Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #61
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VE Commodore named best Australian car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
They obviously forgot that when the GM bosses came out here in 71 they were shocked at how bad the HQ's handling was, even though it was their best selling holden ever.
Yeah they where pretty average drivers, I drove a few of them including a hq statesman, I couldn't believe how badly the statesman drove, an absolute dung box. Fairlane was 10 times better.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #62
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
They obviously forgot that when the GM bosses came out here in 71 they were shocked at how bad the HQ's handling was, even though it was their best selling holden ever.
Shouldn't have surprised them ... the HQ was all Chevy. Had a 64 Impala come into the workshop, years ago when I still played with hand tools, for repairs to a rear lower shock mount. Customers mechanic sent him to us because the lower mount was rattling from a worn bolt seat. Climbed under to make a start..... crikey .. HQ. Easy to fix ... my HQ, and likely every other one on the road, had the same problem.
Old 17-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #63
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
XB sold nowhere near that, I don't think the HQ even sold that many. IIRC the highest selling Falcon was the XF.
According to this Wiki (Yeah I know Wiki isn't best source of info) you're right the XF was the best selling Falcon.

I remember the old man had a white XF sedan, last of the run out ones ('88 model).
Old 17-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #64
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Eldubayu;4701559]

And how the hell did the Charger get in there, they were right up there with the Leyland P76 in handling and poor fit. The steering was like a PS3 game, absolutely no feel.

QUOTE]

well I can say you probably havnt driven a good one because they are actually a good car and handle realy well.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #65
Oldbugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
According to this Wiki (Yeah I know Wiki isn't best source of info) you're right the XF was the best selling Falcon.

I remember the old man had a white XF sedan, last of the run out ones ('88 model).
Total local production of XB Falcon was 212K, KD Export 12K and XF 270K and 12K KD Export.
Oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #66
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XB sold the most in one year, 120xxx something from memory.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #67
Oldbugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32 View Post
XB sold the most in one year, 120xxx something from memory.
In 1974 95K XB were built of which, 6K were for export. XF's best year was 1985 in which 90K were built of which 3K were exported
Old 17-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #68
Eldubayu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
........ Mine has been no trouble at all. Go back and drive your Prado.
Wish I could. But sometimes we HAVE to drive the Terri for work ...... Yuk.
Eldubayu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #69
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
This new award seems rather timely, given the bad news which has been emerging about the Commodore's future in recent days.

A cynic might even think Holden might have asked Wheels for some sort of 'return' on their advertising spend, something which could divert attention away from their current media predicament.
I trust all you conspiracy theorists will have a suitably dismissive attitude towards any positive review of FH Falcon by the media, as a paid GM advertisement? Why it would be a paid advertisement by GM I don't know, but since everything apparently is according to some, then presumably GM will also pay for a good Ford review too. Or will you conveniently forget the media is in GM's pocket if they say something positive about the new Falcon?

Cant have it both ways, so look forward to the "The Falcon can't possibly be that good" stories you will all be writing on this site, should any car magazine or web site dare to like the new FH. As proof, paradoxically, that you aren't in Holden's pocket.

That or the whole conspiracy stuff is mostly baseless, except for one well known auto writer, who isn't liking Ford, Holden, Australian manufacturing or much of anything lately in his quest to get on the front page of news.com.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 17-04-2013 at 02:11 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #70
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbugger View Post
In 1974 95K XB were built of which, 6K were for export. XF's best year was 1985 in which 90K were built of which 3K were exported
Broadies has done over 100k in one year, I am almost positive of it.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #71
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Maybe that was BA/BF + Territory combined?
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #72
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=DanielXR8;4702240]I trust all you conspiracy theorists will have a suitably dismissive attitude towards any positive review of FH Falcon by the media, as a paid GM advertisement? Why it would be a paid advertisement by GM I don't know, but since everything apparently is according to some, then presumably GM will also pay for a good Ford review too. Or will you conveniently forget the media is in GM's pocket if they say something positive about the new Falcon?

./QUOTE]

Look around Daniel .... there's plenty on this forum who are negative of the Falcon.
Old 17-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #73
Oldbugger

Quote:
Hi Gobes32
The figures quoted were for Falcon production only. In 1974 another 12K LWB units were also built. The best year on record is 2004 when 111K units of BA1/LWB, BA2 and SX Territory were built. By contrast, only 37,000 units were built last year the third lowest on record. (1960 with 15K and 1961 with 31K units)
Old 17-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #74
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:

Seriously, this Holden vs Ford rubbish is well and truly in the past, its Aussie vs Imports now.
Holden or not, we need to commend and support Aussie cars as much as we can, because when they are gone they will be gone for good and we will be stuck with a choice of imported 4 cyl buzzboxes and suv's.
you state the clearly obvious...we all know this....but the issue here is how an inferior VE commodore gets best aussie car over the far superior FG falcon. And that's based on many facts not just your Kleenex box of facts
Refer back to my post an refute any of the facts if you wish...because facts don't lie.....but money and agendas seem to win you anything here these days
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #75
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
I trust all you conspiracy theorists will have a suitably dismissive attitude towards any positive review of FH Falcon by the media, as a paid GM advertisement? Why it would be a paid advertisement by GM I don't know, but since everything apparently is according to some, then presumably GM will also pay for a good Ford review too. Or will you conveniently forget the media is in GM's pocket if they say something positive about the new Falcon?

