Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What would you do? Multiple choices allowed.
Take a leaf out of Mitsubishi/Nissan books and become an importer only. 13 8.61%
Retain the Falcon platform for as long as possible and do whatever refreshes the budget allows. 84 55.63%
Find a replacement for Falcon/Territory in the global portfolio. 53 35.10%
Something else. 25 16.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #61
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Ford and the Future - your say...

The final say always comes from Detroit. FoA can ask for things if they have a business case but only Detroit can approve it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #62
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The final say always comes from Detroit. FoA can ask for things if they have a business case but only Detroit can approve it.
And yet all the vetos of late have come from Ford Australia themselves...

FoA have to submit valid business plans for continuation of Falcon and Territory,
that can only be done after all global alternatives have been dismissed and the USE of
a local design having a distinct marketing advantage.

I would think that the cost of changing is greater than staying with falcon/Territory for now...
2014 falcon costs Ford $50 million for two more years production, add government
subsidized emission development ($20 million) and Falcon gets another two years life until 2018...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #63
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Ford and the Future - your say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
See above in red.
Hi DashGT,

You know way too much about what's going on at dealer level. Which dealer are you at?
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #64
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Hi DashGT,

You know way too much about what's going on at dealer level. Which dealer are you at?
How? I'm just speculating on what I think needs to be done. I don't work for a dealer.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #65
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am like most others here that believe the final decision is not for the FoA President and CEO to make. Here are reasons why its hard to keep Falcon & Territory going according to gadgetman anyway.
(1) The whole large sedan lack of practicality. Have a look at the boot space of a Mondeo/Mazda 6. Destroys the falcon and commodore. Comparable legroom and kills the falcon for tech.

(2) The perceived fuel economy issues that Falcon has. We (us Ford Enthusiast) know that the Falcon is easy on fuel considering size but the masses that don't simply think they are overpowered and thirsty.

(3) The bogan factor: Well alot of people now want niche vehicles that dont yell taxi when you pull up at a gathering. I was at a gathering last week and couldnt find a VB or a Carlton draught anywhere. There were Stellas. Peroni's, Becks and Asahi's. Now I love my VB's but tell you what, those Asahi's go alright and its only a little dearer plus you get to look all metrosexual drinking it. Bit like driving a volkswagen isnt it. You look Arty. Looks like Falcon and Commodore is suffering the same fate. Way too bogan for the masses. VB have tried Boony dolls, giving away bar fridges and a whole lot more to try and get some of their market share back but has failed dramatically.

(4) Local suppliers. It is getting way to hard for local suppliers to build the low volume that's required for local manufacturers to be price competetive. That has led to a number of these businesses into voluntary administration. Ford then cant get parts like Lpg tanks and guess what, you cant build a falcon for months. Sounds familiar?

(5) Price Competitiveness. Can you build a car in Australia, given what we have to pay the average worker. Liablilties and all the hoops a business has to jump through in order to turn on the lights each day in our country ( I will say that I am not against workcover or any policy that helps against negligence at workplaces) does make it very hard for a business to justify its existence in australia as compared to asian countries. That probably explains why Ford asia pacific did the backflip when it came to LW focus in Australia.

Anyway I'm sure they will work it out. Build the cars that people want that has quality that's higher than its price suggest and you wont lose. Just a shame not many want a Falcon atm.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #66
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

With the greatest of respect, you are basing your perceptions on today's Falcon, not what's coming in 2014.

The only major change I would wish FoA to make to the 2014 car would be to incorporate the Mondeo's hatch back and bustle tail.
I think that change would be enough to differentiate a new Falcon from being just another big sedan..

Survivability is about reinvention, why people liked big cars in the first place and the how and why they lost their standing/ appeal..
Catch the public's imagination in a large vehicle that offers more than what a sedan with a boot can and you have a chance..

Last edited by jpd80; 06-03-2013 at 07:24 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #67
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A large portion of people here will choose "Retain the Falcon platform for as long as possible and do whatever refreshes the budget allows."

It depends how you think about it. Most people are here because they love ford and the falcon and thats why they vote for it. Also we are australian and support local manufacturing.

The people ultimatly making the decisions are business people.

If I look at it from a business perspective it really depress's me to say the falcon is probably in a bit of trouble. Perhaps I would keep it as a niche model for enthusiasts, and push ecoboost 4cyl sales to fleet, if demand is even there?

But the blue blood quickly flows and I have a whole heap of justifications for keeping it because I love the falcon and australian built fordds.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #68
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
A large portion of people here will choose "Retain the Falcon platform for as long as possible and do whatever refreshes the budget allows."

Yep agree .... as long as it doesn't impact on quality and features though.

