Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #61
buickman
buickman

Default Re: Vfacts Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Our golf 5 is a great little car. We bought it new and we haven't had any problems. It now has nearly 40000kms on it.
I wonder if the Golf being German made car has the expensive cost to change a battery over like a current BMW that has to have the BMW factory battery only fitted if it dies.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #62
Supercharged

What is with the Mazda 3 sales, I have driven one and it isn't worthy of the top mark.

And remember: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - meat pie in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #63
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged
What is with the Mazda 3 sales, I have driven one and it isn't worthy of the top mark.
Not to mention it is ugly as ****
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 10:55 PM   #64
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
I gather most car owners of small cars would use flying in between major capital cities instead of driving a large family car
STill dont get this fascination with big cars and long trips. My Golf was a way better drive over long distances - could easily do 14 hours in it. The Falcon OTOH, you were knackered after 8 and couldnt wait to get out of the seat.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #65
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged
compared to what?
It may not suit your requirements (judging by your list of cars) but it obviously does others.

Looks are subjective too.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #66
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Rather than trashing other brands, maybe we should be asking why Focus sells so poorly...
What is it about Focus that it rates so poorly with buyers?

And calling them sheeple is just burying our heads in the sand
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #67
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
STill dont get this fascination with big cars and long trips. My Golf was a way better drive over long distances - could easily do 14 hours in it. The Falcon OTOH, you were knackered after 8 and couldnt wait to get out of the seat.
Each to their own mate I guess. I prefer larger cars, but that's me. I like to stretch out. I like the feeling that I'm sitting in a lounge room basically!
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #68
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
Who is buying it?
Private buyers.

As bad as Falcadore sales are, Toyota is looking downright tragic.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #69
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Private buyers.

Toyota should be right by the end of the year.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #70
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Private buyers.

Too right 1600 odd Camrys, just goes to show when government sales fall away, Toyota is just as fragile as Ford and Holden.
Me thinks 3.0 Commodore may have displaced a lot of Toyota sales Camry/Aurion in state and federal govt fleets.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #71
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Rather than trashing other brands, maybe we should be asking why Focus sells so poorly...

There's no bigger Ford fan than me. I bleed blue blood. HOWEVER, when my mum was looking for a replacement to her old Meteor 2 years ago, it came down between the Focus and the Mazda 3. Unfortunately I just couldn't justify getting the Focus over the 3. The interior of the 3 looked a generation ahead. My mum was looking for the sedan version of either car. Side by side, the 3 just looks so much better. Now I know that the front of the 3 has an 'AU' like response from people. ie you either like it or hate it. My mum was after a black one, so the smiley face of the 3 is not evident as with other colours. In short, it looks great. The Focus is a great car. I would get an XR5 in a heartbeat if I could afford. The other models just lack something special when compared to the opposition.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #72
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

Unfortunately i think the Focus is getting a bit long in the tooth (Golf 6 was released and the Mazda 3 is a newer car), the new one can't come quick enough. Saw a new one today driving up St Kilda road it was a silver one. They look really sharp, pictures don't do them justice. They should do well if marketed well.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #73
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Unfortunately i think the Focus is getting a bit long in the tooth (Golf 6 was released and the Mazda 3 is a newer car), the new one can't come quick enough. Saw a new one today driving up St Kilda road it was a silver one. They look really sharp, pictures don't do them justice. They should do well if marketed well.
Agreed. The new Focus does look good. A pity it wasn't around 2 years ago. My mum would still be in a Ford! (Don't Ford still have a very small stake in Mazda still?)
Old 05-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #74
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Marketing...?

Bad publicity?

Poor public perception?

It's reaching the end of it's life-cycle, until the new Focus is released?

Possibilities are endless...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #75
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
Marketing...?

Bad publicity?

Poor public perception?

It's reaching the end of it's life-cycle, until the new Focus is released?

Possibilities are endless...
No, it's much easier than that.......it's PERCEPTION and Ford dealers

I know of a lot of people who flat out refuse to deal with Ford and nothing will change them.
A whole generation or two lost thanks to the ineptitude of certain businessmen and their slick tricks.

On a positive note,
Graziano recons there's hardly any product left at Broadmeadows storage area,
can anyone confirm this is true, it seems strange that the back log of cars is now cleared given low sales...
Old 05-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #76
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:

I know of a lot of people who flat out refuse to deal with Ford and nothing will change them.
A whole generation or two lost thanks to the ineptitude of certain businessmen and their slick tricks.
In my case, it was simply the product. We actually had pretty good service from Ford, the product just wasn't what we wanted when compared to the alternatives.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #77
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

On a positive note,
can anyone confirm this is true, it seems strange that the back log of cars is now cleared given low sales...
Yeah the fields are empty. But didn't know if they were cleared out or moved to were the Terri was.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:20 AM   #78
BroadyFord

Quote:
Too right 1600 odd Camrys, just goes to show when government sales fall away, Toyota is just as fragile as Ford and Holden.
Me thinks 3.0 Commodore may have displaced a lot of Toyota sales Camry/Aurion in state and federal govt fleets.
Don't forget that Toyota produce around 80-100k Camrys a year and export around 60% of that!
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #79
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
Just a thought Trev. Taking into account that vehicles are made up of hundreds of components from all over the country would you be comfortable buying a new car from Japan now ? Are they being honest with their own people regarding the radioactive fallout from the Fukashima plant ?

Run a gigacounter over your new Toyota from Japan before accepting delivery folks ?
Does that mean all Mazda's are radioactive over the past fifty years? They are made in Hiroshima which had an atomic bomb dropped on it.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #80
prydey
Rob

Quote:
as said already, each to their own! can you fit 4 people plus luggage in? horses for courses these days and we are lucky enough in this country to have a massive range of cars to choose from.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #81
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davez621
1847 is OK?!?! When just a few years ago, it was selling upwards of 6,000 a month?
oh dear.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #82
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Compared to what? An XF?

Nothing does big distance Aussie driving better than Falcon or Commodore. I go from my place near Alexandra (just north of Melbourne) to Sydney on a tank without stopping many times a year. Headlights, ride and comfort the Aussie cars rock on the big drives.

I can understand why Golf would be better on long trips than in the city though if it is a DSG one, I had one to use in Darwin when I was up there for a race meet recently and in the city the gearbox was pox, reacting too violently after waiting for what seemed like too long to drop down it would then go down too many. Hated it. But at least a Golf is okay on the secondhand market, where many of the higher end models Volkswagen dealers won't even trade them back in.

Last edited by mcnews; 06-07-2011 at 10:14 AM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #83
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I drove an F6 Tornado from Brisbane to Melbourne in day last year.. Was an easy trip in that thing...

Did the same trip in a Mazda 3 a year earlier and it was horendous.. Took longer (needed more fuel stops), was less comfortible...

Thats why I have an XR6, the Falcon is one of the most comfortible cars for me being over 6 foot tall.. that and the cooks Mondeo XR5, its comfortible to!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #84
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
Does that mean all Mazda's are radioactive over the past fifty years? They are made in Hiroshima which had an atomic bomb dropped on it.
Ha, ha, there's just a small difference with the timing of the two events. There's plenty of accounts claiming the Japanese Govt arn't being completly honest with their own citizens in regard to radiation leaking from the Fukashima plant. Help yourself and trust the Japanese and buy one of their cars if you wish. I'm sure you can be 100% confident every last single component manufactured from all over Japan is totally radiation free Good luck with that.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #85
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove a Ford Festiva from Brisbane to Perth!!!! Festy did it !!!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #86
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I drove a Ford Festiva from Brisbane to Perth!!!! Festy did it !!!
Mate people do the Nullabor on Postie bikes, I think its less to do with the vehicle and more to do with the person driving it.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #87
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Haven't done the postie bike, but have done DR650, ZX-9R, Fireblade, VFR1200 and BF F6 ute. Saw a guy doing it on rollerskates :-)
Old 06-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #88
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord
Don't forget that Toyota produce around 80-100k Camrys a year and export around 60% of that!
Nothing like that, Irecall Beutner skiting about the exports generating something like $7 billion revenue which worked out to $18K a car and that was before the GFC, things may have recovered for them but judging by 2010 loss I'd say exports are nowhere near pre 2008 figures...
Old 06-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #89
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

On a positive note,
They still have about 3000 Falcons too many. Well down on where it was, but need a couple more down days to clear out the backlog. I'd say they will be where they want to be regarding stock levels by end of next month.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #90
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davez621
1847 is OK?!?! When just a few years ago, it was selling upwards of 6,000 a month?
Without LPG, wagon and V8, and the current climate of large car segment downfall, those numbers are reasonable.

Of course they would want better, but 2500 to 3000 is where they could go if everything works out with LPi and the upgrade later in the year, and they would probably be happy with that. The days of 6000 plus are gone.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post