Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #61
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate
There only one way to describe this "Bloody Idiot". Should of got 3 years in jail and a fine.

Actually driving that speed is ******* stupid and should of been handed a sentence of jail time. I know of one person first drink driving offence, backing his car out of the drive way onto the grass and got 6months in jail in nsw. At that speed someone pulls infront of him he could of collected them and good chance would of killed himself and yet a unknown number of people. You ever heard about someone speeding and taking multiple lifes doing the right thing?

FPV8u you need to wake up to yourself.

Jeff
I call bullshit, even if it was high range DUI he wouldn't get jail time for a first offence DUI. How can they book you for DUI for driving on private property, does that mean any one riding a motor bike or any underage person driving a car on a property can be booked for driving unlicenced, unregistered & uninsured : .

I'd guess and say he was on parole for another crime and never had a licence and got caught driving the car, probally only just got it on the road then got pulled up.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #62
starwars_guy456

Well, everyone here has put forward their point of view as to why they think that guy should be imprisoned or not. The magistrate/judge/whatever sentencing him has numerous factors to consider. Check the "sentencing principles" for your state.

Stuff like rehabilitation of the offender sits up pretty high on the list. Other factors like deterrence (for both the offender and the community in general), and current sentencing practices (ie what other judges would sentence for this same offence nowadays) are relevant too. I reckon sending that guy off to prison won't teach him that what he did was wrong, if anything, it'll make him more resentful of the law and authorities, and surrounded by bad role models. He'll probably be worse when he gets out.

Fact is, nobody wants to waste their time. If the judge lays down a sentence which is excessive, the offender will appeal the sentence, and chances are the next judge hearing the appeal will bump it down to a more reasonable penalty.

The judge will be more inclined to sentence him to prison if he offends again, and it appears that previous penalties has not performed the function of educating him. From what i know, though, imprisonment is pretty much a last-resort penalty on the individual.

Cheers, Edwin
starwars_guy456 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #63
old_phoon

So what happened to the other driver, why wasn't he charged??
The guy was lucky to get away with the short ban & small fine. I wonder if the reason he 's advertised the car is so his lawyer said it would look good in court.
Stupid to drive so fast in Freemantle (East) High St.......isn't that one of the main roads through the centre
Old 07-06-2007, 11:59 AM   #64
XRQTOR
Banned

I lost my licence for 2 year's in sep last year, i attened an 8 week course run by the police & rta. All Dui drivers have to attend this course, i was advised to as it would look good before i got sentanced. It was a pretty eye opening course, they actually showed pics of real accidents where people had lost their lifes. Some people actually left the room because they couldn't handle the pics, they didn't phase me in the slightest. What did tho was having the families of people who were killed by drunk driver's & people who lost their kids because they were 1ok's over the limit. Most of the course was useless but the one night they had the families come in really made an impact.

The focus of the whoe course was 95% Dui & 5% speeding or wreckless driving, even the HWP instructor who spoke at the course addmitted that drink driver's are 1oo times more likely to crash that a speeding driver. Blowing mid range is like doing double the limit i think one said. In saying that all of the people who were killed from speeding it all came down to driver error weather it be not paying attention, getting distracted, JUDGEING distances or speed <----- BIggest issue esp with yound people particularly females. The main thing i saw in this course is that there needs to be a focus on driver traing, people are taught to pass a basic test not how to drive. Driver error is the biggest single factor in the road death toll.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 12:07 PM   #65
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_phoon
So what happened to the other driver, why wasn't he charged??
The guy was lucky to get away with the short ban & small fine. I wonder if the reason he 's advertised the car is so his lawyer said it would look good in court.
Stupid to drive so fast in Freemantle (East) High St.......isn't that one of the main roads through the centre
Yes it is a main thoroughfare.
As for the other driver , the news report only said that he was not stopped, presumably there was only one Police car and could only get one and presumably unable to get his rego either.
Now that he's been dealt with in Court his car has probably come off the For Sale page, it's an old trick scumbag lawyers use frequently.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #66
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

race actually took place on leach highway guys.. he was stopped on high street

racecraft has the best point so far, and i agree with him.
now im not going to say that it wasn't a silly thing to do, but running someone over walking on a highway at 10.20pm?? get a grip, he wasn't going to work in peak hour traffic.

i have been pinged going 75kph over the limit, no loss of licence for me.. it was on a freeway at 4am, and there was one car on the freeway at the time, me.

put him in jail? you cant be serious.. know how many people have been killed on these late night cruises over here in wa in the last 5 years? not one.. and these cruises can be found every weekend.

just my opinion and some facts from me.. punishment sounds fair to me.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #67
photn
AFF Post NAZI

so who is expecting another form to sign now for car cruises!?

i agree that it was stupid, but what i find *interesting* (to say the least) is that every1 on here passes judgment saying what an idiot and what not, yet everyone or Nearly everyone on here has speed at least once in their life.

Regardless of how far over you where going speeding is speeding, the fact that driving normally and loosing control of a car and killing sumone has nothing to do with it (yer rite!) if you where speeding and doing like 10k over (accidently) and hurt sumone i bet everyone here would call you an idiot!...

only 1 word that describes this Reched World we live in: HYPOCRYTICAL (sp?)

/rant...

my point of view.. have a good day to all.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 07:20 PM   #68
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez, this thread really did get a lot of notice! - Turned out to be a bit of a heated debate.

I have heard on the grape vine that the now defunct Fremantle Prison (now a tourist destination) could be used as an "overnighter" prison for people like this P plater.
He could have been sent to this "Jail" for one night to see what he could get if he re-offends also included is the fine and his licence suspention. (plus I would have liked to see his car confiscated - his brother could have bought it for all we know)

And yes they really did unnecessarily over mention the "car cruise" aye!?

PS, the prison is haunted, I was not a believer untill I went to a party one night for a friend who's aunty is the manager. I saw and heard some scary stuff and his photos has some amazing unexplained images.
Would like to hear this P plater scream with fright all night hahahaha.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #69
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordowner
Geez, this thread really did get a lot of notice! - Turned out to be a bit of a heated debate.

I have heard on the grape vine that the now defunct Fremantle Prison (now a tourist destination) could be used as an "overnighter" prison for people like this P plater.
He could have been sent to this "Jail" for one night to see what he could get if he re-offends also included is the fine and his licence suspention. (plus I would have liked to see his car confiscated - his brother could have bought it for all we know)

And yes they really did unnecessarily over mention the "car cruise" aye!?

PS, the prison is haunted, I was not a believer untill I went to a party one night for a friend who's aunty is the manager. I saw and heard some scary stuff and his photos has some amazing unexplained images.
Would like to hear this P plater scream with fright all night hahahaha.
Once again a reasonable idea, won't do much if they are a deep sleeper though
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #70
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

I think the punishment is fair, but one thing i notice in my local newspaper in the police briefs, is the high amount of people caught driving without a licence. Most have lost it due to previous convictions and don't care that they lost their licences, maybe this is the area that the law should come down hard.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 10:47 PM   #71
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
I think the punishment is fair, but one thing i notice in my local newspaper in the police briefs, is the high amount of people caught driving without a licence. Most have lost it due to previous convictions and don't care that they lost their licences, maybe this is the area that the law should come down hard.
digressing, but i agree. driving unlicensed shows a blatant disregard for authority and the community in general.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 11:19 PM   #72
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordowner
Mr 'X', 19, faced the Fremantle Magistrates Court on a charge of driving in an excess of 155kmh after he was caught speeding at 165kmh in a 60kmh zone along High Street East Fremantle, last Friday night.
Thought I'd refocus the discussion. This idiot was not just doing 10km/h over, he was over 100km/h over the speed limit.

There is absolutely no excuse for this behaviour. At that speed, he could have easily lost control of the car or hit and killed another innocent motorist.

These guys are usually repeat offenders. They never learn till its too late and they kill themselves or someone else.
BionicGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #73
old_phoon

Is the general respose hypocricital? - not really IMO.
Perhaps more the case of people have been there or have seen carnage 1st hand and know the potential for drivers to keep screwing up unless the punishment gives that person a wake-up call. Confiscating the car, large fine and long ban might help to make an offender think next time. Of course some people will never learn.
9mnths and 1k is nothing now.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:15 PM   #74
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he was racing on Leach Highway near High Street, that's still a stupid place to be racing... there is **** all room there...

As for the whole speed factor, It's a known fact that on most car cruises here in WA speed is a common factor... but anythin mroe than 150k an hour and you are just being a right ********. He deserves to LOSE his car, not sell it, and suspended for year...
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #75
xr62nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Without fail he is always replying to members audio queries (often answering the same questions multiple times) and his experience comes from working as an audio installer 

yeh jail, are people stupid, he was racing big deal get over it, no one was hurt and chances of someone getting hurt at that time are low and im certain at that speed the drivers concentration would of been alot better...

All i have to say to people saying he needs a jail term is
i hope some sort of law like that gets brought out and i and everyone i no will never stop for a cop again... Hmmm thats gonna be helpful and safe

AGREE 100% with FPV8U..
xr62nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2007, 10:57 PM   #76
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr62nv
yeh jail, are people stupid, he was racing big deal get over it, no one was hurt and chances of someone getting hurt at that time are low and im certain at that speed the drivers concentration would of been alot better...

i hope some sort of law like that gets brought out and i and everyone i no will never stop for a cop again... Hmmm thats gonna be helpful and safe

AGREE 100% with FPV8U..

Not a very mature attitude. He was breaking the law whether you think it was safe or not.
BionicGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #77
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

AGREE 100% with FPV8U..
WTF.
I'll leave it at that for fear of getting in trouble with the monitors.
I don't agree with either of you 100%.
Maybe we should get a poll attacehd to this thread somehow.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:50 PM   #78
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont think you guys can condemn him, yes, what he did was stupid but he shouldnt be attacked like this. can ANY ONE of you tell me that you havnt breached the speedlimit by over at least 50kays before? we all have and we all probably will again... you shouldnt castrate him for what everyone does, the only difference between him and other drivers is he got caught..

and what babys are going to be out on the streets at 10:30pm?
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2007, 12:43 AM   #79
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:

AGREE 100% with FPV8U..
While i don't agree with that, as unpredictable things can and will happen, the rest of what you have to say is pretty much spot on.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2007, 02:26 AM   #80
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

It's disappointing that it draws negative attention to the online car communities that by and large act very responsibly and promote an active attitude of 'save it for the track'.

I'm sure the offender will learn his lesson from this... let's hope others in their community do also.