Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What engine would you like to see in the new GTHO?
Leave the BOSS just put the Falcon on a diet. 16 3.75%
The Shelby Mustang 5.4L supercharged V8 373kw 651nm 56 13.11%
Ford GT Alloy Block 5.4L supercharged V8 410kw 678nm 261 61.12%
The Modular 6.8L V10 with a lazy 266kw and 620nm 6 1.41%
The new Hurrican/Boss 6.2L OHC V8 317kw 576nm 70 16.39%
The 4.2 L Jaguar AJ34 supercharged DOHC V8 298kw 553nm 7 1.64%
The all Aussie 4.0L turbocharged Barra L6 with the boost wound up 11 2.58%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #61
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We need another option in the poll: Its nice to dream but forget it, the car wont and shouldn't happen.

Old 26-04-2007, 10:40 AM   #62
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

GTHO's were bulit for the specific purpose of being a race car,they only sold 300 so that the car would be eligable to race in the ATCC, personaly i dont think ford should or will ever make another HO,its a legend and i think it should be left that way, the fact the car would never see a race track is enough reason not to do it.
Old 26-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #63
flukey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12sec 3V XT
GTHO's were bulit for the specific purpose of being a race car,they only sold 300 so that the car would be eligable to race in the ATCC, personaly i dont think ford should or will ever make another HO,its a legend and i think it should be left that way, the fact the car would never see a race track is enough reason not to do it.
Agreed.

Having said that, I think that Ford Aust should build a coupe with bulk power, that would be cool as!! Or import the mustang and make it RHD, but price it properly!!
Old 26-04-2007, 02:25 PM   #64
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise
I don’t think that I’ve read so much s*** in an AFF thread since the days of Ammo Jammo. All of this talk about new 351 Clevos, lumpy loud V8s on idle, carbon fibre wind deflectors for your windscreen wipers, V 10 supercharged blah blah blah.

Obviously half of the people here are unaware of a little thing called Euro 3.

I’m surprised that this thread has lasted this long.
Too true, especially the Ammo Jammo part, :
but why hasnt someone mentioned the V12 thats just the 2 I6 motors put together....?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 26-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #65
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
We need another option in the poll: Its nice to dream but forget it, the car wont and shouldn't happen.

It's FORD we're talking about here. They're currently a distant 3rd in the sales race. They need as many sales and buyer empathy as possible.

A "watered down" HO would help to bring back some of that..........the marketing HYPE alone would blow everything else out of the water and focus heaps of attention on FPV. The trickle down effect would be massive even before the car would be released............

Anyways , I've stated this before. No matter what FORD or FPV build as a modern day "HO".........none of us here would EVER be satisfied.

If it was faster than a HSV , it's be slower than a BUGATTI Veyron. If it was faster than the VEYRON , it'd be slower than the space shuttle........If it was faster than that, it'd then be slower than the speed of light......... TOO MANY WHINGERS and Datsun Drivers here.

P.S. The original HO wasn't that ****** hot as a drivers car anyways......according to many excerpts from Allan Moffat et al..........so I guess the comparisons are all made against the impossible hyperboles that have been whispered down from generation to generation....................

FLAME SUIT has been firmly fastened.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 26-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #66
Franky
Bring back the Phase

how about outdoing the Bugatti Veyron? they used 2 v8's together to make a V16 so the GTHO could bolt 2 v10's and make a V20!

Boy that would make HSV look slow

(obviously I am joking)
Old 26-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #67
osiris
a large McCrunch with....

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
Funny how Ford USA can do a Shelby Mustang with 500hp.
FPV cant get over 290kw's from there 5.4L.
there are much different engineering restrictions in the us , ie what is allowed and "street legal", that is why they can do this
Old 26-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #68
osiris
a large McCrunch with....

Quote:
agreed

Quote:
FLAME SUIT FIRMLY FASTENED....

Old 26-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #69
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simply make it the GT-- R Spec with a big superoo on it and its 375kw and 600 nm V8, blown or NA who cares!
Old 26-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #70
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
It's FORD we're talking about here. They're currently a distant 3rd in the sales race. They need as many sales and buyer empathy as possible.

A "watered down" HO would help to bring back some of that..........the marketing HYPE alone would blow everything else out of the water and focus heaps of attention on FPV. The trickle down effect would be massive even before the car would be released............
A watered down HO would dig the hole deeper, not solve these perceived "issues"..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Anyways , I've stated this before. No matter what FORD or FPV build as a modern day "HO".........none of us here would EVER be satisfied.

If it was faster than a HSV , it's be slower than a BUGATTI Veyron. If it was faster than the VEYRON , it'd be slower than the space shuttle........If it was faster than that, it'd then be slower than the speed of light......... TOO MANY WHINGERS and Datsun Drivers here.

Agree 100%, which is another reason not to drag the HO name out and through the proverbial "mud".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
P.S. The original HO wasn't that ****** hot as a drivers car anyways......according to many excerpts from Allan Moffat et al..........so I guess the comparisons are all made against the impossible hyperboles that have been whispered down from generation to generation....................
The original HO's were plenty fast enough to beat the competition ON THE TRACK, which is all it needed to do.. The rest is history as they say!

Old 26-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #71
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

Trouble with building a HO in 2007 is defining what market you're building it for.

In the early 70s it was easy - they were built to go racing. Same principle applied to XU1, 350 Munroe, E38, E49 etc.

The trouble now with the current BS V8 supercar concept is that the cars on the track bear about as much resemblance to what you buy off the showroom floor as the bowl of cornflakes you had this morning.

So if Ford isn't building a HO to go racing, who are they building it for? Young revheads to go street racing (unlikely), or old farts like me who want a/c, power everything and 200kg of sound deadening.

Either way, it just woudn't be right. Let it be until an opporunity arises to build HOs for what they were meant to do.

IMO the HO name should rest.
Old 26-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #72
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry
Trouble with building a HO in 2007 is defining what market you're building it for.

In the early 70s it was easy - they were built to go racing. Same principle applied to XU1, 350 Munroe, E38, E49 etc.

The trouble now with the current BS V8 supercar concept is that the cars on the track bear about as much resemblance to what you buy off the showroom floor as the bowl of cornflakes you had this morning.

So if Ford isn't building a HO to go racing, who are they building it for? Young revheads to go street racing (unlikely), or old farts like me who want a/c, power everything and 200kg of sound deadening.

Either way, it just woudn't be right. Let it be until an opporunity arises to build HOs for what they were meant to do.

IMO the HO name should rest.
EXACTLY...

Old 26-04-2007, 05:01 PM   #73
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like many others have already said, my heart would love to see the GTHO name re-born, but my head says no. We're in a different time and age now. An age of Euro 3 compliance, of safety and multiple airbags, of refinement and reliability. Of costs and bottom line financial results. We get all stroppy if our diff whines, driveline clunks or if our plastic dashboard panels don't line up to within 3 microns. How many GTHO owners worried about that? Problem is, a modern day HO would cost a small fortune, and if those same issues of driveline shunt, road noise, poor fit and finish occurred people would be screaming about it.

Ford would be on a hiding to nowhere. Even if a sound economic business case could be raised so that a GTHO program didn't leave a trail of red ink all over the shop, how would you ever meet expectations? If it was all ballsy engine and twitchy handling some people would love it, but an equal number would bag it as being "unbalanced; a bugger to drive; tiresome; agricultural....[insert other derogatory adjectives here]". If it handled really well, others would say that the chassis is underpowered and FPV have made a grave error in not giving it 100 more kilowats.

Its a no win situation. Let's face it, enough father to son BS has been spoken about the HO over the last 30 years where everyone sees it through rose coloured glasses, and the bad points of the car have long been ignored or forgotten. Crikey, the diff and driveline probably had the refinement of a combine harvester and the panel fit was probably worse than a Lada Niva but nobody mentions that now. OK, I exaggerate, but you get the drift.

A new HO would be up against the "legend" much more than up against the engineering challenges of building a fast 4 door sedan, and that would be its demise. Leave it be. Let FPV concentrate in bringing us a better GT. When they've got the GT absolutely 100% spot on, then we'll talk again.

Brent.
Old 26-04-2007, 05:01 PM   #74
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To those people who voted for the Ford GT engine the price for one of these is in the 36,000 us price range and it is dry sumped.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=8037

The SVT Cobra engine is 16,000 US list price even if they did get it cheaper its still an expensive part of the car.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9560

I would perfer to buy a GT. get it twin turbo'd , Tein Coil overs and some decent brakes and tyres on it. Yes its not a GT-HO with all the heritage but close enough to be a 2007 version.
Old 26-04-2007, 05:02 PM   #75
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Like many others have already said, my heart would love to see the GTHO name re-born, but my head says no. We're in a different time and age now. An age of Euro 3 compliance, of safety and multiple airbags, of refinement and reliability. Of costs and bottom line financial results. We get all stroppy if our diff whines, driveline clunks or if our plastic dashboard panels don't line up to within 3 microns. How many GTHO owners worried about that? Problem is, a modern day HO would cost a small fortune, and if those same issues of driveline shunt, road noise, poor fit and finish occurred people would be screaming about it.

Ford would be on a hiding to nowhere. Even if a sound economic business case could be raised so that a GTHO program didn't leave a trail of red ink all over the shop, how would you ever meet expectations? If it was all ballsy engine and twitchy handling some people would love it, but an equal number would bag it as being "unbalanced; a bugger to drive; tiresome; agricultural....[insert other derogatory adjectives here]". If it handled really well, others would say that the chassis is underpowered and FPV have made a grave error in not giving it 100 more kilowats.

Its a no win situation. Let's face it, enough father to son BS has been spoken about the HO over the last 30 years where everyone sees it through rose coloured glasses, and the bad points of the car have long been ignored or forgotten. Crikey, the diff and driveline probably had the refinement of a combine harvester and the panel fit was probably worse than a Lada Niva but nobody mentions that now. OK, I exaggerate, but you get the drift.

A new HO would be up against the "legend" much more than up against the engineering challenges of building a fast 4 door sedan, and that would be its demise. Leave it be. Let FPV concentrate in bringing us a better GT. When they've got the GT absolutely 100% spot on, then we'll talk again.

Brent.
Very well said Brent. I'll bet not one of the responders to this thread that want to see this happen actually have the green to buy one! So the point of all this is??
Old 26-04-2007, 05:29 PM   #76
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Maybe not a GTHO, But A GT-R (or somthing), Sorta like the Mustang GT-R concept a few years back. Racing seats Lightweight rims, semi-adjustable suspention, V8 supercar aero, Supercharger...
Old 26-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #77
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You all seem to be forgetting that GTHO was nothing more than a heap of US Ford Motorsport spare parts thown in an Aussie falcon. It wasn't the most highly engineered car of its day or even the fastest. But it was a bunch of go fast bits whacked into a Falcon of the day that went like stink and thats all we want now. The motivation behind such a build may have changed but many of the advantages are still the same. Do people really remember the GTHO P3 because it won bathurst? No plenty of cars won bathurst more than the GTHO P3 but people remember it because it was a brutally powerful car for the day.

If you stir a bit of emotion by whacking two letters at the end of a name then so be it. Selling cars is all about marketing and if you have a hand to play then do so, just do it well.
Old 26-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #78
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_c
To those people who voted for the Ford GT engine the price for one of these is in the 36,000 us price range and it is dry sumped.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=8037

The SVT Cobra engine is 16,000 US list price even if they did get it cheaper its still an expensive part of the car.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9560

I would perfer to buy a GT. get it twin turbo'd , Tein Coil overs and some decent brakes and tyres on it. Yes its not a GT-HO with all the heritage but close enough to be a 2007 version.
LOL how much do you think a reliable twin turbo set up would cost? Remember all the japanese cars that have twin turbo donk's are only supposed to last for 160,000 kms. All the european ones are ridiculously expensive. AFAIK there are a lot cheaper options then that.

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
Old 26-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #79
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ive read afew of your posts not only in this thread but other and alot i dont agree with but this one i surely do.
LET THE GTHO NAME RIP PLEASE.
Old 26-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #80
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Yeh leave it go. It already has a reputation for itself, dont spoil it by the chance of bringing out something ****.
Old 26-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #81
2tufracing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im a massive ford fan but facts are facts and fpv is never..ever.. going to catch up to hsv... its really bad there base model VE SS will blow a top of the range FPV GT-P there useless thats why they need ppl like us to get em going..
FG F6 UTE #327 Orange Poke
XW GS FALCON FOR SALE
Old 26-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #82
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As easy as it would be to make an I6T GTHO, it just wouldn't be right.

Make a 5.4 litre DOHC BOSS V8 + supercharge with 360-380kw and 600-650nm. Charge $95k for it. Don't limit the build numbers. If people want to pay for one, let them (and I'm sure plenty will, just for the name) Make it available with an uprated 6 speed auto and 6 speed manual (the auto sits behing BMW's, Aston Martins, etc so this would not be hard and the manual is proved to cope with big power and torque). Throw in the R-spec suspension package, base it on the GT-P, but call it a "GT-HO" and there's your moddern day GTHO. Bang. Done. Easy. Not hard. Wont disappoint. Will sell and will give Ford plenty of cred.
Old 26-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #83
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

I wonder how many of the punters(Datsun Drivers) here would consider buying one?
Old 26-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #84
Deviateboy
Banned

Hey yeah.....good point ( i think) I gotta Datsun.......
79 Datsun Stanza L16 motor with a four speed and live axle. 79k gen kms...bought it from a lil old lady for 800 and it's SWEET...It's a rocket in the pines...it even has a factory hi-po upgrade...a datsun sticker on the back window the says..."Datsun Rallyability" that's the sorta marketing shite Ford needs to get onto!! ha ha.
But new HO?.......nah unless it was built with rubber floor mats, race buckets...no aircon, no sound deadener no 500kg stereo, no ABS..hmm while I am dreaming....a ford developed, "track", only cat-free, free flow exhaust...put the mustang (new) retro styled mags on (would thos babies fit a ZD or would you have to put BA Hubs on??) it, because after all, the falcon that started it all was mustang bred........
Maybe that's the thing people.......maybe FPV are bringing back the mustang...a good one, without the shoddy swap over.....and a GT badge?
Hmm then I might buy one.....or just move to Canada where the Base V6 stang is $21 000
Old 26-04-2007, 10:11 PM   #85
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

leave the ho name alone.
bring back enthusiasts to the company not just pen pushing shitheads that run ford as it is.

harley davidson have enthusiasts working for them from the production line all the way up to the top and look how they have turned around.

if fpv wanna jam it up hsv's **** they should put the v10 in the engine bay at around 310kw the torque that it will produce will twist the ve back into an fj in seconds!
Old 26-04-2007, 10:22 PM   #86
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
The original HO's were plenty fast enough to beat the competition ON THE TRACK, which is all it needed to do.. The rest is history as they say!
That's my whole point..............without a modern day production racing program, a modern day HO would be judged by a driving public that would most likely complain about tyre noise , diff skip , spartan interior and overly expensive service intervals and poor fuel consumption.

And I'm sure HSV would release a Clubbie 6 months later with 100 more Kw and then we'd all be bagging the hell out of it anyways................

The era now is street cars with street cred.............FPV have a winner and a new beginning with the GT..............concentrate and Focus on that.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 27-04-2007, 01:14 AM   #87
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Sounds dumb I know , but , What was the first successful Ford ever produced ? , the "Model T" , did they ever bring out another "Model T" , no of cause not , it had it's place in Ford History .

GTHO 1 , 2 , and 3 , has it's place in Ford History , leave it there where it should be .

Today's cars are completely different , you can't replace or rewrite History , just get on and leave the past where it is , "In the past" . The only thing that will happen is people will say " It's nothing like the old/original one " , and it wouldn't be .

Move along with the times .

Don't get me wrong , I loved the XW/XY's , but that's where they should stay .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
Old 27-04-2007, 01:43 AM   #88
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was all for the HO returning but after seing Ford couldnt even squeeze out a few more KW on the 40th anniversary GT to match the VE HSVs I dont think Ford have the right to play with a legend.
Old 27-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #89
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Leave the HO name alone... Let it basque in its glory, that it so rightfully deserves....

Ford has done an awesome job on the boss, why not just further develop it?
Old 27-04-2007, 07:05 PM   #90
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
As easy as it would be to make an I6T GTHO, it just wouldn't be right.

Make a 5.4 litre DOHC BOSS V8 + supercharge with 360-380kw and 600-650nm. Charge $95k for it. Don't limit the build numbers. If people want to pay for one, let them (and I'm sure plenty will, just for the name) Make it available with an uprated 6 speed auto and 6 speed manual (the auto sits behing BMW's, Aston Martins, etc so this would not be hard and the manual is proved to cope with big power and torque). Throw in the R-spec suspension package, base it on the GT-P, but call it a "GT-HO" and there's your moddern day GTHO. Bang. Done. Easy. Not hard. Wont disappoint. Will sell and will give Ford plenty of cred.
thats something i would expect if it was going to happen nothing from dreamland but still satisfying....and with some killer factory tyres to shut the journos up when they take it on the track
Closed Thread