Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #61
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
whilst bradman may have an average of 99.94, he only played 52 tests. not taking anything away from his career stats but i'd put a little indian fellow and possibly a small west indian fellow ahead of him. tendulkar has just racked up his 43rd test hundred (45 in ODI's) and is closing in on 13000 runs.

there are players these days that average well over 100 for a season or 2 (admittedly not 50 tests).
...and not Ponting - who's record is probably better than that of Lara and Tendulkar? Higher average/conversion rate and shouldered the burden of captaincy significantly better.

Yes, Bradman played fewer tests and on wickets that today's officials would likely abandon. His conversion rate and average is just head and shoulders above everyone else that has ever played cricket. He's a statistical anomaly. Played fewer tests, issues with travelling, illness and game time and a war in the middle of his career...
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #62
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I reckon the AUII was the best Sportsman of all time. Sure there's the ZL Sportsman which was pretty cool, but the AU takes the cake.

Oh sorry, what? Sport?
Old 23-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #63
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

Bradman from Wiki

Most runs against another single country
Most runs in a day
Most runs in a series
Most double centuries in a seires
Most double centuries full stop
Averaged over 100 in 7 different seasons (no one else has done this)
Most consecutive matches for a century
Most single session centuries
Highest career average
Highest series average.

yes.. in 52 tests. but don't forget his domestic career either (338 total innings at 95 average)

Bradman Cricket Batting average 4.4
Pelé Association football Goals per game 3.7
Ty Cobb Baseball Batting average 3.6
Jack Nicklaus Golf Major titles 3.5
Michael Jordan Basketball Points per game 3.4

The figures on the right are standard deviations from the mean.

There is no one better.
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #64
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

"NORM" from the "Life be in it" campaign. He was an allround sportsman.......
Old 23-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #65
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
"NORM" from the "Life be in it" campaign. He was an allround sportsman.......
So im told!! the older i get the better i was...

Old 23-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #66
BOSHOG
avenge me

what about Billy? that bugger starred at every sport!
Old 23-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #67
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
whilst bradman may have an average of 99.94, he only played 52 tests. not taking anything away from his career stats but i'd put a little indian fellow and possibly a small west indian fellow ahead of him. tendulkar has just racked up his 43rd test hundred (45 in ODI's) and is closing in on 13000 runs.

there are players these days that average well over 100 for a season or 2 (admittedly not 50 tests).
i would think the amount of tests he played is not that important. sure if he played 10 or less or even under 20, then maybe that is a valid point. i would think the more valid point, is that when bradman was playing there was no time limits for tests. therefore if good enough bradman (and anyone else) could have batted for 10 days. the fact that tests only go for 5 days now, means an average of 100 is realisically not possible. however, i do believe considering the pitches bradman played on compared to the current flat decks that i could make a run or two on, the bodyline series etc. bradman stands head and shoulders above anyone else in batting achievements. it should also be remembered that bradman's average was over twice that of his peers. the players you mentioned are only a realitively small amount above their peers, which would suggest that batting has become much easier over the years
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #68
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The Fairlane Sportman model of course.