Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2015, 12:00 AM   #61
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Toyota has revealed a new-look LandCruiser ahead of its local debut in October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Rocky Caravan Show today Dodge Ram Laramie dual cab dual rear wheels 6.7 Cummings diesel $135 k on road. What a tank/truck !!!
Had one in my workshop a few weeks ago:

Its a Laramie but just the 2500 dual cab single rear with 6.7L Cummins 6BT, its rated towing capacity is 7.5 tonnes.

Also an older F250, a fair few people are rocking the American utes out here now.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2015, 02:25 AM   #62
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota has revealed a new-look LandCruiser ahead of its local debut in October.

So, ANOTHER "Rugged Offroad Vehicle" that you can't afford to take offroad???
Old 24-08-2015, 05:23 AM   #63
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow I wonder what the engine weight and torque rating for that RAM is?
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #64
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Big Damo..its an awsome truck!! Need a good bank balance to run it, Salesman said "it can tow 5.0 tonnes but needs air brakes to tow 7.5tonnes." win Lotto its a case off "you can tell the men from boys by the size of their toys !!" also electric tailgate and electric slide out bed is another $5k..
Old 24-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
Wow I wonder what the engine weight and torque rating for that RAM is?
Torque is 1220NM, power is 287KW and if its anything like my Cummins 6BT I had (I had the older 5.9L variant), the engine itself will weigh around 500kg odd.

Its not that bad on fuel, it does about 13L/100km on the highway which is what the owner was telling me.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #66
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
That front looks very Everest
Previous Model Kluger has similar, when I first saw Everest pics I thought they copied the Toyota.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #67
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Torque is 1220NM, power is 287KW and if its anything like my Cummins 6BT I had (I had the older 5.9L variant), the engine itself will weigh around 500kg odd.

Its not that bad on fuel, it does about 13L/100km on the highway which is what the owner was telling me.
makes any of the Jap stuff look a bit gutless and heavy on fuel for the small capacity engines they use
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #68
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB View Post
Final price of $57k for a brand new ttdv8 cruiser.
And I'm sure someone got a Cayenne for a song, doesn't mean anyone is going to start calling it awesome value.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2015, 02:10 PM   #69
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
And I'm sure someone got a Cayenne for a song, doesn't mean anyone is going to start calling it awesome value.
If they got it for $57k it would be.

My point was, that there are always deals to be had in most cases.

You can always get a deal better than the RRP.

Excluding rare or hard to get vehicles...
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #70
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I like the looks, holds that tough 4WD look of Cruisers from the past, looks better than the new Shape Patrol, and I'm a Nissan man through and through, still over priced though
Old 24-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #71
Pilko FNQ

Here is my 2 cents from someone who has lived in Weipa on Cape York for the last 14 years. I would estimate 50% of the four wheel vehicles up here are Toyota. Landcruiser, Prado and Hilux. The other 50% are Nissan patrol, Mazda BT50, Mitsubishi triton and Pajero etc. I myself have a 100 series turbo diesel cruiser. I've done many many high cruising speed dirt km up and down the peninsular development road in a number of different vehicles. I would take my cruiser any day. It does not have a squeak or rattle in it. Simply....they hold together and feel very stable on the dirt. This is also why the bauxite mine run all Toyota as well. 240 hilux's and cruisers. In saying that take it easy and most vehicles will do the job....except if you make the mistake of bringing a jeep up here.......they are soon for sale.
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #72
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

What happens to the Jeeps?
Old 24-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #73
Pilko FNQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302 View Post
Someone buys it cheap, gives it to his missus to drive to the shops and school.
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2015, 09:54 PM   #74
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302 View Post
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2015, 10:14 PM   #75
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrich View Post
In most cases Toyota trades on its name and perceived realiability and not much else. Bar the Landcruiser not many of their cars are anywhere near the top of their respective classes. This includes Yaris, Corolla, Rav4, Kluger, Camry to say the least.

The Landcruiser seems to be a good car still but for me its overpriced for the specification levels,particularly in the lower spec cars. (the new patrol is the same, hence Nissan chopped 30k of the RRP recently).

Both the Patrol, Landcruiser and LX570 are ugly in my eyes but the new Infiniti QX80 outclasses them all when it comes to being one of the ugliest cars on sale at the moment.

2014 sales results
Toyota sold 203,501 and were number 1
Guess how vehicle number 2 sold 106,092
That is nearly double.

Toyota had 3 vehicles in the top ten. The only other manufacturer to have more than one vehicle in the top 10 was Mazda.

The Corolla beat the Mazda 3 and I30
The Hilux beat the Ranger and BT50
The Camry beat whatever its competitor is as is wasn't in the top 10
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #76
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I buy a 4wd (and I would like to in the near future) it'll probably be a cruiser.
Maybe not this one, but the Bundera we had as a kid was awesome. My brother drove around the country in a 60 series without a problem. I don't care if it doesn't do 0-100 in sub 10 seconds or doesn't corner like a sports car.

Don't much care if it's ugly either.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2015, 08:34 PM   #77
esppwr

Why anyone would drop around 200k on a 4wd & caravan is beyond me. Towwing a 3.5t box is not fun in any vehicle. The fuel bill would be enormous and I couldn't think of anything more boring to do with 200k. Then to top it off you still pay site fees at a caravan parks.

I guess it gives the retirees something to do.

Land cruisers and similar cars are needed by some tradies and farmers in the outback, but in suburbia they are not practical at all. If you want to go four wheel driving by a 25 year 4wd, make it mechanically sound and register it on a club permit. Then you can have all the fun you like, can still get to work on Monday and don't have to deal with the huge depreciation.
esppwr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #78
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esppwr View Post
Why anyone would drop around 200k on a 4wd & caravan is beyond me. Towwing a 3.5t box is not fun in any vehicle. The fuel bill would be enormous and I couldn't think of anything more boring to do with 200k. Then to top it off you still pay site fees at a caravan parks.

Land cruisers and similar cars are needed by some tradies and farmers in the outback, but in suburbia they are not practical at all. If you want to go four wheel driving by a 25 year 4wd, make it mechanically sound and register it on a club permit. Then you can have all the fun you like, can still get to work on Monday and don't have to deal with the huge depreciation.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2015, 10:20 PM   #79
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post
2014 sales results
Toyota sold 203,501 and were number 1
Guess how vehicle number 2 sold 106,092
That is nearly double.

Toyota had 3 vehicles in the top ten. The only other manufacturer to have more than one vehicle in the top 10 was Mazda.

The Corolla beat the Mazda 3 and I30
The Hilux beat the Ranger and BT50
The Camry beat whatever its competitor is as is wasn't in the top 10
Mcdonalds sold the most burgers last year too.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2015, 01:00 AM   #80
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

personally i don't mind having the big box with wheels on the back , if you have a good tow vehicle and its set up well after a while you don't even notice its there, yes it does take a bit of concentration, but you get used to it.
as for paying site fees, i like the idea of road trip, camping areas , rest areas , out of the way places , road trip rocks the house .
Its a big lot of preparation and hard work getting prepared for it, but once done , road trip ......it is awesome mate.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2015, 06:11 AM   #81
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Territory will do the job as a tow vehicle just as well and moreover will be a good and safe road car that can be used on the highway and around town quite justifiably. The Landcruiser is simply a truck for farmers and the mining industry but unfortunately a lot of other people think they have to have one.
Old 26-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #82
BA Supa Pursuit

My 2 cents worth:

We had a territory Sx Ghia as the family wagon. Drove fantastically but:

The door lock actuators failed one by one. (Anything from $200 to $440 to fix each).

The diff bushes failed (forget exactly how much that cost me).

The tailgate was a poor fit and leaked dust and rubbed through the body paint.

The fog light fell out.

Local mechanic informed me that a diff seal was on the way out and would need replacing soon.

Went straight to Toyota and bought a Base model kluger with AWD and 7 seats four years ago. In those four years not one issue, recall or warranty matter.

AU XR8 sedan, Tickford optioned body kit & wheels, Galaxy blue, auto, pedders suspension, mild cam, headers, full system. (Weekend ride)

Previous Fords:

BA mk2 FPV Super Pursuit, manual, Mercury, Herrod cams, shaker, di-fillipo system.

BA mk1 XR8 sedan, auto, silhouette, leather, premium sound, 18" speedy wheels, cat back system.

SX Territory, silhouette, 7 seats RWD.
BA Supa Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #83
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a Y62 Patrol... I drove a 200 TTD and Prado back to back - TTD went better than the Prado (as expected), but i wasn't overly impressed, maybe i expected too much - especially considering the price.

From that i started looking at what the Patrol had to offer, was not interested in the 3L diesel. I had a look on carsales and noticed the top of the line Y62 with the 298kw and 560nm of torque and a 5.6L V8 petrol which was reduced from ~120k to driveaway prices of about 77k. Took one for a drive, and the rest is history. The bottom of the range model was about 55k. A second hand sahara 200 with 20,000km on the clock was still asking near on 100k.

Goes bloody awesome, 0-100 in about 6.5sec and some of the guys are starting to mod them now with good results. I changed the centre muffler to a magnaflow and it sounds nice a deep.

Driving around town i average about 15L-17L/100. The wife driving with kid drop offs etc is about 19-20L/100 (this is with 33" Nitto trail grappler MT tyres). Coming back from QLD and not holding back i averaged 13L/100.

Aftermarket wheels, bullbar and tyres have transformed the look of the car - i was a bit hesitant with the standard look at first, but with the mods it looks great.
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #84
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Supa Pursuit View Post
My 2 cents worth:

The door lock actuators failed one by one. (Anything from $200 to $440 to fix each).

The fog light fell out.

Local mechanic informed me that a diff seal was on the way out and would need replacing soon.

Went straight to Toyota and bought a Base model kluger with AWD and 7 seats four years ago. In those four years not one issue, recall or warranty matter.
I think I would rather drive a car with bits falling off than drive a Kluger. I enjoy driving too much thanks, I'm not ready to turn up my toes and give up yet!

All I can say is that we had two Territorys over 11 years and the only issue (that wasn't rectified for free by Ford) was the bushes. The Territorys were very reliable.
Old 26-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #85
BA Supa Pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
I think I would rather drive a car with bits falling off than drive a Kluger. I enjoy driving too much thanks, I'm not ready to turn up my toes and give up yet!

All I can say is that we had two Territorys over 11 years and the only issue (that wasn't rectified for free by Ford) was the bushes. The Territorys were very reliable.
It's the family car, driven by my wife and kids. I work long hours and travel away. The last thing I need is an unreliable vehicle and phone calls from her stating there is an issue with the car, especially when I've laid out good money for it. If I was driving it every day I wouldn't buy a kluger, and certainly not a Territory.

AU XR8 sedan, Tickford optioned body kit & wheels, Galaxy blue, auto, pedders suspension, mild cam, headers, full system. (Weekend ride)

Previous Fords:

BA mk2 FPV Super Pursuit, manual, Mercury, Herrod cams, shaker, di-fillipo system.

BA mk1 XR8 sedan, auto, silhouette, leather, premium sound, 18" speedy wheels, cat back system.

SX Territory, silhouette, 7 seats RWD.
BA Supa Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #86
DK30RB

Quote:

That's a very narrow minded opinion..

Why drop 200k? Because some people can!!

We've taken holidays to Europe, Skiing and a cruise with my young Kids (5 & 7), in addition to road trips in our Cruiser and 3 tonne box on wheels.

Guess which holiday the kids have most fun on? Hands down... a road trip staying in caravan parks wins each and every time. Kids play with all the other kids, you have beaches, pools, jumping pillows, activities. Can't think of a better holiday for the kids.

Driving appropriately I only use 16litres per 100km which is acceptable considering the combined weight of the van and cruiser.

Site fees for a caravan park are around 60 - 70 per night. Great value when you consider that it includes use of a pool, jumping pillow, play gym, camp BBQ, and in some cases, kayaks, a big screen movie etc etc. Also includes power and water. Run the aircon in the van 24x7 without additional cost.

I'm not a tradie nor a farmer so by your definition I don't need a Landcruiser. What else do you suggest I tow my 3 tonne van with that would go across Australia? Pretty much anything else will be as big as the cruiser and defeats your point.

I don't think I have ever met anyone who makes their vehicle purchasing decision based on practicality.. Ummm.. lets see I need to tow a 3.2tonne van, I need a landcruiser, but its not practical around town, so i'll buy a falcon. I think a persons NEEDS dictate what vehicle they buy!

Yes I occasionally take the cruiser off road in the bush, to the beach, to the snow and do actually 4wd. I'm not about to take a 25 year old car with no safety features and tow my caravan around in it!! This way I have the best of everything. I can safely and comfortably go off road, tow my van, and park it in the coles car park!! Gee I wonder if other landcruiser owners had the same thought?

Before you judge others for their choice of vehicle, maybe consider what they actually use it for rather than forming a narrow minded opinion based on YOUR needs. Everyone has different needs.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #87
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed DK30RB - we paid 5k for 2wks accommodation last year, and $2500 of that was at a cabin at a park, kids loved it. Bought a camper trailer this year and it'll pay itself off in no time. Gonna do a 10,000km trip next year with the wife and kids, and my brother and his family. Can't wait.

Bit nervous about how much fuel my Y62 will use lol, but i'll do a few test runs prior with the camper so i get an idea of what to expect.
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #88
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I need a Nissan GTR but my bank balance only covers a Ford Focus
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #89
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Supa Pursuit View Post
My 2 cents worth:

The fog light fell out.

This is one of the japanese car makers great strengths, you will very rarely hear of headlining falling down or stuff falling off or failing , or stuff that is not built to the best of the companys ability because of bean counters, and it is hard to walk away from that solid build quality.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #90
Matty4
Banana

Quote:

Everyone has different priorities in life at different stages of their life.
In my 20's I lost track of the amount of money I threw at my cars trying to make it faster, louder, lower etc etc, but at the end of the day it was still an old car, what a waste of money.

Now I have a family and some of our best memories are with the van in tow on trips away. I took my family on a half lap 5 years ago with a Pajero and our van and we took it to places no XR8 would ever get to. My kids still talk about it today.

I'm really looking forward to the time my kids are off my hands, spent $200K on a van and 4WD and disappear for 8 or 9 months at a time......work..bah!!
2 users like this post: