Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #61
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Hell no.

The Ewoks lived on the planet moon of Endor.

Observed on Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

Also on "Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure", and "Battle for Endor".
Come on, someone must need a new sig?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #62
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Come on, someone must need a new sig?
Goes into his best Cartman voice ...*ahem* " Wookies dont live on Endor !!!! "
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #63
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit off topic but did anyone see that show on SBS the other day about computers becoming smarter than humans? They reckon a terminator style thing will happen, computers will be billion or trillions smarter than humans and fight back.

The key who invented the keyboard says it'll start to happen around 2020. They've already started using mind control/data transfer etc through computers and GPS. Wouldn't surprise me.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #64
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

i thought it was bout time i put my say in on this doomsday thing bout this planet, i think somepeople nned to stop smokeing so much pot

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #65
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van D
Bit off topic but did anyone see that show on SBS the other day about computers becoming smarter than humans? They reckon a terminator style thing will happen, computers will be billion or trillions smarter than humans and fight back.

The key who invented the keyboard says it'll start to happen around 2020. They've already started using mind control/data transfer etc through computers and GPS. Wouldn't surprise me.
So long as Microsoft don't build them. If they all run on Vista, there'd be an easy way to stop them. Just turn them on and watch them struggle.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #66
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asusdragon
i thought it was bout time i put my say in on this doomsday thing bout this planet, i think somepeople nned to stop smokeing so much pot
Or alot more, either way everyone else will benefit in the end :P.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #67
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
1+3 = 5.
It does.

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #68
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo
after all, it's well past April, 2003 and no sign of a Red Cross in the skies yet
You can see mars on a clear night when its close, but then you can also see Jupiter.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #69
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

The end is NIGH. 2010 Ford stops producing the I6. Thats the end of my world. FTW.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 11:16 PM   #70
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
We use the roman calander.
I assume you are referring to the Julian calender in common use in Britian since it's invention by Ceasar. We use that as a base, yes.
The Julian calender didn't allow exactly for leap years (one extra day every four years is close but not exact) and by the 16th century it was out by 10 days.
To address this fault, Pope Gregory advanced the calender to make up the 10 days and finer tuned the leap year cycle in it so that it now takes 3,323 years to get 1 day out of whack. It's not perfect but this is the calender we use today.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 11:22 PM   #71
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
I assume you are referring to the Julian calender in common use in Britian since it's invention by Ceasar. We use that as a base, yes.
The Julian calender didn't allow exactly for leap years (one extra day every four years is close but not exact) and by the 16th century it was out by 10 days.
To address this fault, Pope Gregory advanced the calender to make up the 10 days and finer tuned the leap year cycle in it so that it now takes 3,323 years to get 1 day out of whack. It's not perfect but this is the calender we use today.
Yes, all hail Pope Gregory. He wrote the workshop manual that most of us own.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 11:48 PM   #72
El Sucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEaaron
didn't they discover a comet that was going to hit earth in like 30 years?

It was in the paper one day and then never heard of it since then.
There is a meteor on a collision course with earth. It's next pass is in the year 2017 and it is expected to pass between the earth and the moon. We'll know on this next pass if it will collide with the earth on it's following pass (2029) or another one after that.

It's not a planet killer. But with the destructive power of approx 200 Megatons it will definitely annihilate any of the world's largest cities (New York, London, New Delhi, etc).

You can research it. The meteor's name escapes me at the moment, but you should find it easy enough. There has been a fair bit on it on the BBC news lately.

We are currently testing technology to tail meteors and track their trajectories/take samples. We've successfully tailed another passing meteor recently.

The idea at the moment is to literally blow it up Armageddon style, luckily we still have 21 years (or 30 odd depending on how close it gets).

I'll be watching this one with interest over the coming years.

Previous Rides:
KH Laser TX3
EF Futura (RIP)
EL XR6
AU2 XR6
BA XR8
BF XR8
BF Wagon (XR6 Lookalike supercharged)
2014 Ford Ranger XLT
2000 AU XR8 with all the options boxes ticked (RIP)
2005 BA Mk 2 Fairmont Ghia V8
2012 FG Mk 2 XR6T

G.M.H. - Get a Mechanic...Hurry!!
El Sucio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #73
gtfpv
GT

another. latest update.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPw78L_yhE0
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 02:43 AM   #74
hypnodoc
Its All In Your Mind

Life is too short to worry about what might happen. The end of the world has been predicted since the beginning of civilisation. One things for sure, regardless of how it happens, it ends for us all one day. make the most of it while you are here I reckon : :

Xtreme Tuned: 375 RwKw (502 RwHp) & 820 Nm:
Whhooooooosssssssshhhhhh
HSV HUNTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

BA Phoons 013 and 333 Gone
hypnodoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 02:48 AM   #75
hypnodoc
Its All In Your Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sucio
There is a meteor on a collision course with earth. It's next pass is in the year 2017 and it is expected to pass between the earth and the moon. We'll know on this next pass if it will collide with the earth on it's following pass (2029) or another one after that.

It's not a planet killer. But with the destructive power of approx 200 Megatons it will definitely annihilate any of the world's largest cities (New York, London, New Delhi, etc).

You can research it. The meteor's name escapes me at the moment, but you should find it easy enough. There has been a fair bit on it on the BBC news lately.

We are currently testing technology to tail meteors and track their trajectories/take samples. We've successfully tailed another passing meteor recently.

The idea at the moment is to literally blow it up Armageddon style, luckily we still have 21 years (or 30 odd depending on how close it gets).

I'll be watching this one with interest over the coming years.
It might make a big hole if it did hit. But in reality even if it was 100 klm wide it would have the same force as firing a particle of dust at 250,000 kph at a golf ball, bugger all would happen except perhaps a few waves as there is a 75% chance it would hit the ocean.

Whhooooooosssssssshhhhhh
HSV HUNTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #76
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnodoc
It might make a big hole if it did hit. But in reality even if it was 100 klm wide it would have the same force as firing a particle of dust at 250,000 kph at a golf ball, bugger all would happen except perhaps a few waves as there is a 75% chance it would hit the ocean.
If it were 100km wide hitting at around 50km/sec, bend over put your head between your knees and kiss your cheeks good..

In reality, kiss civilsation goodbye. The asteroid that caused the K-T event is theorised to have only been several kilometers wide. The force of an impact of 100kms wide would be equivalent to probably several trillion nuclear weapons detonated simultaneously. You'd want to be wearing a lot of sunblock and have your floaties on that day!
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #77
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
If it were 100km wide hitting at around 50km/sec, bend over put your head between your knees and kiss your cheeks good..

In reality, kiss civilsation goodbye. The asteroid that caused the K-T event is theorised to have only been several kilometers wide. The force of an impact of 100kms wide would be equivalent to probably several trillion nuclear weapons detonated simultaneously. You'd want to be wearing a lot of sunblock and have your floaties on that day!
Agreed, it would have to have a catastrophic effect no matter where it hits. If something that large lands in the ocean with that kind of force the displacement of the water from it's impact would cause numerous huge destructive Tsunamis going in all directions. Just think what happens when you add an ice cube to a glass of drink the more ice you add the glass soon overflows, the effect of a meteor that big striking the earth, I don't know about the floaties but I'm stocking up on undies.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 09:43 AM   #78
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
LOL.
Translation "Oops...forget the old story, here's another version. Once we took out all the bits that are now known to be wrong, there's not much left....but here it is!!"

BA GT-P Blueprint
Old 08-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #79
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man imagine if we all were gunna die but really it was just a dream hey have you seen the film the matrix that blew my mind man

*pulls another fat cone*
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #80
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't now about you people, but when 2012 arrives, I'll ensure I have a packet of lifesavers in my possesion for if this is really the end of reality!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #81
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First that hoax virus alert (they have been sending the same one around for years - IT IS A HOAX!) and now this :
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #82
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

The world will end when all the highly ranked individuals and bankers say it will end.

Hahah I watched zeitgeist too much.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #83
hypnodoc
Its All In Your Mind

Quote:

Yeah. Theories are always good. Look at the moon craters, they must have been from some big mothers, and it's still there.

Whhooooooosssssssshhhhhh
HSV HUNTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #84
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Havn't you guys ever seen The Simpsons, geez when it enters the earths atmosphere it will break up and end up no bigger than a chiwowa's head :P:P.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #85
troppo
Mr old phart

Quote:
Yeah. Theories are always good. Look at the moon craters, they must have been from some big mothers, and it's still there.
No don't look at the moon craters, there is something very strange about them, particularly the large ones...they just aren't deep enough. Almost as if there is a very hard (maybe impenetrable) layer just below the crust. They don't compare in to the ones found here on Earth in terms of penetration.

Why?....damn good question...

BA GT-P Blueprint
Old 08-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #86
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
If we're going to use that line of thinking... there's no life on the Moon therefore asteroid impacts extinguish life. QED.

I never suggested that a 100km asteroid would destroy the Earth, I just suggested the impact scope and the fact that it would end civilisation as we know it. It would most likely extinguish all life on our planet, most of it really quickly and the remaining slowly due to the atmosphere being covered in ash and blocking out the Sun for a few hundred years.

In the late 80's, astrophysicists had their panties in a bunch over an asteroid only 300m in diameter striking Earth estimated to impact with an explosion 1000 times that of an atomic bomb. If you've got research data that suggests that it would be like a speck of dust hitting a golf ball, by all means, pony it up, I'm fascinated with the Universe and how it works.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #87
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
No don't look at the moon craters, there is something very strange about them, particularly the large ones...they just aren't deep enough. Almost as if there is a very hard (maybe impenetrable) layer just below the crust. They don't compare in to the ones found here on Earth in terms of penetration.

Why?....damn good question...
The moon currently has the largest discovered crater in the solar system and does have scientists baffled. From memory it's ~2250km wide and ~13km deep and near the south (?) polar region of the moon. Appeared to be a low and slow glancing blow.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #88
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Lets see if I get this right... the Mayans are able to predict the end of the world (Did they have their own Uri Geller?) but were'nt able to predict the end of their own culture?.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #89
hypnodoc
Its All In Your Mind

Quote:
If we're going to use that line of thinking... there's no life on the Moon therefore asteroid impacts extinguish life. QED.

I never suggested that a 100km asteroid would destroy the Earth, I just suggested the impact scope and the fact that it would end civilisation as we know it. It would most likely extinguish all life on our planet, most of it really quickly and the remaining slowly due to the atmosphere being covered in ash and blocking out the Sun for a few hundred years.

In the late 80's, astrophysicists had their panties in a bunch over an asteroid only 300m in diameter striking Earth estimated to impact with an explosion 1000 times that of an atomic bomb. If you've got research data that suggests that it would be like a speck of dust hitting a golf ball, by all means, pony it up, I'm fascinated with the Universe and how it works.
I am an academic, and have based my dust particle-golf ball scenario on common sense. Most of what is postulated by academics is based on stastical theory and has little to do with the real world especially regarding Physics. It's a great way to keep the research dollars flowing in.
The present nonsense about man made global warming is a classic example of this. Any scientist can get a grant at the moment so long as man made CO2 emission research is involved. Same as the wash of 5 and stay alive garbage that justifies speed cameras. Anyway, throughout the millennia nothing has hit the planet yet to create total extinction cause if it did none of us would be here, so I don't think we are likely to experience anything like this for a few more 1000 millennia. We can agree to disagree.

Whhooooooosssssssshhhhhh
HSV HUNTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #90
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I am an academic,