Cant have it both ways, so look forward to the "The Falcon can't possibly be that good" stories you will all be writing on this site, should any car magazine or web site dare to like the new FH. As proof, paradoxically, that you aren't in Holden's pocket.

That or the whole conspiracy stuff is mostly baseless, except for one well known auto writer, who isn't liking Ford, Holden, Australian manufacturing or much of anything lately in his quest to get on the front page of news.com.
and if you don't think sponsers and deals and partnerships don't come with plenty of under the table agendas in this day and age...your total oblivious. Anyone who doesn't live under a rock, has been reading biased wheels and motor reviews for many years...where one week handling is king and the next week its all about power. It ALL revolves around money my friend.
The FG falcon is by far and away the better overall car. There are many many facts awards and good solid non biased reviews that clearly show this.
But they are still built to a budget so im sure anyone will always find something to whinge about. Like how the famously mythed high seating position in fords is unbearable.....like that has anything on the massive pillairs on a VE commodore. Will continue rant if needed
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #76
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
...... and for the VE lovers out there ...... please don't come onto a Ford site and then whinge that the Ford fraternity have a bias towards Fords? THAT gets a bit weird.

!

Would you expect plenty of positive reviews about a Commodore on a Ford Forum?

Personally I think the thread should be laid to rest...It's bound to turn out like all the other threads that have been put up about Commodores and what they have achieved...

Just for your info...I hate both the FG and the VE....The bloody roof line at the door is too low down and I continually smack on head on the door frame....Give me an old pre-80's car any day....

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 17-04-2013 at 05:19 PM.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #77
joeyy17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
But the Falcon isnt Australian
Aparently neither is the VE (according to chev badges/holdenowners)
Old 17-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #78
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The HQ was one of the worst handling car's Holden ever made. Just because they sold heaps of them does that suddenly make it good?

It was proven to be such a dog handler by subsequent RTS models that had a heap of work on the suspension to try to fix the shocking handling.

As for the VE, Holden must get at least something in return for the huge amount of money they spend advertising in Wheels, all those page 2 and 3 full page ads don't come cheap, neither do the Holden calenders Wheels packs into one issue every year. The VE deserves it's place in the top 10 but not number 1.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #79
Night

So many people have misunderstood how this was judged, if it was purely on how good the car itself was then a 1948 and a 71 Holden plus a 1934 Ford ute in the top ten? come on! it wasn't judged on that it was judged on what it has achieved, the VE went global with it's platform what has the FG done? The Monaro started the export again for Aussie cars, the Ford ute started a new era, the XR GT Falcon again was a killer. These cars are all here because of what the achieved outside of being just a car, those that want to bag the list please tell us your top ten then?

Last edited by Night; 17-04-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Night is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #80
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden camira was a top seller too. don't see too many people claiming how "great" they where.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #81
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

235990 AU falcons built!!!
3 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #82
Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
Holden camira was a top seller too. don't see too many people claiming how "great" they where.
What did the camira achieve in the scheme of things compared to the cars on that list?
Old 17-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #83
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
What did the camira achieve in the scheme of things compared to the cars on that list?

Camira sold well which is the point. just because a car sells well doesn't mean its a good car.
Old 17-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #84
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So many people have misunderstood how this was judged, if it was purely on how good the car itself was then a 1948 and a 71 Holden plus a 1934 Ford ute in the top ten? come on! it wasn't judged on that it was judged on what it has achieved, the VE went global with it's platform what has the FG done? The Monaro started the export again for Aussie cars, the Ford ute started a new era, the XR GT Falcon again was a killer. These cars are all here because of what the achieved outside of being just a car, those that want to bag the list please tell us your top ten then?
I'm still yet too see what special about the HQ holden?? the VE did well global didn't it. Pontiac G8 was a flop
Old 17-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #85
Night

The FG went global did it? Give us some cars you'd rate top ten and tell us why, please I'd like to hear you give us something other than bagging. In regards to the HQ give us some other models that did so well in that period, remembering the HQ was still the biggest production model numbers wise until the last decade I think. Whether it was a great car or a dud it had some impact on the car market.
Old 17-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #86
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
The FG went global did it? Give us some cars you'd rate top ten and tell us why, please I'd like to hear you give us something other than bagging. In regards to the HQ give us some other models that did so well in that period, remembering the HQ was still the biggest production model numbers wise until the last decade I think. Whether it was a great car or a dud it had some impact on the car market.
Who cares if the FG went global or not? 'Best' doesn't mean exported because it was the best? What are we (or magazine) talking about in the article? I thought it was titled the 'BEST'? .... or is it the "MOST SIGNIFICANT"? .... "MOST IMPACT?" .... "MOST SOLD?" ......"MOST POPULAR?"