Would hate to see the Falcon just survive and limp along as a lame duck against its competitors. It needs to be as good as or better than the rest and when it isn't, then its time to move on ..... Australian built or not unfortunately.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #69
Falcman0o7
Banned

Do a survey and get the public's opinion to what they would like in a car ( falcon )
And give them it!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #70
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7 View Post
Do a survey and get the public's opinion to what they would like in a car ( falcon )
And give them it!
How about keyless go. As in smart start that's been in a mondeo for 6 years, focus for 4 years. Hope the 14 has that.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #71
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
With the greatest of respect, you are basing your perceptions on today's Falcon, not what's coming in 2014.

The only major change I would wish FoA to make to the 2014 car would be to incorporate the Mondeo's hatch back and bustle tail.
I think that change would be enough to differentiate a new Falcon from being just another big sedan..

Survivability is about reinvention, why people liked big cars in the first place and the how and why they lost their standing/ appeal..
Catch the public's imagination in a large vehicle that offers more than what a sedan with a boot can and you have a chance..
Appreciate everything you're saying here and some very good points.
The unfortunate scenario is that the investment required (including Federal and state funds) is just not enought brass to build a competitively priced vehicle in australia. Sad but true.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #72
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

i would market the current products more.Ford have some kick *** products but advertising needs to be ramped up to showcase them more.i have way to many ideas on advertising to type it here.
make sure any car shows,supercar meets,etc etc have a good stock of Fords on show.deck a few out with after market wheels and crap to show the potential.
even get a few Rangers on display at rodeos etc.make sure some are decked out with bull bars, tyres and things like that.even offer package deals like mazda do with bill bars,uhf,wheels and tyres etc.
id bang a crate v8 in from the US to get us a cheap xr8 to compete with the ss.
i would offer manuals as a special order on models that come in auto only.
i would try to get the mustang and falcon on the same platform.one reason is so that the mustang could be bought in as an FPV or utilise some mustang design into a falcon coupe.
possibly run a factory team in production car racing.
possibly look at 5 year 150 000km warrantys.
im sure ive subjected everyone to my poor typing but you get the drift.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #73
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Option 2 for me. Go down fighting I say.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #74
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I'd try and get the wagon back as a fleet hack only. Keep it as the BFIII and do mechanical/emissions upgrade with bluetooth in it. I would look at getting this wagon back as a taxi pack as well as get Telstra on board and try recapture that market. I also know of other companies that would like the Falcon wagon again as it was a good workhorse.

I would wanna try to get a RTV style ute (well the minimum would be a jacked up version) and if its not like the RTV of old then I would just badge it as a tradesman.

I would also explore export opportunities.

If all this cannot be done then I would be fighting for Ranger and Everest to be built here and if there is room a global large car. The reason I have said Everest instead of Terry is because if Falcon goes so will Terri and it would be more cost effective to build Everest on the same line.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #75
JG34JA

Some great ideas from many angles here.

I'd keep it indigenous for as long as I could: every time a new Falcon decision has been made, for cars released 1972, 1979, 1988, 1998 and probably 2008 too, the decision to be replaced by a foreign Ford has been weighed and dismissed. With current volumes in a multi-fragmented market, it's a decision to continue to produce the current one and not make a new one.

I'd say bin Mondeo as well (next to no impact despite quality, plagued with supply issues), but that negates the next model, which may be a cracker. As it is, it sits uncomfortably between Falcon and Focus, but at least offers a wagon and diesel.

If we are keeping Falcon, what extra can we add in appeal? How about long options lists? The global parts bin may help this. The ability to individualise/custom build cars from exciting options. More practicality (wagon)? It's a full size car, why not use that full width with more flexible seat choices - there hasn't been a 6 seater for a decade. Country packs, tow packs. Utes with 'Outback' pack if diesel RTV's are beyond development cost. And of course, find ways to get the message out. Remember 'Going Ford is the Going Thing'? How about 'We've Got Your New Car On Ice'? Or more recently, 'Can't get Enough of This'.

Choosing to manufacture domestically might be well beyond product planning, however. If costs of doing business continue to increase just as the AUD does, all this might be academic.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #76
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, if I were running this as a businessman, the only decision that makes sense is to go importer only. This immediately cuts out your biggest expense, high local wages.

If I wanted to retain Falcon, however, it would require a serious next update, not just new taillights and a couple of extra toys. Price it in the mid 30's, drop the I6, and go with Ecoboost, LPI and diesel (if it could be done). And make sure it qualifies for all of the "green" and "fleet" sales.

I don't think you can shrink it (otherwise people might as well buy a Focus etc for significantly less), but find a way of making it a hatchback and/or lose some kilos to improve fuel efficiency.

Then ADVERTISE it, and do it properly by going the man on the opposition. Why Ford never promoted Ecoboost Falcon as using the same, or less, fuel than a Mazda 3 automatic I'll never know.

It almost seemed like a concession that it wouldn't sell, and "Hey, you can't say we didn't give it a crack."

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #77
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much time is left for the Mondeo badge in Oz?
2016 with the Falcon decision is my guess if not before. Fusion fits, Modeo doesn't .

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #78
XWGT