Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #61
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_XR
How cheap is a bottom of the range 5 series or E class in the UK? You would think it is that these cars a G6ET would compete with. Also with the exchange rate at around 2:1 you would think that getting the car over there would be cheaper
The Top Gear test of the VXR8 had a drag race against the Euro's of the same price - BMW 530i, M-B E-class 2.8 and Audi A6 3.2. You would have to think a G6E-T would be cheaper (and G6E cheaper again) but I think as mentioned most people spending that much money on a car want a german badge on it, or an SUV - the same as one of the major factors that killed the Fairlane here. I don't think a diesel engine would make a difference either. Now a Territory could be a different proposition!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #62
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone seen 'thank you for smoking'? Get a G6E-T in a movie ;)
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 05:18 AM   #63
Hardtop
XBGT Hardtop

The problem is the cost of petrol in the UK, its one of the most expensive places in the world, thats why ordinary run of the mill falcons/commodores wont work in the UK, they'd be to expensive to run.

Vauxhall only import 300 per year, due to limit for low volume import's (300) it means they dont have to get extensive crash testing and other expensive tests carried out for high volume sales.

Could they sell more? who knows the VXR8 retails at roughly half the price of an M5.

Ford could bring over falcons, but they're slower so why would they sell?

I have seen a colman milne furneral car local to me, also seen a few AU's for sale but i would never buy one as they're one of the ugliest cars to wear a Ford badge, perhaps Ford should make the falc LHD and go to Europe.

Ford's 4WD might actually sell over here though as a lot of people buy em over here for some strange reason.

Monaro's VXR8's attract the highest rego rate of Approx £440,

Perhaps Holden/opel should stick some badges on the LHD pontiacs and go to Europe as well.

Seen a few AU Ford utes or Verte's for sale as well, never actually saw any advertised when new for sale, they were 4.0 running on straight LPG which over here costs about half the price of petol.

On rare occasions i've been shopping in the XB, just park accross 2 spaces ;) parking problem dissappears then.

You could buy Falcons/fairmonts/fairlanes over here in the 70's from the ford dealer's in England as top of the range from a brochure, and my old neighbour told me a story about driving his bosses fairlane around town, and spinning the wheels from the lights.
Hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post