Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #61
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
Hey leave us dumb people alone, your shelves at IGA don't stack themselves! haha
your IGA wage pays for my dumb a** to spray your house for roaches, im many levels down the food chain from most guys on here lol
Old 23-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #62
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
See above POST 30, I mention this crash. A 'design' answer here is mandatory median barrier, meaning "in road design specification" for freeway/motorway class roads.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1225797851249

I'll seek an update on that section from Woy Woy fella. I expect its funding. This lot will likely have wire-rope on each side/approach, with yellow bollards in 'blocking', or might get full gatelock a la SYD dipper section.

NSW will not raise the 110km/h speed limit on its intercity freeway/dual carriageway roads, until the road gets full-length median barrier.

I do recall an ATSB study into 130km/h potential for such lengths, basically it concluded that it could be achieved without affecting overall network safety". As I say (NSW) - median barrier, we will see many more kilometres every few months installed.

.[/I]

KeepLeft, whilst road design could have prevented this accident, could the speed limit also be some kind of factor?

Crossing the median, to me screams fatigue or inattention or distraction. Trundling along at a slow 100-110 for long stretches of time creates almost coma-inducing boredom. whilst handling a car at a higher speed requires more concentration and awareness whilst also reducing travel time. Could accidents such as these be used as an example for increasing speed limits?

Also, you may have mentioned this before but is there a timeframe for the possible creation of 130kmh limits on the highway to Newcastle?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #63
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

NSW has an election in 2010/11 I recall, I would suggest 4-7 years before we get 130km/h limits on intercity freeway.

Ironically, atm RTA are reducing some rural signposted 110km/h speed limits to 100km/h (or less), because the lengths are not to 'highway standard' they say, but it may well be existing high-standard, NON DIVIDED 110km/h highway's that might first get 120-130km/h limits a la NT, - *before* the intercity freeway/divided carriageway runs. An exception rather than the rule if so.

Day/Night limits, discussed in other threads area possibility; higher in day that sort of thing.

One thing, I have little doubt certain driving fines will increase (not speed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Crossing the median, to me screams fatigue or inattention or distraction.
The human factor and its response to stimuli (or not), these are good reasons and are why we see increasing lengths of median barrier installation. I wan't all freeway class roads divided.

Here in NSW the soon to be constructed F3 to Branxton link (The so called Hunter Expressway) will have median barrier, they advise, virtually its entire length. Its median will be 12m and divided.

Quote:
Trundling along at a slow 100-110 for long stretches of time creates almost coma-inducing boredom. Whilst handling a car at a higher speed requires more concentration and awareness whilst also reducing travel time.
Whilst true, remember that in AUS we would be shifting the fatigue zone further along.

In Germany, they say the relationship between fatigue and time_on_the_road, regardless-of-speed-allowance, pretty works out about the same. Which seems fair enough, BUT we need to appreciate that under say a (//) situation, we are arguably a lot let stressed (about police), and perhaps too with a more reasonable speed-limit on high-standrd roads of 130km/h:- in the day.

Quote:
Could accidents such as these be used as an example for increasing speed limits?
The ATSB report mentions this, but the offset argument is the potential of 'greater' all round damage that can occure at higher speed.

Rem, even if we derstricted (//) OR went to 120-130km/h in the day, those on L, P1 and P2 licneses would remain 'restricted' to the speeds listed in their respective "license conditions".

The answer for these folk, I believe, would be to remove those particular restrictions.

We may well see mandatory safety vests (2) per car et al, warning triangle and a mandatory rear fog ADR function before all this eventuates. The latter ADR business item is under discussion tomorrow in Canberra. A cultural change. The triangle item we see taking shape under a new updated ARR 226/7 'corrects placement' in relation to speeds>80km/h and 'divided ciarrageway's'. 2010 will see this adopted by the States, later update will be made to apply to cars.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 23-11-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #64
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Oh I know that! I'd prefer to share the road with an experienced truckie any day than the average "Sunday" driver! I was referring to keeping left and the common thundering "B double in the centre lane" syndrome. In Europe they are in the kerb lane by law and limited to 90 kph. It makes a difference for overall use of the road. Despite the skill of truck drivers, car drivers do feel vulnerable when they're trying to get past something that size doing 110 in the middle lane (but slowing down to 60 on the next hill).

And bulk freight should be on rail, no two ways!
we`ll agree to disagree on your last point :.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote