Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #61
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This clown shouldnt have been on the road. To those who dont understand, being disqualified means you dont drive. 20 years in the lock up with big bubba should ram home the message.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #62
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
From the article

Police interviewed the five youths at the scene. The driver was charged with obstructing police while three of the others were handcuffed but not charged.

No other charges had been laid last night

The police have no one to blame but themselves for this kind of behaviour, the driver should have been charged with, at the very least, Vehicular Manslaughter while the friends should have copped an Accessory To The Fact charge.

The driver was disqualified......................Fact
The car was known to the police.............Fact
The teens involved showed no remorse whatsoever at the scene of the accident, nor did they attempt to assist the injured in any way..............Fact
They further showed disregard for those injured by ordering take away....Fact

And they charge the driver with, wait for it, OBSTRUCTING POLICE?????

I really feel in cases such as this the cops are more to blame than those who cause it in the first place, with light weight charges like those handed out here what message do they send to other teens with the same mentality.
You are right to be upset. That's what it does LOOK like.

BUT, that's probably all the charges reporter knew about. All the police need is one offence to arrest someone...they can always charge with more at any later date and back at the station. I guarantee you he was taken to a police station later that day and interviewed and charged with more offences later. The "kid" was more than likely playing up or giving the police a hard time. So he copped another charge to shut him up...or make him a bit more co-operative.

At the risk of creating a TSUNAMI of responses...Police can only apply the legislation they are given to use. Complain to politicians about that. Please, and I stress PLEASE remember Police don't make the law they just enforce it.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #63
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
who the hell knows if they called a mate to pick maccas up for them - MAYBE, you know.. without jumping to conclusions.. that they were already on their way to see them when they got the call their mate just had an accident?
It's a reasonable conclusion to make.

What do you believe to be the more likely scenario;

The called someone to bring them Maccas or,

They couldn't be bothered going through a drive through so they had another car follow them with their food?

Just the act of sitting on the road eating Maccas while some poor bloke is laying there dying while his missus is trapped in the car is despicable enough!
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #64
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

Im sure with due course (ie an accident investigation) the police will if necessary lay charges.

My expereince with the law is this... If you are speeding and crash into someone else, and that other person pulled out in front of you *assuming* you were doing the speed limit you are in the wrong.
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #65
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
From the article

Police interviewed the five youths at the scene. The driver was charged with obstructing police while three of the others were handcuffed but not charged.

No other charges had been laid last night

The police have no one to blame but themselves for this kind of behaviour, the driver should have been charged with, at the very least, Vehicular Manslaughter while the friends should have copped an Accessory To The Fact charge.

The driver was disqualified......................Fact
The car was known to the police.............Fact
The teens involved showed no remorse whatsoever at the scene of the accident, nor did they attempt to assist the injured in any way..............Fact
They further showed disregard for those injured by ordering take away....Fact

I really feel in cases such as this the cops are more to blame than those who cause it in the first place, with light weight charges like those handed out here what message do they send to other teens with the same mentality.
You are absolutely right except for one thing; blame the judiciary and the legislators not the police, there are only so many things they can be charged with and the courts simply give them bail time and again...and again...and again etc.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #66
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
It's a reasonable conclusion to make.

What do you believe to be the more likely scenario;

The called someone to bring them Maccas or,

They couldn't be bothered going through a drive through so they had another car follow them with their food?

Just the act of sitting on the road eating Maccas while some poor bloke is laying there dying while his missus is trapped in the car is despicable enough!
they could have at least offered some to old mate.
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #67
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:

Just for a moment, you were the one driving the WRX and the accident was wholly the fault of the other driver, but, at the scene it was impossible to make that conclusion. Would you want the police to smack 20 charges on you and haul you to the pokey or would you feel that an investigation should take place before they apportion blame?

I believe ~19 charges have since been laid.
Old 27-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #68
platinumXR

Quote:
Just for a moment, you were the one driving the WRX and the accident was wholly the fault of the other driver, but, at the scene it was impossible to make that conclusion. Would you want the police to smack 20 charges on you and haul you to the pokey or would you feel that an investigation should take place before they apportion blame?

There you go.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 27-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #69
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

This is true, police quite often make a holding charge so an initial investigation can take place in order to determine if another charge or charges are more appropriate.

As an aside there is no charge in Queensland known as 'Vehicular Homicide', the Queensland charge would be 'Dangerous Driving causing Death'. This is the charge which has now been laid.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #70
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50pilot
By the way how do you tell from the picture who is in the wrong? If you are at the roundabout and enter and a car is 3 or 4 car lengths away from said roundabout and enters at any speed and hits you aren't you in the right. My impression is that you must give way to all vehicles on the roundabout.
May be I have it wrong. But I still can not tell who was on the roundabout first by just looking at the photo. That may be why the the charges don't include dangerous driving just yet. Investigations take time.
He was unregistered and unlicenced. It's automatically his fault since he should not have been on the road to begin with.

