Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #61
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Default Re: Filling your wife or girlfriends car with fuel....

I smell a thread lock on this one.
I'd fill up if asked, usually my partner fills up on her own though, it's such a small facet of life we don't give a toss who fills up.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #62
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also use gloves when fueling the diesel work cars.

Diesel pumps are nearly always more filthy then unleaded ones.

I like having clean hands, that means they are ready to eat whenever.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #63
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
Nothing like a bit of germ paranoia to get the fraidy cats wearing gloves
im with you on this one, what happened to letting kids play in dirt mud an eat the occasional hand full or mud pie? And we wonder why kids get so pick these days
Old 03-06-2011, 01:34 AM   #64
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

If I'm with my GF when she needs fuel, I'll fill it up for her (why not?).
She puts fuel in her car the rest of the time - we do not live with each other full time, she usually just stays over at the weekends, etc.

I check her fluids (oil, coolant, windscreen resevoir, brake fluid, etc), I service her car, I make sure her tyres are all pumped up correctly and I check their wear, I fix her car and if she needs parts I'll get them as she (like a lot of young women) has no idea what an alternator is
If she got a flat tyre, I'd get the call to come and change it for her... it honestly doesn't bother me.

Having said that, I've taught her how to service a car but she just figures I do a better job of it + I can lie down under the car and get all dirty instead.

Dad has always taken care of mum's car as far as servicing + repairing but mum always filled her car with petrol and LPG, always checked all her fluids and her tyres.

Personally I like the fact that I have a girly-girl, makes me feel like I'm some sort of automotive genius
...the rewards aren't bad either

But lets face it, women can put fuel in their cars.

EDIT: She used to insist she'd get her car fixed by her own means, but after the mechanic charged her ~$150.00 labour to replace ignition leads, distributor cap, spark plugs and ignition coil I put my foot down.

Last edited by 93EB_SXR6; 03-06-2011 at 01:39 AM.
93EB_SXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 06:00 AM   #65
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

(I'm a girl and here's my perspective on this)

I know how to fill my car with fuel and I have no probs doing so. I don't dip below a half tank, it's something I was taught and it's a habit from when I first started driving (blame it on my overcautious dad). But once when I was too busy to fill before heading out with the guy I'm dating and knowing we'd be traveling far, we headed to a station. I wondered how this would pan out... my car, my gas, we're together, you know? Well, he got out, wouldn't take my gas card, and he swiped his. He then pumped my fuel for me and suggested I go back into my car because of the stinkie fuel odor. My thoughts? Aww, sweet and what a gentleman. Never did I think "whipped!" We do nice things for each other and like others posted here, relationships are based on give and take. Nothing wrong with that. I know, some will say it happened only once, but to me, it's a sign of character and I haven't been wrong about him yet. I will be offering the same if I can beat him to it.

Now when it comes to detailing my car, I pass, that's another story. I take it regularly to a detailer and have her taken care of inside and out.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #66
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife will fill her car if it needs fuel, she'll fill mine if it needs fuel. I'll fill hers, and i'll also fill mine.... It's not hard. But a big WTF to the girls out there (i know one), who will dodge petrol stations and drive around on fumes, just so the boyfriend HAS to be the one to fill it up?

That would be the equivelant of me missing out on my coffee, just because it's the wifes duty to the groceries or whatever the arrangement might be! If we need milk, and i'm home, i go down and get it... I thought the same would go with buying fuel? Obviously not....

I do all the air pressures in the tyres etc, only because i know the wife won't bother to ever check!!
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #67
BA Baracus
xls

We weren't even aware anyone does this prior to reading this thread and discussing with my missus.

What happens if you can't drive for some reason (illness, away or whatever)? She drives 'til it stops hops out and gets a taxi?
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #68
Rodge
Banned

My wife has never worked, we've brought up 2 kids and she gets $1000 per week for housekeeping and buys / saves whatever she likes out of the significant amount left over after buying food. I pay all the other bills and the mortgage.

At that price I'm happy to let her fill her own car and for some "strange" reason she's never complained about the arrangement.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #69
iCat
doof doof doof doof

wow, wish i had a bloke that'd be so nice as to take my car and fill it up. that is such a thoughtful gesture..
Old 03-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #70
Spudz27
Call me Spud

When I first met my fiance 8yrs ago she never filled her car up. This is because her whole life she watched her mum make her dad do it. Her sister was the same, she used to wait for her dad to come visit to do her fuel or she would get her boyfriend to do it.

My fiance learned very quickly that I was not like her dad (poor guy is so timid he does whatever he is told and man I have some funny stories lol, he can't use cruise control, his over speed is set to 110 and she uses the vanity mirror to tell him what is behind and she tells him when he can turn etc) and not going to always fill up for her and she needed to learn. Now when she has my car (we usually have to swap at lunch, different finish times and only 1 set of car seats) I can get her to fill it up while she has it.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #71
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Wow 3 Pages on Filling your wife or girlfriends car with fuel....
Didn't think it was such a big deal... "Chivarly" anyone.

Cheers
H
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #72
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always fill all the cars up , outside the house is my responsibility inside is er indoors responsibility . Oh I just know thats going to get back .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #73
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

" Mine fills her car (diesel) up herself. She had a laugh the other day watching some guy fill his up with gloves on. She thought it was funny anyway."

I'm afraid she'd laugh at me too then , considering 99.9% of diesel pump handles are covered with diesel which then stinks up your hands and the interior of the vehicle not to mention the dangers of an oily steering wheel .
Old 03-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #74
Zero_PSI
Banned

No. But i wash it all the time.
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #75
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My mrs always fills her own up, and refuses to let me pay, but occasionally ill slip in an extra 20 or so litres without her knowing
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #76
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh man where to begin, my wife works at a servo and you should see the princess type girls that look so shattered at the prospect of having to put fuel in their hyundai exel themselves they get that whole attitude thing going on with the eyes and the hair and you get the impression that they are disgusted that they (delicate little princesses they are) dare touch the fuel bowser and be exposed to the icky smell of the petrol, I will say this girls who come in with this attitude are seldom seen with a boyfriend (wonder why that is) high maintenance perhaps?

now me personally my wife has her own car and she washes vacuums and polishes it all herself and she puts fuel in it when its required, she leaves the under the bonnet stuff for me (checking and topping of fluids) but apart from that she cares for it herself. If I am driving it and should it require fuel I put fuel in it as she does with my car, sometimes I will park the cars either side of the pump where she works and put fuel in both cars at the same time (if they both need it) if the girl in the original post is a real high maintenance princess if she doesn't quickly get with the programme then the relationship will end in a timely manner. Being expected to put fuel in a car you never drive (and hence have no idea if it needs it) is laughable at best, she expect you to get a couple of sticks and wave them over the filler cap to determine how much fuel is in it?

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #77
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

She will fill up petrol cars but not LPG
Old 03-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #78
sleek7

Mostly me who fills her car and washes it. She says "thats what boyfriends are for!"...
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #79
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
oh man where to begin, my wife works at a servo and you should see the princess type girls that look so shattered at the prospect of having to put fuel in their hyundai exel themselves they get that whole attitude thing going on with the eyes and the hair and you get the impression that they are disgusted that they (delicate little princesses they are) dare touch the fuel bowser and be exposed to the icky smell of the petrol, I will say this girls who come in with this attitude are seldom seen with a boyfriend (wonder why that is) high maintenance perhaps?

now me personally my wife has her own car and she washes vacuums and polishes it all herself and she puts fuel in it when its required, she leaves the under the bonnet stuff for me (checking and topping of fluids) but apart from that she cares for it herself. If I am driving it and should it require fuel I put fuel in it as she does with my car, sometimes I will park the cars either side of the pump where she works and put fuel in both cars at the same time (if they both need it) if the girl in the original post is a real high maintenance princess if she doesn't quickly get with the programme then the relationship will end in a timely manner. Being expected to put fuel in a car you never drive (and hence have no idea if it needs it) is laughable at best, she expect you to get a couple of sticks and wave them over the filler cap to determine how much fuel is in it?
Funny and very true post, I used work at servo years ago seems like nothing has changed
What does everyone think about the Smell of Petrol?
I Personally Like it.
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #80
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine_afg
Funny and very true post, I used work at servo years ago seems like nothing has changed
What does everyone think about the Smell of Petrol?
I Personally Like it.
You should like it, it's full of psychoactive chemicals and toxins that make people high

The same reason why people love new car smell. All the chemicals coming off the new plastics, paint, etc.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #81
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I fill my girlfriends up all the time, not because she can't, she spews at the smell of fuel so i just do it for her to save her making a mess lol
Old 03-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #82
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
My wife has never worked, we've brought up 2 kids and she gets $1000 per week for housekeeping and buys / saves whatever she likes out of the significant amount left over after buying food. I pay all the other bills and the mortgage.

At that price I'm happy to let her fill her own car and for some "strange" reason she's never complained about the arrangement.
Id just about wear a skirt to get that deal....id be demanding the GT though
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #83
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still can't believe the amount of guys on here who think they're doing something righteous or what not??

The only reason i put fuel in the wifes car is so that she can get to work! Not because i think i'm a nice person! If i'm finishing sunday nightshift, and it's low on fuel or only a quarter or something, i'll fill it up for her before i get home so that she doesn't have to fill it up whilst dropping the kids off to daycare/school etc during the week. I doubt she'd even think twice that it's been filled up! I doubt she'd get in the car and think "aww, how sweet, he filled it up for me"... But, i'll ask her what she thinks and report back!

It's called courtesy... But, the day she tries to tell me to go fill her car up, as it's a 'boy' thing, is the day i come home from work and leave her car on empty!

I can't believe it's such a big thing to some women! Want clean hands? Buy some of that waterless antibacterial gel stuff...
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #84
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
does she have sex when he wants it, etc, etc.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #85
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

We share all duties I cook mains she does sweets , she wash I hang , she wash and vac cars today actually ..... but I treat her like any woman deserves with respect .note we work together same shift in mines no kids , when that happens I will do all I can for her
Old 03-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #86
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Id just about wear a skirt to get that deal....id be demanding the GT though
Thanks for the offer but after "careful consideration" I think I'll pass on that very special opportunity
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #87
Paxton
Cobblers!

Mine will do hers when she is out and about. If I'm in the car, or about to use it, and it is below half way, it will get topped up.

She isn't game to try the LPG with the BF, however.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #88
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Maybe we should break it down and let's be honest here..
Who does the general household duties, ie.
Cooking,
Ironing,
Cleaning, as in the bath/shower/toilet/vacuming/folding/
Paying the weekly bill's,
Kid duty, changing nappies etc.
the list goes on...

How many of us can honestly say that we do any of that.
I know I can say I do a fair amount of the above as my wife is the better income earner and as she is also studying (PHd) while working full time and has a full on very stressfull job, I find it is only fair of me to do the above, although she cook's as she is a wonderfull cook and I don't have a par on her at it.
So I can easily say I don't or wouldn't have a worry in filling up the car for her if need be, if she was sitting around doing nothing then it's a different story, but understanding of each other is a healthy realationship.

I think thats the nuts and bolts of it, who does what.

in my house my wife fills her car up, why casue shes driving it and it needs fuel, we have (I beleive) a fraily even mix of who does what, I'm mechanicaly minded so if her car needs attention or a service I do it, she does the bulk of the cooking and washing, I chop the fire wood and do the lawns, she irons I vacume she does the soccer mum drop off I do the soccer dad pick up

Tyicaly I do the heavy jobs but that said I had her on the end of a screed the other week when we poored a slab for the shed, Ive had her driving the excavator down the back (shes a versitile lady my Mrs)

we're both parterns in this relationship so we split things based on availabile time

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #89
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyxr6t04
I still can't believe the amount of guys on here who think they're doing something righteous or what not??
Ahah so true.

Out of all the nice things I could do for my girlfriend, filling up her car is probably at the bottom of the list.. I mean there is so many more things you can do to help out.
Standing still for 2 minutes enjoying the scenery is hardly anything special.

I don't just sit at home and think 'hmm I am bored, might go fill up the car for something to do'
Myself and everyone in my family seams to fill up their car while they are out doing something. It's doesn't even take 5 minutes out of your trip time. I can't see why people wouldn't just do it as they are passing a servo.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #90
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it gets low while she is driving it she fills it, unless she knows she can get home with what is left and i will be driving it next

when the kids were babies i would do it for her so she didn't have to get the baby out of the car just to pay for petrol..

oh, and there is no 'her' car, we have my car (an excel ) and a 'family' car.. she might try to claim the new family car when we buy one though