I think some are getting a little bit sidetracked on what the article was trying to say? "BEST" is very different to "MOST IMPACT"

If that was the case, the XA PH1V would be the number 1 MOST IMPACT in my books ..... changed an entire industry direction within months of just rumors never to be seen again! Killed a market that was booming at the time What about the Ford Capri? Based on exports .... that went places? How about the XF for Most sold per year? Its up there!

So many categories for Wheels to cover in the coming additions I am sure!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #87
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

so did the AU ute but you don't here any mention of that do you??? AU-BA utes where a very big hit. the AU ute was an instant hit because of its cab chassis option and the fact you could swap the style side box for trayback and vice versa and its 6 cylinder and V8 power. what was around at the time in the 2 wheel drive ute market that was like it?? the award was best Australian car. not what Australian car had the most impact now was it??? what everyone who is against the award result is annoyed about is the fact that the current FG falcon is a better car. heres a hint: go and drive them both. you will soon find out why people like myself are upset. I can honestly say i'd rather a camry over the 3L commodore V6 VE. funny thing is to the falcon still gets better fuel economy with its larger 6 cylinder. I can think of a lot of better cars then the HQ. even back then and now. I have a right too comment. I've owned kingswoods before. heres another example. what was the most popular falcon ever sold to date?? the XF. it had a lot of influence on people at the time too. the large sedan crowd. the holden commodore wasn't a large car at the time was it. do you think that might have something too do with why it was successful. yet why isn't this mentioned?? while you can go and judge a car by how well it sells. I am a person that takes into account what the car drives like and experience from owning them. I stoped making list when I was in high school
Old 17-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #88
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
Who cares if the FG went global or not? 'Best' doesn't mean exported because it was the best? What are we (or magazine) talking about in the article? I thought it was titled the 'BEST'? .... or is it the "MOST SIGNIFICANT"? .... "MOST IMPACT?" .... "MOST SOLD?" ......"MOST POPULAR?"

I think some are getting a little bit sidetracked on what the article was trying to say? "BEST" is very different to "MOST IMPACT"

If that was the case, the XA PH1V would be the number 1 MOST IMPACT in my books ..... changed an entire industry direction within months of just rumors never to be seen again! Killed a market that was booming at the time What about the Ford Capri? Based on exports .... that went places? How about the XF for Most sold per year? Its up there!

So many categories for Wheels to cover in the coming additions I am sure!
I wish there was no supercar scare. I'd love too see the phase 4s on the track against the V8 XU1 holden had plans for.
Old 18-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #89
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Like how the famously mythed high seating position in fords is unbearable.....like that has anything on the massive pillairs on a VE commodore.
I've never understood this. Both WHEELS and MOTOR never mentioned it when FG launched. Now, you can't read an FG article without them mentioning it's ergonomic flaws, high seating position, and poor fit and finish.

From what I've found, the seating position isn't much different between the two, but FG seats are softer and more comfortable (in my opinion) the leather seats in VE's feel like Hungry Jacks benches.

Ergonomic flaws; VE handbrake, A-pillar and poor rearward visibility come to mind...

Fit and finish. FG's aren't the best, but at least they don't have that 'tackle box' feel about them. The plastic marks easy and the texture has a tendency to retain dust and dirt.

*end rant
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #90
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Where the car is made or what brand it is is everything.
Its the car culture we all follow.
Or else go drive white camry's

Hate japanese for copying everything and taking food out of the mouths of western workers. reason enough.
I will agree to the point that part of the car culture is a certain degree of 'badge snobbery', which is why I find the concept of doing away with decades of Ford v Holden rivalry bizarre.

This is the Ford forums, after all, and people will naturally be biased towards Fords. I will choose to buy a Ford over a Holden any day of the week and twice on Sundays. A Ford is a Ford no matter where it's made.

Quote:
Is that meant to be a joke?

VW's reputation for quality and reliability is woeful, perhaps you should do a google search and see the long list of owner complaints. Give me a Commo/Falcon any day.
I didn't mention anything about reliability. I said build quality. They are two different things.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post