As for the Maccas, wouldn't surprise me if they were on the bongs!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 08:22 PM   #71
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
wait, in QLD do you get maccas delivered? or did a friend come by with it?
This is a serious discussion about a serious issue, but I really can't see the point of this post. In fact - unless I totally misinterpreted your post - I see this post in the same vain as the issue at hand.

If someone was shocked to the point where they couldn't help someone they just accidentally killed and injured two people they wouldn't be able to eat for days, nor would they be able to sleep for days.

A story I heard last Saturday week; It may have been on the news, but I missed it, it only happened a few weeks ago. It was about the guy who ran over and killed an 18 month toddler. This guy was so shocked (and so he should/would be) the ambos rushed him to off hospital... ffs, they didn't ask him if he wanted maccas on the way there did they?!?!
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #72
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout
This is true, police quite often make a holding charge so an initial investigation can take place in order to determine if another charge or charges are more appropriate.

As an aside there is no charge in Queensland known as 'Vehicular Homicide', the Queensland charge would be 'Dangerous Driving causing Death'. This is the charge which has now been laid.
Yeah, every state calls it something different. In NSW, he may have been charged with Dangerous Driving Causing Death or Grievous Bodily Harm.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 27-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #73
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
This is a serious discussion about a serious issue, but I really can't see the point of this post. In fact - unless I totally misinterpreted your post - I see this post in the same vain as the issue at hand.

If someone was shocked to the point where they couldn't help someone they just accidentally killed and injured two people they wouldn't be able to eat for days, nor would they be able to sleep for days.

A story I heard last Saturday week; It may have been on the news, but I missed it, it only happened a few weeks ago. It was about the guy who ran over and killed an 18 month toddler. This guy was so shocked (and so he should/would be) the ambos rushed him to off hospital... ffs, they didn't ask him if he wanted maccas on the way there did they?!?!
Drive Thru? :

Yeah, spot on. Most people with a conscience would feel the same or at least try to help and not hinder.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 27-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #74
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

How can you guy's presume all ppl will or should act the same way or have your high moral standards, MG not even a clone would act the same as itself, let the justice system do it's job and these ppl will be judged by there peers not a lynch mob, in the end they will get whats coming to them in one form or another, he will be found guilty, if he wasn't driving this accident wouldn't have occurred (unlicensed, uninsured)
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #75
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
How can you guy's persume all ppl will or should act the same way or have your high moral standards, MG not even a clone would act the same as itself, let the justice system do it's job and these ppl will be judged by there peers not a linch mob, in the end they will get whats coming to them in one form or another
You are right, I guess it's wrong to assume every human being has moral standards.

And not one of them...NOT ONE OF THEM...how many where in the car again?...seemingly lifted a finger to help apparently. Rather do what is the next easiest thing...argue with the cops after scoffing McD's...sorry, maybe I missed a paragraph...I'll go back and read it again.

I guess what most have been saying is that the justice system is not going to give them what's coming to them BUT...should they really have been in that situation in the first place? Driver training and all that...? I think that is the point of this thread.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 27-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #76
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Would you want the police to smack 20 charges on you and haul you to the pokey or would you feel that an investigation should take place before they apportion blame?
He was unlicenced so shouldn't have been behind the wheel of the car in the first place.

Quote:
On the driver, what about the mates, quite often they are as much if not more to blame as the person behind the wheel, more often than not they are the true cause due to there spurring the driver on.

Look obviously I reacted to what I'd read and if any coppers have taken offence then I apologise.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 11:50 PM   #77
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
He was unlicenced so shouldn't have been behind the wheel of the car in the first place.
Clearly. I'm not arguing that point.

The police have no one to blame but themselves for this kind of behaviour?

Is there something the police could have done prior to this numbnut jumping behind the wheel that could have stopped it? Obviously the driver has no respect for the law or those that uphold it so how are the police to blame in this instance?
Old 28-11-2008, 06:22 AM   #78
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

It was an accident waiting to happen the moment they got in the car, they only have themselves to blame for this
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 07:15 AM   #79
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid
WTF

Not even remotely funny....
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 07:57 AM   #80
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid
Hey Mongoloid, How would you feel if it was your father in the car ?????? : : :
Old 28-11-2008, 08:08 AM   #81
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
The police have no one to blame but themselves for this kind of behaviour?
Look if police took a more pro active approach and actually policed known hotspots more regularly, pulled over more drivers, young or old, for licence checks and the like.

If police actually visited known hotspots rather than waiting for someone to call about a disturbance then people like this "might" (obviously there will always be exceptions) just get it through there thick peanut heads that they will get caught if they do something wrong. Not after they do something like this but before they have the chance to actually cause any damage, be it personal or property damage.

Like I said not all cops are the same, some make the effort to lay down some peventative/pre emptive strikes on known people and/or places, while some won't move unless there has been a call out.

