Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #61
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

A lower standard of thread?! It seems many people have missed the point of this thread and are going off on a tangent about it being fully within APIA's right to only insure a certain group of people.

This thread is about what is said in an ad, not what the ad is selling.

I doubt anyone here could care less that APIA wont insure them, but it shouldnt be up to a few people to 'tell off' people who want to voice an opinion by telling them they are whingers.

On an online forum I never understand why people bother to post comments like 'stop your whinging' etc because it is easier to click the back button.

We let people complain on here about a mountain of issues. I personally couldnt care less that APIA tells everyone in their ad that I am an unruly youth. But people on here are right, if Just Car said they insure young people because old people drive like crazy senile idiots, then ACA and TT and Just Car would be flooded with complaints and the ad would never be shown again. The people posing the question here are asking, Why the different standards?

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:40 AM   #62
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Hey, you want to whinge; go for it.
You want to try and give some weight to your argument by quoting facts and figures; go for it.
You want to try and give weight to your argument by putting down a whole community based on an opinion; don't complain when others take exception.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #63
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

What facts and figures could i possibly quote to support my argument that people are taking this thread off on different tangents and that I think people should be allowed to whinge and not silenced by others who disagree with them?

Putting down a whole community based on opinion is exactly what others have suggested that APIA are doing.

I interact with the elderly every day and have the upmost respect for them. Even those that are not 'elderly' but would be covered by APIA I respect aswell. I do not appreciate you suggesting I have a biased negative opinion about the older generations.

Oh Bugger this, I shall go sing my happy song...."Always look on the bright side of life, do do..."

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 11-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #64
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I just saw the ad. I a SO traumatised.....

Do you know why we don't have all the great car ads like overseas? It is because whinging petty precious wowsers who complain for the sake of complaining spend all their protecting us from ourselves. Scrooby, Gremaine Greer et al are a blight on society. They are dog turds on the footpath of life.

And it looks like we have a few as members here. If you don't like the ad, get revenge, DON'T BUY THE PRODUCT.
Now go and get ready, it is a school day and you don't want to be late.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #65
ltd
Force Fed Fords

GCFORDCHIC, my last post was not personal, it was general for the wider group who are as mentioned above, inclined to make comments like close to death, insane etc.
I don't know about your bias and quite frankly, I'm not sure I really care.

I won't sit by though as some idiots who obviously have limited intellectual faculties espouse nonsense about an entire group; a group which if they are lucky to survive they will one day join.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 11-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #66
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Insurance works by sperading the risk over a greater number of people.
If you change the kind of risk you are prepared to take on you change the premiums because you will have different statistics from a competior.

An insurance company can build thier own criteria for underwriting and hence then refuse business as it would not be in the best intrest of the other policy holders.

It just so happens APIA deal with unemployed people over 55.

Now someone did say that these people have less of a risk than younger drivers, OK yes this is fact and can be backed with statistics.

However those statistics will also tell you people over 70 have lots of accidents too, however unlike their 17-25 year old counterparts are usually a much cheaper sort of accident, like shopping centre accidents.

So I hope you can now see its not discrimanotry, its is protecting the intrests of others insured with them.

Pretty much what a CEO does for a company.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #67
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Basically, what I was initialy trying to point out is exactly what GCFordChic said... it's not about the product etc, but the way they are selling it. It's just unfair that all these P Platers are taking a wrap about crashes etc, when..... guess what... 94 P Platers died on our roads last year... So ******** what? How many non P-Platers died on the roads? It just doesn't help by APIA bending the truth and getting their own chance to brand young people, by over-generalising the younger community.... all I was saying is that it was unfair... and if the roles were reversed and we started over-generalising on older peoples mistakes and stupid/ignorent behaviour, they would kick up a stink....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 11-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #68
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Exactly, like grabbing a thesaurus in order to learn the difference between deaf and death.
Honestly, how can anyone be so stupid as to lodge a complaint about something so relatively harmless? Guaranteed the morons who complain would be the first to raise ire about having to pay extra for something if they were subsidising the elderly; evidenced by insidious and offensive comments like "they're going to be dead soon anyway".
I'm not saying this as an elderly person, I'm 33, but to base an argument on a generalisation of people's life expectancy smacks of the kind of complete ignorance and stupidity that is becoming increasingly endemic in today’s society. I'd suggest the perpetrators watch the big brother New Years Eve special and beat off to it again before lodging complaints about a harmless ad.
So what you are really saying is "if you don't agree with me you are stupid". Mate people are allowed to have a differeing opinion to yourself - if you dont agree with them raise your points why in a consise way without name calling or just click "back".

Personally I dont find the ad offensive, but I do think they are stereotyping young people, which is exactly what you are getting arced up about because people on here are stereotyping old people.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #69
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Exactly, like grabbing a thesaurus in order to learn the difference between deaf and death.
I think you mean a dictionary, most intelligent one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
I'd suggest the perpetrators watch the big brother New Years Eve special and beat off to it again before lodging complaints about a harmless ad.
I have never even heard of the Big Brother New Years Eve Special(you forgot to use capitals), guess we know what you were doing New Years Eve....
Old 11-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #70
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Basically, what I was initialy trying to point out is exactly what GCFordChic said... it's not about the product etc, but the way they are selling it. It's just unfair that all these P Platers are taking a wrap about crashes etc, when..... guess what... 94 P Platers died on our roads last year... So ******** what? How many non P-Platers died on the roads? It just doesn't help by APIA bending the truth and getting their own chance to brand young people, by over-generalising the younger community.... all I was saying is that it was unfair... and if the roles were reversed and we started over-generalising on older peoples mistakes and stupid/ignorent behaviour, they would kick up a stink....
This is where people get confused between RTA/QT/VicRoads etc and insurance companies. Road saftey and death tolls have NOTHING to do with insurance. If an insurance company does not cover you, it is not a personal attack, they look at statistics vs cost and risk. Not your personal saftey risk....the risk to the insurance company. (monetory risk) Of course though an insurance company cannot cover something that is ileagal. ie a high powered car when the relavent road authority restrics it.
Now the Road authorities look at things from a saftey point of veiw as they should. They are doing a job that is a service to the people of the state or territory. They do look at your personal saftey. APIA by the way do not bend the truth, what they state is correct if you look at the correct stats.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #71
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Honestly, how can anyone be so stupid as to lodge a complaint about something so relatively harmless? Guaranteed the morons who complain would be the first to raise ire about having to pay extra for something if they were subsidising the elderly; evidenced by insidious and offensive comments like "they're going to be dead soon anyway".
I'm not saying this as an elderly person, I'm 33, but to base an argument on a generalisation of people's life expectancy smacks of the kind of complete ignorance and stupidity that is becoming increasingly endemic in today’s society. I'd suggest the perpetrators watch the big brother New Years Eve special and beat off to it again before lodging complaints about a harmless ad.

Ooops, look behind you, I think you dropped your sense of humour....... :Reverend:
Old 11-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #72
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAFalconXT
I think you mean a dictionary, most intelligent one....

I have never even heard of the Big Brother New Years Eve Special(you forgot to use capitals), guess we know what you were doing New Years Eve....
whatever floats your boat.

Quote: