Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #61
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodfloyd
did i say that, no.

i dont find that helpful, especially from a moderator.

Please lead by example in future.
You said what was quoted amongst other things.
Try showing some respect to your elders and it may be reciprocated.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 26-11-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #62
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
You said what what was quoted amongst other things.
Try showing some respect to your elders and it may be reciprocated.
No, you were trying to attribute opinions to me that were not my own and rally others and yourself into berrating me because of it, whether with sarcasm or put downs.

I did not say nor insinuate that anyone over 35 was unknowledgable about anything other than L plater regulations. I dearly respect my fellow men and women of all ages. However some age specific issues are better known by people in that relevant age group.

I find your attitude reprehensable.

I do not wish to talk about it further with you.
brodfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 06:08 PM   #63
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
he was wrong too. shows there are many interpretations of the laws regarding learners and probabtionary drivers.
Yes I was. But I stand by what I said on the local regulations being applied first, followed by conditions of the licence issuing authority. In this case, NSW has none, so by default the conditions revert back to those imposed by VICRoads.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #64
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo
Yes I was. But I stand by what I said on the local regulations being applied first, followed by conditions of the licence issuing authority. In this case, NSW has none, so by default the conditions revert back to those imposed by VICRoads.
well we both learnt something didnt we?
brodfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #65
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
No, you were trying to attribute opinions to me that were not my own and rally others and yourself into berrating me because of it, whether with sarcasm or put downs.

I did not say nor insinuate that anyone over 35 was unknowledgable about anything other than L plater regulations. I dearly respect my fellow men and women of all ages. However some age specific issues are better known by people in that relevant age group.

Well i wish too, these are you're opinions:

Quote:
none of you who have commented are under 35 for sure, or if you are you are a wowser
Great way to offend a large proportion of the forums in one sentance.

Quote:
this forum is degenerating so quickly its no longer funny.

This statement is correct, but the reason behind it is the recent influx of young know it all's who have no respect for experience.
If you find it so degenerative, i suggest leaving.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 06:17 PM   #66
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:

You really should go look at the post in which he quoted you. 35 is not even mentioned. Seriously, make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Reprehensible? Are there no mirrors where you live?

And Ive been ninja'd, or sumo'd depending on factors of th poster above.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #67
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature
It is in fact my daughter who is on her 'L' plates. The joys of having kids close in age.
Being one of the (few on AFF) old wrinkly types I have a new theory on kids.

When they turn 13 Shoot them!
Old 26-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #68
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
This highlights the need for a single national licencing system as this is some what of a grey area open to different interpretations as we have seen here.
The process for this is well underway and has been for a number of years.

License categories and the permissible vehicle and implements attributable to each are now harmonised.

We have some way to go with the rest, I would expect with time uniform 'Conditions if License'.

I expect federal Labour to continue this process and insofar 'training', that the emphasis will remain on 'defensive'. The graduated system will further harmonise.

I expect the states and territories to remain sovereign - in respect to the setting of maximum speed restrictions, or derestriction. I would also expect on the other hand for the two (ARR) 'defaults' to be harmonised with time.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #69
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Being one of the (few on AFF) old wrinkly types I have a new theory on kids.

When they turn 13 Shoot them!

LOL can I ... can I .... Please can I ....... She just turned 16, is on her 'L's and knows all about the road ...... ask her she will tell you. Another thing she will tell you is that 80kph is way too slow, hence her bum is only ever in the Laser & NEVER in the Sprint
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #70
3vXT

Quote:

Might i suggest you help yourself to a big cup of cement and HTFU.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #71
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
LOL can I ... can I .... Please can I ....... She just turned 16, is on her 'L's and knows all about the road ...... ask her she will tell you. Another thing she will tell you is that 80kph is way too slow, hence her bum is only ever in the Laser & NEVER in the Sprint
Pssst, get her the Ford warning triangle! If she asks what its for, refer her to Your Keys To Driving In Queensland.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #72
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Great fun isn't it Mother Nature :

Daughter No 1 has just turned 21 (green P's) was a heavy foot , better now .

Daughter No 2 nearly 18 (red P's) happy to get from A to B , hates fast driving .

Son , 16 in 4 days time , get's his "L's" (NSW) , so I'll have in each catagory .
Mrs says "What damage they do and any fines , they pay for " , that slows them down

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #73
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am lucky, she can actually drive, well more so than her city cousins. Nothing better than the old wagon + 800 acres of paddocks to learn in and a elder brother to teach her.

Have just worked out that by the time the eldest (17) is on his green 'P's we will have 5 of them (all bar the youngest) on some form of 'P' plates, now that is a scary thought :P

Anyway not to get too far off topic. Im really hoping that this thread will let the youngster who originally posted know where he stands in his situation.
Old 26-11-2007, 09:49 PM   #74
Shaggzy
"BMX_datto"

Yeah well i take it i have to go by the 80km/h speed limits while im on my L plates but when i get my P plates i can go by the Vic rules which is i can go as fast as the posted limits
Shaggzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 12:22 AM   #75
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMX_datto
Yeah well i take it i have to go by the 80km/h speed limits while im on my L plates but when i get my P plates i can go by the Vic rules which is i can go as fast as the posted limits
Yes BMX_datto , better to be safe than sorry , you'll find the Polce will be pretty "thick" around the place . My daughter & a few friends went last year and you've got to be on the "straight & narrow", it's only for a couple of days and not worth getting busted .

Sorry it took 3 pages to get here , but you did the right thing . Take it cool on your "L's" and be safe .

Also have fun at the "Nat's" , my daughter & friends did . Oh , take plenty of Sunscreen , they got burnt to a crisp . :

MotherNature , yep , farms are good for the kids to learn , I grew up on one (went to the city & returned to the country 20yrs later) now we take our kids 20k's out to the cousins farms for a drive . Oh the joys of country living . :

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #76
Perun
SSith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
This statement is correct, but the reason behind it is the recent influx of young know it all's who have no respect for experience.
If you find it so degenerative, i suggest leaving.
Maybe he can't find the exit and is waiting for someone to "show him the way"?
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #77
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Another thing she will tell you is that 80kph is way too slow
Next time she says this, you drive (at 80) and suggest that she open her door and step out!
Old 28-11-2007, 01:14 PM   #78
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Next time she says this, you drive (at 80) and suggest that she open her door and step out!

LOL I have suggested it to her :P

Shes not all that bad really and she does adhere to the limits set. I spose as she has had car handling skills since she could reach the pedals the only new experience is being on the road with the other cars & obstacles. On her first trip into town she copped a header, a pilot ute and a bicyclist all on the one bend......... I cringed & she took it all in her stride ......
Old 28-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #79
BlackLS
yum

On my Ls in NSW I never did 80kmh in 110/100kmh zones, usually 100kmh

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #80
Bayvu
Clevo LTDs rule

In my previous life I used to wear a blue uniform in Vic for over 20 years and the issue of learners driving interstate is an interesting one.

All states have reciprical rights with regards to driving on an interstate licence, but a learners permit is just that, a permit and is outside these reciprical rights.

From my research over the years I found that it is actually illegal to drive interstate on a learners permit, there is no provosion for it. In theory you could be charged with unlicenced driving and the courts would have to uphold it as you don't have a licence!

But thank goodness common sense usually prevails and I haven't heard any learner being charged with unlicenced driving.

I would take the view of others here, "when in Rome do as the Romans" and if you stick to your own road rules then be prepared for the consequences. One of the first things we were taught in the police academy was "ignorance is no excuse". Just because you are unaware of the law doesn't mean you don't have to obey it.

Just remember it may be in the too hard basket to issue a ticket for unlicenced but it is very easy to get a defect notice on the car if the constabularly wants to play hardball! And they can make you get the car towed away!

None of my kids ever had an isuue driving interstate on their learners and we normally just sat on the posted limit.

My 2 cents worth.
99 AU Ltd 5.0W : Gone....
98 DL LTD 5.0W
04 BA LTD coming next week.....
Bayvu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 12:08 AM   #81
Shaggzy
"BMX_datto"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayvu
From my research over the years I found that it is actually illegal to drive interstate on a learners permit, there is no provosion for it. In theory you could be charged with unlicenced driving and the courts would have to uphold it as you don't have a licence!

Really??? Never ever thought of that but i will keep that in mind Thank god common snese does prevail in most cases
Shaggzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 12:46 AM   #82
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayvu
In my previous life I used to wear a blue uniform in Vic for over 20 years and the issue of learners driving interstate is an interesting one.

All states have reciprical rights with regards to driving on an interstate licence, but a learners permit is just that, a permit and is outside these reciprical rights.

But thank goodness common sense usually prevails and I haven't heard any learner being charged with unlicenced driving.

I would take the view of others here, "when in Rome do as the Romans" and if you stick to your own road rules then be prepared for the consequences. One of the first things we were taught in the police academy was "ignorance is no excuse". Just because you are unaware of the law doesn't mean you don't have to obey it.

Just remember it may be in the too hard basket to issue a ticket for unlicenced but it is very easy to get a defect notice on the car if the constabularly wants to play hardball! And they can make you get the car towed away!

None of my kids ever had an isuue driving interstate on their learners and we normally just sat on the posted limit.

My 2 cents worth.
Qld has legislation that covers interstate learner drivers, and recognises the legitimacy of said permit in Qld. I linked to the information in an earlier post. As long as the permit is valid in the issuing state, Qld honours that permit.

The other thing worth noting here. A NSW copper is really only likely to be aware of NSW law. Of course s/he may be more aware than that, but for the most part, the local law is complex enough that such an issue would be a grey area for the officer in the street. A court however has all the time in the world to look into the legalities of it and many minds to pick, so if you do get fined, youll either have to pay it, or return for court, and could lose because Id suggest NSW law applies, it is NSW. You could always ring around and argue it, good luck with that.

Basically, a NSW L plater could get away with doing 100 in Vic, even if they still need to stick to 90, the copper in Vic wont even notice they arent doing 90, he expects they wont exceed 100. But both Vic and NSW L platers, could easily be fined in NSW for doing more than 90. Its what the copper knows the law to be. Arguing it with the officer on the street is just dumb so I dont recommend that. S/he thinks s/he is right, thats why s/he is writing the ticket.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post