Good policing is not just being the first at the scene and getting all the statements so you can get one step closer to a sargeants or detectives badge, it's about making sure your area is as safe as it can possibly be. Obviously there is only so much anyone can do but knowing you have done your best to try to curb incidents such as this should be at the top of every coppers Christmas wish list.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 08:42 AM   #82
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
these ppl will be judged by there peers not a lynch mob, in the end they will get whats coming to them in one
I doubt they will be judged by peers.....as I don't think oxygen thiefs with no moral standards and human decency with the brain of a tadpole get picked for jury duty :evil3:
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #83
platinumXR

Quote:
Look if police took a more pro active approach and actually policed known hotspots more regularly, pulled over more drivers, young or old, for licence checks and the like.

If police actually visited known hotspots rather than waiting for someone to call about a disturbance then people like this "might" (obviously there will always be exceptions) just get it through there thick peanut heads that they will get caught if they do something wrong. Not after they do something like this but before they have the chance to actually cause any damage, be it personal or property damage.

Like I said not all cops are the same, some make the effort to lay down some peventative/pre emptive strikes on known people and/or places, while some won't move unless there has been a call out.

Good policing is not just being the first at the scene and getting all the statements so you can get one step closer to a sargeants or detectives badge, it's about making sure your area is as safe as it can possibly be. Obviously there is only so much anyone can do but knowing you have done your best to try to curb incidents such as this should be at the top of every coppers Christmas wish list.
One of the problems police have to deal with is public perception. If police are quietly doing their job by acting on Taskings given to them by superiors...that's boring news and not publish worthy.

Police do not have the numbers to be able to just wander around all day and do the thing's they really want or need to be doing. Aside from Traffic Services, police are largely reactive...that is respond to calls for assistance.

Police do target hotspots and the like, but then people complain "why aren't you out catching real criminals?" and all that nonsense.

At any given time and depending on the area, there may only be about 2 or three car crews of 2 to 3 police on duty. Add a domestic and a shoplifter...well there's two car crews out of action for 2 to three hours if they get a charge.

I don't mean to start a new thread about police and all that, or even offend you or something but all I am saying is you weren't there and don't know what transpired between the police and the kids. Give them a break...their job is hard enough as it is.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 28-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #84
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
You're pointing the finger at the wrong people. It's not the Police's fault they're underfunded and understaffed. There used to be a much greater Police presence on the road 20 years ago, mainly because there were more Police to put on the road.

When I was in my early 20's, I would barely go a week without having to submit to a roadside breathtest. My record for a single night was 4. I'd throw the tube into the back of the car and when I'd clean it out every few weeks there would be at least a dozen back there. It would be a couple of years now since I've had to 'blow into the bag' and I'm on the road a lot more today than I was when I was 20.

It's not the case today because the police are lazy, it's because they lack the manpower to do it.
Old 28-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #85
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man

i asked that so its easier to determine whether they ordered maccas while sitting on the side of the road watching him die or a friend came by with the maccas - although we can safely assume it was a friend who dropped it off, who knows if the maccas was ordered before or after the crash? Since this article has been basicly made purely on the fact that they received maccas whilst sitting on the side of the road its probably a good thing to find out IF they ordered the maccas before or if they ordered if AFTER the crash before saying they are cold hearted monsters

WE DONT KNOW if they just sat there with a big mac and chowed down, they might have just had drinks - we dont know.. - ffs - people stop assuming things to fill in the holes in the story especially one as tragic as this..

and guys dont blame the cops for this, they aren't telepathic, they aren't clairvoyant.. would you have thought he was unlicensed? Is there some sort of magical signal sent from cars to cops brains that says this guy is unlicensed and illegally driving - pull him over? there was nothing that they could have done to stop him. If someone with or without a license is going to go driving they will.

Last edited by Fev; 28-11-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #86
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GT40
Book yourself into a first aid course and you will learn all about it
DRABC is not what they use these days.... Maybe you need to do a first aid course refresher :

and with your interpretation regarding shock, is a shocker.... people react differently. Thats why we are all different. Please read up on the subject before you make a blanketed assumption based on only your own experiences....Just because you'd think clearly in a situation like that, does not mean someone else would.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #87
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JutroXR8
DRABC is not what they use these days.... Maybe you need to do a first aid course refresher :

and with your interpretation regarding shock, is a shocker.... people react differently. Thats why we are all different. Please read up on the subject before you make a blanketed assumption based on only your own experiences....Just because you'd think clearly in a situation like that, does not mean someone else would.
Actually they still do, DRABC is always going to be relevant as it has nothing to do with the actual way you administer first aid, but rather the steps taken.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #88
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pity he didn't cleanse his gene's from the pool in the accident also.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #89
RogueDriver

Well things just got a bit worse for him: Macca's crash driver escapes custody. What a clever bloke!
RogueDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #90
NYTEYZ

Before anyone quotes anything can they get their facts right, it's DRABCD
NYTEYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post