Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Will you get an Orion at launch ?
Yes, in first few months of launch 27 8.33%
Yes, within 6 months of launch 25 7.72%
No, will wait for Orion Mk II 58 17.90%
No, keeping old car 137 42.28%
Not sure as yet 77 23.77%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #61
BTTB
Free XD

only if they donate one to me

saw the cover of "WHEELS" (was that it?) today...

I could live with that shape....

whats the driveline consist of though ?
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #62
XRchic
Hello

I ticked the "buy one within 6 months of launch" option. That is probably, not definitely. We would be looking to buy a new car around 2008 sometime, or maybe early 2009. I would be looking at getting an Orion for sure (Im not going to get a Holden of any kind, or a Toyota or Mits or anything else really) and I for one, quite like the CGs I have seen of the predicted appearance! I think they look sleek and modern really... and not too different to the B-series which I also like. I didnt want them to deviate too much from that - if they do, I dont know what I will do.

We would be buying an Orion FPV of some kind, not a regular Ford. I would like a GT or a Typhoon. We would be keeping my XR6 as the drag toy.

Also, I have had no serious trouble with my series 1 BA. Built May 2003. Has been quite reliable and is still nice to drive at 100 000km.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #63
Vdouw
Proud Ford Owner

Yea i'll stick with my sexy lil XH II but if anything i'd buy a BF MK II XLS cab chasis or styleside not sure yet but i'd do it at run out time ... by then the loan will have been paid off and i'll be looking for a new ute ... but yea I'd have to wait till series 2 at the earliest ... i don't want to be the sucker that has to fork out the dosh to fix the problems that ford will do on the series 2's and 3's.
Vdouw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 01:33 AM   #64
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdouw
Yea i'll stick with my sexy lil XH II but if anything i'd buy a BF MK II XLS cab chasis or styleside not sure yet but i'd do it at run out time ... by then the loan will have been paid off and i'll be looking for a new ute ... but yea I'd have to wait till series 2 at the earliest ... i don't want to be the sucker that has to fork out the dosh to fix the problems that ford will do on the series 2's and 3's.
Why would you be forking out any money on a brand new car thats just been released???You have heard of a thing called warrenty :
Old 18-03-2007, 01:50 AM   #65
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

I don't know, i wait & see if i like it.
Old 18-03-2007, 12:09 PM   #66
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
I don't know, i wait & see if i like it.
more like if : likes it or wait and see who ends up wearing the pants after bathurst :evil_laug
Old 18-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #67
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can I vote none of the above. A big car doesn't suit as a daily driver anymore. The XR8 is going and a nice new XR5 is set to replace it.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #68
Bobman
Regulator

Will be looking at an Orion XR6 within a year of them hitting the roads, it's good to keep up to date ;)

Hope it does prove to be some better competition for the VE and lift the falling sales, but won't hold my breath.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #69
wakeboardandy

Yes I will be getting one in Jun 08, I'll prob get the xr6.. That is when my current bf xr6 comes out of its 2 year lease... I'm happy they new model comes out just before my change over date.
wakeboardandy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #70
Sledgehammer
Banned

I dont think that Id but a first model of anything.......
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2007, 01:38 AM   #71
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would like to get an orion turbo at launch but i don't think i can afford one. I may have to get a VE SS (second hand) instead :
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #72
AussieJason

Considering the importance of the Orion to Ford Aus, I was quite surprised of the poll results. Only 8% at launch, and also 8% within 6 months. Could be a rough ride for Ford with the Falcon in the near future...

If all goes according to plan I should be getting one within 6 months of launch.

Previous Falcons:
2003 BA Falcon XL Ute White
1994 EF Falcon GLi Aqua

bseries.com.au Member

And drive a Holden company car...
AussieJason is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #73
Jayse
:o

Im hoping to pick up a BA Mk II or even BF XR6 or XR6T for a bargain once the orion is released. Well, thats what im hoping anyways
Jayse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2007, 12:26 PM   #74
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will campaign my BG GT for another 3 or so years, then hopefully sell it privately for a half decent amount in about year 2010 and get a new FPV GTHO.........
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #75
andrewts
White Car Driver

I think I'll stick with the ED! Lol

I think as a rule of thumb when buying a car, steer clear of S1 models. They are never usually the best they can be. That and I can barely afford a can of coke!
Old 17-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #76
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJason
Considering the importance of the Orion to Ford Aus, I was quite surprised of the poll results. Only 8% at launch, and also 8% within 6 months. Could be a rough ride for Ford with the Falcon in the near future...

If all goes according to plan I should be getting one within 6 months of launch.
I think its just that we are a very small insignificant portion of people who buy cars, the average joe will snap anything up with the right marketing/sales; holden complete portfolio is an example of that.

If I had the choice, and it was my money for a private car then no friggen way. Like previous people have said; Ford and Holden still have a way to go until people can trust there quality; especially with a brand new car.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #77
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I changed my mind, bought a BFII Super Pursuit and will be keeping that until the next model after Orion (thats if Ford survives). I love the BA / BF Shape and everything about it, the new one maybe better but at the same time it could lose some of traits.

If i have to buy a second car (for the other half) it will be a VE of some description as she will need a sedan (probarly a V6 Calais V).
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2007, 10:45 PM   #78
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To me, I see a lot of cost cutting in the newer model falcons. This shows in componentry and things like warping brake rotors, rattling engines, trim’s and paint issues, panel alignment etc.

