparks everywhere. The lights at the servo arent intrinsically safe either. No Combustible monitors for LEL are even used close to the fuel pumps. Stupidity is probably the biggest risk and we all know how common that is, but hard to police. Been yelled at over the PA once aswell, Just stopped talking on the phone, everyone was happy, phone was still switched on, so basically talking is the issue for them, so maybe distraction is the real reason. Smoking while refuelling, Just stupid, theres your risk, if your that stupid what else might you do.
Old 24-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #62
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you studied electronic engineering, you would realize the power of static electricity is far more than a phone can produce.

"Fueling operations

The flowing movement of flammable liquids like gasoline inside a pipe can build up static electricity. Non-polar liquids such as gasoline, toluene, xylene, diesel, kerosene and light crude oils exhibit significant ability for charge accumulation and charge retention during high velocity flow. Static electricity can discharge the fuel vapor.[16] When the electrostatic discharge energy is high enough, it can ignite a fuel vapor and air mixture. Different fuels have different flammable limits and require different levels of electrostatic discharge energy to ignite.

Electrostatic discharge while fueling with gasoline is a present danger at gas stations.[17] Fires have also been started at airports while refueling aircraft with kerosene. New grounding technologies, the use of conducting materials, and the addition of anti-static additives help to prevent or safely dissipate the build up of static electricity.

The flowing movement of gases in pipes alone creates little, if any, static electricity.[18] It is envisaged that a charge generation mechanism only occurs when solid particles or liquid droplets are carried in the gas stream."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_electricity
Old 24-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #63
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisosicko View Post
It's a bit like not using mobile phones on a plane, it's better to be safe than sorry. The question is "Will anything go wrong?" Answer, most likely not, but on that extremely rare chance it does, the outcome will be catastrophic. And I can tell you right now I wouldn't want to be the one responsible. So I believe telling the man off is a reasonable thing to.
Funny you mention that. On my trip to South Africa I was sitting on the tarmac in Sydney with an African guy right next to me across the aisle having 2 conversations on 2 phones at the same time.

There were lots of people doing the "perhaps if I stare at him with an anguished look on our face he will see his wrongdoings and cease immdeiatly".

Several flight attendants walked past, in both directions and made no attempt to ask him to put his phones away. He made no attempt to hide what he was doing either... whatever he was speaking could be heard by all the surrounnding rows.

All flight attendants were ordered to take their seats ready for take-off afther their final check. He was still on the phone. Now people were propping themselves up, pointing, and then talking to their partners with extreme side to side nodding and more looks of anguish. The people next to him, an elderly couple were fidgeting and looked very uncomfortable..

I had had enough, tapped him on the shoulder with the back of my hand on the hard side and asked him if he was going to be on the phone the whole flight or only the first half? Put the bloody phones away.

He got the msg and hung up as the front wheels left the ground for take-off.

I didn't care about sparking / whatever the rules were. He was very loud and annoying and this mzungu wanted a peaceful flight.....

I got a lot of thank you looks after that... I was actually very annoyed that not one flight attendant took it upon themselves to step in... very poor effort on their part.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 24-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #64
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post
You couldn't honestly say you have never spoken on your mobile phone whilst your car is running? There's more chance of the car catching light as a result of a phone than a servo...reason being....confined space..
lets look at it logically car contains say 60 to 100 L of fuel, servo has maybe 100 000 L of fuel say the odds of a car fire from mobile use are 1 000 000:1 and the risk of serious injury or death is confined to you and your passengers, the odds of using your mobile causing (by your obvious scientific knowledge) are less, lets say 10 000 000:1 risk of serious injury or death. it is not confined to your car but to all at the servo and possibly the surrounding buildings and passing cars depending on the size of the explosion say 100 people. [sarcasm]I wonder why they are so protective what's 100 lives give or take a few [/sarcasm]

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 24-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #65
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As an educated society (& I do NOT mean internet educated), we will follow the laws that make sense & fit our values. This is exactly the issue with the speeding versus revenue debate and can not be overcome by legislation, it must be done by education, otherwise it will just bounce off.
A good law with a poor explanation will not be followed. In this case the explaination is NOT the risk of explosion but the risk of spill - environmental / over paying!
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
Old 24-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #66
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i think the other guy should have had a go at you. why would you pull up to a bowser on the opposite side to your filler?
Why not? I do it all the time as the biggest car I have is the Focus and everything else (including the Focus) can be filled from across the hatch / boot. I actually look at the people in wonder who will line up behind 2 or 3 waiting cars in their (enter any city car model here) because they can't be bothered holding the hose up with their left hand whild pumping on the wrong side of the car.. or don't know that it actually reaches.

I hate petrol stations in general, the fumes don't go well with me and the faster I'm in and out the better.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
This user likes this post:
Old 24-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #67
SavVYute

I take from this discussion that your mobile phone should be switched off before you front up to your local servo. I have been in the situation where my mobile has rung in my pocket while pumping fuel......
Old 24-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #68
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A car is more likely to catch fire from static electricity discharge via the nozzle than from a phone
As a phone is a current emitting device ,it's just a precaution

If it was highly dangerous filling up at a servo cars would have spark arresters and all sorts of other things on them

BTW i believe you can't drive you car into an open cut coal mine unless your car has a spark arresting device on it as well as a modified exhaust system

So much for petrol re fueling being dangerous
Old 24-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #69
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, you tube seems to differ with a lot of the arguements here.

plenty of fires strated from people using mobile phones there.
Old 24-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #70
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i likey this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUYOf1viZX0
Old 24-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #71
Dark Reign
Starter Motor

Holy crap
Old 24-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #72
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen most of the above and shook my head but said nothing.......however I have refuelled on two occasions now with my pilot light (read "naked flame") on the fridge in the van still in operation......

"cold sweat" comes to mind after I had realised what I had done

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 24-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #73
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when it`s all said and done , it`s not too much of an imposition to leave the bloody mobile in the car and wait 5 minutes to call someone in the parking area away from the pumps, even if it only means the woman with the car load of kids next you won`t be in fear for her life, danger or not, at the very least it`s a common courtesy to not use the mobile at the pumps.
Old 24-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #74
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey, stop talking sense in this thread mik..
Old 24-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #75
robbyj
Rob

am i missing something here? people smoking at the servo.. doesn't the little red circle with a red line through the middle crossing out a cigarette mean its illegal to smoke in that area?
Old 24-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #76
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

unfortunately no amount of legislation can stop stupidity some smokers are so heavily addicted they just don't care as long as they get their nicotine fix. sounds like any other drug addict doesn't it
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyj View Post
am i missing something here? people smoking at the servo.. doesn't the little red circle with a red line through the middle crossing out a cigarette mean its illegal to smoke in that area?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 24-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #77
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So bascially static is bad

Whilst its bad, i dont think will be a good look to get out the car with legs apart and afterwards walk to the counter to pay, again with legs apart like a penguin so i dont create static

However on a serious note, Jerry Cans. Make sure you fill them properly with the bottom of it touching the ground creating the earth needed.

Below is a picture of Narwee Caltex in Sydney on 13/09/2009
Lady turned up and filled jerry can for lawnmower and held it in her hand only

Created a static spark, ignited, her new volkswagon car up in smoke, area evacuated and 5 or so fire engines and police and ambluance later and due to train line right near it, East Hills line trains suspended.

Lady in shock and treated for inhalation but was ok, more so shock.

I was 5mins late getting there as was heading there to fill up. So kinda lucky.
Brother was down the street, so swung past his place and went back and took pics.

VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina

Last edited by uniacidz; 24-03-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 24-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #78
WMD351
Size it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Thieving swine drove off without paying!
Old 24-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #79
myts50

There are dead set idiots out there, one time had 3 people walk right past the bowser as I'm filling the car and these morons light a smoke each

After telling them to move on ( not so politely) luckily I'm hear to tell the tale mentioning it to the console operator met with a shrug of the shoulder

FPV BF FORCE 8 Ego Build # 26
........... S/Steel xforce exhaust,Blue Power air filter, ZF trans all tuned by "Autotech", 254rwk ,brembo's,factory sunroof
Old 24-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #80
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i think the other guy should have had a go at you. why would you pull up to a bowser on the opposite side to your filler?
have to do this quite a bit if its busy
what gets me is when you pull up filling up and the whole other side is empty yet people pull in behind you to wait
the pump handle will reach the other side you know, without touching the boot of the car

i just take my time.....
Old 24-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #81
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
lets look at it logically car contains say 60 to 100 L of fuel, servo has maybe 100 000 L of fuel say the odds of a car fire from mobile use are 1 000 000:1 and the risk of serious injury or death is confined to you and your passengers, the odds of using your mobile causing (by your obvious scientific knowledge) are less, lets say 10 000 000:1 risk of serious injury or death. it is not confined to your car but to all at the servo and possibly the surrounding buildings and passing cars depending on the size of the explosion say 100 people. [sarcasm]I wonder why they are so protective what's 100 lives give or take a few [/sarcasm]
Not using science with my answers....Just using facts of never hearing of a servo going up as a result of a mobile phone.

As for a distraction whilst filling....I don't know about anyone else, but all the servos I've been to, the pump clicks off when the fuel hits the nossil...So if there is 5 litres or so of fuel hitting the deck, to me, that sounds like the pump has a fault that needs fixing....not the person filling the tank....

