Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-01-2008, 01:13 AM   #61
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR.
TI know our F-series volumes were minuscule by world standards, but surely it doesn't cost that much money in overall terms to engineer the F-truck for RHD markets?
Belive it or not, it does cost a lot to engineer any vehicle even for just the Australian market.

One of my biggest gripes for instance is Lexus Aus's failure to launch the IS350 out here (despite having the IS250) - apparently the engine needs emissions compliance that their not quite willing to do.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 03:10 AM   #62
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
CownVic and Falc should be at most be a reskin, but why not the same car - it would be cool if the ubiquitous american police car (now a CrownVic) was also the car you drive - great for Brand Recognition.
Want to know how much money has been spent since 1998 trying to distance the Falcon brand from this sort of brand recognition?

I wish Gorman the best of luck as it must have been a big step deciding to move out of an industry that has served him well over the years. It will be very interesting to see how FoA will be run under Osborne...interesting times ahead!
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #63
JR.
Once more with feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Belive it or not, it does cost a lot to engineer any vehicle even for just the Australian market.
Yet they did it with the last lot of Brazillian built examples they imported, and Ford are spending $1 Billion dollars in Brazil on new product and facilities over the next decade...
Old 18-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #64
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

In the longer term I doubt that history will view the tenure of Tom Gorman with any great fondness and one would have to wonder how much of the decision to leave the blue oval is his and how much was persuasion.

I love the media articles that have stated it as a surprise move - it's been on the cards for months and you hardly needed a crystal ball or a deck of Tarot cards to see it coming.

Regardless of all that we wish him well in his new endeavours and perhaps he will find a niche where blandness spin doctoring are welcomed.

The new appointment is a good choice from all that I've read. With skills in multiple disciplines and an excellent rep in Canada behind him he could well be just what FoA needs over the next few years. Now, if he can manage to clean out some of the long term dead wood out at Campbellfield he may have a chance of actually achieving something during his time here.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #65
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I wonder if he jumped or was he pushed. One article said that with the reshuffling of appointments Gorman was left without a job to go to, so it seems like he was forced out. Don't let the door hit you in the a on the way out Tom. :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #66
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

bring back Bill Bourke

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #67
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

^^^ ....hahaha from the dead?
Old 18-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #68
AusM
AusMotorsport

The strange thing is, is that Tommy G was the second longest serving Ford Aus president! 4 years - he extended his 3 year contract by one! Must be a tough industry at that level. We can just hope though that the leaving is not due to any perceived failures (in the Orion project in particular) by other Ford management...
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #69
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
^^^ ....hahaha from the dead?
Weekend at Burnies style. Even dead he could probably do a better job than Tom.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #70
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Whilst I do respect the opinions of the members here. Speaking ill of someone that put their heart and soul into being a major part of such a massive company as Ford is a little on the distasteful side to say the least.
We need to remember that he has been a part of a big organisation, and as such would have been charged with implementing (and being seen to fully support) certain decisions that may not have been fully to his liking in order to ensure future success.
What many people today see as four years of mistakes / hard cuts, may one day be viewed as 4 years worth of major reforms that instead allowed FoA to suceed in the future. One era's tyrant, can quite easily be seen as next years vissionary.
I would like to add my name to the growing list of people wishing Tom the very best for his future endeavours.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #71
AusM
AusMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
hope he has 98 RON running through his veins
Maybe 93 or 95... They don't get pump 98 in US/Canada! Maybe someone from Japan (100) or GB (102) would be better? :P
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #72
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

I dont understand why everyone is bagging Tom? What did he do wrong exactly?

He was running a company that couldn't market its products to save itself, its bread and butter is stale; and the automotive market has gone through massive changes over that time.

The death of the Fairlane is nothing to be sad about, if GM didn't think smarter and secure exports then there would be no Statesman.

Orion will be a hit, and he wont be there to see it out; id be spewing and would try and hang around for a for more months atleast.

The new guy sounds interesting, and I agree it will be a good change.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #73
JR.
Once more with feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

He was running a company that couldn't market its products to save itself, its bread and butter is stale; and the automotive market has gone through massive changes over that time.
I believe Harry Truman said it best when he put the sign on his desk that proclaimed "The Buck Stops Here."

Tom was the guy in charge, so he should rightly be held responsible for those failures. FoA was going gangbusters when uncle Geoff was here; he rebuilt the company after the disaster that was AU, and as a reward for what he did to turn around the company they sent him to Europe and he helped turn around the profitability of FoE, then Jag and LR.

Gorman even had a bigger range to work with with Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, Territory Turbo, XR4, XR5 Turbo and Ranger yet Ford haven't even managed to hold market share - they've hemorrhaged sales...

Some people have asked was Gorman pushed or did he jump? Ultimately it doesn't matter, he may have seen the writing on the wall and left before they could can him - the fact that he was extended out here when FoA was sinking into one of it's worst sales performances shows you don't get a pat on the back and a promotion up the corporate ladder on the back of two consecutive failures in senior management positions...
Old 20-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #74
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I will say one thing,

Reintroducing the Mondeo was a good idea. Probably wont show divdends until long after he is gone though.
Old 20-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #75
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

The death of the Fairlane is nothing to be sad about, if GM didn't think smarter and secure exports then there would be no Statesman.

Orion will be a hit, and he wont be there to see it out; id be spewing and would try and hang around for a for more months atleast.

The new guy sounds interesting, and I agree it will be a good change.
We apparently have "world class" cars with the BF range of vehicles, so why do we not export the Typhoon, GT/P , Tornado range of vehicles. Perhaps Mr Gorman could elaborate for us!!! :
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #76
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
We apparently have "world class" cars with the BF range of vehicles, so why do we not export the Typhoon, GT/P , Tornado range of vehicles. Perhaps Mr Gorman could elaborate for us!!! :
oath they'd sell like hot cakes guaranteed :eclipsee_

Last edited by wulos; 20-01-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary pottymouthing
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #77
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapeworm
oath they'd sell like hot cakes guaranteed :eclipsee_

I doubt it, just looked at the sales figures for the Monero in the UK. 2006 it sold an underwhelming 251 cars. So if they introduced the Falcon there it would probably be lucky to sell, I dunno 150. It failed to inspire South Africans as well, and as we all know nobody wants to test out the left hand drive markets

Last edited by wulos; 20-01-2008 at 05:08 PM.
irlewy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #78
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
I doubt it, just looked at the sales figures for the Monero in the UK. 2006 it sold an underwhelming 251 cars. So if they introduced the Falcon there it would probably be lucky to sell, I dunno 150. It failed to inspire South Africans as well, and as we all know nobody wants to test out the left hand drive markets
Mate, I am not too sure about exporting to Europe &/ or S.A. but most of the American websites adore our FPV range of vehicles. Apart from conversion to LHD, what would be so hard to export them. The market is there, checkout the US websites.!!! :
Old 20-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #79
wizardy
fairmont xb hardtop

your forgetting that in europe they cant afford to run anything over 50cc due to fule costs.
a friend went to italy back in the 90's and it was 2.50au a p/l then so the us is the only place that they could market it any way besides that we are destined to get the euro trash donks any way go the greenies(not).
Old 20-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #80
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
Mate, I am not too sure about exporting to Europe &/ or S.A. but most of the American websites adore our FPV range of vehicles. Apart from conversion to LHD, what would be so hard to export them. The market is there, checkout the US websites.!!! :

They say they love it but have you seen the price of the US dollar. They can pick up a Mustang for 22k, why would they want to splash out 30k for a Falcon?
Old 20-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #81
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They say they love it but have you seen the price of the US dollar. They can pick up a Mustang for 22k, why would they want to splash out 30k for a Falcon?
Err, probably because it has the look, style, & creature comforts & workmanship of something they have never experienced before. (Apologies to Mr Carroll Shelby) :hihi:
Old 20-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #82
JR.
Once more with feeling

Quote:
Mustang may look pretty, but you obviously haven't driven one. The Falcon's got it all over Mustang when it comes to chassis dynamics, not to mention build quality materials finish...
Old 20-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #83
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR.
Mustang may look pretty, but you obviously haven't driven one. The Falcon's got it all over Mustang when it comes to chassis dynamics, not to mention build quality materials finish...

Yep and the Yanks can obviously tell the difference
Old 20-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #84
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Check the specs of Mustangs.. They are the Hyundai of Ford cars .. Cheap run around cars... NO IRS etc etc...
Before you go on about what they pay over there? Check what they pay for similar spec cars...For example the GTO....
http://autotrader.autos.msn.com/find...istings-header
They are second hand 06 models...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #85
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Are you serious 34k for a second hand Monaro. Brand new Mustang GT 27k.......And then of course you go shopping at the zillions of Mustang performance suppliers

Falcon isn't ecconomical they looked, they tried and now they are just using the engineering expertise to design a better car for North America. Everyone wins!
Old 20-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #86
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool

Quote:
Are you serious 34k for a second hand Monaro. Brand new Mustang GT 27k.......And then of course you go shopping at the zillions of Mustang performance suppliers

Falcon isn't ecconomical they looked, they tried and now they are just using the engineering expertise to design a better car for North America. Everyone wins!
What,s the going rate for a current Saleen Mustang? eg leather, steer, fast glass, climate control, suspension & tyre package, cruise control, tinted glass ,etc? :hihi:
Old 20-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #87
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

The Mustang's I drove over there in 05 were like our old 70' Cortina's when it came to handling and fuel economy!! Especially the crappy 6 cylinder...
The Crown Victoria is the equivalent car to Falcon...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #88
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR.
Tom was the guy in charge, so he should rightly be held responsible for those failures. FoA was going gangbusters when uncle Geoff was here; he rebuilt the company after the disaster that was AU, and as a reward for what he did to turn around the company they sent him to Europe and he helped turn around the profitability of FoE, then Jag and LR.
Bear in mind that Geoff was lucky to have a large car segment that was still healthy, cheap fuel and a parent in the US that had cash to rescue its Australian operations.

None of those elements exist today.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #89
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

Aus $ = .50 US$ - Maybe it could happen
Aus $ = .90 US$ - Only complete "Exporting Australian RWD expertise to the World" try-hards like Holden will try it, which means that profits and losses rely soley on the Australian Dollar. WHO WOULD DO SUCH A GAMBLE!

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #90
HSE2

Who are we going to blame this on?

http://yahoo.drive.com.au/Editorial/...rticleID=47530
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post