Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2007, 01:39 AM   #61
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang70
yeah maybe they're not tough,just not got any power going through them. the nissan 3.0TD is for mum and kids patrols.
From personal experience, I can honestly say that my 02 3ltr patrol had absolutely no problems cruising along with, cruisers, troopies, landies, and other assorted 4x4's. We were not doing weekend trips to the snow either. Living out here you really get a feel for what is a competant off roader and what it not. And just for the record, the only 4 wheelers that have been stuck on any of my outback excursions have been IFS trucks. No brand bias here, IFS is NOT for going bush. I think that some folk like to knock the nissan 3ltr, because of their success. They are a good motor when maintened properly.
Old 31-03-2007, 02:10 AM   #62
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinpiston
They will be the biggest waste of money you could get..... $54k with no airbags, no ABS and NO AIR-CONDITIONING, plus the engine has been absolutely strangled to only produce those pathetic power out puts....
Clearly someone with nay an idea on what the 75 series (and teh Landie Defenders) are all about. Get yourself a 4wd with ABS EBD DSC Air con and all the rest of the crap and watch it go places where the 75's do. Watch it last as long as a 75.

Luxury is not what these 70 series cruisers are about. Theyre a rugged, go anywhere beast designed for aussie conditions,and they never let up. I've got Mpegs of them driving up to the window sills in water. They are unbeleivable. The new front has made them look softer which is a little dissappointing, but it was inevitable.

I'd have one in a heartbeat! What phenominal cars!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 02:20 AM   #63
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Clearly someone with nay an idea on what the 75 series (and teh Landie Defenders) are all about. Get yourself a 4wd with ABS EBD DSC Air con and all the rest of the crap and watch it go places where the 75's do. Watch it last as long as a 75.

Luxury is not what these 70 series cruisers are about. Theyre a rugged, go anywhere beast designed for aussie conditions,and they never let up. I've got Mpegs of them driving up to the window sills in water. They are unbeleivable. The new front has made them look softer which is a little dissappointing, but it was inevitable.

I'd have one in a heartbeat! What phenominal cars!
Well said you, obviousley know your trucks..... Luxury comes second.
Old 31-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #64
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Clearly someone with nay an idea on what the 75 series (and the Landie Defenders) are all about. Get yourself a 4wd with ABS EBD DSC Air con and all the rest of the crap and watch it go places where the 75's do. Watch it last as long as a 75.
Um, hate to intrude but I think the answer is called Range Rover.

And probably the only one such - not that I'm advocating it for the uses being discussed in this thread. As my farmer uncle used to say, you can't throw a dead sheep in the back because it ruins the carpet.
:

My only other comment is that the rollover capabilities of some of those trucks is marvellous, particularly when taken on highways by suburbanites who then write off their families because they get brained as it rolls due to lack of side air curtains. Minor point only not applicable to bushies who have tough heads!
Old 31-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #65
DODDO
Can man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Have a look around at other offerings...... The engine outputs are good. Most 4x4 drivers avaoid ABS like the plague. And Air con is a option, no big deal. Airbags?? Who cares. Seems like you should do some more homework on 4 wheelers.
I disaree there. The company whom i work for used to buy the 75 series,but with new OH&S policies, will not buy vehicles which do not have airbags and ABS, simply because it doesnt meet the rising OH&S standards throughout industry. Our company used to buy HEAPS of these things, but because Toyota will not pick up there act, will have to resort to the 4.2 litre 6 cyl Nissan patrol cab chassis.
I agree, the Toyota is a better vehicle than the Nissan, absolutely bullet proof, but with more and more companies having stricter OH&S regulations, they will find it harder to sell their vehicles.

Also, i hope they have improved the turning circle on these things. The 75 series is absolute crap for manouverability.
I agree that they are a ideal farmers vehicle, but with the drought still iminent throughout most of Australia, who is going to be able to afford one of these things? I mean, farmers are struggling buying their feed, let alone buy a new ute.

Leaf springs in the rear, why would you turn away from them? They do have coil springs in the front, but for carrying heavy loads, you wouldnt pass leaf springs. They are simple, durable and cheap. As long as they dont take shortcuts with the rubber shackle bush's like Ford does. Rubber bush's, **** weak.

If i ahd the cash, and the need to own one, i would more than likely buy one.

Nuff said.

Cheers!!! :evil3:
Old 31-03-2007, 07:23 PM   #66
DODDO
Can man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
work (ergon energy- electricity distributer) has been waiting for these to come on the market.

they would have hundreds of landcruisers across QLD.
we have been having overload issues and they are hoping that the new utes will be legal to carry a few more kg. we have just had one of our old n/a cruisers replaced with a turbo 6 and the power differance is great, another 20% would be real nice.select top gear and throw the gear stick away.

ergon has been looking for a alterative to the toyota but there is nothing avalable that will fill its shoes.

it is a real shame that ford or someone dont have a serious go at this huge worldwide market.
I work for Integral Energy and we have the same issues with overloading too.
Like I have just said, bullet proOf, but fix up the OH&S issues and they will sell like hotcakes!
Old 31-03-2007, 11:24 PM   #67
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
My 2.5 litre Nissan 4 cylinder TD has 403 nm, 430 is very average for a V8 TD.
Exactly what i was thinking. 4L+ TD V8 should be looking at 550+Nm. Again, Toyota have built to a market, will sell like hotcakes.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #68
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DODDOAU
I work for Integral Energy and we have the same issues with overloading too.
Like I have just said, bullet proOf, but fix up the OH&S issues and they will sell like hotcakes!
g`day.... i worked for "integrel energy" for 11 years, mid `80s til mid `90s.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 11:48 PM   #69
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
I think Toyota have got it right here

The latte drinkers can have they're Prado's, Rav4's and 200 Series Lancruisers, but this new 70s series is a work machine- carpets are useless and fancy dashes are not easy to mount cb's on. The return of the wagon is a pretty big thing and will put a huge dent in Landrover Defender sales. You only have to look at the resale of the 70 series ute's to see that is plenty of demand out there.

New motor sounds good to the old 4.2 was really past its useby date, about the only thing i think it needs is an Auto transmission option (5 speed say), but then again it probably isnt necessary.
Business means the need to visit building and road construction sites to quote, etc. So 4wd is used regularly, but highway comfort required too.
Whilst the job used to be always the ute's the need to secure valuable equipment and often take extra men along means the BILs work Territory TS AWD is more often than not chosen transport. Surprisingly capable offroad and great on.

The new Defender was high on the shopping list, looked good at MIMS, especially as the BIL's personal LR3 is so darn good.
The 135 Ute has highest resale value in Oz, better than Mercs and F250s which are up there too.
My personal vote (vetoed-darn) was for Jeep Unlimited CRD2.8.

Having used Cruiser trays since '88 till '06 (Hilux SR Xcab), the FIL/Boss is now giving serious consideration to the new Wagon - seems a lot of cash but it's cheap to own really. Like a quality tool, just keeps doing the job NQA.

I have to agree, with those departure and approach angles, oodles of useable grunt - bulletproof drivetrain vs outright power is prime, and extra track - that is one top package. 4x4 Australia article raves.
Should replace the Territory as his second family car Ok too.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #70
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love 4 wheel drives, and more particularly going 4 wheel driving. I love 4wds with capability. This "new" 70 series sucks! Even 90% of the people on Exploroz forums hate it, and they are there just to talk about 4 wheel driving. Problems....
1. a car doesnt have to be ugly to be capable off road or reliable
2. a Car doesnt need to have 50 yr old technology to be capable
3. Leaf springs are NOT the best off road, they are good for load carrying, and keeping the price down (coils provide much better articulation which enhances traction over the rough stuff)
4. This V8 diesel DOESNT have awesome power and torque at 150kw/430Nm that really sucks on a 2007 Common Rail 4.5L V8 diesel - but i bet Toyota has detuned it, because they dont trust any more power and torque than that in a 70 series. The new 2.2L diesel Corolla has 130kw/400Nm!!!
5. This thing is the price of a Discovery 3!!! With nothing in it! And it's not even that tough, the interior feels like its made in Thailand!

For once i am hearing Toyota fans talk about how crap it is! Bring on the 200 series Landcruiser, we can only hope it's as half decent as it ought to be!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 09:23 AM   #71
CrankR
XR6 Madness

I have the new Hilux which puts out 120kw and 343Nm of torque. They have put the same motor in the Prado now although have upped he kw's to 127 but upped the torque by a whopping 67Nm's to 410Nm's.
I am told that this is because the Prado has a different manual and auto that can withstand the extra grunt. More grunt is needed as it's a heavier vehical.

Soooo, maybe the torque on the cruiser has been dropped cause the running gear can't deal with it, and maybe this will be an extra improvement in years to come when they can put in a better gearbox and up the power.

Have no idea about how bullet proof the running gear on the Cruiser is....
Just thinking out aloud.
Custom Tune, Underdrives, Paccie #4490's with 2 1/2 Magnaflow
CrankR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #72
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DELETE

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #73
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
Mate of mine has over 700,000ks on his 75 series and it's never stopped once!
Not even for fuel? :
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 11:24 AM   #74
rodderz

70 series cruisers would probably be in the top handful of cars for reliability

The market they're aiming for- the farmers, tradies, country folk have a few specific wants. They want a truck that can carry and tow stuff, is simple, has grunt, easy to look after, reliable, and doesnt have too much mod-cons stuffed in. This is it, they have been surviving on 70 series for decades based on the same shape and have been happy, this is just a makeover of it

I know a few people who have had these for longer than I have been around, with no major dramas
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #75
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
70 series cruisers would probably be in the top handful of cars for reliability

The market they're aiming for- the farmers, tradies, country folk have a few specific wants. They want a truck that can carry and tow stuff, is simple, has grunt, easy to look after, reliable, and doesnt have too much mod-cons stuffed in. This is it, they have been surviving on 70 series for decades based on the same shape and have been happy, this is just a makeover of it

I know a few people who have had these for longer than I have been around, with no major dramas
Well said.

And that is why I want one. The last thing that I want when I am half across the gun barrel or the canning stock route is a god damned computer telling me that I must not start my car, or, no you must not raise the ride height. And I also want to be sure that when the back of the car is chock block loaded full of camping gear etc the springs are tuff enough to handle it. Gadgets are for urban cowboys. people that actually use these things as off road vehicles will be buying them. The 200 series cruiser will appeal the the Toorak soccer mum set.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:13 PM   #76
irsa76
Snoopping

This new 70 series is a stopgap model. Toyota it self stated that the only reason they brought it out was due to the current 6 cyl diesel no longer meeting Euro IV standards. The 200 series wagon is due later this year which will raise the bar for serious 4wd wagons. The all new commercial Land Cruiser is due in a few years and will address any shortfalls with the current model. The reason for the high cost is the 70 series is actually the lowest volume model Toyota builds. Also most of the components are either unique to the series or heavy duty. Plus unlike the Hilux, the Land Cruiser is still built in Japan.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #77
DODDO
Can man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
g`day.... i worked for "integrel energy" for 11 years, mid `80s til mid `90s.
Cool. Ive only worked there for 5 years now. Im a mechanic in the motor workshop at Narellan, formerly Minto Depot. What did you do?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #78
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Not bad, but im a Nissan man when it comes to 4WD's, take alot to move me!! :hihi:
Old 01-04-2007, 06:16 PM   #79
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVO_XR6
Not bad, but im a Nissan man when it comes to 4WD's, take alot to move me!! :hihi:
I like nissans too. But thet don't have anything in their range that compares to this. If a V8 diesel patrol were to appear, I would have to take a long hard look at both.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:30 PM   #80
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DODDOAU
Cool. Ive only worked there for 5 years now. Im a mechanic in the motor workshop at Narellan, formerly Minto Depot. What did you do?
i was a overhead linesman at the Kandos depot, out in the bush near bathurst.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #81
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
I like nissans too. But thet don't have anything in their range that compares to this. If a V8 diesel patrol were to appear, I would have to take a long hard look at both.
There's word about Nissan doing a diesel with Navistar International to get the 4.5L V6 Powerstroke thats used in the Cab Forward Ford LCF trucks. (Was going to be in the F150, but that's no longer) - That would be for the Titan, Armada and I would say Patrol too.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #82
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Seeing LC's all the time living out this way, so doesn't worry me!!!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 10:45 PM   #83
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I saw one at a Toyota dealer today, anyone driven one yet?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 10:59 PM   #84
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
I saw one at a Toyota dealer today, anyone driven one yet?
The dealer out here has 4 of them, but all are sold and a test drive is not available. But from what I have heard, they are very nice.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:12 AM   #85
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
They will be the biggest waste of money you could get..... $54k with no airbags, no ABS and NO AIR-CONDITIONING, plus the engine has been absolutely strangled to only produce those pathetic power out puts....
dude, its a Diesel, they are torque monsters not horsepower heroes!.
and not having an air bag in a new vehicle im pretty sure is illegal now.
ABS is hard to configure with Diesel. a lot of Diesels DON'T have it.
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 06:32 AM   #86
CrankR
XR6 Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYSEDAN
Why is this?
Custom Tune, Underdrives, Paccie #4490's with 2 1/2 Magnaflow
CrankR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #87
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I've driven several of these already now. Quite powerful... second gear is awesome!

Though, wait for the LC200 wagon at the end of this year. Twin turbo diesel V8 with 700nm torque!
Old 03-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #88
irsa76
Snoopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYSEDAN
dude, its a Diesel, they are torque monsters not horsepower heroes!.
and not having an air bag in a new vehicle im pretty sure is illegal now.
Airbags are not required by law. It's just for passenger car to pass the crash tests they need them. The LC 70 series is a commercial which at the moment doesn't need to pass the same crash standards. As for diesels not haveing ABS, what a load of rubbish. Every Mercedes diesel passenger car for at least the last 10 has had ABS, not to mention ESP. All current VW passenger diesels have ABS. The Holden Astra diesel has ABS. Heck the current Land Cruiser wagons have ABS in the diesel.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:31 PM   #89
irsa76
Snoopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
I've driven several of these already now. Quite powerful... second gear is awesome!

Though, wait for the LC200 wagon at the end of this year. Twin turbo diesel V8 with 700nm torque!
Chip any one?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:30 AM   #90
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Isnt a turbo territory like $65k??? And it cant even go offroad?!?!?

Point being, i dont think outbackjack would be looking at the cruiser with a view to running kids to school/supermarkets. He's got dirt and water in his neck of the woods