Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #61
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Looking Back: Best Australian Cars

Maybe not my favourite car, but in terms of engineering the latest fg has to be it. I believe the 6 cylinder has been dubbed the second best inline six ever built behind a bmw motor aswell.....could be wrong though, it has happened!
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #62
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Xa-xb-xc
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #63
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm only going to speak from experience however brief.

Ford - BF series Falcon. In XR6 form pretty good car and had it over the SV6. ZF auto is smooth but given I like manuals it really only goes that far for me.

I've never actually driven a Falcon so can't comment from that perspective. I'd imagine the FG to be the same or better and the XR6T to be a ball tearer.

Holden - VE series Commodore. We had an SV6 and again a pretty good car but it felt every bit as big as it looked. Not enough power for my liking but plenty enough for average Joe. Horrible A pillar though.

I actually drove my mates VE SSV Redline II manual the other day. I think if the VF is better than this one than it must be damn good.

It got up and went easily, handling was very sharp for a large car (easily better than the SV6), and the Brembos made short work of stopping. Very nice V8 sound from the stock exhaust even down low.

I don't know why you'd bother modding it too much because it was plenty quick and it would be a good buy given the new model is out.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #64
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
But the reality is today that most of the mass production manufactureres really just assemble parts collected from here, there and everywhere, what they 'manufacture' is a body shell and bolt suppliers parts to it. Not far removed from CKD (Im being deliberately controversial)JP
Yes you are. Manufacturing (in this country especially) has never meant producing every single component and to suggest that the construction of the body shell and manufacture of bolt on panels is akin to CKD draws a very long bow.

I watched various British Leyland CKD kits being packed into large wooden packing cases at the Cowley plant back in the early 70's for shipment to Australia and all of what I would deem manufacturing was done there.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #65
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

BEST Australian car ever made:
FG GT 335
LANDAU

Not that I am biased or anything but after for so many years I have been lucky enough to buy the 2 cars I have always wanted ....... even though I never aspired to own an FG GT (being new) but the minute they were announced I knew, in my mind, it would surpass all other Australian made cars ...... and it certainly did

The Landau? Great looks, bit quirky, had all the good bits from the 70's including a 351, was revolutionary at the time ... and for some time ..... rare enough to be that little bit different. A credit for FoA (or any AU company) to go out on such a limb and create something so unique.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #66
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

three letters... the aussie UTE
Old 16-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #67
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

EB Tickford S-XR6, proved that you don't need V8 or forced induction to make similar power.
Old 16-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #68
tweeked
N/A all the way

Probably the hardest core suspension packages sold from the factory

one of my favourites is still
Attached Images
File Type: jpg autowp.ru_nissan_skyline_silhouette_gts_1[1].jpg (54.2 KB, 63 views)

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #69
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

I'll have more to add but off the top of my head the VN SS Group A.
As much as I dislike the VN Commodore this is the last of what made Australian cars great, built to race.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #70
littlered
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza View Post
No. The VB-VH used an identical bodyshell to the European Opel Commodore. Alongside the Opel Commodore was a lengthened version called the Opel Senator. This formed the basis of the VK-VL.
Um - not to be picky but that is not correct.

VK & VL Same body length as VB-VH. window C Pillar, roofline and rear window doorframes are the only changes. Was meant to make the car look bigger (it wasn't) so that the buyer would take another look instead of buying a falcon (which was creaming them at the time).

Obviously worked as you thought it was bigger
littlered is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #71
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Still want to get a VL turbo one day, was supposed to get a VL Calais for my first car but my uncle gave it to a mate :( still remember the utter disappointment.
Old 16-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #72
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlered View Post
Um - not to be picky but that is not correct.

VK & VL Same body length as VB-VH. window C Pillar, roofline and rear window doorframes are the only changes. Was meant to make the car look bigger (it wasn't) so that the buyer would take another look instead of buying a falcon (which was creaming them at the time).

Obviously worked as you thought it was bigger

Yeah, the original Opel version was called a Rekord which was the basis of early commos vb to vl, then came the Opel Omega which was the basis of the vn to vz. There was also the Vauxhaul Carlton and Senator version too which was basically an Omega anyhow i think (those names sound familiar dont they?).
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.

Last edited by mif73; 16-12-2013 at 11:23 PM.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #73
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my rural QLD town, AU falcons were everywhere on release. A car for everyone, bench seat Forte wagon for the young family to the V8 Fairmont Ghia the old blokes seemed to like.

And the cab-chassis AU ute was probably one of the last times we saw the Falcon evolve and adapt to customer demands, the bloody AU ute used to sell 1500-2000 in a good month.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #74
stevz
Banned

I prefer the late model stuff - VE/VF and FG, as these were the first rated 5 stars for safety, which is a major factor in my purchases.
Having said that, I still have a sweet spot for a lot of the older stuff, but onlt as a weekender, not a daily.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #75
max_torq
From the Futura

The BA Falcon: It brought overhead camshafts, turbos, independent rear, the GT nameplate, and good looks a ford fan could be proud of.

Holden should be proud of the Sportswagon: Its a good looking, popular, useful car, Americans are envious of it... ford wagon owners also.
Old 17-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #76
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

best cars
FORD - well I think any falcon from xr to xf really was a well built car and very reliable so I think its hard for me to single one out.

CHRYSLER - a lot of people wont like this but the cm really was the pick of them, rts made them drive and handle great and the elb ignition made them do under 10.L per hundred km's. a great car

HOLDEN- I have to admit im struggling here as most holdens I have ever driven have failed to impress me. they lacked power until they got the 350 in the late vt commodores and I don't know what the obsession with them is. probably a 308 lx hatch would be my choice here.

ENGINES
FORD - for me its the windsor small block, small light weight and responsive a sweet motor. the humble 250 log motor, the log motor has to be one of the best motors ever made quiet, smooth and run forever and if you were lucky enough to have experienced a factory xy/xa with the 250 2v fitted you will know what I mean.

CHRYSLER - the 265 hemi or any hemi 6 for that matter is a legend. light strong and powerfull, chrysler made a 6cyl with v8 power and 6cyl economy and the basic engine design was good out of the box. 426 hemi probably the ultimate factory motor.

HOLDEN - probably the red 6, not my choice of motor but when it came out in the eh it was a big deal and so many red 6's have been done up over the years its not funny. and I guess it does have a few runs on the board so it deserves its place. 308 but in a torana for me, in stock form the 308 was a bit of a slug to me but now they can get the numbers out of it.

WORST CAR - I have had and seem so many real lemons, I think you can have trouble with any car if abused and not looked after.

WORST ENGINE - 253 there I said it, underpowered heavy boat anchor. flame away but it wont change my mind they are crap.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post