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 24-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #82
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brazen, the same set of servo rules about mobiles also says turn your cars engine off while filling up. By the time you turn your engine off, get out and walk to your filler cap and start pumping fuel, the exhaust temperature will have dropped by 400 degrees. What is the ignition point of petrol? I know its flash point is -45 degrees
Old 24-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #83
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
I've seen most of the above and shook my head but said nothing.......however I have refuelled on two occasions now with my pilot light (read "naked flame") on the fridge in the van still in operation......

"cold sweat" comes to mind after I had realised what I had done
Naught naughty, illegal to tow caravan with gas pilot on. lol
Old 24-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #84
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Given how addicted most people are to their mobiles, I should think servos would be exploding all over the place if they were vulnerable to a mobile being operated in the general vicinity.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
Old 24-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #85
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not using science with my answers....Just using facts of never hearing of a servo going up as a result of a mobile phone.

As for a distraction whilst filling....I don't know about anyone else, but all the servos I've been to, the pump clicks off when the fuel hits the nossil...So if there is 5 litres or so of fuel hitting the deck, to me, that sounds like the pump has a fault that needs fixing....not the person filling the tank....
And being dead but morally right is any consolation too you?

There are too many fires at petrol stations across australia and even more globally becuase people Know better. the Ill be right, Ive never heard of it, it won't happen to me attitude is the common denominator in many of them.
a few months ago I was at a station when fuel was pouring out below a car being filled. apparently the fuel hose to the tank had split and allowed a spill. this could lead to disaster if not noticed in time and other circumstances occurred.
But anyhow good luck with your behaviours out there, youll be right and it will never happen to you.
JP
Old 24-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #86
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Naught naughty, illegal to tow caravan with gas pilot on. lol
yep!....and as much as I try it still happens......I left the workshop open all night the night before last.....simply forgot to shut it.....it's a bugger getting old!

I'm not the only one though thank christ!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #87
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so it's better to wait for a disaster to kill people than to act to prevent it happening ? sounds intelligent and reasonable to me , NOT. but there are plenty of antisocial selfish people around who ignore warnings because think they think know better than trained specialists who strive to prevent accidents rather than mop up the aftermath. I know who I would rather trust to keep us safe
Quote:

Rides:

Old 24-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #88
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: A guy at the next bowser was on his mobile phone??!!

Not sure what people are arguing about.

Just follow the rules, weather you agree or not is not the question here, and no point arguing otherwise.

You do not own the servo, you go there to purchase fuel, so follow the rules associated with it and show some respect to the owners and people working there and fellow customers if you do not like the rules associated with attending and using a service station, don't go there.

May be start riding a push bike that requires no fuel, if it is too difficult for you to just be normal and to show some common courtesy to those around you. No one cares about myth busters and how many servos have blown up by mobile phone use.

If you come to my business (not a servo by the way) or my house you follow my rules, I don't care if you think they are stupid or myth busters has proven otherwise, show some respect!!!

At my house you take your shoes off when you walk inside, I believe no one has ever been killed or maimed for wearing shoes inside a house. But these are my rules, so if you come to my house or business I expect you to follow them, don't argue about it, don't talk about it, just do it. Not a lot to ask.

By the way if you come to the counter where I work and you are talking on a mobile phone I will just walk away from you and leave you standing there continuing to go about my business like you are not even there or I will serve someone else till you show some respect.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 24-03-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 24-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #89
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

It seems the facts support the theory that mobile phones won't cause an explosion... However, as with driving and any other thing you're doing, talking on the phone is a distraction and can lead to mistakes.
It takes a few minutes to fill your tank. Seriously, has life become that busy and stressful that a phone call can't wait a few minutes...?
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #90
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Not sure what people are arguing about.

Just follow the rules, weather you agree or not is not the question here, and no point arguing otherwise.

You do not own the servo, you go there to purchase fuel, so follow the rules associated with it and show some respect to the owners and people working there and fellow customers if you do not like the rules associated with attending and using a service station, don't go there.

May be start riding a push bike that requires no fuel, if it is too difficult for you to just be normal and to show some common courtesy to those around you. No one cares about myth busters and how many servos have blown up by mobile phone use.

If you come to my business (not a servo by the way) or my house you follow my rules, I don't care if you think they are stupid or myth busters has proven otherwise, show some respect!!!

At my house you take your shoes off when you walk inside, I believe no one has ever been killed or maimed for wearing shoes inside a house. But these are my rules, so if you come to my house or business I expect you to follow them, don't argue about it, don't talk about it, just do it. Not a lot to ask.

By the way if you come to the counter where I work and you are talking on a mobile phone I will just walk away from you and leave you standing there continuing to go about my business like you are not even there or I will serve someone else till you show some respect.
Game, set and match. Thread over.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread