Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: How important is your health and your families health?
I'm concerned, bring in tougher Diesel emission laws 51 22.37%
I'm concerned but not worried, bring on the Diesels! 44 19.30%
Don't care, more Diesel vehicles please. 68 29.82%
Diesel is for trucks only! 43 18.86%
Give me electric 11 4.82%
When's Nuclear coming? 47 20.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2007, 12:59 AM   #61
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Please read the attached article that this thread was started from, before making comments that accuse people of not telling the truth :
I didn't accuse you of anything, calm down. All I said was I found it hard to believe (and still do).
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:38 AM   #62
burnz
VFII SS UTE

doesent anybody look at real diesel's anymore
see them in action anytime at
detroit diesel chipping norton
cummins landsvale
catterpillar alexandria
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #63
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
I didn't accuse you of anything, calm down. All I said was I found it hard to believe (and still do).
Then find the specs for a pre-07 Q7 and show the particulate filter, maybe you can catch out some bad reporting on behalf of Richard Blackburn, The Sydney Morning Herald :

That's a better alternative to writing what you think, rather than what you know. :

Audi Q7 Breaks Cover

Back on topic: I'm guessing that by the end of the year all Euro Diesel vehicles will have particulate filters, not so sure about the Asian stuff.

Toyota had a problem with the Hilux Diesels passing emissions test; anyone know anything about this? http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=66104
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #64
herbs

If you want a diesel but feel guilty. Make your own biodiesel.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #65
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
Until every car in the country is running hydrogen (which has nothing but water coming out the exhaust) your causing health problems.

LPG is as close as we have to a genuine zero toxin fuel, everyone else is kidding themselves.
Actually sorry but the truth is LPG and CNG is actually the highest cancer causing fuels around, you see because gas is mostly made up of methane which burns more completely than than anything else (yet still produces less power) the particulate matter from and LPG/CNG sourced vehicle is actually a lot smaller and has more chanced of embedding in the lung than other fuels exahust with a higher risk of causing cancer.

The black soot that comes out of diesels is harmless so never think just because it blows smoke its worse for you, its the things u cant see that harm you.

You know what the media are like, they never put ALL the facts in, they prefer to put in the most shockingly believable!

Diesel all the way.....

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #66
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

The Q7 puffing a little black smoke on hard takeoff. Uh, you will find a petrol engine will blow a little puff of black smoke when nailed also. It's because of the large amount of fuel being burned quickly. Normally you wouldn't see any smoke because there isn't enough coming out to be visible.

I don't think diesel is the answer to the future, but just like hybrids I think it will be a stop gap until better systems exist. I mean even electric cars pollute. There may be no emmisions coming from the car but there is from the power plant burning coal to produce the electricity, and from the factories producing the materials the car is built from and the car itself.

The standard of diesel has improved greatly and as long as it keeps improving I have no problem with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
Actually sorry but the truth is LPG and CNG is actually the highest cancer causing fuels around, you see because gas is mostly made up of methane which burns more completely than than anything else (yet still produces less power) the particulate matter from and LPG/CNG sourced vehicle is actually a lot smaller and has more chanced of embedding in the lung than other fuels exahust with a higher risk of causing cancer.
Oh and LPG isn't methane, it's totally different and isn't related in any way to CNG. LPG is actually a byproduct of the oil refining process and consists primarily of Propane and Butane (Automotive LPG is generally 60% Propane, 40% Butane. The stuff you fill your BBQ bottles with contains much more propane). It sits at the top of the fractioning tower, tar is down the bottom under what we consider machine oil and then diesel and then petrol above that. LPG is what is being burnt off to produce the big flames you see coming out of the stacks at oil refineries. There's so much it goes to waste.

Natural gas (CNG) comes out of the ground as is, and like you said is primarily methane. It isn't made from oil.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx

Last edited by Powdered Toast Man; 01-09-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #67
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Mercedes Benz DiesOtto engine?

"A beefy 400Nm of torque from a 1.8-litre petrol four? Meet Benz's new DiesOtto mill

By TERRY MARTIN 3 August 2007MERCEDES-BENZ claims to have combined the advantages of both petrol and diesel engines – including low emissions of the former and high torque and fuel economy of the latter – with its “DiesOtto” powertrain concept unveiled last week.

“Otto” translates to “petrol” from German to English. The 1.8-litre four-cylinder petrol engine has direct-injection, turbocharging, variable valve control and a variable compression ratio, along with a diesel-oriented “controlled auto ignition” combustion process.

The latter works at low and medium engine speeds, while the conventional spark ignition occurs at start-up and under full load. The small displacement is needed to reduce consumption, but the output is an impressive 175kW of power and 400Nm of torque.

Economy is claimed to be less than 6.0L/100km for a vehicle the size (and specification of) the S-class.

“Our next (production) goal will now be to make the gasoline engine as economical as a diesel.

“All the preconditions for this are provided by our DiesOtto concept, which incorporates the foremost strengths of both the gasoline engine and diesel engine,” said DaimlerChrysler’s head of group research and advanced engineering (vehicle and powertrain) Herbert Kohler."
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:41 AM   #68
Hardtop
XBGT Hardtop

nothing wrong with diesels when running em on cooking oil, except the govt doesn't like missing out on the duty, so they dont really like it, but no deadly fumes (so far as i know) just smeel like a chip shop!!!
Hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #69
capriv8

Your not going to believe this but about fifteen years ago I was going out with a girl that loved the smell of diesel fumes, it put her in the mood and got her going, her sister let it slip so I put it to the test and sure enough it was true. Then I met my wife who loves the smell of burnt racing fuel/oil and it happens to her, women are strange.
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #70
prydey
Rob

slightly off topic BUT...

people will quite readily consume large quantities of alcohol,smoke, use drugs, eat greasy fat burgers, not exercise etc etc.. and then whinge that some fumes coming out the back of a car is bad for their health!! ironic huh!

not pointing the finger at anyone on here as i don't know anyone personally. i just think that if you made a list of things that are damaging to your health, fuel fumes wouldn't be very high.

talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #71
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bring back super i say lol
||| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #72
timothyds

Just remember everytime you fill up with unleded you are breathing in hundreds of known and proven cancer causing agents. if Aust has the same particle filter systems as Europe we would be fine with Diesel (we dont so dont breath too deep) but dont breath at all when you next fill up with ulp. longt live lpg.
timothyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #73
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyds
if Aust has the same particle filter systems as Europe we would be fine with Diesel (we dont so dont breath too deep)
Ahhh, but we do! Just have to buy a European car! Our Peugeot has a particulate filter!

Quote:
long live lpg.
Amen to that too!
Old 04-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #74
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As do a lot of new european trucks sold locally.
Regards,
Tote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:34 AM   #75
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey, where is the "alternate renewable liquid Fuels" in the poll !!!

Less Technology change than Electric, and better for the Aus economy (we could all be sugar beet farmers !!)

EgoFG
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:23 PM   #76
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Cool Maybe but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLemmywinks
hi. rudolf deisel killed himself so it cant be to good
Or
German secret agents killed him so he wouldn't sell his engine to the English
Or
French secret agents killed him so he wouldn't sell his engine to the US navy for their subs
Or
US Oil barons killed him so his Non petroleum based engine
(Diesel preferred vegetable oil to run his engine)

Uk
:
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #77
Hawk
I am The Brain!

I would be much happier if I didn't have to drive behind the Ivanhoe Bus Company buses that blow plumes of thick, disgusting black smoke right at my car. I assume they are diesel. Get rid of these shocking things, and then attack diesel cars.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #78
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
I would be much happier if I didn't have to drive behind the Ivanhoe Bus Company buses that blow plumes of thick, disgusting black smoke right at my car. I assume they are diesel. Get rid of these shocking things, and then attack diesel cars.
Simply fixed, don't drive so close that they blow smoke over your car.
Tote
Old 17-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #79
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

So you hate diesel. how do you think your petrol gets to the fuel bowser? or how do your vegies get to the supermarket or how your car when new got delivered to the dealers?

I would be more inclined to worry about the crap in the air that we can't see and breath everyday!! you would be surprised what is out there or what nasties are in your clean house.

What about petrol cars that blow a heap of smoke because the rings are shot? Wind your window up and put the aircon on recycle and get over it. :

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #80
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthxr6t
So you hate diesel. how do you think your petrol gets to the fuel bowser?
mum told me it was the petrol fairies!! She wouldnt lie!

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #81
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLemmywinks
hi. rudolf deisel killed himself so it cant be to good
Not true my friend, he was murdered but that's a discussion for another time...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #82
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Or
German secret agents killed him so he wouldn't sell his engine to the English
Or
French secret agents killed him so he wouldn't sell his engine to the US navy for their subs
Or
US Oil barons killed him so his Non petroleum based engine
(Diesel preferred vegetable oil to run his engine)

Uk
:
Hehe, actually it was the pesky Rothschild family, they still have a monopoly on the world's resources today but they're in big trouble right now...

Okay, back on topic now guys...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 11:06 PM   #83
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
mum told me it was the petrol fairies!! She wouldnt lie!

SourBastard

Do you think she does home delivery?

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #84
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!

The black soot that comes out of diesels is harmless so never think just because it blows smoke its worse for you, its the things u cant see that harm you.

Stoney!
During an autopsy, you can tell the difference between someone who has lived in a city all their life from one that hasnt. You know how? By the amount of soot in their lungs.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #85
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if these need filters? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji8xj...eature=related
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #86
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
What spark plugs?
I LOL'd :P :
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #87
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

The new Euro 5 Compliant Volvo and Mercedes buses are not cut back for emission what so ever now so go like absolute rockets with their 12 Litre engines, run better fuel economy than before due to not being cut back and ridden with other obstacles. And have lower emissions than the equivalent Euro 5 Compliant gas buses. Using the new SCR technology.

Extract From wikipedia.
Quote:
Selective catalytic reduction (SCR) is a means of removing nitrogen oxides, often the most abundant and polluting component in exhaust gases, through a chemical reaction between the exhaust gases, a (reductant) additive, and a catalyst.

A gaseous or liquid reductant (most commonly ammonia or urea) is added to a stream of flue or exhaust gas and is absorbed onto a catalyst. The reductant reacts with NOx in the exhaust gas to form harmless H2O (water vapour) and N2 (nitrogen gas).
I think diesel will be the way of the future, and after driving the new 125 kw Golf GT Sport, I'm sold, Quiet, very powerful and economical.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #88
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
Simply fixed, don't drive so close that they blow smoke over your car.
Tote
Sounds great in theory, but I get stuck behind them in peak hour. You can't go anywhere.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #89
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

I love diesels, i drive a diesel everyday for a work vehicle and have also worked at a diesel specialist shop. It always brings a smile to my face seeing a worked powerstroke or cummins boot it and dump plumes of black smoke accompanied by the sound of the turbo, if only my courier did that .
Old 18-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #90
burnz
VFII SS UTE

GM 2 stroke best way to covert diesel into black smoke.
their's nothing like a screeming jimmy!
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote