Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #61
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: LEATHER SEATS!!!!! yes/no ???

im not keen on full leather cause it burns ya when you wear shorts, my BAxr8 has leather on the bolsters and some dot type material on the seat and i love them.................as a side point i dont sniff my seats, but it looks like we have got alot of seat snifffers???? surelly smell like *** in the summer??
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #62
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash again
as a side point i dont sniff my seats, but it looks like we have got alot of seat snifffers???? surelly smell like *** in the summer??
We have also got someone who can't spell!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #63
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash again
im not keen on full leather cause it burns ya when you wear shorts, my BAxr8 has leather on the bolsters and some dot type material on the seat and i love them.................as a side point i dont sniff my seats, but it looks like we have got alot of seat snifffers???? surelly smell like *** in the summer??
Is Troy Buswell a member is he ?
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #64
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

our ba had tan coloured leather, nice but didnt age too well because the creases do show up after many years(only on drivers seat though). when we were looking for our current territory, it definately had to have leather. 2008 model and black leather still looks brand new. especially with kids in the car all the time, wipe 'em clean and theyre like new again.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #65
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

When I had my AU Fairmont Ghia I conditioned the leather about once a month and it always came up black as the ace of spades and looked brand spankers.

Swapped to cloth seats in the VY SV8 and it's just not the same, spill anything and you have to sit there with the carpet cleaner scrubbing away.

Made sure I got leather in the FG and it's back to living the dream. Comfy, easy to clean, easy to maintain. Why would you not get something that only requires a damp cloth to wipe away anything you spill?
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #66
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like leather but that rubbish holden and ford use may as well be vinyl as it's rubbish and i would prefer the old vinyl as it last longer.
True leather will not sweat or be cold or hot ever.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #67
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
We have a beige, a red and a black leather trim at home at the moment.
I feel that the Blue Vinyl is the most impressive trim you have!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #68
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

I don't care really.

Have decent quality leather in the Kizashi which is great and Fabric in the GT
Both have their pros and cons.

Maintenance for both is the key.

I still have fond memories of the sierra tan fabric interior in my old ESP......it was amazing and one of the best looking interiors FOA have put together.

If I had to choose though.........well.......I'd have to err on the side of Fabric.
Easier to live with when HOT or COLD. ( although the Kizashi does have those awesome heated seats )

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #69
Johnnyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by X000BOSS
our ba had tan coloured leather, nice but didnt age too well because the creases do show up after many years(only on drivers seat though).
Have a look here:

http://ppcco.com.au/results.htm

As opposed to common suggestion and after having lots of cars with leather interiors (from Doeskin Jag to black individual BM 5 series and a few in between) I found the lighter colours better with kids as the blacks tend to show dirt and scrapes more. The lighter colours will show discolouration from clothes rubbing, but this is easily wiped off during regular care. At least it doesn't look "dirty" all the time like black (the same as exterior colours I guess). Just my 2c.

J
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #70
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For re-sale yes. The problem is though, I sweat like a mofo and I find I usually have a wet back if it's a hot day until the air con can change things
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #71
doktoravalanche

Leather every time, wears better, looks better..............
doktoravalanche is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #72
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never owned a car with leather seats, so I suppse I'm not really qualified to judge, but I do love the look, feel and smell of a car with leather interior. When I was buying the BF a few years back I would've bought a Fairmont Ghia if I could afford it, but I couldn't, so I settled for the Fairmont. I do like velour, though, just not as much as leather

So, to answer the question, yes, absolutely. I would get a car with leather seats if I could.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #73
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leather is great but has to be looked after.

Do yourself a favour and get cloth from factory then find a good trimmer and get the leather done aftermarket.

100% better leather used on ALL the seat not just the face of it and cheap vinyl on the sides and back.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #74
gtfpv
GT

after 6 months of owner ship i now vote NO . . After leather novalty wears off . i can honestly say , they are just seats with a different covering . my experience with cloth seats as they arent slippery , you dont have to worry about your wallet or keys stretching them , as you do with leather , and leather needs to be maintained with care , not to mention the quality , certainly not high . i havent seen an fg GT without leather they all seem to have it , thank god i didnt pay for it . all of them i have seen including mine the covering have stretched .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #75
Miss_XR6

I have had leather in my past 2 cars and my current and wouldnt go back
In summer the seat can be hot if you leave it in the sun ect but that doesnt faze me
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #76
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on the climate. In Melbourne, they're great. In hotter summers, I can't imagine liking them. I wouldn't get leather for here in Idaho. Freezes your butt off in the winter. Seat comfort for me is more about back support. It can have the nicest leather in the world, but it doesn't make it comfortable to sit on for a few hours.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #77
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Depends on the climate. In Melbourne, they're great. In hotter summers, I can't imagine liking them. I wouldn't get leather for here in Idaho. Freezes your butt off in the winter. Seat comfort for me is more about back support. It can have the nicest leather in the world, but it doesn't make it comfortable to sit on for a few hours.
i dont want to whinge about fpv here . because our performance cars are cheap in comparison to others ( in this country anyhow) . i have a friend with an AU3 XR6 with leather (2001 model) and the seats are like lounge chair leather today , i'll over look todays FG leather .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #78
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Ive had XR6 Turbos with cloth and leather. I prefer leather but there are negatives.

Leather is easier to slide in and out of which i like. Easier to clean. Cloth absorbs everything.

Leather absorbs the ambient temp more, so if its freezing or super hot when u enter your car your butt and legs will feel that temp!! Can be nasty in summer. Cold for a few minutes in winter too.

Cashmere leather is the go! Ignore twits who say its harder to keep clean, at least u can see it clean when it is. And dust doesnt show up on cashmere.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #79
BaraFGXR6

Its a no for me.
Whilst it is nice in the right climate, they superheat in summer and take a long time to cool down. Another down side is when wearing footy shorts or a single top (yeah i sound like a real yobo now..) you tend to get sticky against the leather.
Another bad thing i hate about leather is when i goto the beach i use a towel on the seat after im done. With leather, the towel never stays put and tends to slide all over the place.
I more prefer the felt/swede material of the high class Mercedes over leather any day.
2012 Navara STX manual - sold.
2013 Focus ST - sold.
2015 XLS ranger auto - sold.
2017 VW Golf work car.. current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I'm going to convert my turbo to NA, just to see your head explode.
BaraFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #80
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

never had leather, not even a couch in the house, never really liked it

sat in the G6ET with the dark leather and instantly fell in love with it
a good window tint and a sun shade should keep them protected
bit of a clean and conditioner every two or so months to get some moisture into them.

very happy with the leather
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #81
Dusty1
Giddy up!

With kids I wouldn't have anything else.

I do find the leather in the Territory is a bit more saggy than that in my Mondeo. The European leather just seems to be of a higher quality.

Never had an issue with hot seats as the car is hot.

My XR has cloth and it feels a bit more soft than the Territory but I'd still go for leather.

Each to their own though.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #82
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i have a friend with an AU3 XR6 with leather (2001 model) and the seats are like lounge chair leather today , i'll over look todays FG leather .
have heard that there has been a noticeable decline over the last few years. i'd still take leather over no in most cases, but only for good quality stuff (cant fault whats in our Freelander2, or in the GTI we used to have).

Is HSV's any better?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #83
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

got 2 cars with leather, i like em , ones 11 year old the other is 22 year old, for their age still quiet good nick, no rips or tears, only slight signs of ageing.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #84
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leather for me, yes it gets hot in the summer, but a blast with the aircon soon solves that. We have kids and a dog and the mess just wipes off and smells like new again
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #85
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The leather in the BA GT-P I had was really good, the seats held their shape. Only problem was the right hand bolster on the drivers seat which copped a bit of scraping.

We have leather in the Territory; it's not of real good quality but with having children in the back it comes up pretty good with vacuuming and a rub with a wet chamois.

I have thought about if leather was optional on a car I was considering, that I might just take it with the cloth and then get the leather done by a motor trimmer. I think the leather was a $2000+ option on the GT-P.
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #86
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

The subaru Liberty Im about to get has leather, its the first car I have ever owned with this level of luxury. I dont have kids, I dont sweat down there very much at all. I dont have pets. Only time it sees sun is when I drive it to work. I intend on using a sun shade in summer, and conditioning the leather with some quality products monthly.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #87
scottyg938
Stock Boss

I love my leather seats, when it comes time to buy my next car if it doesn't have leather i won't be looking at it.
The seats in the xr have enough support so you don't slide around through corners, just when your hopping in and out try avoid sitting on the side support so it doesn't wear and lose its shape

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
scottyg938 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #88
lethal66

i wouldn't have anything else.
lethal66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #89
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see FPV's for sale with leather and when the cars have a few KM's up the seats look like crap.
The leather looks loose, it has major creases and does nothing to make you think that ticking the leather option is a good move in the long term.

At least with cloth you know what your getting, cloth seems to age a lot better then FVP leather.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #90
Buntz
Straight Eight

So it also depends on the make of the car, as to the quality and longevity of the leather. But, in the Fords at least, not sure about all leather but I believe it to be, there is that annoying leather squeak whenever you move in your seat. Kind of like a fart sound. You might like that if you're a big kid. Irritating noises irritate me I'm afraid.