If Ford Australia are to succeed (like a toothless budgie does ;)) then they will have to pick up their act in regards to build quality and consistency

This is one of the main factors behind Toyota wordwide's lead in sales figures.
People get burned by a manufacturer, then they wont go back.

Take for example: the Aussie mitsubishi magna 2.6, not all of them were cruddy. It’s those little things that manufacturers stuff up on which inevitably tarnish a manufacturers reputation and that is what has happened over recent years.
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 01:18 AM   #79
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fact that 16% of people said they will get an Orion and only 8% said at launch is not exactly shocking.

Most sales come from fleet sales anyway.

I would like to see Orion take off and poo on the VE. The VE really isn't much better than the BFII but the media gives it a cakewalk while the Falcon has to fight for credibility. It sucks, but that's media.

In terms of build quality...I've had no problems. Sure, things go wrong but for a full sized rear-wheel drive car for 35-40k (basic) is reasonable.

I've been in a C200 Mercedes and I reckon it was a piece of junk. Rock-hard seats, plain interior and the engine sounded like a lawnmower. The ride wasn't particularly smooth either on my recollection. Yet this thing costs 50-60k.

No. As I said, I'll keep my crappy Australian cars thanks.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 01:30 AM   #80
Bobman
Regulator

Can't go past a BMW in the same 30-35k range which is miles ahead of the Falcon.

Even my BA feels like a tractor already, can't wait for the Orion though, there's alot riding on it as long as it is more fuel efficient and they fix the handbrake

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #81
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by samftr
To me, I see a lot of cost cutting in the newer model falcons. This shows in componentry and things like warping brake rotors, rattling engines, trim’s and paint issues, panel alignment etc.

If Ford Australia are to succeed (like a toothless budgie does ;)) then they will have to pick up their act in regards to build quality and consistency

This is one of the main factors behind Toyota wordwide's lead in sales figures.
People get burned by a manufacturer, then they wont go back.

Take for example: the Aussie mitsubishi magna 2.6, not all of them were cruddy. It’s those little things that manufacturers stuff up on which inevitably tarnish a manufacturers reputation and that is what has happened over recent years.
Exactly right, they don't pick up their game they won't pick up customers. The excuse of some people that "eh its ok, they're still a good car for 30k+" is just not good enough. When I fork out 30k (a lot of money for me) i expect something decent, so until Ford improve the quality of the falcon i can't see myself buying another one. I see many people doing the same, spending a little more on something imported that lasts a lot longer. Disgraceful effort by Ford in terms of quality, i mean we're in the 21st century, they've been making cars for a long time now, aligning panels can't be that difficult, i could understand one or two duds here and there, i mean it is a mass produced car but on so many? What about the paint issues? Every falcon i have seen has no paint under the doors and missing a lot inside as well, just clumsy.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #82
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is one of this company’s biggest problems - penny pinching. If they save a bit here and there by not painting this and that (like engine blocks) or engine bays. Then that's more money in the coffers for the company.
I have seen bf Gt's that have not much in the way of paint in the engine bay. To me that is not on - If I pay for a 70k motor car, the damn engine bay better be painted the same as the rest of the car.

The grandmothers ge galant had its engine bay painted the same red as the rest of it. (It costed 4990 in 1979.)

Should we accept it and just say “Them’s the brakes”?

Don't get me wrong, I bought a falcon full knowing that they have inherent problems. (e series head gaskets anyone?)
But I also knew that the taxi industry uses these cars and have been in many many ea/eb/ed/ef/el/au falcons with the 880,000+km on them, some on their original drive train. To me this says they must be doing something right!

I hope the company manages to make lots of Wednesday cars and they sell well, but until the Orion is released we will have to wait and see.

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #83
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73
Besides the brakes (which I've upgraded), I have never had a problem with either the forte (RIP) or the XR6. Both of which were built in august 98
Nothing came loose, broke off or caused dramas
I have never had a problem with my AU1 XR8 either...series 1 cars have never bothered me as they have never caused me grief.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #84
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Guys every company cuts costs, there are teams devoted to it! Its just some things you notice and some you dont, thats were the difference is.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #85
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUsome
Yeh my old mans the same, said he'd never buy another falcon again... everyone has their reason.
Perpetual whingers...these types will run out of makes soon enough.

Old 20-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #86
aualright

I think many on this forum buy second hand Falcons and then complain about quality issues...my issue with buying second hand is the fact I know the person before me would never have looked after their beast like I would. This includes warming the motor up before driving, strict servicing schedule, washing fortnightly, etc. These in my view are vital to lessen the risk of quality issues.

If you have bought a lemon, then that is bad luck if me and my wife's purchasing history is anything to go by, ie. 6 new cars over a 15 yr period with no mechanical failures (2 were Ford Falcons - AU1 and AU3 ute, 1 Territory, 1 Lexus IS200, 1 Mazda MX5, 1 Mitsu Mirage).

Plus my old man always had new Falcs which ranged from XE, XF, and EF without drama.

The only drama is the drama-queens having a whinge, it seems.

Old 20-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #87
Spotty

Thinking about a runout BF GT................
Spotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #88
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotty
Thinking about a runout BF GT................
I think alot of people will do that, the BF2 is a nice package.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #89
twr7cx

bit hard, silly even, to comit to buying a new car without knowing what it actually is...
Old 20-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #90
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

I'll get a BA since this should cause them to be more affordable for me... and I'll be off my Ps and have the cash to get one.